Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Anyone else wish they not bought Diablo 3, and waited for this?

• 66 results
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@ProfessorEss: If you're talking specifically about marketing materials, then sure, I'd believe it (also I'm too lazy to check). The developers, however, made no bones about the heavy instancing.

Well I'm feeling equally as lazy so I won't  be proving you wrong or right either :)
    I am still very excited to see how GW2 pans out. 

Cautious optimism.
    Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Benny

@ProfessorEss: As someone who's played over 50 hours of guild wars 2, along with probably most people that have pre-purchased, I can tell you it is as much an MMO as WoW, perhaps even more so with more focus on players working together, everywhere, more persistence and a greater feeling of being part of the world.

Arenanet themselves said that when you see another player you shouldn't think "Ah crap, he's gonna get my mob/ore/item/loot," you should think "awesome, we can do this together or help each other out etc." And honestly, they've at the very least totally nailed that. Loot is per player (much like diablo 3), gathering nodes are per player, there aren't 'quests' in the traditional sense.

If you've ever enjoyed an MMO or even an RPG I'd definitely say check it out. It won't leave you indifferent.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By kindgineer

Are we really back on this bandwagon? No, I'm glad I fucking bought Diablo 3 and I cannot wait to play Guild Wars 2. I know people want to talk about opinions all day, but please get yourself a diary of some sort and share this nonsense with yourself. When you have something to say that hasn't been already beaten to death, than jump on the forums.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By deox

No way, Diablo 3 was great! I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 as well though.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By MariachiMacabre

That's a ridiculous comparison.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Stepside

I've played the living hell out of D3. Still love it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#57  Edited By project343

@ProfessorEss said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@ProfessorEss: If you're talking specifically about marketing materials, then sure, I'd believe it (also I'm too lazy to check). The developers, however, made no bones about the heavy instancing.

Well I'm feeling equally as lazy so I won't be proving you wrong or right either :)I am still very excited to see how GW2 pans out. Cautious optimism.

They did use the genre name "CORPG." They even made it a habit of not advertising much beyond 'online RPG.' It was the playerbase that lumped it into the MMORPG genre out of laziness. I mean, it was a pretty seamless online multiplayer experience--you move into towns and see players, group up, then go on an adventure. I certainly don't fault them for being lazy.

And this whole idea of "see[ing] how GW2 pans out" is a bit silly. Most of the people on these Giantbomb GW2 boards have put 70-100 hours into the beta thus far. It's persistent (perhaps moreso than most MMOs, as completed events do persistently change the world around you, much like Rift). It's massively multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't really compare those games, I didn't think Diablo 3 was worth the full price I paid for it, but it still a good game and I enjoyed my time with it.

I also don't see why you could only have one or the other, games aren't THAT expensive.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By cbarnes86

I bought, enjoyed, and still enjoy Diablo 3. I bought Guild Wars 2 a week ago and preinstalled it and will enjoy it as well. I don't regret purchasing Diablo 3 at all.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Bell_End

in a months time the foruum will be awash with people complaining that they spent 400 hours on GW2 and how they are now bored of it and that they waste £40 on a piece of shit.

its like a fucking stuck record these days...

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#61  Edited By fox01313

Agreed with others on hard to compare D3 to GW2 as they are quite different. Can't wait for GW2 as I was a fan of the first one & curious to see the 2nd one. D3 was fun to see after all this time but highly disappointing to me as the game felt like it was half to 2/3 of a game in terms of content/story with many things cut out for whatever reason.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Bell_End

@fox01313 said:

Agreed with others on hard to compare D3 to GW2 as they are quite different. Can't wait for GW2 as I was a fan of the first one & curious to see the 2nd one. D3 was fun to see after all this time but highly disappointing to me as the game felt like it was half to 2/3 of a game in terms of content/story with many things cut out for whatever reason.

what was cut out.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#63  Edited By project343

@Bell_End said:

in a months time the foruum will be awash with people complaining that they spent 400 hours on GW2 and how they are now bored of it and that they waste £40 on a piece of shit.

its like a fucking stuck record these days...

I think the community aspect of Guild Wars 2 will couple together nicely with Giantbomb's goofy community and keep people playing that game for a while. I'm so excited to see what sort of shenanigans Lincoln Force is going to get up to, particularly in WvW.

MrDean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MrDean

I think im kind of glad i didnt bother buying D3, Play the GW2 stress tests. Its amazing how time just flew. But i think they quest grinding is going to get a little boring.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Diablo 3's endgame is very disappointing, but I enjoyed my time with that game.

GW2 is probably going to be far superior, judging by what I've played and how much I loved the original.. but it's a very different game and I get the feeling the lack of a gear treadmill will lead to many of the same complaints.

New_Mandalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By New_Mandalore

The most enjoyment I got out of Diablo 3 was the 1-30 experience. When you start repeating acts it just feels like a grind. Then when you get to 60 it is just a grind. When Blizzard themselves use the phrase "farming" in explaining their end-game, something is severely wrong imo (in the 1.0.4 preview, they use "farming" multiple times). Since when is "farming" passable as the main type of gameplay? o.0 Farming should be something the player does out of choice, if he doesn't want to progress in the "normal" designed way. Maybe I'm just oldschool like that.

I got D3 with the WoW Annual Pass, so I can't really regret it. I got some enjoyment out of it and made a few bucks in the RMAH *shrug* I'll pick it back up again when they add any sort of endgame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.