Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Giant Bomb Guild

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

@SPeedy26: Hell yeah, that's my idea of fun. "Challenge" runs with everyone going engineer or something later on, when we've all finished the main quest.

Man, I can't wait. I just hope there's no BS like SWTOR, where us Australians have to wait 3 months before getting access. Cos of that, I think I'll just pass on that entire MMO.

@pepsimaxofborg: Nice having you aboard - see if you can post a short bio for the front page about your previous MMO experience.

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By SPeedy26

hey duders I was gonna make a GW2 video and was wondering whats a good video capturing software? ty :P

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#153  Edited By RobbieMac
    @SPeedy26: Fraps is free and not that bad from what I hear.
    SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By SPeedy26

@RobbieMac: ahh tyvm :P

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By Subjugation

@SPeedy26: What exactly do you mean when you say a GW2 video? Just editing some footage together that's already out?

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#156  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Count me in, I would love to be in a Giant Bomb guild

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By SPeedy26

@Subjugation: Just a little informational video expaining a bit about the games lore and/or mechanics. Gonna start with what I added to the GB wiki :P

like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrocnSgokV8

hoping to make a video game discussion series as well kind of like Extra Credits :P

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits -they do some good stuff

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SPeedy26 said:

@Subjugation: Just a little informational video expaining a bit about the games lore and/or mechanics. Gonna start with what I added to the GB wiki :P

like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrocnSgokV8

hoping to make a video game discussion series as well kind of like Extra Credits :P

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits -they do some good stuff

Nice link - these guys sound like they really know what they're talking about (talking about link 1).

Also, that short video stuff looks like a whole bunch of hard work - good luck bro.

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By SPeedy26

@selfconfessedcynic: ty I hope it doesn't all blow up in my face ^^

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160  Edited By Gizmo

Is this EU or NA?

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gizmo: Well, we're from all around the place. How the servers and guilds intertwine in GW2 is a bit of a mystery, but at worst we'll have a guild for each region. More likely, we'll have one guild which spans everywhere, considering how guilds worked in GW1.

@SPeedy26: Heh - I've done some extensive video editing myself (a year of pretty hardcore stuff helping a friend with their short film). I know how satisfying it can be when you finish something like this, especially if people like it. I'm sure myself and others here would be happy to proof your work if you want - and the internet is a surprisingly great place for information, so you'll do fine if you keep your nose to the grindstone and take criticism well.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162  Edited By Gizmo

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@Gizmo: Well, we're from all around the place. How the servers and guilds intertwine in GW2 is a bit of a mystery, but at worst we'll have a guild for each region. More likely, we'll have one guild which spans everywhere, considering how guilds worked in GW1.

@SPeedy26: Heh - I've done some extensive video editing myself (a year of pretty hardcore stuff helping a friend with their short film). I know how satisfying it can be when you finish something like this, especially if people like it. I'm sure myself and others here would be happy to proof your work if you want - and the internet is a surprisingly great place for information, so you'll do fine if you keep your nose to the grindstone and take criticism well.

Well then, sign me up.

I've never played Guild Wars 1, but i'm interested in GW2 due to the core changes it's trying to apply to MMO mechanics.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Itwastuesday

Nice job setting this up! The last time I played Guild Wars was > 5 years ago. Though I don't remember much about it, I do remember enjoying it a lot so I'm on board for GW2.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#164  Edited By imhungry

I definitely want to be in on this! Haven't touched the original game in forever but I'm really looking forward to this. Here from Asia though so I guess we'll see how regions work out.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay - more fresh blood! A warm welcome to you all ( & )

Man, I hope this game comes out sooner rather than later. 2011 kinda came and went, uno?

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#166  Edited By mx

I would love to join, played the shit out of GW. And I have owned Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall. I'm just hoping my pc wil run it.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Maystack

I really hope that the Guild Halls make a return from the original and we can buy all the traders to make the hall like our own Giant Bomb town.

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By SPeedy26

Well I'm getting started on the video's and the first one is going to be "The Orders of GW2" I'd love to get the guild's input of which episode sound most intrusting for me to do next or a suggestion of anything you want to see from a weekly(or monthly) series that centers around game design and mechanics mostly mmo's?

1.) GW2 Dynamic event structure and what we can expect

2.) engaging game play vs hard game play

3.) X misconceptions of GW2

thanks I'll keep that in mind :), but should I post the video on this thread or just make a new one for it when it's done?

@all new members: welcome

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#169  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @SPeedy26: I'd say to go whole-hog and put up a separate thread for the videos. It sounds like you'd want as many people as possible who are not already into GW2 to see them.
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SPeedy26: I'd have to agree with Dark_Lord_Spam, you'll be wanting to start a new thread for any new project or it'll get lost in the shuffle.

As for new content, your current to-do sounds cool. I'm a PvP guy, but we don't really know too much about it, so maybe "Guild Wars 2 PvP - What we know so far" or something like that (although that title is perhaps too purposefully corny for most)

In any case, focus on getting the first one out the door - and make sure your script is good. All the whizz bang stuff is useless if the content isn't there.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Subjugation

In any case, focus on getting the first one out the door - and make sure your script is good. All the whizz bang stuff is useless if the content isn't there.

Oh man .... that whizz bang stuff ...

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Subjugation said:

: D - hey duder, I'm a 23 year old Indian guy raised in Australia with the heart of a stereotypical decrepit old Russian man.

Bite me

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By SPeedy26

Just to let everyone know I've already posted the info I've collected on the GW2 wiki under Orders. just working it out so it would sound better :P

@Subjugation said:

: D - hey duder, I'm a 23 year old Indian guy raised in Australia with the heart of a stereotypical decrepit old Russian man.

Bite me

lol

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Subjugation

@Subjugation said:

Bite me

We'll settle this in Tyria. Be ready!

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By SPeedy26

@Subjugation said:

@Subjugation said:

Bite me

We'll settle this in Tyria. Be ready!

can I be the referee? I can sell tickets :P

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By supamon

Sign me up! I really liked GW1 and I'm pinning my hopes that GW2 will the redefining MMO that it hypes up to be. Love the lore and looking forward to do dungeons with fellow GBers!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah - perhaps we shall!

But it'll be in future tyria. I'll be either a human guardian or warrior. Have at thee!

- Good on ya. I could have sworn you were already signed up... must be a different forums or member I'm thinking of.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Subjugation

@selfconfessedcynic: Indeed it shall! My avatar may or may not provide insight as to what you can expect from me! En garde!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Subjugation: : D

Man, I can't wait for GW2 PvP.

Hopefully others here are as ready and willing as I am.

ED: BTW, mesmers are no fair. Bastard.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By supamon

@selfconfessedcynic: You must have mistaken me for Ultraman or something :P

I wanna try out the PVP too. It looks hectic and chaotic fun. Looking forward to setting some mesmers on fire lol.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Subjugation

@Subjugation: : D

Man, I can't wait for GW2 PvP.

Hopefully others here are as ready and willing as I am.

ED: BTW, mesmers are no fair. Bastard.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#182  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Maystack said:

I really hope that the Guild Halls make a return from the original and we can buy all the traders to make the hall like our own Giant Bomb town.

No Guild Halls at launch, they're being added some time later.

Hopefully it means they'll be a much bigger feature this time.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god - the face of reggie.

Anywho, I kindof hope they do put up a bunch of stuff post launch in the PvP department. You can blather on about how one game mode and many maps is good enough, but I wont be truly happy till I have something like the old GvG back. Perhaps smaller scale, etc, but I loved the idea of having a guild hall and defending it in battle.

I mean, it's called Guild Wars ffs. Perhaps that's just a tired old argument... ah well, I can only cross my fingers and hope.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Maystack

I was never really into the PvP in the first Guild Wars but I might try and get involved in GW2. Maybe it'll help to have an actual guild this time around

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#185  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

The problem with GvG and HA were how fast the formats became elitist and subsequently died out. Back in '05 I ran high-level PvP formats all the time, but once your average player figures out that they aren't welcome in an entire section of the game without being a rank 5 such-and-so, they stop coming back. At a certain point, it just became impossible to form a pick-up group because there weren't eight people in the entire outpost.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Maystack

Yeah I did quite a few Alliance Battles a while back, but then they changed it so you had to have a party before hand, and there was just one afk guy in the outpost.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, I agree with both of your points- but note that a lot of the reason as to why those places died out was the decline of overall GW1 players in general. People just moved on, and the hard core guys were among the first for the most part.

For a solid 2.5-3 years though, HA and GvG were very competitive and quite crowded most of the time. Perhaps it was because I had a pretty active guild, but I never had any problems getting into either when it came to finding a party and getting started, as there was always a guild member who was in a group already and shuffled me in. We stuck mostly to TA and GvG, but when we did do HA and wanted to do a noobs only group, we just started one and let others join if they wanted to. The internet is full of jerks, but there was usually (in my experience) a way for the more inexperienced to get into the PvP scene.

I guess what I'm saying is that it all came down to circumstance, and having a good guild helped in almost every case. I'm pretty sure noone here is going to take elitism laying down, so hopefully there will be very little of it within the guild. Plus, I'll be spending a whole bunch of time in the PvP areas after I finish the main quest a couple of times, so I'll be more than willing to help others get into it as I've done in the past - assuming it can keep me interested.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Subjugation

If I pick up the PvP in GW2 as quickly as I have in the past, I actually like the idea of "mentor" program to help others get their bearings. It benefits everyone in the long term. I've seen plenty of PvP novices become rather skilled, they just needed their PvP cherry popped and a little guidance from someone who knows what they're doing.

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By SPeedy26

Yup, I agree with both of your points- but note that a lot of the reason as to why those places died out was the decline of overall GW1 players in general. People just moved on, and the hard core guys were among the first for the most part.

For a solid 2.5-3 years though, HA and GvG were very competitive and quite crowded most of the time. Perhaps it was because I had a pretty active guild, but I never had any problems getting into either when it came to finding a party and getting started, as there was always a guild member who was in a group already and shuffled me in. We stuck mostly to TA and GvG, but when we did do HA and wanted to do a noobs only group, we just started one and let others join if they wanted to. The internet is full of jerks, but there was usually (in my experience) a way for the more inexperienced to get into the PvP scene.

I guess what I'm saying is that it all came down to circumstance, and having a good guild helped in almost every case. I'm pretty sure noone here is going to take elitism laying down, so hopefully there will be very little of it within the guild. Plus, I'll be spending a whole bunch of time in the PvP areas after I finish the main quest a couple of times, so I'll be more than willing to help others get into it as I've done in the past - assuming it can keep me interested.

the 5v5 format will be the replacement for the GvG format, being someone who only gvged once (my guild wasn't too much into many cordanated things so...) it just makes it easyer to get more ppl into pvp, because yourll have groups representing their guild, groups of random friends, and groups of mercenary all competing together. This will prevent pvp from dying as well.

If your talking about the GvG game mode it could be added in a 5v5 format,allowing everyone to experiencing the game mode :P, also WvW will be a big place for guilds to wage war's because of the whole guilds will be able to claim strongholds

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By RVonE

I played Guld Wars and Guild Wars Factions casually--having only logged about 400-500 hours. I used to play a necromancer/ranger but I'll switch to Norn two-handed warrior for Guild Wars 2. I play strictly PvE (often solo) and if the demands for this guild are not too hardcore, I'd like to be a part of the Giant Bomb guild just to have a nice place to return to after doing some questing.

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By SPeedy26

@RVonE: Giantbomb and hardcore in the same sentence :P

I see the guilds as a place for the community to hang while also doing stuff like pvp, pve, and WvW, we will prob schdule some stuff but it's not gonna be "sorry jimmy you need to leave the guild because your not pulling your weght in X like every other memeber in the guild goodbye"

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By RVonE

@SPeedy26 said:

@RVonE: Giantbomb and hardcore in the same sentence :P

I see the guilds as a place for the community to hang while also doing stuff like pvp, pve, and WvW, we will prob schdule some stuff but it's not gonna be "sorry jimmy you need to leave the guild because your not pulling your weght in X like every other memeber in the guild goodbye"

That makes me really happy; sounds like my kind of guild!

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By SPeedy26

@RVonE: also remember GW2's guild system dosn't lock you too one guild, you can join multiple guilds so your never gonna be in a position of choosing between a friends guild and the Best bomb based guild their ever will be!

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By RVonE

@SPeedy26: Oh, I didn't know that; that's actually pretty cool. I have only recently decided that I'll give GW2 a shot and am just now catching up to all the news.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Subjugation

I suspect the guild will be home to players of all types. I'm sure there will be plenty of more casual/social types, as well as those who are seasoned MMO veterans that could be labeled "hardcore", so I wouldn't worry about fitting in. We will be one giant conglomerate of duders.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Subjugation said:

If I pick up the PvP in GW2 as quickly as I have in the past, I actually like the idea of "mentor" program to help others get their bearings. It benefits everyone in the long term. I've seen plenty of PvP novices become rather skilled, they just needed their PvP cherry popped and a little guidance from someone who knows what they're doing.

I couldn't agree more. My GW1 guild started off as me and 3 other guys from high school who were pretty deep into PvP - and then we began picking up a couple of other guys from school and a whole bunch internationally and essentially trained them up to good PvP standard. In the end, we were a PvP guild even though it definitely didn't start that way - and all done without fucking BS elitist crap, just patience and time.

PvP has a pretty well deserved stigma but if we maintain a good environment here, I hope to convert a bunch of the rest of yall.

ED: Not that I'll hold it against anyone who simply doesn't like PvP. As others have said, this guild appears to be destined to be a happy-go-lucky sort.

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By SPeedy26

@selfconfessedcynic: I'd love to start a 5v5 team and see where we can go from there :P

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SPeedy26 said:

@selfconfessedcynic: I'd love to start a 5v5 team and see where we can go from there :P

Hell yeah - but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Time zones will be a bummer - and other commitments. I don't think many of us are in High School anymore : /

More importantly though, we still don't know when this game is coming out (although all dev hints point towards this year), and if it'll be available in all regions at the beginning. Again, I hope this doesn't end up like star wars - although I've heard aussies can just import that game and play on US servers, so perhaps there is hope.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Subjugation

Hell yeah - but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Time zones will be a bummer - and other commitments. I don't think many of us are in High School anymore : /

Very true. It was really hard to get arena matches in for WoW because my 2v2 partner lived in South Korea. Our sleep schedules were basically reversed. On the plus side though ... Asian. Also, I think the vast majority of us are university aged or older, so time constraints are likely a real issue. I don't see myself being anything but casual during weekdays, with perhaps a little more free time on the weekends. Real life, yo. All of this talk really is premature though since we still only have the muddiest idea of when the game will be released.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reality is a cold hard bitch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.