Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Guild Wars 2 Pre-purchase now!

• 85 results
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By RobbieMac
    @isnipeyoudie: @shinboy630: Great thanks guys.

@Rolyatkcinmai: What is so funny?

@project343: Great, do you know if I must use the same email as my GW1 account to get my HoM items?  Or will there be some other point where we will be able to link out GW1 accounts.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Beaudacious

I'm disappointed by all the play.com, gamestop, amazon customers, you do realize you guarantee the largest possible share of profits to the developer when you buy directly from them.

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By CaptainTryHard

Anyone else having trouble registering their codes to their GW1 accounts? It's telling me that my email is bologna :(

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@MikkaQ said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

@MikkaQ: Or see if they have an open beta closer to release. The game won't come out for a while (I'm betting late Q3), so if you're not sure, it's perfectly fine to hold off for now.

I'm still secretly bitter about not getting into the beta. But yeah I hope there's an open beta pre-release, because the last MMO I blindly bought (TOR) ended up disappointing me a lot. The old GW and EVE are the only MMOs that drew me in.

They've confirmed that there won't be a completely "open" beta. The BWEs are your only shot at an early trial, which means either getting lucky with a beta code e-mail or pre-purchasing a copy of the game.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Beaudacious

@RobbieMac: If you want to register a GW1 account now you have to use the old email which will be your forums email. But i'm fairly sure that you'll be able to change it once there are actual account options.

On registering a GW1 account later, i'm not sure but i'd think they would have an option for linking later. Again the main issue is there are no real account options beyond registering, changing your display name, and changing your password.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Vorbis said:

Charging an extra £20 is rather greedy, even for a F2P game. I hope this is a mistake as not even Activision or EA have gone over £40. From the GW2 twitter account it sounds like it may be an error, hope so.

Diablo 3's digital edition is £45. Practically every digital console game is £50 also.

You're paying for an MMO without a subscription (not a F2P game!) and getting access to the beta weekends, a bonus item and a 3 day headstart. Like I said in the original post, if you don't think those things are worth it, wait. GAME.co.uk are already only charging £30 for a standard pre-order.

@SteamPunkJin said:

I never touched the first Guild Wars so I don't know how a lot of these things work - Does anyone think the Summon Mistmire Wolf and Char Mini are worth the extra $20?

Absolutely not. We don't know what the skill does exactly, but chances are it's not going to be particularly useful later on in the game. Mini pets are purely for bragging rights, but showing off one you paid $20 is never going to be as impressive as a rare one you find in the game. It also seems like the digital version will remain on the store for purchase after release, meaning you can upgrade your account at any point and get those items. They're not rare, they're not limited and they're not worth the extra cash. Save it and buy a few character slots or something instead.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Vorbis

@Adamsons said:

@Vorbis said:

Charging an extra £20 is rather greedy, even for a F2P game. I hope this is a mistake as not even Activision or EA have gone over £40. From the GW2 twitter account it sounds like it may be an error, hope so.

The pricing isn't an error, they know what they're doing. The Diablo 3 digital edition is upwards of £40 also.

F2P != No sub. :-\

Diablo 3 is £35. GW2 is £15 more, conveniently about the same price as a months subscription usually is. Along with the cash shop it's seemingly less of a bargain then they make it out to be.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Adamsons

@Vorbis said:

@Adamsons said:

@Vorbis said:

The pricing isn't an error, they know what they're doing. The Diablo 3 digital edition is upwards of £40 also.

F2P != No sub. :-\

Diablo 3 is £35. GW2 is £15 more, conveniently about the same price as a months subscription usually is. Along with the cash shop it's seemingly less of a bargain then they make it out to be.

Digital edition of Diablo 3 is 44.99 right now on Battle.net.

I'm not disputing you though, they know that people are going to pay to get into the beta events and early access and that is why its priced how it is.

Edit.

No Caption Provided

>:D

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Gonmog

Just got a with the beta code and early start code. But still have not paid? Confused....

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Vorbis

@Adamsons: Ah then my mistake, I just hope these are special cases and not the start of a new trend.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By MikkaQ

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@MikkaQ said:

@isnipeyoudie said:

@MikkaQ: Or see if they have an open beta closer to release. The game won't come out for a while (I'm betting late Q3), so if you're not sure, it's perfectly fine to hold off for now.

I'm still secretly bitter about not getting into the beta. But yeah I hope there's an open beta pre-release, because the last MMO I blindly bought (TOR) ended up disappointing me a lot. The old GW and EVE are the only MMOs that drew me in.

They've confirmed that there won't be a completely "open" beta. The BWEs are your only shot at an early trial, which means either getting lucky with a beta code e-mail or pre-purchasing a copy of the game.

We'll see then, I've had my name in there ever since they started taking e-mails, so hopefully I'll make one of them.

They'll eventually have a trial anyway, that's how I played GW to begin with. I don't need to be the first to play a new MMO anyway, they tend to launch awkwardly.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Subjugation

@Adamsons: You already got a client download link? :(

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Adamsons

@Subjugation said:

@Adamsons: You already got a client download link? :(

My connection has picked the best time ever to go crappy.

http://i.imgur.com/mKbcD.png

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Subjugation

@Adamsons: Bummer. Was it through your email or on the inaccessible official forums?

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Adamsons

@Subjugation said:

@Adamsons: Bummer. Was it through your email or on the inaccessible official forums?

Forums.

Curiosity more than anything.

Edit - This was a stupid idea, I wasnt that bothered earlier, but now I totally want to play.

Dat music.

http://i.imgur.com/jYTbZ.jpg

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Maystack

Seeing other people redeeming codes, I already regret not buying a digital version to get instant access to the code.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Adamsons: Even if you download the client, you won't actually be able to log in and play.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Adamsons

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Adamsons: Even if you download the client, you won't actually be able to log in and play.

I'm well aware.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#69  Edited By tearhead

Finally they accepted my card. Ended up ordering from my phone using my college's internet.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By Aronman789

I bought the game, now where are the forums? Did I do something wrong?

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Beaudacious

@Aronman789: Forums are blank right now, they go up along side the beta weekend events. I believe?

Asseroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Asseroth

@RobbieMac said:

I have never bought a digital copy of a game, so how does it work?

Are you serious?

Well, uh you click on what you want to buy, put in your info, then you get a code or a download link.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Adamsons said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

I'm well aware.

Fair enough, I was just trying to be helpful. You should also know that the old beta client you're downloading doesn't work with the upcoming BWE though, which seems to be why the forums were taking offline, for those wondering.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Cake

Just realized that when I bought the game the price showed up in USD, that usually doesn't happen considering I live in Israel.

Wonder if that just means we default to the US datacenter/region, or it was a mistake... hopefully it won't say I can't play this version here.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By UssjTrunks
    @Cake said:

Just realized that when I bought the game the price showed up in USD, that usually doesn't happen considering I live in Israel.

Wonder if that just means we default to the US datacenter/region, or it was a mistake... hopefully it won't say I can't play this version here.

They totally fucked up with the region locking. I've heard people say that buying from South Africa defaults you to the EU datacenter but buying from Lesotho is NA (meaning that you technically can't play the game in SA if you bought it in Lesotho and vice versa). It's beyond stupid that Israel would be NA, especially since it's so close to Europe and travel between the two is common.

EDIT: From their Twitter (via Guru):

@GuildWars2 please someone help us here , all middle east folks kinda screwed coz we redirected and bought the NA version. we should be EURO

@alkaint we are working on purchase issues for players in the Middle East as a matter of priority, updates later today ^AT
    Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Cake

@UssjTrunks said:

@Cake said:

They totally fucked up with the region locking. I've heard people say that buying from South Africa defaults you to the EU datacenter but buying from Lesotho is NA (meaning that you technically can't play the game in SA if you bought it in Lesotho and vice versa). It's beyond stupid that Israel would be NA, especially since it's so close to Europe and travel between the two is common.
    EDIT: From their Twitter (via Guru): @GuildWars2 please someone help us here , all middle east folks kinda screwed coz we redirected and bought the NA version. we should be EURO
    @alkaint we are working on purchase issues for players in the Middle East as a matter of priority, updates later today ^AT

Well that was dumb of them, hopefully they'll sort things up soon.

The price in USD was cheaper, wonder if they'll actually ask people who already bought it, like me, to pay the difference because of their stupid mistake.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Cake

Amazing, they literally keep answering the same questions ("when's the beta?" etc.) over and over and over again on Twitter, but never answered an actual question like what the hell happened with their region locking stupidity.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Beaudacious

@Cake: Region locking makes sense when you consider their bread an butter audience, which is NA and the EU. Most of those people would only change region for short amounts of time for vacations. Again its majority customer base vs. minority, they're also probably only marketing hard in the NA, EU, and OC is probably secondary. They've tried some stuff in SK and JP, but those markets have their own Asian games that are extremely popular.

Personally i understand how region locking simplifies data storage for those core audiences, its also supposedly suppose to help with gold farmers, and such from other countries like china spamming NA servers. I don't know how that last part works since it seems kinda iffy, but apparently veteran mmo players assure me it does drastically reduce that crowd.

Considering I can't play most Korean/Japanese mmo's or online games since those companies focus on their local markets. Its no surprise a NA developer focuses on the western world, and anything else is really an after thought.

I sucks, but unfortunately its how it is.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Cake

@Beaudacious said:

@Cake: Region locking makes sense when you consider their bread an butter audience, which is NA and the EU. Most of those people would only change region for short amounts of time for vacations. Again its majority customer base vs. minority, they're also probably only marketing hard in the NA, EU, and OC is probably secondary. They've tried some stuff in SK and JP, but those markets have their own Asian games that are extremely popular.

Personally i understand how region locking simplifies data storage for those core audiences, its also supposedly suppose to help with gold farmers, and such from other countries like china spamming NA servers. I don't know how that last part works since it seems kinda iffy, but apparently veteran mmo players assure me it does drastically reduce that crowd.

Considering I can't play most Korean/Japanese mmo's or online games since those companies focus on their local markets. Its no surprise a NA developer focuses on the western world, and anything else is really an after thought.

I sucks, but unfortunately its how it is.

Ah sorry man, should've explained my "stupidity" comment. I have no problem with region locking, and the way they do it, but their store/site seemed to have messed it up somehow and assigned the wrong versions to some places. Which if that's true, I just paid for the US version that won't even work here in Israel. I'm trying to get an answer from them, but no luck so far.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#80  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Cake: I'd trust ArenaNet to work these issues out (hopefully without charging customers extra). They don't want to create a culture of inconvenience before the game even launches.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Cake

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

@Cake: I'd trust ArenaNet to work these issues out (hopefully without charging customers extra). They don't want to create a culture of inconvenience before the game even launches.

Yeah I know they probably will, it's just making me crazy they're not answering any questions other than "when's the beta".

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By UssjTrunks
    @Beaudacious said:

@Cake: Personally i understand how region locking simplifies data storage for those core audiences, its also supposedly suppose to help with gold farmers, and such from other countries like china spamming NA servers. I don't know how that last part works since it seems kinda iffy, but apparently veteran mmo players assure me it does drastically reduce that crowd.

Region locking servers stops gold sellers, not physical region locks like the one Anet is implementing. You are allowed to play on any server you want in GW2. All the physical region lock does is stop you from buying the game in cheaper foreign currency and from logging in from another country.

This is a problem for exchange students right now because they can't prepurchase the game while on their exchange.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#83  Edited By tearhead

Is there anyway to see what countries default to which region? I go to college in america but go back to my home country of Barbados during the summer. It would suck if I couldn't play when I'm over there.

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cake

@Tearhead said:

Is there anyway to see what countries default to which region? I go to college in america but go back to my home country of Barbados during the summer. It would suck if I couldn't play when I'm over there.

That's what I'm trying to find out too, but so far no one's answered me on Twitter or their Costumer Support... Maybe you'll have more luck with it

Cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Cake

Huh, well someone on Twitter finally answered;

@GuildWars2: If you bought the game from our site, you were automatically sorted into the correct region. ~RB2

So Israel is sorted into the US region? Not sure who came up with that logic... Oh well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.