Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Lincolncast Episode 16 Live - 9pm Eastern, Sat 08-11-12

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Lincolncast Episode 16 Live - 9pm Eastern, Sat 08-11-12 (or 11-08-12 for us normals)

Hi guys!

If you aren't GW2'd-out from the two stress tests this week, then you're welcome to join us for the live recording of our 16th episode.

I can't promise we'll interact much with the chat during the show, and it won't be a four-faces format so you wont be seeing much in the way of video (unless has some recordings of his time in pvp) - but before and after we'll be happy to answer questions, and we may do some live recorded questions if anyone does in fact show up.

Check it out at twitch.tv/Dourin

The main topic of the show will probably be another debate: "What race would we recommend?"

Unless anyone has any better suggestions? Chime in here.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow - on the lead-up to this episode, we've finally been called repulsive. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing from where I stand.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/38049-explicit-the-lincolncast/#entry1712807

(post 27)

Do you guys think we should tone it down a little? I refuse to town it down to absurdity (we will never be a clean podcast, and I don't think we'll even hit bombcast levels of matureness), but let us know if you've sensed it getting worse and worse.

Though I will admit that episode 15's start was worse than usual : ) (but I wouldn't change it for the world)

ED: Oh, and here is an archive for our live test show (I'm lookin' at you )

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Branwulf

Personally it's my favourite GW2 related podcast, all the other ones are incredibly "PG" and mostly boring with no real personality at all, keep it up and let the oversensitive people cry in a corner.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Benny

@Branwulf: Word, you can't please everyone so you might as well make the best podcast you can for your listeners and everyone else simply doesn't have to listen if they don't want to.

It's one of the worst things about the internet, when instead of people unfollowing on twitter, unliking on facebook, not viewing a webpage, not listening to a podcast etc. and moving on with their lives, they feel the need to waste more of their insignificant existences by talking at length about a thing they supposedly hate, doing nothing but generating more hits for them.

It's like people don't understand that voting for EA as the worst company in America, or posting tirades about game retailers and such will actually work, when in reality if they ignore them completely, that will be worse for them than anything else. After all, if enough people stopped buying stuff from one company, they would be out of business by the end of the month.

rant over, can't wait for the podcast duder.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jack268
    @selfconfessedcynic: I think he's just upset someone called out his detailed anime figures 

That said it might've gone a bit too far. I would probably be pretty sour if someone kept making jabs at my hobby or whatever at least once per 5 minutes for 3 hours
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Heltom92

Wow how can you go onto a internet forum and still be offended by well.. anything really.

Acara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Acara

Everyone's a critic.. Personally I love the podcast how it is, don't change it for one altar boy. It's nice to hear people talk like I do for once. I'm sure there's plenty of G rated podcasts people can listen to if they want to.

autolock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By autolock

Cynic I would like to discuss a bit about crafting. I did not find it as simple as most mmos and would like an explanation of what to expect in gw2. This is also a topic that most gw2 podcast have not talked about much. I normal spend alot of time in mmos crafting/gathering so it interest me. Thanks and hope to be in chat tonight to listen live if that's ok.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maystack

@selfconfessedcynic: I think the podcast is far from repulsive. Maybe I'm too desensitised, but I don't actually remember any times that you curse or make sexual references. I do have a terrible memory, so that might be part of it.

@Jack268 said:

I think he's just upset someone called out his detailed anime figures.

Or it could be that.

ED: Oh, and here is an archive for our live test show (I'm lookin' at you)

<3

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UssjTrunks

Repulsive? If anything, I'd say you guys are too tame. :P

Then again, my background is from Eastern Europe, where our idea of PG content includes breast nudity, sexual humour, and extreme profanity.

But seriously, it's fine the way it is.

What we need is more British/Aussie accents.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By No0b0rAmA

That person totally said in the Tales of Tyria thread "This is the best podcast period". It's a conspiracy to shut us down!

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ZoomyRamen

Fuck that fucker! No one one the fucking podcast swears or is fucking vulgar. He can go get fucked by a cactus up his ass fucking prick.

Cracker333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cracker333

I'd like to hear a detailed breakdown of the Engineer class.

The weapons and there associated skills

The kits and what they are useful for.

The traits, and which traits would be used while playing DPS/Support or Control

The utilities/healing skills and elite skills, and which ones are for which role (DPS/Support and control)

Which runes work well on the engineer for the different roles on a team.

Also where can I find a team for structured PvP tournaments come launch. Are there any websites dedicated to forming PvP teams? This topic might be nice to throw into at the end of the show.

Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Also keep the podcast on topic, I listen to this for GW2 information. As awesome as skyrim and anime dolls are , the're really off topic. Discussing them for 5 minutes is fine, 30 minutes is not.

If I want to hear about anime dolls, I'll download some anime doll podcasts.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Subjugation

@selfconfessedcynic: Much adieu about nothing imo. The podcast isn't a pay service so it isn't like you have customers to please. It is what it is, people should know that, and they are welcome to come and go as they please. People just have a penchant for being dramatic on the internet. Like this:

is incredibly immature. He is too over the top and out of place for our professional environment. I mean, just look at him in the wild:

Clearly unfit for anything. Like living. At all. Period.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Bollard
    @selfconfessedcynic the sheer number of people ive seen posting in the guild thead saying they wanna join merely cause of the podcast is testament to me that you should definitely not change.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Gonna get to listening to the Lincolncast. I like to have a podcast for my MMO of choice and all the GW2 ones I've tried so far have completely awful or pretty much never update.

ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By ZoomyRamen

@Subjugation: That's me on a good day!

Bahloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bahloo

Please don't change a thing. The [Explicit] tag ain't there just for fun.

I still feel the same way about The Lincolncast as I stated on GW2Guru (as Bucks). This is by far the most honest and sincere podcast out there

ED: @your response on GW2Guru: Good God Cynic, if your job didn't work out for you, I'm sure you'd make a great diplomat =D

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheers all for your responses.

@No0b0rAmA said:

That person totally said in the Tales of Tyria thread "This is the best podcast period". It's a conspiracy to shut us down!

TOT is good, but they're so booooooring. Each to their own I guess.

@autolock said:

Cynic I would like to discuss a bit about crafting. I did not find it as simple as most mmos and would like an explanation of what to expect in gw2. This is also a topic that most gw2 podcast have not talked about much. I normal spend alot of time in mmos crafting/gathering so it interest me. Thanks and hope to be in chat tonight to listen live if that's ok.

I think we'll get to this today unless things get out of hand.

@Cracker333 said:

I'd like to hear a detailed breakdown of the Engineer class.

The weapons and there associated skills

The kits and what they are useful for.

The traits, and which traits would be used while playing DPS/Support or Control

The utilities/healing skills and elite skills, and which ones are for which role (DPS/Support and control)

Which runes work well on the engineer for the different roles on a team.

Also where can I find a team for structured PvP tournaments come launch. Are there any websites dedicated to forming PvP teams? This topic might be nice to throw into at the end of the show.

Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Also keep the podcast on topic, I listen to this for GW2 information. As awesome as skyrim and anime dolls are , the're really off topic. Discussing them for 5 minutes is fine, 30 minutes is not.

If I want to hear about anime dolls, I'll download some anime doll podcasts.

Hmm. I think this is too in-depth for this episode, especially as none of us are particularly knowledgeable when it comes to the Engineer. I've started doing research on it, and I can say that the current most viable PvP builds for the Engie are conditions builds - and happily I have already written up a pretty sizable guide for gearing up to deal good condition damage. It was made for Necromancers, but can be applied anywhere, read it here (1st response post). The general rule of thumb IMO is - to be survivable - have at least 23,000 hp if you want to survive via vitality or 2700 Armor+Toughness if you want to survive via damage reduction. Those numbers go up to 27,000 hp and 3000 total armor respectively if you're a warrior for anyone who wants to know.

As for the rest of the information, I think the current best place to find that is here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/48097-engineer-spvp-in-depth/ It isn't perfect, so I would read the comments for more info. Once you've read that for an outline of many of the skills, move on to this one for some theory crafting: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/48024-most-effective-condition-builds-for-tournaments/

We'll proably have one or two sPvP teams of low-seriousness here, but boons & conditions is a good place to find guys who sPvP a tad more competitively but also aren't total jerks. They also have a decent semi-regular podcast.

Finally, when it comes to staying on topic for the podcast, I think we'll be sticking to having 20 mins out front for random bullshit - it gets the ball rolling and keeps things away from being too serious. It was 30 this week, which was way too long, so I'll try and keep that down in the future. However, if you want some good, purely informative GW2 podcasts, I'd say Guild Cast, Build Cast, Tales of Tyria and Boons & Conditions are the ones to listen to.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By project343

So excited. Hope my Quaggan vs. Asura proposed argument makes the cut! :P

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Oh wow - on the lead-up to this episode, we've finally been called repulsive.

Never change. <3

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god - dourin is nowhere to be seen.

Ooooooh nooooooooooooooooooo

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kronk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kronk

Bumpage (LIVE NOW!!)

Cracker333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cracker333

Thanks for the info Cynic.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UssjTrunks

: I think we should get a formal build thread going for release where we can post guides to our own builds as well as links to other builds we've found to be effective.

silentdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By silentdante

i'm tellin ya, the guild leaders should get a guild website on one of the free guild hosting sites like the one i suggested in another thread, www.guildlaunch.com and when it is set up, you can have news items, a whole forum system to set up for each profession and crafting and all that kind of stuff.

unless they have plans already in effect, or are just to busy, which is understandable.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Subjugation

@silentdante: We actually had (have?) a website that we opted not to use because we were getting everything that we needed done accomplished right here on Giant Bomb. http://lincolnforce.shivtr.com/

That decision is subject to change should we re-evaluate the idea and have a change of heart.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@selfconfessedcynic: I love how you guys handle yourselves on the podcast. The one thing I'll say is just as you shouldn't arbitrarily censor yourselves, you also shouldn't be vulgar "to play to an audience" (if that makes any sense). Just speaking naturally will typically have the best results, as I'm sure you all have found.

Agreed on ToT, by the way. I spent two-thirds of the one episode I watched either in another tab or asleep.

Selona83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Selona83

Personally I kinda like ToT (less and less thou). But I agree that it can get kinda....well yeah maybe boring as you said, at times. So in my book they are kinda "slipping" more and more every episode for me

They tend to talk 80-90% on WvW, Freelancer manipulating the market and Team Legacy conquering. A lot of hardcore things. Nothing wrong with that ofc. I just feel that they are giving pve less and less time overall. Compare to when the show started.

But again...its a big part of the game, the pvp. So a lot of podcasts will ofc focus on that.

I sometimes wonder if I chosen a good game to "fall in love with", due to heavy pvp in it. But I guess that is why I have a problem "connecting" (in lack of a better word) with a lot of the podcasts, since its their focus

Linconcast have always felt more relaxed to listen to. Even thou you guys ofc want to be as good as you can in pvp. Even thou its a lot of swearing at times you can tell that you guys dont really mean any harm (right:P?)

Again...am probably making no sense here as always guys. Sorry about that

Keep up the good job with the show. Look forward to talking some to you when the game is out :)

PS: I have always been a pve guy myself. Dont get me wrong. I probably love the WvW if I get to play it with some nice ppl/guild:)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By TheHT

@Selona83 said:

I sometimes wonder if I chosen a good game to "fall in love with", due to heavy pvp in it. But I guess that is why I have a problem "connecting" (in lack of a better word) with a lot of the podcasts, since its their focus

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from. I don't mind much since there's not a whole lot to discuss PvE-wise given the little we're even able to play in BWEs and stress tests, and it does give me some insight into a part of the game I have little interest in playing.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Branwulf

ToT is a Team Legacy ePeen parade to be honest, Freelancer wowing people with basic economics isn't enough to impress me, they could have summed up his entire point in a sentence rather than making it seem more complicated than it is.

I don't even know why they have more than 2 people on, it's just Bridger and Freelancer talking 99% of the time anyway.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Selona83: @TheHT: Don't worry - though myself and Dourin are going further into the PvP rabbithole, Noob shall always be a PvE guy so at most we'll be a balanced podcast in the future, never a full on PvP show (as I think we have demonstrated thus far)

If anything, I may break off PvP into its own show (assuming someone out there is willing to host and produce : P )

Selona83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Selona83

@Branwulf said:

ToT is a Team Legacy ePeen parade to be honest, Freelancer wowing people with basic economics isn't enough to impress me, they could have summed up his entire point in a sentence rather than making it seem more complicated than it is.

I don't even know why they have more than 2 people on, it's just Bridger and Freelancer talking 99% of the time anyway.

Yeah it kinda is now when you mention it. No disrespect or anything to them. They do a good job and are serious about it. But Vega or Kaiye(spelling?) that seem into pve a bit more dont talk much.

I watched/listen to every single episode of theirs since the start. And the closer it get to launch the more it turned into what you were saying there.

I want to be very careful in uttering criticism. Just because I know I would not do a good job myself in a podcast.

But here is a example: In the episode where they were talking about the crafting/gathering. Instead of just looking from a "fun factor" stand point. Freelancer went on for like 30 min or so how to play the market and all that. I understand that some ppl like that approach to it. I guess what am trying to say is that I feel that everything in that show is about being the best competitive wise to be best prepared for WvW. THus again I really like the relaxed approach "our" guys in Linconcast have

So I guess we have to team up some in game and play some pve then at launch:)

Take care guys:)

Selona83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Selona83

@Selona83: @TheHT: Don't worry - though myself and Dourin are going further into the PvP rabbithole, Noob shall always be a PvE guy so at most we'll be a balanced podcast in the future, never a full on PvP show (as I think we have demonstrated thus far)

If anything, I may break off PvP into its own show (assuming someone out there is willing to host and produce : P )

Well cynic....I want to learn pvp. You guys can just be mine and TheHT mentor I guess:P

Also, I hope you understood that I wasent criticising your show. I think its great that you guys are taking your own free time to provide a good discussion for the community to listen to in these podcasts.

PS: Tell Noob he is not alone in his fight for pve! ;)

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By xymox

Any one place to get hold of all the episodes or so? I used the podcast thing and managed to get 1, 2b, 3 - 12, 14 and 15.

Think the youtube channel had 7+ from what I could see. Would be nice to have them in one spot..

silentdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By silentdante

@Xymox: itunes has an archive of every show except the one from last night... so far

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By xymox

@silentdante said:

@Xymox: itunes has an archive of every show except the one from last night... so far

Cool, thanks

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xymox said:

Any one place to get hold of all the episodes or so? I used the podcast thing and managed to get 1, 2b, 3 - 12, 14 and 15.

Think the youtube channel had 7+ from what I could see. Would be nice to have them in one spot..

Yup, that's every official episode (the RSS those programs use is the same iTunes uses and is everything you need). We do have some specials which are just on Youtube, but you've found our channel already and those are all there.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By UssjTrunks

I think the PvE discussion will pick up once the game goes live. There just hasn't been much to discuss because so little has been revealed in the betas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.