Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Mesmer is the final profession

• 58 results
    Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Benny
    Confirmed by Martin Kerstein (I think) on the official guild wars 2 twitter account after apparently having been leaked a short time earlier. 

The tweet reads: 

"Yes, Mesmer is the final profession. Seems like someone jumped the gun. Official reveal will be on Wednesday, stay tuned." ~MK

Always liked the class in guild wars prophecies, though I was convinced by how coy they've been about the whole reveal that they were going to rename it and re-purpose it a bit.  
    Guess we find out Wednesday!
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By BabyChooChoo

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In case you can't tell, this news pleases me.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NickL

I always thought the mesmer was the perfect hero class in GW1 but not actually fun to play for a person... hopefully they do something about that in GW2

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By NyxFe

@NickL said:

I always thought the mesmer was the perfect hero class in GW1 but not actually fun to play for a person... hopefully they do something about that in GW2

It's fun if your reflexes are good enough to hit 0.1 second timings, mine aren't, sadly.

I'm excited to see it back for gw2, though, Mesmer had some interesting spells.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?! I fucking hated the Mesmer class. The skills were cool, but they were SOOOOOO boring. They had their place in PvP, but it was a place that was easily replaced by an Ele/Necro.

Oh well. Plenty of other classes to pick from.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

Thank god, it was the only one I wanted!

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Of course it is. On a more discussable note: not all of these skills seem super "Mesmer-y" to me. Clones? Sure. Teleport holes? Why not. Giant purple lightning? Uhhh... seems like someone reskinned an Air Magic spell.

@NyxFe: Yeah, I'm terrible at the GW1 Mesmer for the same reason. You have to know in an instant whether a skill is worth interrupting.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Clones? Sure. Teleport holes? Why not. Giant purple lightning? Uhhh... seems like someone reskinned an Air Magic spell.

Oh man, those sound pretty awesome. I was gonna be an elementalist but... well I'll wait till wednesday to see them in action.

edit: oh, here we go.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The mesmer was very much the iconic Guild Wars class, I'm happy to see them back.

Seems like they've had a pretty drastic overhaul too, their skills are (at least visually) a lot more appealing this time. I love the duplication and the portal tricks :)

Oh, and they can equip pistols and swords now? I'm definitely in favour of them being more of a "rogue" type class with magical abilities.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By project343

Seemed like a very obvious choice for a final class. Trying to decide: Engineer or Mesmer? Hmmph.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Adamsons

Conjured phantasms? :]

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Skogen

@jakob187 said:

They had their place in PvP, but it was a place that was easily replaced by an Ele/Necro.

Because Elementalists and Necros have interupts? And heavy e-denial? And the ability to disable enemy skills?

Mesmers were by far the most unique class in Guild Wars 1. Playing mesmer you could easily destroy PVE enviroments and in GvG, totally destroy teams.

Troncek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Troncek

\o/

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By CornishRocker

Fucking embargos being broken again. I feel bad for ArenaNet, this is the third time this has happened now.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @CornishRocker: Yeah. I'd understand a beta-tester breaking NDA, but when "official" gaming news sites throw out the media that they've been given before A.Net has a chance to set up their full unveiling? That can't feel good for the people who put work into it.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Looks awesome, but not my cup of tea at all. Will be going warrior or guardian.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By damswedon

Yes! Only class I care about is back!

I better save up and build a new PC.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By zyn
    @TheHT said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Clones? Sure. Teleport holes? Why not. Giant purple lightning? Uhhh... seems like someone reskinned an Air Magic spell.

Oh man, those sound pretty awesome. I was gonna be an elementalist but... well I'll wait till wednesday to see them in action.

edit: oh, here we go.

Thanks for the video. I wasn't interested in playing a Mesmer in GW, but I will make one for GW2.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zityz

@damswedon said:

Yes! Only class I care about is back!

I better save up and build a new PC.

Yea. same here. Mesmer was my favorite class in the first one. Seeing it back in the second makes me all man-child inside

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By shinboy630

From the looks of some of the skills, looks like they are trying to make them useful in PvE (which it took them years to be in GW1 with the crazy OP-ness that was cryway) right out of the gate, which could either be awesome or terribly broken. I'm personally hoping its the former, but we shall see.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bestostero

yay yay yay! Mesmers is the only profession I like in GW! finally!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Dagbiker

Is gw2 using the same subscription model as gw?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker: Yes - ie, none. (you pay for expansions, and/or to unlock stuff which may be found though exploration in PvE - but otherwise, free).

Man, I really like the special effects of all the mesmer stuff. BUTTERFLIES OF DEATH RETURN.

But yes, the beam of lightning may look like a retooled ele skill, but its sound effects are badass. In any case - looks like the new mesmer can be boiled down to a melee/ranged damage/control class with plenty of options.

In other words, right up my alley. Man - warrior, guardian or mesmer... cant decide.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Dagbiker: Yep. Buy to play with an in-game store for cosmetic items.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Seppli

The most exciting bit about this news for me. ArenaNet is moving forward and starting to talk about GW2 again. Fixing to hear about the beta particulars soon.

On the topic of the Mesmer reveal - the class looks cool and mighty advanced, the more flavorful spells are awesome (Zone of Invisibility, Teleport Zones), but overall a bit too light-purple and butterfly-pretty for my taste. A class which doesn't fit to a Charr just ain't for me. I just don't see me shooting butterflies and glitter from my fingertips, respectively clawed paws.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli: FACT: real charr wear purple.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Beaudacious

Idk how i feel about the Mesmer from what i've seen so far. I think am going to play War or Necro.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By RobbieMac

I don't think anyone is surprised by this news.  I am glad I can run a mesmer again.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Hamz

In the first Guild Wars the Mesmer class was a fairly useless one to play as in PvE and a boring class to play in PvP. Bit surprised to see them bringing the class back if I'm being honest.

That said this isn't the first surprise we've seen regarding the new professions. The fact they've combined the Paragon and Ritualist to create the Guardian still leaves me a little saddened. They were two of the most visually striking and unique classes in the first game, not to mention two of the most useful as well for both PvE and PvP.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Hamz: In the current meta, Mesmers can churn out massive AoE interrupts and spike damage, making them one of the most useful professions in PvE. I always found that their entertainment value in PvP had a lot to do with the player's ping. Ritualists had to wait for the spirit-cast reduction to come into their own in PvE, while Paragons are pretty limited to one accepted PvE build (a savagely boring one). The only time you really see Paragon skills in in PvP are when casters take the profession as a secondary for "Fall Back!".

I would say that the Ritualist and Paragon have had their different roles split among the Engineer, the Guardian, and the new Warrior.
    BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BionicRadd

@CornishRocker said:

Fucking embargos being broken again. I feel bad for ArenaNet, this is the third time this has happened now.

The bigger problem is that ArenaNet has been talking about this game for so long, I do not know how many are truly "hyped" about it, anymore. Most folks, I wager, have resided to not care until we get a release date. I've gotten hyped up over, bought and forgotten who knows how many games since ANet started hyping this thing.

That said, I will probably still get it, but at some point, the only thing I want an announcement on is when the damn thing is actually going to be a real thing I can play.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @BionicRadd: To be totally fair, ArenaNet hasn't really hyped the game at all. They've just given more access to the development process than is typical for a game. The hyping has been done by the people who are watching, and excited for it.
    CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By CornishRocker
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Oh man the trailers make Mesmer look overpowered as fuck.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BionicRadd

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Youve got a point, there. I just worry that by the time it comes out, people will have lost interest or see it in stores and think it's been out for months.

Are they planning to bring back the Heros? Im hoping for a game we can actually solo around in without need for NPCs.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Dagbiker: GW1 had more free content than most subscription based MMO's. We're still in the middle of getting the Winds of Change mini-expansion and there'll be the big Wintersday festival soon. It really impresses me how much effort ArenaNet still put into the game, since it goes well beyond what you get from games you pay a hell of a lot more for.

I'd expect GW2 to be much the same, they'll charge for the main expansions, costumes and character slots, etc. But since they get money from the box sales they can avoid the piece-mealing of content you see with F2P games.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Funkydupe

Do races have different attributes? A certain race is better at spells etc?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Funkydupe: Nope. Only differences between races (besides the obvious ones) are personal story and a few unique PvE skills.
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Funkydupe:

To agree Dark and clarify;

• When Dark said there are no differences other than the skills between races, he meant it. All races move at the same speed, have access to the same classes and interact the same ways with the environment.
    • The races have the same attribute pools, additionally, the classes are quite binary in that they can either use specific weapons/gear or not. When it comes to classes, your character can learn and use every skill for his class independent of race.
    • There are race-specific skills but they will be pretty well balanced, will be known before release (if that's your thing) and I believe they are PvE only
    • Non-mechanically, there is, however, one important difference between races and that is the starting zones. You begin the game in a different spot depending on your race, and we are not sure how easy it is to see the other starting areas with one character. I assume you can at least visit them, but whether you'll have access to the flavor quests (by this I mean events) or not is also unknown.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @selfconfessedcynic: It's known that you'll be able to hop in your race capital's Asura Gate right after you complete the tutorial, so (while you won't be making any story progress) all of the content will be open to every race.
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Samaritan

That crazy-ass purple beam in that video sounds eerily familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. I want to say it sounds like Reapers from Mass Effect but... I don't know. Regardless, that thing sounds ridiculous and the class looks like a ton of fun. Count me in!

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

It's the final profession FOR NOW BWAHAHAHAHA!

Anyway.

I really loved playing a Mesmer in GW1. This looks way fun.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dark_Lord_Spam: Oh cool - I missed that.

I dunno - I think I'll save the starting zones for each individual character. Seeing everything the first time through ruins things.

Anywho - the point about more classes is a valid one. I already cant wait for the first expansion : P

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

After burning out on WoW a few years ago, this game makes me want to get back into MMO's. Everything about this game looks phenomenal, the combat, classes, stories, quests, pvp, etc. I am glad to see a developer trying to do something unique rather than copy WoW. Oh and the art style ifs fucking gorgeous.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@selfconfessedcynic: The first expansion will almost definitely add the Tengu, everything is set up so perfectly for them to be the sixth race. They even have a starting location near Kryta that won't be accessible at launch.

I'm not sure we'll see any new classes though, at least for a very long time. They've been very careful to make each one really unique, I'm not really sure what else they could add that would decently stand out, without just getting into the realms of "warrior, who uses some magic".

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind: I actually didn't even think about new races. Man, tengu would be pretty awesome - for some reason I always liked the Tengu as an antagonist way more than the Charr. Perhaps they just looked and acted (animation wise) a bit more uniquely.

As for classes, I've begun to take new classes with expansions for granted. Perhaps there are few places to go, but I have a hard time believing that. For instance, look at any of the 8th profession speculation threads out there and you'll see a bunch of really interesting, imaginative ideas being thrown around - of course, we got the Mesmer, which I'm quite happy about. Additionally, Anet originally planned for there to be 12 classes, but junked 4 of them due to game mechanics - these are usually (seeing how GW1 came around) re-purposed and combined into new classes, so we'll at least see one imo. In the end, I thought the same thing in GW1 for a while and then things like the ritualist happened, and I was blown away. (man, I liked the ritualist a bunch)

But yes, I'd play Tengu in a heartbeat.

ED: To be back on topic, check out the wiki page for them, there's a bunch of info here (the skills page specifically, which has some names I hadn't heard before)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mesmer

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_mesmer_skills

Hah - I actually chuckled at this one.

SPeedy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SPeedy26

@CornishRocker said:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

The joke on the GW2 home page is [ph]antastic, shame the reveal was spoiled early.

I see what ya did their :P

but the it seems the GW2 Mesmer Took a level in Badass compared to the Mesmer in the original guild wars not saying the original's a push over tho :P I can't wait use my Dual Wielding/Greatsword clone bursting magic swords man Mesmer build :P

@Dagbiker said:

Is gw2 using the same subscription model as gw?

yep. B2P with yearly expansions like the original GW's

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Benny

@selfconfessedcynic said:

It should surely be the name of their shadow clone spell no? :)

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Benny said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

It should surely be the name of their shadow clone spell no? :)

Hehe - true, true. I loved that movie.

I find it interesting that the wiki notes that the greatsword will be used as mainly a ranged weapon. I wonder what the rest of the skills look like. Man, stop tickle-feeding me and just tell me everything already : /

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By UssjTrunks

I loved Mesmer in the original game. One of the most useful professions, too bad no team ever wanted them.

On a side not, who else is a little concerned about the guardian profession? It's essentially a monk and a warrior rolled into one. Seems a little over-the-top to me. It's going to be the ultimate farming/running/soloing character, and will probably be picked by 90% of players. I hope they nerf it and just bring back the standard monk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.