Guitar Hero 5 is out today. Anyone picking it up?

  • 53 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

I thought about picking the game up early so I can get a free copy of GH: Van Halen.  GH5 does look like a big improvement over World Tour.  It has more modes, better online, and franchise compatibility.  Just the big deciding factor for me is that GH:VH deal.  If it didn't have that deal, I would probably wait and get it some time next month.  Anyone else getting the game?
 
EDIT:  Metacritic page for Guitar Hero 5.  So far so good.

#2 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

HAHAHA....nope!!

#3 Posted by francesthemule (155 posts) -

no 
 
#4 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

I'm still debating on whether to pick it up or not. If they weren't including VH for a limited time I probably wouldn't even consider getting it for quite some time, until the price came down. Meh. 
 
I just want Beatles RB to come out already...

#5 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

Oh wow, it's out today?
 
No.

#6 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

Nope.  Smash Hits might be my last guitar hero game.

#7 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I decided to preorder it a few days ago because I think the Van Halen is too sweet to pass up. Honestly, if it wasn't for Van Halen, there's no chance I would have bought GH5, but I was considering getting GH: Van Halen anyway, so I figured I might as well get both for $60.

#8 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Nah.  I barely even buy DLC for Rock Band anymore.  I'm excited for The Beatles, but not as excited as I was a few months ago.

#9 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" I decided to preorder it a few days ago because I think the Van Halen is too sweet to pass up. Honestly, if it wasn't for Van Halen, there's no chance I would have bought GH5, but I was considering getting GH: Van Halen anyway, so I figured I might as well get both for $60. "
Agreed.  I'm in that same pickle right now.  Two games for the price of one.  It's hard to pass up on that.
#10 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

It's not out in the UK until the 11th, I want it so bad. I really wanna play "Judith" by A Perfect Circle and "Under Pressure" by Queen.

#11 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@JJOR64: Oh, dude. By the way, if you didn't go for the Van Halen deal already, I believe you're too late.
#12 Edited by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

I may rent it, play 2 songs, and get some trophies, and send it back.

#13 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" I decided to preorder it a few days ago because I think the Van Halen is too sweet to pass up. Honestly, if it wasn't for Van Halen, there's no chance I would have bought GH5, but I was considering getting GH: Van Halen anyway, so I figured I might as well get both for $60. "
Agreed.  I'm in that same pickle right now.  Two games for the price of one.  It's hard to pass up on that. "
You know what, that actually is a good deal, but the idea of a GH: Van Halen is repulsing me (love the band but the trailers have been shameful) and Rock Band is coming out with a lot of GH5's songs as DLC this year. Thus, my interest has subsided. That being said, The Beatles: Rock Band is looking great. That is what I am interested in.
#14 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I bought GH5 and so far its million times better than world tour 
it looks alot better, all the animations on all the rockers are on par or better than rockband 2's, online is not a horrible clusterfuck anymore, I like most of the songs 
it will happily tide me over till rockband 3 comes out next year.

#15 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I'm taking a break from rhythm games in 2009. I might continue this break through 2010 as well. RB2 is in it for the long haul.

#16 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Guitar Hero is like the saw franchise to me at this point. I lose track of numbers and when they're released, and before you know it, I'm staring dumbfounded at some webpage muttering "What? Five already? Didn't four like... JUST come out?".

#17 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I'll probably have my mom get it for me on my birthday, which is soon

#18 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @JJOR64: Oh, dude. By the way, if you didn't go for the Van Halen deal already, I believe you're too late. "
I went to Gamestop and they said you didn't have to pre-order it.  Just get an early copy (like 1st week) and it should have the download ticket for it inside.
#19 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" @JJOR64: Oh, dude. By the way, if you didn't go for the Van Halen deal already, I believe you're too late. "
I went to Gamestop and they said you didn't have to pre-order it.  Just get an early copy (like 1st week) and it should have the download ticket for it inside. "
Yep. The promotion officially goes until the end of the month I think. Just make sure you get a copy with the sticker on the front about GH:VH, or if you order it online at amazon or something it should say "with Van Halen offer" like this one.
#20 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" @TheGreatGuero said:

" @JJOR64: Oh, dude. By the way, if you didn't go for the Van Halen deal already, I believe you're too late. "

I went to Gamestop and they said you didn't have to pre-order it.  Just get an early copy (like 1st week) and it should have the download ticket for it inside. "
download ticket? its not a download you have to send them the code on the back of the manual with the sales receipt and in 6 weeks they mail you back a full on reatil boxed copy of guitar hero van halen 
#21 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @JJOR64 said:

" @TheGreatGuero said:

" @JJOR64: Oh, dude. By the way, if you didn't go for the Van Halen deal already, I believe you're too late. "
I went to Gamestop and they said you didn't have to pre-order it.  Just get an early copy (like 1st week) and it should have the download ticket for it inside. "
download ticket? its not a download you have to send them the code on the back of the manual with the sales receipt and in 6 weeks they mail you back a full boxed copy of guitar hero van halen  "
Well, what I meant to say is that you put in some code online and they will mail it to you.  Don't know why I said download ticket.  :P
#22 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

hell no, i find those games pointless...

#23 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

I don't care much for these GH/RB/DJH games.  They are fun to play at a friend's house, but nothing I would shell out money for myself.

#24 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Nope, i'm happy with World Tour.

#25 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @JJOR64 said:

" @TheGreatGuero said:

" @JJOR64: Oh, dude. By the way, if you didn't go for the Van Halen deal already, I believe you're too late. "
I went to Gamestop and they said you didn't have to pre-order it.  Just get an early copy (like 1st week) and it should have the download ticket for it inside. "
download ticket? its not a download you have to send them the code on the back of the manual with the sales receipt and in 6 weeks they mail you back a full boxed copy of guitar hero van halen  "
Well, what I meant to say is that you put in some code online and they will mail it to you.  Don't know why I said download ticket.  :P "
actually when you put the code in online they say ok print this out and mail it to us 
so theres no point in doing to online
#26 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@trophyhunter: True.
#27 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@spankingaddict said:
" hell no, i find those games pointless... "
what about the point of fun?
#28 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

I personally cant stand guitar hero/rockband.BTW is it really necessary to put out a new one like...every year?Theyre all the same just with new songs :/

#29 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @spankingaddict said:
" hell no, i find those games pointless... "
what about the point of fun? "
you might as well listen to some music, its basically the same but more relaxing...
#30 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@BigBoss1911 said:
" I personally cant stand guitar hero/rockband.BTW is it really necessary to put out a new one like...every year?Theyre all the same just with new songs :/ "
Madden does it.  Why can't Guitar Hero?
#31 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

no, I'm happy with the superior game, Rock Band 2. :D

#32 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -
@BigBoss1911 said:
" I personally cant stand guitar hero/rockband.BTW is it really necessary to put out a new one like...every year?Theyre all the same just with new songs :/ "
Indeed.
#33 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @BigBoss1911 said:
" I personally cant stand guitar hero/rockband.BTW is it really necessary to put out a new one like...every year?Theyre all the same just with new songs :/ "
Madden does it.  Why can't Guitar Hero? "
I never said I liked what madden does either.It would be perfectly fine if they released one guitar hero and one madden every 2 years,not every year.
#34 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
" Nope, i'm happy with World Tour. "
If I had WT, I'd probably get GH5.  Has new modes and the songs from WT export.
#35 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@BigBoss1911 said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @BigBoss1911 said:
" I personally cant stand guitar hero/rockband.BTW is it really necessary to put out a new one like...every year?Theyre all the same just with new songs :/ "
Madden does it.  Why can't Guitar Hero? "
I never said I liked what madden does either.It would be perfectly fine if they released one guitar hero and one madden every 2 years,not every year. "
That is true.  The games would probably be a lot better if released every other year.  I guess EA and Activision just want to make money.
#36 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

Seriously? That's how much I don't care about this game... 

#37 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

No
 
and
 
Thank you

#38 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" no, I'm happy with the superior game, Rock Band 2. :D "
I can agree with you there when compared to GH: World Tour.
#39 Posted by Blair (2531 posts) -

No chance.

#40 Posted by Miniapple (1 posts) -
@JJOR64: You hit it right on the button with your last sentence, "I guess EA and Activision just want to make money".  That is exactly the reason they keep releasing titles constantly.  However, Activision is really trying to ruin the GH franchise.  EA has been a lot more diligent and seems to be taking a more cautious role to not dilute the Rockband brand.  Activision and EA, in the end, have to answer to their shareholders who want them to make as much money as possible.  I also wonder how much say Vivendi has in pushing more GH titles, being they own 54% of Activision Blizzard.
#41 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -

I'm getting GH5 for the 360.  It shipped-out from Amazon today. 
 
Amazon had a pre-order deal where you get: 
GH5 + 
GH:VH + 
$10 game credit for future purchase + 
$5 in amazon MP3's + 
$5 more in GH5 MP3's 
for $59.99 
 
I guess I couldn't pass it up. 

#42 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Nah, I stopped playing Guitar Hero after the 3rd one. 

#43 Posted by ProlificShadow (399 posts) -

No. Just no. 

#44 Posted by Blair (2531 posts) -

NEVER.

#45 Posted by Ugalde (140 posts) -

My friend got it but I will never.

#46 Posted by dopeman (387 posts) -

i would rather shoot myself.

#47 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
#48 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

I'm getting it. The surprisingly high review scores and VH deal were enough to convert me.

#49 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

User reviews of 6.4/10.  Given the amount of Guitar Hero hate that I see on the boards, that doesn't surprise me at all.

#50 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -
@clubsandwich said:
" no, I'm happy with the superior game, Rock Band 2. :D "
same =D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.