Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Metallica

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 29, 2009

Guitar Hero: Metallica is the second band-specific game in the Guitar Hero franchise. It features 28 songs from the world famous heavy-metal band Metallica, as well as 21 guest acts - picked by Metallica themselves.

FANTASTIC track list, holy smokes!

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Someone already had a blog post and/or thread up about this that was being discussed.  Regardless, I will say again:  "Beautiful Mourning" is a good song, but I would've rather seen "None But My Own", "Now I Lay Thee Down", or "Descend the Shades of Night".

And they need to get rid of the Slayer.  It's a cop out for "difficulty".
    BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BlackWaterCO

If you think War Ensemble is a cop out for difficulty then I guess you feel the same about Disposable Heroes on the soundtrack

btw, I was banned for a week so I had no damn clue someone had already posted, oh and I forgot to mention i don't care

There's a thread for everything then, so everyone should stop posting by your logic

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "If you think War Ensemble is a cop out for difficulty then I guess you feel the same about Disposable Heroes on the soundtrack

btw, I was banned for a week so I had no damn clue someone had already posted, oh and I forgot to mention i don't care

There's a thread for everything then, so everyone should stop posting by your logic"

Didn't know you were banned, so congratulations on the dick response to that.  =  D  Almost makes me wonder where the response came from.  As for Slayer being a cop out for difficulty, yes, it is.  Raining Blood was a bullshit song to have in Guitar Hero III, and it's bullshit to continue having Slayer in the games.  While I love the band and their music, the fact is that Guitar Hero is also supposed to be about having fun.  With GH Metallica, I guess it's not a huge deal given that they have the Expert Plus difficulty, so they are expecting a ton of crazy songs to be in there.  So it's kind of whatever, but I feel like putting a Slayer song in the game is a waste when you could be putting something that's a bit more worthwhile, like some Exodus instead.  I mean, that WAS only Kirk's band BEFORE Metallica.  It would be killer to have them on the game instead of Slayer, but whatever, right?
    I'm still waiting for someone to put Sikth on a game.

Anyways, welcome back...I guess.  Now that I think about it, it was kind of peaceful around here.  P.S. - nice avatar, but The More Things Change would've gained some more respect from me.  Might've shown you actually KNOW something.
    sociald1077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By sociald1077

I must say, that set list kicks huge fucking ass. You're right about HoS, I wish that was there, along with Motorbreath, Hero of the Day and Through the Never.

This is definitely on my list, I just hope people don't come out and say "its too hard!" Its fucking Metallica and a bunch of other metal bands and songs. This is not the place for beginners.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlackWaterCO

You bet ya

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By dethfish

I'm happy now. When I saw the first batch of known songs in the game I was unsure whether I was going to like this game or not but now I'm sure I will. They have my 3 favorite songs in there, Orion, Seek & Destroy and Creeping Death, how could this game not be awesome now? Even the "not metallica" songs are good. Am I Evil? Hell yes.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I saw Machine Head live on the 18th......yuck. It probably had a  lot to do with the fact that I was unfamiliar with their music, but I already have a predisposition to anything that's full of gutteral screaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

YEAH! BEATLES ROCK BAND WILL RIP YO' METALLICA A NEW ONE

On a side note, I expect all songs in GH: Metallica to be has hard as Through the Fire and the Flames was in GH3.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pibo47
    Gorillawhat said:
    "YEAH! BEATLES ROCK BAND WILL RIP YO' METALLICA A NEW ONE
    On a side note, I expect all songs in GH: Metallica to be has hard as Through the Fire and the Flames was in GH3.
    "
    No, Metallica is better than the beatles.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pibo47 said:
    "Gorillawhat said:
    "
    No, Metallica is better than the beatles."

YES! \m/
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Snipzor
    Gorillawhat said:
    "On a side note, I expect all songs in GH: Metallica to be has hard as Through the Fire and the Flames was in GH3."
    Isn't everyone here clearly overexaggerating the guitar skill from Metallica? Seriously, they aren't that fast in comparison to other metal bands (Atheist comes to mind, and they are Prog Metal)
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Snipzor said:
    "Gorillawhat said:
    "On a side note, I expect all songs in GH: Metallica to be has hard as Through the Fire and the Flames was in GH3."
    Isn't everyone here clearly overexaggerating the guitar skill from Metallica? Seriously, they aren't that fast in comparison to other metal bands (Atheist comes to mind, and they are Prog Metal)"
    James is considered one of the best rythem leads in the industry last i checked.
    JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JohnDudebro
    Gorillawhat said:

On a side note, I expect all songs in GH: Metallica to be has hard as Through the Fire and the Flames was in GH3."
    The difference is that Metallica's songs actually have complex guitar, as opposed to the Beatles', which are awesome to listen to but playing them will get boring after three songs.

Now, I'm just waiting on somebody to get Led Zeppelin. Now that we've got Metallica, Van Halen, AC/DC, and the Beatles, they're pretty much the last major holdout. Bring out Guitar Hero: Led Zeppelin and I will die a happy man.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By RichardLOlson
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Snipzor said:
    "Gorillawhat said:
    Isn't everyone here clearly overexaggerating the guitar skill from Metallica? Seriously, they aren't that fast in comparison to other metal bands (Atheist comes to mind, and they are Prog Metal)"
    James is considered one of the best rythem leads in the industry last i checked."

Yeah I would have to side with William on this one.  I mean being a big metallica fan that I am, he is right on tihis one.  James is truly one of the best rythem leads and also metallica was inducted into the rock n' roll hall of fame.  I beileve this will be one of the best GH versions ever.  On another side note though, they should have a Primus GH.  Just only for the simple fact that Les Claypool is one of the best and fastest bass players in the industry today.
    vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vaultboy

The track listing looks pretty good to me.  Much better selection of tracks than what was on GH:Aerosmith.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Verdugo
    BananaKid said:
    "Gorillawhat said:

On a side note, I expect all songs in GH: Metallica to be has hard as Through the Fire and the Flames was in GH3."
    The difference is that Metallica's songs actually have complex guitar, as opposed to the Beatles', which are awesome to listen to but playing them will get boring after three songs.

Now, I'm just waiting on somebody to get Led Zeppelin. Now that we've got Metallica, Van Halen, AC/DC, and the Beatles, they're pretty much the last major holdout. Bring out Guitar Hero: Led Zeppelin and I will die a happy man.
    "
    Don't you mean Rock Band: Led Zeppelin? That right there would be the greatest fucking thing ever...

And I'm really liking how GH: Metallica is shaping up, really good stuff.
    SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By SimpsonFan

I Wish they release Harvester!!!!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Snipzor said:
    "Gorillawhat said:
    James is considered one of the best rythem leads in the industry last i checked."
    James is a damn fine rhythm guitarist, but I think what Snipzor was trying to say is that James keeps himself a bit too contained.  If you look at most of Metallica's note charts on the rhythm sections, James is usually sticking to a pretty strict 10-chord progression chart rather than using his entire fretboard.  Now, in their earlier stuff like Kill 'Em All and such, you saw James using a lot of the fretboard.  However, it started dulling down a lot over the years.  Still, it's hard to deny a riff like "Bleeding Me" or "Harvester of Sorrow".  I'm just saying, James is good...but he's no Allen Collins.

RichardLOlson said:
    "metallica was inducted into the rock n' roll hall of fame."
    I heard about this.  Pretty sweet to hear, especially since they just became eligible.  However, it wasn't sweet to hear that they got picked over The Stooges.  =  /  Those guys are just never going to get the recognition they deserve.  Oh well.

Everyones_A_Critic said:
    "I saw Machine Head live on the 18th......yuck. It probably had a  lot to do with the fact that I was unfamiliar with their music, but I already have a predisposition to anything that's full of gutteral screaming."
    Sorry to hear you didn't dig the show, man.  But, to each their own, right?  Dave McClaine is a HELL of a drummer, though.  You gotta remember, though, that these guys have been around for a long time...and it's definitely more groove metal than Metallica does.  Machine Head is actually a bit more akin to Pantera or Sepultura than they are Metallica and bands of the sort.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snipzor
    jakob187 said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Snipzor said:
    "Gorillawhat said:
    James is a damn fine rhythm guitarist, but I think what Snipzor was trying to say is that James keeps himself a bit too contained.  If you look at most of Metallica's note charts on the rhythm sections, James is usually sticking to a pretty strict 10-chord progression chart rather than using his entire fretboard.  Now, in their earlier stuff like Kill 'Em All and such, you saw James using a lot of the fretboard.  However, it started dulling down a lot over the years.  Still, it's hard to deny a riff like "Bleeding Me" or "Harvester of Sorrow".
    I suppose you can say that was what I meant, but there is much more than that. I was mainly saying that there are guitarists that are much better than James, some you've never heard of. Fred Frith comes to mind. Sure riffs are fine, but there isn't that much diversity in what he plays. Let's take Steve Howe of Yes for an example, one can argue that he is a much better guitarist than James. Or perhaps we should take the late Frank Zappa, who is infinitely better than James without debate. This is on a broad scale of guitarists. Improvisation is one of the most important skills of a guitarist. Why would you think people dislike Malmsteen? Because he is boring as hell, and contributes nothing special to the industry.

Even then, all those other guitarists aren't even in the same league as the next guitarist I will mention, and most people have never even heard of him. Which is a shame, because he is considered to be the greatest in history.

Allan Holdsworth is better than you.
    Allan Holdsworth is better than you.
    I just can't think of anything that special James has contributed besides the riffs.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187

Well, of course there are guitarists that are flat out better than James.  However, he's talking about RHYTHM guitarists, not all-around guitar.  So I guess you did miss the point.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snipzor
    jakob187 said:
    "Well, of course there are guitarists that are flat out better than James.  However, he's talking about RHYTHM guitarists, not all-around guitar.  So I guess you did miss the point."
    Well yes, but I do talk about Rhythm at the end, and some of the guitarists I have mentioned are by trait rhythm guitarists. I should have been more specific at that point, that's what happens when I talk about guitarists. Regardless of topic, it will always end in Holdsworth.

Pardon me.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
    Snipzor said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Well, of course there are guitarists that are flat out better than James.  However, he's talking about RHYTHM guitarists, not all-around guitar.  So I guess you did miss the point."
    Well yes, but I do talk about Rhythm at the end, and some of the guitarists I have mentioned are by trait rhythm guitarists. I should have been more specific at that point, that's what happens when I talk about guitarists. Regardless of topic, it will always end in Holdsworth.

Pardon me."
    Hey man, it's cool.  Holdsworth is the shit, so I can understand how it's hard not to mention him.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snipzor
    jakob187 said:
    "Snipzor said:
    "jakob187 said:

Pardon me."
    Hey man, it's cool.  Holdsworth is the shit, so I can understand how it's hard not to mention him."
    I have OCD (Not actually a joke, I was diagnosed a few years ago), so I tend to break out in praise for him every chance I get.
    Hoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hoffer

The Metallica DLC in Rock Band are some of my favorite songs to play in any fake guitar game.  I'm so looking forward to an entire game dedicated to them.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By dethfish

You get to battle Joe Perry in GH: Aerosmith. If they put battle in this game I'm sure they'll use Kirk but wouldn't it be cool if James was like an early boss in the game. Kirk's would be nothing but a long solo and James' would be nothing but chords and cool riffs. Then to make it even cooler at the end the ghost of Cliff Burton appears and you have a bass guitar battle!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.