Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Episode Three

Game » consists of 2 releases.

The cancelled, infamously long-delayed final chapter of the episodic Half-Life 2 saga.

Half-Life 3 on the PS4

• 77 results
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Jace

@video_game_king said:

@jace said:

@video_game_king said:

I really wish people would put question marks in titles like this. Otherwise, you make it sound like this has actually happened rather than it might happen.

How can something he specifies as taking place at a future event sound like it has already happened?

I wasn't aware that "as" was a future tense verb. In fact, I'm not even sure it's a verb.

I also wasn't aware that as was spelled "o-n". Still, my point stands.

I think "Half-Life 3" in the thread title gives away that it's hypothetical.

You are being way too logical for some users in this thread with an idea like that.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hugh_jazz: Wrong, CS:GO was on both consoles, and had move support for ps3. Also, I could see ps4 to steam MP finally becoming a reality (happened with Portal 2, almost happened with CS:GO). Also, being on more platforms = more sales, and both next gen consoles will be EXTREMELY easy to port to from PC. It would be pure profit for them

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Sooty

@bisonhero said:

@hugh_jazz said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Valve doesn't have any interest in putting out games for consoles anymore.

Agreed, but it just seems so nuts that A) console support for TF2 was terrible, and still kinda not great for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, B) then they announce a new era of Valve and Sony partnership by including Steam with Portal 2 on PS3, C) then they say "Naw, fuck it, we'll stick to Linux and making our own hardware".

I guess Portal 2 must've tricked a few PS3 users into checking out Steam who might not have otherwise, but that whole thing just seems so one-off and random.

A) TF2, L4D and L4D2 were crippled by Microsoft's DLC policies. Valve didn't even make the PS3 version of The Orange Box so that didn't help TF2's situation.

B) Uhm CS:GO came out on PS3 and 360 last year, no? Seems rather premature to say they won't release anything else for console.

Valve aren't the problem, it's Microsoft and to a lesser extent, Sony. I can't really hear any of the complainers over the loud noise of free TF2 and L4D content I've been the receiver of on PC.

@paddygezus said:

@plato84: I doubt very much Valve will announce HL3 on the PS4 at E3. However, a DOTA 2 announcement pre/post E3? Maybe...

That is even more unlikely than Half-Life 3. They won't bring a game that isn't even released (properly, it's a beta) on PC yet out on the PS3, especially when the game would have to be mouse and keyboard only or dumbed down for controllers to the point of it being an entirely different game they'd have to balance and support. Not going to happen.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sooty: @naru_joe93: I know Valve has released games for consoles that have been building user bases for the last generation, but I submit that the new consoles won't have the install bases around launch to make Valve give enough fucks, since their presence on the PC is only growing. Add that to what I previously mentioned about not having the flexibility to allow Valve to do what they want with their Steam integration(marketplace, social network, etc.).

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Sooty

@hugh_jazz said:

@sooty: @naru_joe93: I know Valve has released games for consoles that have been building user bases for the last generation, but I submit that the new consoles won't have the install bases around launch to make Valve give enough fucks, since their presence on the PC is only growing. Add that to what I previously mentioned about not having the flexibility to allow Valve to do what they want with their Steam integration(marketplace, social network, etc.).

I don't think Valve give enough fucks to release anything new this year anyway and the lack of user base for the new consoles will be an issue for more than just Valve. I will be extremely shocked if the next Valve game that isn't DOTA 2 doesn't come to consoles, it makes even more sense for them to do it now as the PS4 has gone x86.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: I don't even see how DOTA2 couldn't work on consoles either, but I think the situation is the same with that as with any other game Valve would put out. It seems like they're putting a lot of their efforts into micro-transactions and the player marketplace, so whether or not the game they potentially put out on a console is free-to-play, it needs to be able to support all that marketplace stuff, and I'm doubtful of Sony's - and definitely Microsoft's - ability to facilitate that on a system level. They also probably don't want to.

plato84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Diablo 3 is coming to consoles and is feasible, I don't see how Dota wouldn't be feasible. There are already examples of MOBAs on consoles.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

The optimal turn of events is that HL3 gets announced, but not the way you said, so we still all get Half-Life but you don't get the recognition. Because you asked for it.

Well if it's true he's clearly a witch, how else could he possibly be able to foresee the future, and you know what we do to witches.

Loading Video...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hugh_jazz: By your logic, that means the last 2 console generations should have failed because the previous gen had a bigger install base and the upcoming gen was unproven. This makes no sense, because people want new things that improve upon old things.

Valve could do what you say (release games exclusively on PC), but they won't. Why? PC gaming is still niche compared to console gaming; even if it's popular within the hardcore gaming community most people who play video games will do so on consoles (for the foreseeable future).

Yes, Valve is super successful on PC, but not because of the games they make. No, Valve makes the bulk of their money SELLING games, not making them.

Technically, they don't even need to make games anymore, but they do because they want to. And since they have the passion to create games, don't you think they'd want as many people as possible to experience them? Of course they do, which is why the bulk of their games are still released on consoles (DOTA 2 is an exception because it is only feasible on PC. Gamepad controls for that game would change it into something completely different).

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you guys really still want HL3? I mean, think about it, hasn't first person shooter fatigue hit an all time high? Do you really want another linear Source FPS that's not Portal at this point? Have you played Ep. 2 recently? It's dated and boring now.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: That's not my logic at all. The OP was talking about Valve releasing a launch game for consoles, and I believe Valve won't want to release any launch games because the install bases are so small compared to what's on Steam. The other generational thing I'm thinking about is Valve's focus on player-driven marketplaces and micro transactions. If Valve wants to make games heavily reliant on such systems, it's going to be harder(or impossible) to get those to work on consoles. Even the games that Valve has put out on consoles have been hamstrung by update processes, as far as I've heard.

My thinking is that Valve is in a position to push games purely on Steam in an effort to make themselves console-independent, with the general profitability of Steam enabling them to do so.

As to them having the passion to make games and having people play them, absolutely. But if the console experience will be inherently less than that of playing the game on the PC, I could see them having the integrity to release their games only on the platform where the games will play to their full potential.

All that said, if they manage to get their games working on consoles the way they want without being hampered by shit update processes or system-level limitations of Steam integration, great. I want all games to succeed. It's why I bought Remember Me.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Let's look at how the last few Sony conferences have ended.

• E3 2006: Warhawk flying demo.
    • E3 2007: Killzone 2 gameplay.
    • E3 2008: MAG trailer.
    • E3 2009: God of War 3 demo.
    • E3 2010: Sony reveals Twisted Metal and brings out Jaffe in an ice cream truck to show gameplay.
    • E3 2011: Sony gives a Vita trailer and ends with more Vita info.
    • E3 2012: Spectacular Last of Us demo.

Sony is not Microsoft. They will not give that last word to anyone else, much less Valve for a game that is going to be better on PC.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

no

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish people would put question marks in titles like this. Otherwise, you make it sound like this has actually happened rather than it might happen.

That'll happen when people start spelling lose correctly. I understand what you mean though.

Harknett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would probably be one of the most entertaining E3 moments and internet meltdowns in history. It will never happen (at least, the exclusive part), but it would be damn good entertainment.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By Azteck

Yeah, because Valve would launch that game on any platform other than the one with Steam, aka PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is all but guaranteed to not happen. Hell, I'm doubting it will ever come out at this point, but I realize it would be crazy for them not to release it.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JouselDelka

@turboman said:

Going the extra mile: Half Life 3 is announced exclusively for consoles on the PS4 and the PSN and Steam join services so PSN+ is available for Steam's community and you can browse the PSN store on Steam and have a download queue for your PS4 on Steam on your PC/Mac

Can I get my oven in on this action?

plato84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

No, I don't see this happening....ever

Herak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Herak

I would say a steam box launching around the time of the new consoles with Half Life 3 + most of the steam library would be a very very disruptive move.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't mind seeing that and it makes a ton of sense, because of course Valve wanted to wait until Sony was done with the 3.

Paddygezus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Paddygezus

@sooty: I wasn't implying DOTA on PS3, that would be ludacris, I mean DOTA in general

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#74  Edited By AndrewB

And about 4 years ago I predicted that it would be at E3 in 2012. That seemed a cynical but safe bet, but even that was wrong.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plato84 said:

@sirpsychosexy is right, I mean it will launch on PS4 and PC with an XBOX One version to follow a year or so later. And then Gabe will assume his final form, open one of his 9 mouths, and sing the song that makes the world end.

Haha, my T-shirt says almost the exact same thing.
    So I think maybe that's a clear sign that the end is coming

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
    CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creepyunclebrad said:

Yes, I'm sure Valve would love to turn down the money from the massive install base Steam has on PC's and make one of the defining PC franchises console exclusive. That's where the money is baby.

All this would do is make steams install base even bigger by expanding to a console, and he means console exclusive as in PS4 is the only console that will get Half Life 3, PC will still get it of course.

Ah okay, that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

But the the source 2 is gonna be on the Xbox One in Destiny.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.