Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

Oculus Rift Support - Half-Life 2

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/10/half-life-2-official-oculus-rift-beta-support/

Half-Life 2 is the only game that has ever made me fill physically ill and nauseated from playing it. This sounds like a nightmare. Thoughts? I seem to suffer, in this case, from the category of motion sickness caused by motion that is seen but not felt.

On another note, I get sick very easily in cars, planes and boats. Something's really wrong with my vestibular system.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/10/half-life-2-official-oculus-rift-beta-support/

Half-Life 2 is the only game that has ever made me fill physically ill and nauseated from playing it. This sounds like a nightmare. Thoughts? I seem to suffer, in this case, from the category of motion sickness caused by motion that is seen but not felt.

On another note, I get sick very easily in cars, planes and boats. Something's really wrong with my vestibular system.

Isn't there a way to get over it? I thought there was something that you could do to at least train yourself a little bit. OR you could take those sea sickness pills every time you're about to play a game.

If I were you, I'd put a trash can or whatever next to me while I'm playing and force myself to play. I had to do this with my bad gag reflexes when I had jaw surgery and they had to take molds of my teeth. Turns out I just dry heave instead of actually throwing up. So I'm a lot less scared about my gag reflexes now. I still have that problem brushing my teeth too, so making myself get to that throw up point and finding out I don't actually throw up; it helped a lot.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scrawnto

I've never gotten motion sickness from a game or movie, though sometimes that sort of rapid movement hurts my eyes if I'm watching someone else play. When I'm playing myself I'm pretty good at correlating what I'm seeing to the motions of my fingers and thumbs, and anticipating the motion on screen. I'm curious whether the same would be true with the Oculus Rift.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've seen some videos of this and it looks pretty neat. Hopefully I'll get my hands on Jeff's Rift at some point...

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I bet that part in Episode One where Dog throws Gordon and Alex in the body of a car into a tower would be pretty freakin' intense with an Oculus Rift.

That part gave me vertigo in plain old 2D.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scrawnto

@zoozilla said:

I bet that part in Episode One where Dog throws Gordon and Alex in the body of a car into a tower would be pretty freakin' intense with an Oculus Rift.

That part gave me vertigo in plain old 2D.

Oh gosh, me too. Now that I think about it, vertigo is going to be a much bigger problem for me with the Rift than motion sickness.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By MormonWarrior

@jams: Mostly my problem is it makes me feel really dizzy for a long time after playing the game. I don't know why - if it's something about the way Gordon moves or the Source Engine in particular or what - but it's also hard to just force myself to play it because I think the game sucks...I beat it several years ago and hated it, then I tried it about a year ago and still hated it so I've just written it off for the most part. I just find it a frightening prospect for Oculus Rift since I already get sick from it.

Also, motion sickness makes me violently vomit for real, not just heave. So...there's that. And it doesn't get much better the more I'm used to it. I just have to take Bonine or Dramamine or something or generally avoid riding in vehicles. I drive myself everywhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.