Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 1998

Take on the role of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the disastrous aftermath of an experiment gone wrong in the Black Mesa Research Facility.

WTF robots in Half-life?

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Colonel_Cool

My little brother bought Half-Life 1 on his steam account, which was a while ago on Half-Life's 10th anniversary when it was only a dollar. I have the original version of Half-Life from 1998 on a CD so I am quite familiar with the original game. When I saw my little bro playing his new version however, the soldiers were replaced by robots, and the gore has been significantly reduced. I can't help but wonder what this is all about. Robots?!?!?

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Scorched

interesting, idk
    I played the old half-life too not the new one though
    and those soldiers were not robots when I played it

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By roushimsx

Content lock was enabled. When that's turned on, all grunts turn into robogrunts.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HazBazz
    roushimsx said:
    "Content lock was enabled. When that's turned on, all grunts turn into robogrunts."
    Cool. You learn something new every day
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Valve released a heavily censored version in Germany to get a lower rating, replacing the soldiers with cyborgs, and editing out all the gore effects.

If you shoot one of the scientists, they sit down, shake their heads and then slowly fade away. I wish I was kidding here.

This version still received a 16+ rating.

What you describe sounds like this version, or a similar one. You mention your "little brother's steam accountt". How old is he? Maybe it's somehow linked to the age you set in your steam account? (I don't know if there is such a thing. I don't use steam.)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail
    Meowayne said:
    "You can see it here:

http://schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=3232"
    I think everyone here at GB can obviously read everything since we all master of the german language. Right?

Still I could understand the differences by looking at the pics. I don't get why though.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne

i was just posting it because of the pics. The text basically just describes what's shown on the pictures.

As to "why": When the first Half-Life was released, titles that received an 18+ rating could very easily be put on the index if they were deemed "Jugendgefährdend" (harmful to the youth). If a title is put on the index, it can be sold and bought legally - But advertising in any way is forbidden.  So many publishers censored their games in order to get a 16-rating. As you know, in Europe violence and gore have the same effect on ratings as sexual themes and nudity have in the US.

So valve replaced blood with nothing, death with "fading", men with machines and guts with gears.

Publishers still do this quite regularly, although laws have been changed a bit. Nowadays many violent games don't get an "official" german release at all and publishers just up the number of austrian copies - Selling, buying and playing these uncensored copies is legal, unproblematic, and circumvents the german ratings board.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Relys

Why should the game developers even give a fuck about Germany then?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Absurd

Doesn't all that stuff go away if you turn the content lock off?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    Relys said:
    "Why should the game developers even give a fuck about Germany then?"
    It's the biggest gaming market in Europe? The UK has a higher percentage of gamers, but sales-wise, it is. There's a second big yearly games convention about to launch. Especially  in PC and MMO, Germany is by far the most profitable market in Europe.
    There's a lot of ridiculous legal bs about "protecting the youth" from the portrayal of violence in the media, but developers (publishers) give a fuck and often invest quite a sum of money to make elaborate versions with the violence turned down because there's a huge friggin mass of paying customers there.

And Germans do have quite a bit of money to spend.

Edit: What do you know, it seems my numbers were a little outdated. The UK reclaimed that throne a while ago. Presumably with the steep rise of console gaming. So it's a 2nd biggest.
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By roushimsx
    Absurd said:
    "Doesn't all that stuff go away if you turn the content lock off?"
    Yes, unless you're playing the aforementioned German version, in which case it's always enabled (until you mod the game, anyway :) ).
    EFKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EFKT

I actually bought half life 1, when it was on special as well. Haven't actually gone back to play it, will look into it sometime tonight.

DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DavidPalmer
    Meowayne said:
    "Relys said:
    "Why should the game developers even give a fuck about Germany then?"
    It's the biggest gaming market in Europe? The UK has a higher percentage of gamers, but sales-wise, it is. There's a second big yearly games convention about to launch. Especially  in PC and MMO, Germany is by far the most profitable market in Europe.
    There's a lot of ridiculous legal bs about "protecting the youth" from the portrayal of violence in the media, but developers (publishers) give a fuck and often invest quite a sum of money to make elaborate versions with the violence turned down because there's a huge friggin mass of paying customers there.

And Germans do have quite a bit of money to spend.

Edit: What do you know, it seems my numbers were a little outdated. The UK reclaimed that throne a while ago. Presumably with the steep rise of console gaming. So it's a 2nd biggest."
    Yeah, the Germans definitely do make some great games too and they have power. Look at Drakensang, it was a huge success in Germany and now it's being adapted to come to America. Usually it works the other way but this game was so highly praised when it was released in Germany that Radon Labs decided to bring it to America. Things like that speak to the power of the German market. And the game looks sweet too.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By mracoon

I always knew Germany censored games but I never thought Half-life was that violent.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne
    mracoon said:
    "I always knew Germany censored games"
    Publishers censor games. To increase sales. Because German law makes sure that violent games don't get into the hands of minors.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By shiftymagician
    Meowayne said:
    "mracoon said:
    Publishers censor games. To increase sales. Because German law makes sure that violent games don't get into the hands of minors."
    It's probably me thinking wrongly, but it seems like a bummer to the mature audience over there (since that pretty much means games are censored before they even make it to german markets).  Well I hope one day they find a better method of regulating this.  Also, you would think that regulatory boards worldwide would think of a compromise like "Add a screen at the start stating everything's fictional and do not represent real life. Do not try this at home." so as to remove accountability for developers (as people blame them as they create said violent games intended for mature audiences, not minors).  Sure minors can still somehow still get the game if they're smart, but at least accountability will shift back to where it's supposed to be directed at - parents who should regulate what minors are exposed to if they are really that worried.  Laws should have been never made to regulate this stuff in particular as its just too subjective.  Ahh well.

I would love to know if killzone 2 will be released there.  And if it is, how it will be changed to accomodate the new laws.  Should be humorous if this happens. 
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By angelkanarias

that is weird

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Wow, that's pretty neat, kinda like the gibs in TF2 and the balloons....

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By CL60
    @Snail said:
    " Meowayne said:
    "You can see it here:

http://schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=3232"
    I think everyone here at GB can obviously read everything since we all master of the german language. Right?Still I could understand the differences by looking at the pics. I don't get why though. "
    ermmm...the whole point was the pictures.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

The only thing the Germans hate more than Robots are the Jewbots.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snail
    @CL60 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " I think everyone here at GB can obviously read everything since we all master of the german language. Right?Still I could understand the differences by looking at the pics. I don't get why though. "
    ermmm...the whole point was the pictures. "
    No joke genius.
    Still I was expecting to read something about it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@ShiftyMagician said:

" Meowayne said:

"mracoon said:
    Publishers censor games. To increase sales. Because German law makes sure that violent games don't get into the hands of minors."
    It's probably me thinking wrongly, but it seems like a bummer to the mature audience over there.
    It's not that big a problem, really. We adults can just import our games from the UK or Austria. It's often cheaper, too.  

Actually, there are two levels of banning a game in Germany. The "normal" ban just forbids advertising and selling the game openly. That's annoying, but import is allowed. The second level is a proper ban as in "you are not allowed to own this game at all". That's quite rare, though - Manhunt 2 is such a case. In theory, the police can pay you a visit and confiscate the game.

There are several online shops specialized in providing German players with foreign uncut versions. This usually involves some sort of age check. German gamers constantly ask Valve to integrate an age check into steam according to German law (technically it should be possible), but they don't seem to care.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHT

I always wondered where that Robogrunt multiplayer model came from.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Snail said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " I think everyone here at GB can obviously read everything since we all master of the german language. Right?Still I could understand the differences by looking at the pics. I don't get why though. "
    No joke genius.Still I was expecting to read something about it. "
    Use babelfish you lazy bastard.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Scooper

I think Valve were taking the piss when they made the scientists sit down, shake their heads and dissapear. I bet they were laughing when they were told they had to code that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Don't hate on the fine people at "schnittberichte.com" - it's a valuable and accurate source. I am sure the government would like to shut it down, but  they are operating in a grey area.

if you want to see a really ridiculous case of German censorship, check out how they butchered Soldier of Fortune 2. They simply set the whole game in a parallel universe and replaced the humans with robots - which means they just colored them silver and put knit lines on them. It's hilariously stupid.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By superfriend
    @Meowayne said:
    " mracoon said:
    Publishers censor games. To increase sales. Because German law makes sure that violent games don't get into the hands of minors. "
    True, but this law seems to be aimed at preventing sales of violent games in general. In Germany, there´s this list of games that are not outright banned, but prevented from being displayed openly in stores. Also, you can´t advertise these games anywhere in Germany. If a game is on this list (They call it the "Index"), the press is basically prohibited to write about it, since kids could read about those violent games then. 

There´s also the possibility of games being banned. That usually happens if games have forbidden iconography in them, such as swastikas (They are outlawed in Germany), a banned game can´t be sold to anyone in Germany.

So while Germany doesn´t censor games, some of this bullshit could well be seen as censoring the media.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Meowayne said:
    " Valve released a heavily censored version in Germany to get a lower rating, replacing the soldiers with cyborgs, and editing out all the gore effects. If you shoot one of the scientists, they sit down, shake their heads and then slowly fade away. I wish I was kidding here. "

Man, this ain't even half as fucked up as what Germany did to Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix. They removed all the gore and created a NEW FUCKING PLOT - with the game set a 100 years into the future, with the main character fighting robots.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Snail
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Snail said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Snail said:
    No joke genius.Still I was expecting to read something about it. "
    Use babelfish you lazy bastard. "
    I posted that 1 month and 4 years ago. What the hell?

And Babelfish/Google Translator suck. They make hilarious translations though.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#31  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Snail: One month and four years ago, eh? ;)
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Snail
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @Snail: One month and four years ago, eh? ;) "
    Hahahahaha. I can't believe I made that mistake.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.