Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

I'm about 2 hours in and I'm impressed...

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hargreaves93

I've been playing Halo 3: ODST for about 2 hours now after buying it the other day and I can say I've been impressed. The story so far seems very strong for a Halo game as I didn't expect it to draw me in as much - the whole mystery of what happened to your squad is actually very appealing. My biggest appraisal for the game would be the music. Now I know Halo has been famous for it's big orchestral scores but the slow, somber music the game plays, especially in the hub world is amazing! Definitely some of the best in the series! I was just wondering what other people thought of Halo 3: ODST, and moreover what they thought of the music?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, it was a pretty cool game, although I'd rather not get into why.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

Yupp, Halo 3: ODST is my favorite Halo game. : )

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@Video_Game_King said:

Lets just say it gives you some lore you do not get in the main games?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Good game, loved it to bits.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

@Cloudenvy said:

Dude, you're crazy.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

@TheGreatGuero said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Dude, you're crazy.

Why? D:

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

I have always liked the Halo games a lot, but never loved them, ODST is the closest I have come to doing so though. The music is gorgeous in that game and the campaign seems the most well paced. The thing that bothered me most was the shitty character animation in any of the cutscenes.

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hargreaves93

@GunstarRed said:

I have always liked the Halo games a lot, but never loved them, ODST is the closest I have come to doing so though. The music is gorgeous in that game and the campaign seems the most well paced. The thing that bothered me most was the shitty character animation in any of the cutscenes.

Yeah, I noticed that the character animations in the cut scenes aren't the best. But this seems to be shaping up to be my favourite Halo game so far!

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DerekDanahy

I personally think ODST is by far the worst campaign out of all the Halo's. But then again people think I'm crazy for liking Halo 2 campaign the most.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TheGreatGuero said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Dude, you're crazy.

Not really. It's my favorite, too (the only main Halo game I've played was 3).

@The_Laughing_Man:

No, not really.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Skytylz

ODST's campaign was easily my favourite of the halo campaigns. It was halo enough to scratch that itch and different enough to feel somewhat new. The hubworld was brilliant and the art in that game just felt a little different than other halo games, I liked it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShaggE

Yep, love Odious Tea. I just hated hunting for a particular object, I couldn't find it for the life of me. Plus, it has the entirety of Halo 3's MP, so that's awesome. I do wish it came with its own set of maps, though.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Venatio

@Cloudenvy said:

Thank you! So I'm not the only one who thought that

Though Reach campaign is a close second

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Hashbrowns

Spoilers, I suppose.

I have a deep-seated distaste for Halo 3 ODST, but only from a story perspective. Like all the Halo series, the actual gameplay (shooting, vehicles) is fantastic. But the story was a pointless and shallow waste of time. If ODST had come out between Halo 2 and Halo 3, the game would have at least had the benefit of teasing the slipsace portal buried beneath Voi, but we already knew about that since Halo 3.

If the overall plotline was a non-reveal, then maybe the sub-plot and characters might pick up the slack. But they don't. The characters are awfully written, and Buck and Dare's "love story" is about as interesting as watching paint dry. The plot reveals nothing we did not already know, and the characters have little in the way of an actual arc or development.

The music, though... I think the music in ODST is easily one of the best scores in the series. The original Halo CE soundtrack is a classic, of course, and the developments Marty did in Halo 2 were brilliant, but Halo 3 was pretty much treading water; not bad but not very interesting either. Halo Reach's score was... well just sort of forgettable. But ODST's score is simultaneously immediately recognizable as Halo, yet entirely original and unique. Fantastic stuff.

Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that the music in ODST was the only thing that gave that game any significant emotional core.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By babblinmule
    @Venatio said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Thank you! So I'm not the only one who thought that

Though Reach campaign is a close second

You're a mind reader! ODST campaign was so soooooo good (with Reach just behind it in quality.) Playing anniversary really made me see how far Halo campaigns have come.
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By swoxx

@Video_Game_King said:

Tell me your fucking secrets!!

Grats on 17k posts btw.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilTwin

I loved it.  Loved the atmosphere created from the dark and desolate setting as well as the score.  It was all very understated for a Halo game.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I loved it too- or at least I remember loving it... come to think of it, I don't really remember much about the actual story. Virgil, those weird floating things... I might play through it again.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By GS_Dan

I didn't like it, found everything very flat and uninspiring. I didn't "get" the warping between characters and the animations were terrible. I preferred what I played of Halo 3, although I've never been a big fan of the series' campaigns.

It's good that other people like it of course :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ODST was the best campaign, right near Halo CE. Halo3's campaign was boring and stale because of the horrendous firefights with enemies, including the unrealized potential to create a harrowing atmosphere for a decimated Earth. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing in Halo3, whilst in Halo CE or even 2, the atmosphere grabbed me and I was always aware of my mission.

ODST not only makes the Brutes a lot funner to fight because of the satisfying feeling in popping shields, it also brought back the overpowered pistol that made Halo CE very enjoyable. Adding it with some of the best music Martin O"Donnell had ever made in his career and a beautiful tone that very few games could nail, ODST is the 2nd best campaign in the franchise. At least, in my opinion.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlmostSwedish

As a fan on the entire series, I agree that ODST is the best one. It's the only one that went in the direction I hoped the entire franchise would go in after Combat Evolved; embrace the mystery.

Plus, it's a game where you really need to consider if it is even worth engaging the enemy. Sometimes it's just better to go the long way around. Or better yet, stealth you way past them.

An that wonderful, wonderful soundtrack. The onlything bad about it is the name. ODSTOST? Come on now.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By ddensel

I'm playing through ODST right now, and I can say the campaign is the best since the original Halo (haven't played Reach yet.) There's a little mystery to whay happen to your squad, and it doesn't hurt to have three of the leads from Firefly as your squadmates. Definitely a step up from the stale Halo 3 campaign, which didn't seem to explain what was going on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed ODST, and I think a lot of that enjoyment came from it being not-epic.

I do like the Halo universe in general, and one of my concerns about Halo 4 is that they're trying to tell a story that doesn't need to be told. Halo is huge. It's epic in the literary sense. And what I liked about ODST is that it told a story in the dirty corners of that universe that would have been overlooked in the numbered Halo games. And it makes that universe richer as a result.

Say what you will about the faults in that game's storytelling; I can think of a few. I'm still glad that story was told.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I "marathon'd" the halo games after Halo 4 came out I concurred that ODST has my favorite campaign. Probably because it's a nice change of pace and also all of the main characters are voiced by people that I like (Nathan Fillion, Tricia Helfer, Adam Baldwin, Nolan North, Alan Tudyk).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two years after posting in this thread, I still haven't played ODST again.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bigjeffrey

You should

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toowalrus

@toowalrus said:

You should

But!~ But I need to spend that precious game time playing... World of Warcraft or something... :-/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.