Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Is ODST Evil? or Its All in the Name

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Listen you don't have to pay for an "overpriced expansion", but if you don't you're going to wait a lot longer than you would if you just ponied up the cash. Now that the issue of price is out of the way, I'll address the 'it's not worth it' complaint. You decide if its worth it to you or not, nobody else. If its not worth it you, then you don't have to buy it. If you say 'its not worth $60' then that's your decision, that doesn't mean you're getting it for less anytime soon.  Of course, if you're reading this you probably already know all this to be true. So why whine and complain? I have a few reasons why I would.

• Industry trend starting of selling expansions, and multiplayer components for the full $60 dollars you probably already paid for it.
    • Shorter games (ODST hasn't helped anything, anyway.)

The reason why I let Halo in particular get away with this, is because its one of Microsoft's biggest franchises. I don't expect Microsoft to just give away the multiplayer component of their single most popular game on their system. If you do, then you've got a bad case of the entitlements. No, no, no, don't give me 'well Bungie said!' Ah Ah, doesn't work that way. You know why? Because its Halo, people are going to buy it, (and already have, as its passed the 2 million mark in one day) and it will make Microsoft a lot of money. They're a business not your mother, they don't have to undercut a video game just because of a PR gaffe. Incidentally, I am going to buy ODST (hopefully) by price matching at Best Buy. See? I could get my expansion for less than $60, and I didn't whine about it. Of course, this rant will fall on deaf ears, and you'll be convinced I'm a corporate plant, or fanboy. Oh well, flame shields up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen you don't have to pay for an "overpriced expansion", but if you don't you're going to wait a lot longer than you would if you just ponied up the cash. Now that the issue of price is out of the way, I'll address the 'it's not worth it' complaint. You decide if its worth it to you or not, nobody else. If its not worth it you, then you don't have to buy it. If you say 'its not worth $60' then that's your decision, that doesn't mean you're getting it for less anytime soon.  Of course, if you're reading this you probably already know all this to be true. So why whine and complain? I have a few reasons why I would.

• Industry trend starting of selling expansions, and multiplayer components for the full $60 dollars you probably already paid for it.

The reason why I let Halo in particular get away with this, is because its one of Microsoft's biggest franchises. I don't expect Microsoft to just give away the multiplayer component of their single most popular game on their system. If you do, then you've got a bad case of the entitlements. No, no, no, don't give me 'well Bungie said!' Ah Ah, doesn't work that way. You know why? Because its Halo, people are going to buy it, (and already have, as its passed the 2 million mark in one day) and it will make Microsoft a lot of money. They're a business not your mother, they don't have to undercut a video game just because of a PR gaffe. Incidentally, I am going to buy ODST (hopefully) by price matching at Best Buy. See? I could get my expansion for less than $60, and I didn't whine about it. Of course, this rant will fall on deaf ears, and you'll be convinced I'm a corporate plant, or fanboy. Oh well, flame shields up.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Yep. It's evil.

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By bulletstorm

It's evil in that they are getting away with it, but that's Halo-Fanboy's faults. 

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Torrim

It's an expansion?

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Yep, it's an expansion, the way ALL sequels are an expansion of the original. But be warned; this isn't your daddy's Halo.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

Halo in general is just evil.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolemnOaf

No, you're not a fanboy or a shill, you're just a tool.  I'm not even going to talk about ODST.  Halo 3 was enough to turn me off the Halo franchise for as long as they continue churning them out.  The fact is, Bungie at one point had what it took to be a top-tier developer, and Halo 3 and ODST are tremendous strides backwards and away from what I believe their studio to be capable of.  It's a shame, but greed and laziness doesn't put feet forward. 
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

This is kinda dumb.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tl;dr much? I don't get the feeling that any of you read what I wrote, well except maybe ArchSabby. I wasn't asking if ODST was evil, I was simply weighing in on the 'ODST isn't a $60 game' issue. So I guess I have to do a tl;dr version.

TL;DR version: If its not worth $60 to you, then its not worth $60 to you. Don't complain when it sells 2 million copies just because its Halo.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By zombie2011

I'm getting it tomorrow and i'm gonna be so happy.

PiggyPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PiggyPH

Just played the whole game through and I think it was worth it.
    The fact that they have tried to do something diffrent with the halo series is cool and I think it worked.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By tokyochicken

I dunno, I think it's cool n' stuff.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK
    @c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:
    "
    Could i just point out that a single firefight game lasts into the hours? And that if you were to play at least one game on each map you have most likely already surpassed the length of most games these days. And it's not like it gets boring or anything after that...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchUK: Yeah, that's great, but I was talking about campaigns.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.