Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Halo 3's story

• 79 results
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#51  Edited By AgentJ
    @Vecta said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " Play Halo, then play something like Fallout 3, or even read a good book. Then tell me Halo doesn't have a half-baked story.  "
    So wait, Saving the wasteland by purifying water sounds pretty epic, right?   My favourite authors are sci-fi writers like Assimov, Baxter and Clarke and I love the Halo story and have yet to read a single Halo book.  Don't instantly dismiss a story just because you went into the game with a predisposition. "
    Not at all. It doesn't take a predisposition to realize that Halos story is pretty weak. Lets review: A space Marine has to take out a bunch of evil aliens that want to kill all the humans. If it went into more of the lore within the game maybe my opinion would be different, but the first two games are exceedingly bland, while the third one trys to make some sort of twist out of Chiefs relationship with Cortana while nothing actually happens concerning that relationship until the very last level. 
    Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Vecta
    @AgentJ said:

" @Vecta said:

" @AgentJ said:
    " Play Halo, then play something like Fallout 3, or even read a good book. Then tell me Halo doesn't have a half-baked story.  "
    So wait, Saving the wasteland by purifying water sounds pretty epic, right?   My favourite authors are sci-fi writers like Assimov, Baxter and Clarke and I love the Halo story and have yet to read a single Halo book.  Don't instantly dismiss a story just because you went into the game with a predisposition. "
    Not at all. It doesn't take a predisposition to realize that Halos story is pretty weak. Lets review: A space Marine has to take out a bunch of evil aliens that want to kill all the humans. If it went into more of the lore within the game maybe my opinion would be different, but the first two games are exceedingly bland, while the third one trys to make some sort of twist out of Chiefs relationship with Cortana while nothing actually happens concerning that relationship until the very last level.  "
    Congratulations, you shorted down a story to a single line and made it sound shallow.... 
    "Lets Review:"
     Did you know in The Lord of the Rings that a hobbit takes the evil ring to a volcano and destroys its. Sounds pretty epic right?
    How about in Star Wars; The Rebels try to destroy the Galactic Empire. Sounds even more epic. 
    Or how about when I said for Fallout 3 "Saving the wasteland by purifying water sounds pretty epic"? I guess you didn't pick up on that.

You can make anything sound stupid and shallow by turning it into a One line summary.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#53  Edited By AgentJ
    @Vecta said:
    " @AgentJ said:

" @Vecta said:

" @AgentJ said:
    Not at all. It doesn't take a predisposition to realize that Halos story is pretty weak. Lets review: A space Marine has to take out a bunch of evil aliens that want to kill all the humans. If it went into more of the lore within the game maybe my opinion would be different, but the first two games are exceedingly bland, while the third one trys to make some sort of twist out of Chiefs relationship with Cortana while nothing actually happens concerning that relationship until the very last level.  "
    Congratulations, you shorted down a story to a single line and made it sound shallow....  "Lets Review:" Did you know in The Lord of the Rings that a hobbit takes the evil ring to a volcano and destroys its. Sounds pretty epic right? How about in Star Wars; The Rebels try to destroy the Galactic Empire. Sounds even more epic.  Or how about when I said for Fallout 3 "Saving the wasteland by purifying water sounds pretty epic"? I guess you didn't pick up on that.  You can make anything sound stupid and shallow by turning it into a One line summary. "
    Please then, elaborate on Halos story. Honestly nothing related to the story was interesting enough for me to remember. And your synopsises weren't very effective, because the Lord of the Rings and Fallout 3 ones actually do sound pretty epic. That wasn't even the point of my halo summary though. that was just demonstrating how common it was.
    HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

There's no point in arguing with an idiot, Vecta; doesn't mean a thing if you win. My favorite Sci-Fi author, Robert Heinlein, wrote in his novel, "Have Space Suit, Will Travel: "A reverence for life does not require a man to respect nature's obvious mistakes."
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By lemon360

the halo 3 story, and campaign was garbage. Halo Combat Evolved has the best campaign and story out of all the Halo games.
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By aaox
    @Brendan said:
    "  what with the overly striking resemblance to Halo 1. "  
    I think that was supposed to be the point.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By hatking

I feel like in this thread there is a massive confusion between the terms "good story" and "deep story".  Halo has a "deep story" but contrary to what some of you believe, that doesn't instantly make it good.  Infact a simple story can have far more impact on a player than one that requires somebody to do their own digging.  Halo, all of the games, were tecnically well made, anybody who questions that is just trying to start trouble.  The story in the games, although not awful, is far from great.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Baillie

I liked the story, weren't mind-blowingly great though. It is better than what people deem to be shit because it's halo, and anti-halo people are just as annoying as people who won't see any flaws in halo either.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By killdave

As far as pure Sci-Fi story goes, Halo series is up there with the best of them

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Brendan
    @Aaox said:
    " @Brendan said:
    "  what with the overly striking resemblance to Halo 1. "  
    I think that was supposed to be the point. "

O yeah I get why they did it, I just think it made the game less fulfilling then it could have been.
    Captain9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Captain9099
    While Halo overall Arc I feel is well fleshed out the last game fell apart very quickly. The game did away with a lot of the Covenant political stuff opting instead for a more fleshed out "finish the fight mentality". To me Halo 3 felt that it had to many ideas going into development and never really fleshed them all out. Though I will say the first two definitely hit the mark on a good mix of intrigue and mystery.   
    Captain9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Captain9099
    @killdave: really as someone who has a icon from one of the greatest sci fi movies ever made I would hope you could make the distinction between amazing sci fi and ok sci fi.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @AgentJ said:
    This is absurd. The main storyline in Fallout 3 was terrible, and they even had to patch the ending to fix it. 

Also, why would you compare a video game to a book? Of course a book will have a better story then a video game. That is like someone saying the graphics in Halo are bad and using the movie Star Trek as a comparison.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#64  Edited By Hailinel
    @carlthenimrod:  You can't really judge the quality of a game's story as being worse than that of a book simply because one is a game and one is a book.  As good or bad as Halo 3's story might be (I haven't played any of the Halo games beyond a kiosk demo of the first game waaaaaay back when), I've read books with plots, characters, and writing so terrible that the plot of something as simple as Final Fight surpasses them.

What matters isn't that games surpass books or movies in their storytelling.  It's that they excel as games with good stories, however they choose to tell them.  The base story needs to be well-written and interesting, and the game needs to present that story in an effective manner, whether that be through cutscenes, scripted in-game events, codec conversations, or scanning objects for lore entries.  Not every good game story needs to be the greatest story ever told in order to be worthwhile, but developers should at least strive for stories and characters that are interesting and creative.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By carlthenimrod

@Hailinel said:

" @carlthenimrod:  You can't really judge the quality of a game's story as being worse than that of a book simply because one is a game and one is a book.  As good or bad as Halo 3's story might be (I haven't played any of the Halo games beyond a kiosk demo of the first game waaaaaay back when), I've read books with plots, characters, and writing so terrible that the plot of something as simple as Final Fight surpasses them.  What matters isn't that games surpass books or movies in their storytelling.  It's that they excel as games with good stories, however they choose to tell them.  The base story needs to be well-written and interesting, and the game needs to present that story in an effective manner, whether that be through cutscenes, scripted in-game events, codec conversations, or scanning objects for lore entries.  Not every good game story needs to be the greatest story ever told in order to be worthwhile, but developers should at least strive for stories and characters that are interesting and creative. "

Well, he said a good book. Let's be honest, no video game story compares to that of a good book. I'm sure if I wrote a book the story would be an abomination worse then Streets of Rage.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#66  Edited By Hailinel
    @carlthenimrod: I disagree.  I've played a number of games with stories that I've found just as worthwhile, entertaining, and classic as those in good books I've read.  Games like Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VIII, Valkyrie Profile, Fire Emblem:  Path of Radiance and Persona 4 all have excellent stories that I've found moving, or that have had a significant impact on my life when I was growing up.
    yogetoutdaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By yogetoutdaway

I think the Halo trilogy's story is only as good as what you try and get out of it. I really enjoyed Halo 3's story because of how it came together at the end for a great conclusion which spanned the last three levels. I was always able to appreciate all the biblical references, the drama (I actually picked up on the theme of dehumanizing  the Chief myself) and several themes and allegories that  people usually overlook.  

I always liked the way the gravemind and the flood were represented in Halo 3. I took them to represent an overwhelming, satanic presence that only a few brave warriors could resist. The allure of the gravemind's promises of being "the secret to peace and salvation" and "a timeless chorus" were always effective for me because they represented taking the easy way out and receiving immortality and everlasting peace of mind at the price of free will. This, for beings such as Chief and Cortana (who were in constant turmoil during their lives), proves to be a compelling  temptation. But while Cortana "succumbed to the influence of the devil," the Chief sort of emerges as the hero that rescues her from the "edge of the abyss," and actually becomes the only being in history to defeat the "devil." 

It's stuff like this that gives the story depth for me and makes it really compelling.
    LadyG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By LadyG

The story was so bad, that I stopped paying attention to it about an hour into the game
    Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#69  Edited By Jerr
    @marlow83 said:
    " I'm sorry, Halo 3's story was very bad, especially when compared to the first two. Master Chief had the least personality and least lines out of all of the games, so there's one big strike against it. Also, all of the dialogue in the game essentially came down to a bunch of people saying "If we don't stop Truth, everyone will die" in a really over dramatic manner. Halo 3's story was also a little hard to follow, mainly the final act after the Arbiter kills Truth. There's just not a lot of explanation for any of the events. I had to  watch the cutscenes a few times to understand everything that happened. Also, the Gravemind was never actually explained in Halo 3, i only knew what the hell it was from outside sources. You learn nothing about the rest of the Human race on Earth during the game either, which was disappointing.Lastly, the worst thing about Halo 3's story was how the gameplay didn't back up how epic the story should have been. None of the battles have a really large scale to them, which detracts from the weight of the story. So, yeah, Halo 1 and Halo 2 had good stories, Halo 3 did not. "
    Master Chief has a personality?
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Reuben

I enjoyed the Halo story/games. I think they could have done better with Halo 3 but that game was so hyped up that I don't think anyone would have been completely satisfied.

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By toast_burner

Tha thing i hated about halo 3's story is that it got worse and worse as it went through.  
    but it was very polished and had great music
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Gargantuan
    @Tallica9000 said:
    " @marlow83 said:
    " I'm sorry, Halo 3's story was very bad, especially when compared to the first two. Master Chief had the least personality and least lines out of all of the games, so there's one big strike against it. Also, all of the dialogue in the game essentially came down to a bunch of people saying "If we don't stop Truth, everyone will die" in a really over dramatic manner. Halo 3's story was also a little hard to follow, mainly the final act after the Arbiter kills Truth. There's just not a lot of explanation for any of the events. I had to  watch the cutscenes a few times to understand everything that happened. Also, the Gravemind was never actually explained in Halo 3, i only knew what the hell it was from outside sources. You learn nothing about the rest of the Human race on Earth during the game either, which was disappointing.Lastly, the worst thing about Halo 3's story was how the gameplay didn't back up how epic the story should have been. None of the battles have a really large scale to them, which detracts from the weight of the story. So, yeah, Halo 1 and Halo 2 had good stories, Halo 3 did not. "
    Master Chief has a personality? "
    He has more personality than Mr Freeman. Don't understand why so many people complain about Master Chief but not Freeman.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Nekroskop

*Looks at topic*

What story?

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jerr
    @Gargantuan said:
    " @Tallica9000 said:
    " @marlow83 said:
    Master Chief has a personality? "
    He has more personality than Mr Freeman. Don't understand why so many people complain about Master Chief but not Freeman. "
    I agree with you. Perhaps in this regard a poorly portrayed personality is worse than no personality at all?
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Gargantuan:   Wait, this isn't Freeman? DAMN IT!

Actually, I think silent protagonists are great as long as they are part of a good story and surrounded by good characters. I must say that I dig the story in the main Halo games. Its incredibly cliched but Bungie executed the whole thing pretty well. It made me care enough that I read the entire Fall of Reach novel after the first game. You have to admit that Master Chief himself was badass (without resorting to baditude), you care what happens to Cortana and Keith David makes me laugh with his Arbiter voice.

The ODST guys can DIAF for all I care. :)
    atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By atlantabrave04

The quality of the Halo franchise's multiplayer sort of damns its story, inevitably. People tend to put aside their interest in the single player experience because they want to jump online. I don't know if I'd have predicted the speed at which the multiplayer mode in Halo turned into what can essentially be called a competitve sport. It's just such a refined formula that people concentrate on it instead of the half-ass story. Bungie knows how to make damn good first-person shooter GAMES. They aren't so much concerned with storytelling, which isn't to say they should be allowed to write off that aspect of the game, it's just what's happened.
    ThisIsTheEnd89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ThisIsTheEnd89

What story?

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By L4wz

Story isn't really that main subject when it comes to most FPS
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#79  Edited By big_jon

I thought Halo 2s story was great because of the covenant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.