Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Am I alone in thinking the MP needs some serious patching?

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SunKing

I don't mind matchmaking, though I prefer dedicated servers. What I do mind is these things happening: 

1. Getting betrayed without the option to punish or forgive.
    2. Starting a match, playing all of five seconds, then getting a selecting new host/starting game latency hang, before it resumes gameplay and then for a couple of minutes afterwards suffering from FPS hitches.
    3. Half of my team leaving, and then if I leave I get penalised for it. (A forfeit option, when 50% of the original players on your team have left, could be implemented.)
    4. Having everyone select Team Sniper every-fucking-time the option comes up in voting. (I don't mind Team Sniper sometimes, but it needs its own playlist.) 

I know this comes off as very critical, but these things make the multiplayer experience really frustrating. Number two on the list, especially, is the worst offender for making me rage at the screen. The rest of these points I can live without being resolved, but I need my online multiplayer lag-free.  

I also think that withholding the co-op campaign matchmaking feature was dumb. Let people play the game the way they want, ffs.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Seppli

I am looking forward to campaign matchmaking. At least we know it's coming.

As for the MP modes, I can't tell much yet since I haven't played much yet. Played quite a lot of Firefight matchmaking already.

While it's great fun, it lacks a sense of urgency because of unlimted respawns. Never failed a round ever. I can see it turning into a grind for XP and Currency quickly.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Teran
    @SunKing:   I have been kicked from firefight games for betraying my team mates.  Mind you this wasn't intentional, but it happens when you're with people who idiotically insist on rocket levels and then flip out when they step in the path of a rocket and get themselves killed. 

I would kill for some sniper maps or even normal...
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By schizogony
    @Teran said:
    " @SunKing:    I would kill for some sniper maps or even normal... "
    So make some in Forge.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Teran
    @schizogony said:
    " @Teran said:
    " @SunKing:    I would kill for some sniper maps or even normal... "
    So make some in Forge. "
    Because the things I make in forge can totally be played in official matchmaking games right?
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @SunKing said:
    " I don't mind matchmaking, though I prefer dedicated servers. What I do mind is these things happening:  1. Getting betrayed without the option to punish or forgive.2. Starting a match, playing all of five seconds, then getting a selecting new host/starting game latency hang, before it resumes gameplay and then for a couple of minutes afterwards suffering from FPS hitches.3. Half of my team leaving, and then if I leave I get penalised for it. (A forfeit option, when 50% of the original players on your team have left, could be implemented.)4. Having everyone select Team Sniper every-fucking-time the option comes up in voting. (I don't mind Team Sniper sometimes, but it needs its own playlist.)   I know this comes off as very critical, but these things make the multiplayer experience really frustrating. Number two on the list, especially, is the worst offender for making me rage at the screen. The rest of these points I can live without being resolved, but I need my online multiplayer lag-free.   I also think that withholding the co-op campaign matchmaking feature was dumb. Let people play the game the way they want, ffs. "
    Play some team arenas, snipers never shows up in that also I only seen 1 person quit in the 200+ games i've played. Plus no guests allowed so things are a bit better (If one guy leaves his guest gets booted too)
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax
    @Seppli: Campaign matchmaking is coming? That's good to know. 

I like the idea of a forfeit option.
    th3spaceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By th3spaceman

I agree with you in regard to getting betrayed and you have no option to boot sometimes. More often then not though, my teammate will walk in front of my grenade or something and die and boot me. Awesome.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Teran: select score attack and you get to choose whatever game mode you want and it's still  matchmaking
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

I agree with the points you make, but they've done A LOT right with this beast too.

I've run into the whole betrayal not giving the option to kick/forgive a few times - but they were all accidents so it would've been meaningless if it did anyways. Do they only give you the options after someone's done it twice perhaps?

The host switch/framerate thing happens to my buddy quite frequently but not to me.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By irishjohn

The latency issue can be annoying but then Halo games are very popular, and thus even the great unwashed with moderate Internet are allowed to play. 

TXPhisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TXPhisher

I would like an option to increase the difficulty in firefight matchmaking.  Of course custom matchmaking is the holy grail that this game is missing.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By kariyanine
    @th3spaceman said:
    " I agree with you in regard to getting betrayed and you have no option to boot sometimes. More often then not though, my teammate will walk in front of my grenade or something and die and boot me. Awesome. "
    This happened to me last night.  My team was down by three, I was rolling in second on my team with 12 kills and a moron with 6 kills jumps in front of me while I am engaged in a firefight with someone and tossing a grenade.  He dies and I got booted.  Did he really think I wanted to kill him?  Damn moron.

In regards to the OP, I'd be all for a forfeit option and maybe moving snipers (and SWAT) to another playlist because I end up playing it way more than any of the regular modes.
    Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Computerplayer1

You should straight up be able to choose any gametype you want. If you want to just play snipers all day then you should be able to. If you want to play SWAT all day then you should be able to. 

I like the voting system but it leads to a lot of repetitive play and not everyone likes all the game types. 

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By louiedog

I don't have my copy of Reach yet, but from reading comments on forums there is one thing I've learned about multiplayer. Apparently every game type needs its own playlist. I think I've seen a post on just about every game type proclaiming it should be separate. Now, I haven't played Reach since the beta, so I'm not criticizing the OP's or anyone else's opinion. I just think it's kind of funny.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@louiedog said:
    " I don't have my copy of Reach yet, but from reading comments on forums there is one thing I've learned about multiplayer. Apparently every game type needs its own playlist. I think I've seen a post on just about every game type proclaiming it should be separate. Now, I haven't played Reach since the beta, so I'm not criticizing the OP's or anyone else's opinion. I just think it's kind of funny. "
    It was the same way with Halo 3. They had a bunch of gametypes in the Social Slayer playlist that were eventually separated, made incredibly rare, or eliminated from the matchmaking system all together. 
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Raymayne
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I agree with the points you make, but they've done A LOT right with this beast too.  I've run into the whole betrayal not giving the option to kick/forgive a few times - but they were all accidents so it would've been meaningless if it did anyways. Do they only give you the options after someone's done it twice perhaps?  The host switch/framerate thing happens to my buddy quite frequently but not to me. "
    They give you the option only after a certain amount of friendly fire damage has been done. Say if a teammate has naded you a bunch of times and then eventually betrays you, you'll get the option to boot him. If he just betrays you once and hasn't done any other friendly fire damage then you won't get the option because it could very well have been an accident, I think it's a pretty smart system. 

To the OP, I know SWAT is getting its own playlist and they're looking into making a Team Snipers again too, wouldn't be surprised to see it in the October playlist update. 
    They have mentioned the forfeit system you spoke about, but I'm not sure whether or not it's going to be implemented. And the host migration thing is indeed a bitch, happens so often, wish they could just pick the right host at the start of the match instead of constantly getting it wrong but w/e, at least it means we don't have to play the whole match with terrible lag but I would like a fix for that to make it happen much less often.
    SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18  Edited By SunKing

I think combining SWAT and Team Sniper would be the way to go, as they're quite similar in some ways, and that way you wouldn't have just one gametype on its own. 

Popular vote as a means to select gametype is a funny thing. It seems quite fair, since everyone gets their vote. The problem is when you look at other games like CS, where if you had a voting system instead of a server browser you might end up playing de_dust/dust 2 for the rest of your days. I think, in general, voting works, but maybe the playlists need to be juggled about a bit.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Raymayne said:

They give you the option only after a certain amount of friendly fire damage has been done.

I was assuming it must be something like that.

You seem to know what yer talking about so I'll ask you this: I've run into a few scenarios where I've wanted to quit mid-match, not "rage quit", more like "my baby is crying" quit. What are the details as far as match quitting punishment goes? (or a link explaining them)
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK
    @Seppli said:
    " I am looking forward to campaign matchmaking. At least we know it's coming.  As for the MP modes, I can't tell much yet since I haven't played much yet. Played quite a lot of Firefight matchmaking already.  While it's great fun, it lacks a sense of urgency because of unlimted respawns. Never failed a round ever. I can see it turning into a grind for XP and Currency quickly. "
    I agree with this. It's actually quite dull compared with the ODST version (AKA firefight classic). Still, versus firefight should be fun.
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Samaritan

While it's no fun to lose 50% of your team and probably get your ass handed to you because of it, you'll come away with a similar amount of cR regardless of how well you play just for finishing the round, so it's beneficial to stick with a game until the end regardless of your competition.

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KennyPowers

I think they need to make more playlists.  Everyone always goes for Infection, SWAT, and snipers.  These should have their own playlists

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By finstern

Bugs I've noticed today alone (but have happened before) 

Auto changing weapons before I die, so much for being able to defend myself. (this happens more than a couple of times) 

Reloading my pistol in the middle of a fight, only to reload it RIGHT AWAY a second time (happened twice today) 

Spawning, not since Halo 2 have I spawned in front of so many enemies or grenades. In Halo 1 if all the red guys were in blue base it was spawn blue team in red base. In every subsequent Halo it spawns you in your home base, promoting spawn killing. 

Auto-aim, again this seems like more of a throwback to Halo 2 but today I sniped a guy, his teammate charged me, I panicked and swipe sniped, fired a good meter from his head or body and he died from me "sniping" him. 

Lag, this is also one of the laggiest halo games, even the beta wasn't this bad (well maybe for Invasion)    

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hourai

I dont' kno whty everyone picks SWAT/ team Sniper. It's not that I suck at it, but its' boring ash ell. No variety ad you only get one weapon. CAn't wait for htat new patch to come out. 

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By krazy_kyle

The only thing I don't like is being the only intelligent person in a rumble pit lobby and being forced to play headhunter or infection 5 times in a row. If I wanted to play either of those, I would have picked a specific playlist for it. However it doesn't give me the option to pick straight up slayer so therefor it suck my d**k.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pweidman

You get the option to kick immediately upon getting killed by a teammate in FF matchmaking.  I have no idea where people are getting this about a certain amount of damage before the option is given.  That's simply not true.  I agree wholeheartedly w/the tc.  Many things need fixing.  Lag, hopper options, campaign mm, etc.  And as someone else said, the ultimate would be custom FF matchmaking.  That would be so great, and I have no idea why that wasn't the deal from launch...just makes so much more sense than locking everyone into the 10 minute FF mm we have now.  The upside is Bungie has always listened to fans, and they should address most of this stuff pretty soon.
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By finstern
    @pweidman: Theres actually an "advanced" value system in place for when you betray someone. Basically if you betray someone right off the bat with no kills, chances are your giving the person you betrayed the option to kick you, If you are doing well (adds up kills, damage done to teammates, deaths, times you've saved teammates and times you've avenged teammates) it will be less likely to give the person you betrayed the option to kick you. I was in a tank for a game of CTF, had 47 kills and 2 deaths, our team stole the enemy tank drove it back to the middle of the map, I panicked and fired on it killing 4 of my teammates and it didn't give any of them the option to kick me. I know this because they all came over and started punching and grenading the tank thinking I did it on purpose.  

Also I support the custom matchmaking, even a system where you can enter the game type, map and some other details and go searching would be ideal imo.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SunKing: I totally agree with you, but isn't that exactly the way Halo has always been?
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pweidman
    @Finstern said:
    " @pweidman: Theres actually an "advanced" value system in place for when you betray someone. Basically if you betray someone right off the bat with no kills, chances are your giving the person you betrayed the option to kick you, If you are doing well (adds up kills, damage done to teammates, deaths, times you've saved teammates and times you've avenged teammates) it will be less likely to give the person you betrayed the option to kick you. I was in a tank for a game of CTF, had 47 kills and 2 deaths, our team stole the enemy tank drove it back to the middle of the map, I panicked and fired on it killing 4 of my teammates and it didn't give any of them the option to kick me. I know this because they all came over and started punching and grenading the tank thinking I did it on purpose.   Also I support the custom matchmaking, even a system where you can enter the game type, map and some other details and go searching would be ideal imo. "

OK, I guess playing CTF or some other team or objective based game mode you're right, but not in FF mm.  Kill a teammate and kick option is automatic.  And yeah, a way to search by the options already in custom FF, like Firefight Classic for instance, would be great in a custom FF mm set-up.  Right now no one wants to play custom because of the gimped xp and credits.  That and the cheap invincibility option available to get all the FF point achieves in 15 minutes,lol.  ODST was more fun w/achieves for every map imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.