Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo Reach credit farming

HeliumSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By HeliumSpoon

For those of you that don't know there is an exploit in Reach for getting lots of credits. There is a check point in the campaign right when you get the target designater that if reloaded over and over again will allow you to rack up kills getting thousands of credits in comendations. 

Do you think this is cheating? Do you do it? Will you do it? 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

I just do Gruntpocalypse whenever I want to farm for some credits.  Even then, I've only farmed whenever there's a piece of gear that I really want to get. 

Knowing this, I might try it once, but not really interested in farming.  I played WoW for three years, and let me tell ya - after you've farmed enough Primal Fires and Primal Airs to buy epic flying long before they reduced the price...and on a PvP server nonetheless in an incredibly hostile place (that would be Elemental Plateau)... 

Suffice it to say, I don't want to ever hardcore farm anything again.

HeliumSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HeliumSpoon

I personaly don't like the fact that this can be done. I used to look at someone who is already a lieutenant colonel and say "Wow, that guy is a raving lunitic who hasn't put the game down since he bought it". Now i'm just "Ohh, he did the thing. What a dick". You should have to earn your credits with hard work and determination.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

I'll pass. Bungie said they have a cap on points you can get daily and if they catch people manipulating credits then they will ban you from matchmaking.

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By holycrapitsadam

well I had no idea that there was a way to credit farm but now that you said this, I might have to check it out. Its not cheating if its in the game

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By groin

This exploit only works for about 40k credits. After that you get diminishing returns. You can keep grinding for the commendations by reloading but there are more efficient methods. 
    Bungie will not ban you for reloading a checkpoint.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By vidiot
    @ForestWarrier said:
    " I personaly don't like the fact that this can be done. I used to look at someone who is already a lieutenant colonel and say "Wow, that guy is a raving lunitic who hasn't put the game down since he bought it". Now i'm just "Ohh, he did the thing. What a dick". You should have to earn your credits with hard work and determination. "
    Meh. It was bound to happen, and I've heard Bungie isn't exactly taking it seriously. 
    I understand the annoyance, but there's a fine line between "hard work and determination" versus "annoyance, and compulsive behavior." Were talking about Halo here. It's a big whatever. They're not cheating, they're just exploiting the game, and I think we've all done that from time to time. Unless these credits fundamentally ruin the experience, which they don't, it's nothing to get upset about.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By vidiot
    @groin said:
     "Bungie will not ban you for reloading a checkpoint. "
    Should advertise this more.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By groin

Another method that works for a little while is to replay a mission on heroic or legendary (Winter Contingency is a good choice) with scoring turned on. Save and quit the game during the outro cinematic (as soon as it starts). Then you can resume the game from the menu and you will get 200 credits for every reload.

Durandal377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Durandal377

Yeah, they won't ban you for using credit exploits. Straight from the weekly update
    Will I be banned for playing <my favorite gametype>?
    Nope. You won’t be banned for legitimately playing Reach. If you find some particularly fast way of earning Credits because you want to be the first person on the planet with thunder and lightning swirling your visage, we won’t ban you for that, either. Assuming you’re actually playing, your efficient means of farming Credits will only expedite your trip to the Daily Cap – it won’t send you to Banadu.     

But yeah, I would only keep replaying that checkpoint for as long as it takes me to get the two corpses in one grave achievement.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By ReyGitano

Eventually it stops giving you as many credits... and even with the exploit, those ranks still seem so far away. I rather just play games when I went and get there eventually.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @Afroman269 said:
    " I'll pass. Bungie said they have a cap on points you can get daily and if they catch people manipulating credits then they will ban you from matchmaking. "
    They won't ban you. As they said, if someone has the desire to get the swirling electricity of death around their helmet and make themselves feel good they have the right to do so.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Afroman269
    @natetodamax: Weird could have sworn I saw something about that. Must have misread it. Well I do know for sure that there are daily caps.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By natetodamax
    @Afroman269 said:
    " @natetodamax: Weird could have sworn I saw something about that. Must have misread it. Well I do know for sure that there are daily caps. "
    Yes, there are caps, but what's also interesting is that only a very small number of people have actually hit it according to Bungie.
    ghad13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By ghad13

So, all you get is some skull things. You do not gain anything over other people. Let them waste their time leveling up for nothing if it makes them happy.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Sooperspy

I want Birthday Party or whatever, so I might do this. Also need Two Corpses in one Grave achievement

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf

Eh. It doesn't really matter. It doesn't affect anything in game...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ForestWarrier said:
    " I personaly don't like the fact that this can be done. I used to look at someone who is already a lieutenant colonel and say "Wow, that guy is a raving lunitic who hasn't put the game down since he bought it". Now i'm just "Ohh, he did the thing. What a dick". You should have to earn your credits with hard work and determination. "
    This is what that insane daily cap of 60,000 is for. I knew someone would find an exploit to rack up a lot of cR, and I'm guessing Bungie did to.
    flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By flufflogic
    @ForestWarrier said:

" For those of you that don't know there is an exploit in Reach for getting lots of credits. There is a check point in the campaign right when you get the target designater that if reloaded over and over again will allow you to rack up kills getting thousands of credits in comendations.  Do you think this is cheating? Do you do it? Will you do it?  "

There's a better one than that: farming Flawless Cowboy on Winter Contingency. If you skip most of the combat by running around it to the first truck, drive to the last building to get the troops, wait out the fight indoors, you just have to fight through the last bit where sword-guy is. Save after you kill the enemies there, just after flipping the switch (as the screen goes black), reload. Every time you reload, you get the credits for complete, Demon (killing the sword guy)and Flawless Cowboy (complete a level on Legendary without dying). 

Takes some skill to get to that last bit, but you can reload every 20 seconds... 

And Bungie have said it isn't cheating, it just means you hit the cap faster. They applaud people finding these things, as it means people don't whine about how hard it is to level and doesn't affect TrueSkill. 

Long list of farming methods from X360A, just to show there are many methods...
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By groin
    @flufflogic: That stops being effective very quickly.
    flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By flufflogic
    @groin said:
    " @flufflogic: That stops being effective very quickly. "
    Compared to the Multikill award? Nope. It takes AGES for Flawless Cowboy to hit Silver, and all that time it's a LOT of credits. Multikills max far faster, and that method takes longer.
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By groin
    @flufflogic: It drops from giving 200 credits, to 100, to 50, to 0 when the silver accomodation is unlocked. It does not take ages, unless 20 mins is a long time for you. Grinding for the gold would take a long time but you will be getting 0 credits after every reload.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @ForestWarrier said:
    What if they don't want to play online? Aren't they entitled to earn the rewards and play the game they just paid $60 for?
    Benjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Benjo
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " Eh. It doesn't really matter. It doesn't affect anything in game... "
    I think I'm on board with this.  The credits really only allow you to purchase new items for your avatar.  At the end of the day, this has always been more of a badge of honor during multiplayer than anything else.  However, how often do we really notice (or really care) about what someone else's avatar looks like. 

Therefore, the credit system is really becomes about what you have earned in order to spruce up what your avatar looks like.  If you want to use the exploit to get some credits that you didn't  necessarily earn the hard way, go for it.  I'm more in the camp of earning them through the normal means, but I can also understand that this exploit is something that was legitimately put into the game, and it's not like you're modding your console or game to do it.  Therefore, it's fair game in terms of use.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HydraHam
    @ForestWarrier said:
    Why? bungie made this way for a reason, some of us can't spend 100 hours a week playing to rank up and personally i don't care for ranks i just want some of the cool looking armor, i mostly just play firefight/coop.
    CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26  Edited By CraigAA1028

If most Halo players are like me, you grind and grind, play match after match, and at a point you get sick of the slow progession. The campaign checkpoint farming only works for awhile. ou'll get a good 10,000- 15,000 CR, then it stops being worth the time. Once you've maxed on a few select commendations, you get very few CR doing the exploit, maing it a waste of time. 

Bungie has come out and said they have no problem with people milking their favorite mode (Score Attack) or checkpoint (ONI). They placed the 60,000 CR daily limit to prevent people from taking advantage of the system. If they're cool with it, I'm cool with it.

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Videogames

Bungie should give floating halo rings over your Spartans head if you didn't... wait.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scullinator

I did the oni sword base thing a few times because it was fun.  It helped me get half way to getting warrant officer grade 3.  The points dropped off real fast.  Will they go back up after some time has passed?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By OldManLight

If someone wants to earn the credits popping heads in gruntpocalypse that's up to them, they'll get merked online.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tomance

I'm not too fond of the credit farming since I end up getting bored pretty easily.  I may try out gruntpocalypse a bit though.   Leveling up does take a while, but I imagine it's suppose to. 

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scullinator

Is there some setting that you need to change in gruntpocalypse to get a high credit total?  I played through it and only got a little over 400 credits.  This was after I ran the oni sword base a few times.  maybe this had something to do with it.  like maybe I hit the credit cap for the day or something.  I just dont know why people are mentioning the gruntapcoc as a credit farm thing, you get just as many points and spend as much time as you would just playing multiplayer online.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By groin
    @Scullinator: Try playing on Corvette. Take the left hallway after spawning and snipe from the ramp just outside the door. You should be getting around 800-1200 credits and finish with 4+ minutes left.
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By plop1920

You need to be chaining headshots and multi kills for gruntpocalypse to give any serious amount of credits, the oni checkpoint is way better for farming

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By artelinarose
    @Lukeweizer said:

" @ForestWarrier said:

What if they don't want to play online? Aren't they entitled to earn the rewards and play the game they just paid $60 for? "
    Kinda this in my situation. I don't get to play much as we only have one xbox, and the entire family wants to use the TV it's hooked up to for something different. No, I can't move the system. Long story. 

I want to play and get more awesome shit, but due to the lack of available playing opportunities, I have unfortunately resorted to farming credits to rank up quickly. It takes for fucking EVER to get through warrant officer already, it's even worse when I can play less than 4 hours a week. I just want some goddamn shoulder pads that don't suck. If I'm a wimp or a cheater or some other derogatory term for doing so, then whatever.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " @ForestWarrier said:
    What if they don't want to play online? Aren't they entitled to earn the rewards and play the game they just paid $60 for? "
    You don't have to play online.  cR can be gained by playing the campaign and in firefight, custom and local games.
    Albiet, not enough from anything but campaign.  So if you're one of those players and have been doing this just to be able to unlock more armour, then I could forgive that.

But if you're someone who's trying to show off online because you're a Lt.Col. already..  you have mental heatlh issues.  It's not impressive to farm cR and it's very easy to check what people have been doing to gain ranks in their service record.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hitchenson

Glorious Gruntpocalypse, like I give a fuck if people think it's cheap
     Glorious Gruntpocalypse, like I give a fuck if people think it's cheap
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " Eh. It doesn't really matter. It doesn't affect anything in game... "
    Exactly. All they've done is inadvertently found a way to label the penistically challenged.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By R3Qui4M

There is a way to reset daily challenges. But that is considered illegitimate and you might have your cr reset.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Teran
    @jakob187 said:

" I just do Gruntpocalypse whenever I want to farm for some credits.

Using the target designator is a far more efficient way to farm until you have certain commendations to the silver level or higher.  It's literally as easy as running to a place, picking up a weapon, triggering a checkpoint, and firing off the airstrke designator.  Start, revert to last save, yes.  Aim, pull the trigger, start, revert to last save, yes.  Aim, pull the trigger....  Each cycle take about 10-15 seconds and gets you about 60 credits until your commendations associated with multi kills and heavy weapon kills hits the silver level.  Even then though it's easy to keep farming for obsidian level commendations on heavy weapon kills as each rotation kills about 15 enemies.

@Afroman269

said:

" I'll pass. Bungie said they have a cap on points you can get daily and if they catch people manipulating credits then they will ban you from matchmaking. "

Bungie will ban you for gaming the system by resetting your daily challenges.  Exploiting campaign checkpoints is within the scope of standard game mechanics and they will not ban you for this.  They have however put a fix in the system reducing the number of credits you receive for certain things once you have commendations associated with that method of killing to the silver level.  The daily cap is designed to restrict legal farming, if they just banned folks who farmed they wouldn't need a credit cap and actually a credit cap would be counter productive for catching farmers considering how easy it would be to check on folks who have extremely high ranks to check and see how they got it.
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mighty
    @Afroman269 said:
    "I'll pass. Bungie said they have a cap on points you can get daily and if they catch people manipulating credits then they will ban you from matchmaking. "
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho

People are free to waste their lives.

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thaijedi
    @Tastyburger8:  I see what you did there ;)
    GTFan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GTFan712

I'll admit I did this the day I found out about it. Had some fun blowing some dudes up for about an hour, Onyxed the Splash Damage Commendation, got bored and played some Matchmaking, only to find I hit the credit limit. So I stopped campaign farming. I'll play a good bit of Gruntpocalypse, but now that Bungie is lowering the credits earned in that mode to match the rest of the game modes, there won't be much use of playing it except for daily challenges.  

To those who are skeptical about farming credits, Bungie won't credit ban you for playing campaign or Firefight and legitimately earning credits. They knew this would happen, which is why they put in the daily cap. However, if you farm Challenges by disconnecting from Xbox LIVE, that's cheating, and you'll be very upset you did it.

To all those that did the Challenge farming, have fun getting all your credits you spent so much time farming back. :D

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tunaburn

It only really lets you get like 40,000 credits before its useless. I did it and it took about 45 minutes before i was getting nothing out of it. Not im back to getting like 500 credits per mp match. I do wish there was a way to get more besides gruntpocalypse.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By natetodamax
    @Empirepaintball said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    "I'll pass. Bungie said they have a cap on points you can get daily and if they catch people manipulating credits then they will ban you from matchmaking. "
    "
    No, they won't. Bungie has already stated that they won't ban people that farm for credits.
    GTFan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GTFan712
    @natetodamax: They won't credit ban you if you're legitimately farming/earning the credits, but those who challenge farmed (earning a challenge, disconnecting from LIVE, earns challenge credits but challenge is not completed, repeat) are being credit banned. I've got a few people on my list who lost everything they wasted two weeks earning. Credit bans take away all your credits and armory purchases, and you are temporarily not allowed to earn credits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.