Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo: REACH title update in September

Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ghost249

Well here is something a friend stumbled upon and showed me, and it seems that it has been done... armor lock is now nerfed... people rejoice! while others remorse (I liked armor lock the way it was but I guess this had to be done because of the abuse of the ability...)

Source:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/halo-reach-title-update-coming-in-september-armor-lock-getting/

What do you guys think about this after only a year since its launch?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

I haven't played that game in the longest time, I remember being annoyed by it sometimes but why were people complaining?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DystopiaX

@Afroman269 said:

I haven't played that game in the longest time, I remember being annoyed by it sometimes but why were people complaining?

Cause people would almost die and just armor lock until their shields regenerated. Dumbest shit ever. Also heard there would be an option to turn off reticle bloom for custom games (note not per player, per game. So no advantages there)

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

Putting in shield bleed through doesn't seem necessary, it was fine before.

Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ghost249
    @Afroman269: well people complain when they find something "unfair" and that complaint usually changes the game and can either a)make the game better or b)make it worse. But people complain because it is "cheap" that the person becomes invincible when in armor lock and the player is unable to kill them making them frustrated or completely unaware on how to counteract that armor ability.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117

That article does a poor job of reporting the changes.

For one, this is a two pronged update. They are aiming to change the core Reach experience by fixing abused tactics, and are also separately creating playlists that make the game play more like the original Halo: CE.

The biggest change to the pure Reach side of things is armor lock. Players in armor lock still take no damage, they will exit the state with the same amount of shield/health they had before no matter what, but the amount of time the effect is active can be shorted by attacking the player. This means if you cause enough damage you can knock people out of lock, but they still do not take damage when in lock. This is subject to change after public beta testing.

The changes to make the game play more like Halo: CE are contained in to their own playlists, meant for those purchasing Halo Anniversary, and thus the remade maps for Reach. The changes being made here have not yet been fully defined, and are subject to change after a public beta testing.

They do have the option to change any number of things, like reticle bloom or what have you, but what they do change, how they change it, and in what playlists they change it in, is still in flux.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

What does "bleed through" mean?

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ProjektGill

It seems that 343 wants to mark their territory and show the fans that this is their franchise now. I'm not saying that the change is unsubstantial but it seems they are just adding a bunch of things to the options for people to change and not making any super permanent changes other than the armor lock tweak. I am kind of excited by the return of Shield Bleed-Through damage because after playing Halo 3 for years, it was probably the hardest thing to adjust to in Reach.

Also, Halo 3 received a title update around a year of release that revamped the leveling system and tweaked the melee system. 

@xyzygy said:

What does "bleed through" mean?

Bleed-through allows damage caused, when a shield is low, to be carried over to damage health. Currently, a melee will only remove shields, regardless of how low the shields are when you hit the player. Now I assume it will act more or less like Halo 3 where if you punch a person when their shields are low enough, it might kill them or at least take a significant amount out of their health bar.
    Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for this update, makes Reach feel more classic. Hopefully it comes out before Gears 3, otherwise I'll never try it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slaker117
    @xyzygy: "Bleed through" in this context is something that happens when a player with low shields is damaged with an attack that is more powerful than the remaining shield strength. In Reach as it currently is, when this happens the shields "pop" when depleted, and the extra damage does not affect the player's underlying health. If bleed through is implemented, the extra damage will carry though, damaging the player.

If that doesn't make sense, here is an example:

Without bleed through

Player stats before attack
    Shield- 5/100
    Health- 100/100

Attack does 50 damage

Player stats after attack
    Shield- 0/100
    Health- 100/100 

With bleed through

Player stats before attack
    Shield- 5/100
    Health- 100/100

Attack does 50 damage

Player stats after attack
    Shield- 0/100
    Health- 55/100
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

Sounds like a year too late. Good news for me though. Got the game a few months ago and I play online from time to time.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

All these changes seem for the better. I have not played Reach in months but i'll try it again when this update happens.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iDarktread

Finally.

Ub3rSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ub3rSlug

@Slaker117 said:

The biggest change to the pure Reach side of things is armor lock. Players in armor lock still take no damage, they will exit the state with the same amount of shield/health they had before no matter what, but the amount of time the effect is active can be shorted by attacking the player. This means if you cause enough damage you can knock people out of lock, but they still do not take damage when in lock.

Woah, the Joystiq article made it sound like the updated Armor Lock would only reduce the amount of damage you take, instead of completely protecting you. That would be worthless: you wouldn't be able to move and you would still take damage while locked!

As someone who's looking to get back into Reach with some friends, a fresh update with balance changes is much appreciated.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117
    @Ub3rSlug: Well, to be fair, they did mention that was something they could do, but their current plans are what I described. I agree, that does seem worthless, but who knows what they'll end up with.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Sitoxity

These changes only apply to certain matchmaking hoppers.

Reach will still play like it does today in the playlists it's set to.

Almost every news site seems to be missing this fact, so again in bold.

Reach is NOT changing how it is played. It is changing thing sin the backend so these things are akin to GAMETYPE changes and are going to be applied to the appropriate hopper.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Fosssil

I'm so glad Bungie is not in charge of this series anymore. 343 just took a game that was only marginally better than Halo 3 and, with a few small changes, transformed it into a game that will far surpass Halo 2.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It's a bout time.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By rawrz

My favorite part of this update is the bloom reduction. 85% bloom sounds great and hopefully now it will eliminate the randomness the of the current bloom settings. I just really wish they would nerf the stupid nukes, I mean grenades.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#20  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I always kinda thought armor lock just made people bigger targets for me. I mean, I get the abuse by high-level players, so I don't really mind if they nerf it, but camping an armor-locked guy just to fire a grenade in his face right after always kinda made my day just that much more spectacular.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iDarktread
    @iDarktread said:
    Finally.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Vinny_Says

your shield recharges when in armor lock? The fuck since when?

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FajitaBoss

Awessome I still play Reach everynight since launch, I approve of this update!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Fosssil said:

I'm so glad Bungie is not in charge of this series anymore. 343 just took a game that was only marginally better than Halo 3 and, with a few small changes, transformed it into a game that will far surpass Halo 2.

Yeah, as much as I love what Bungie have done, they really needed someone else to come along and shake things up. I'm honestly glad they've moved on and hope 343 can make the next Halo game as amazing as it should be.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DonPixel

@Ghost249 said:

Well here is something a friend stumbled upon and showed me, and it seems that it has been done... armor lock is now nerfed... people rejoice! while others remorse (I liked armor lock the way it was but I guess this had to be done because of the abuse of the ability...)

Source:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/halo-reach-title-update-coming-in-september-armor-lock-getting/
    What do you guys think about this after only a year since its launch?

I still play Reach almost everynight since launch - I do think amor lock needed a tweak looooong ago, Why do they took so long? no idea..

As you said seems weird to me they are going for it now

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Cramsy

Holy shit this sounds fantastic! Might get back on Reach now 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.