Is Reach bringing you back to Halo?

#1 Posted by TranceAddix (72 posts) -

For me, Halo 3 didn't really hit the spot - I played it for a bit, but it didn't resonate with me like Halo, and Halo 2 did. Coincidentally, Reach is looking really fun, and I'm genuinely excited for the beta to launch. Who else feels like Reach is the breath of fresh air for the series?

#2 Posted by MjHealy (1842 posts) -

I really have no interest in Halo. I mean, I'm not one of those jerks who hate on Halo for the sake of it but it's just not my thing. After watching that Ask Me Anything video and some trailers, I'm actually kinda excited to play Reach. There just seems to be something modern or changed about it.

#3 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Nah, I have been with Halo since I played it for the first time. I'm more excited for Reach than Halo 3 though.

#4 Posted by TranceAddix (72 posts) -

That is also interesting how Reach is bringing new people in -- quite an accomplishment for Bungie, I think.

#5 Posted by scud7171 (3 posts) -
@TranceAddix: i played a lot of halo 3 but i eventualy stoped due to all my friends playing MW2 but know after realizing how bad that game is ive been back at it and im crazy stoked for reach adn plan to put alot of time into it.
#6 Posted by Warfare (1633 posts) -

No.

#7 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Been getting back into the H3 multiplayer, so I guess in a way it has.

#8 Edited by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
@Warfare said:

" No. "

BOOM. Where's your positivity now?

In all seriousness though, the idea of a better narrative pulling the (apparently improved) game play aspects together is pretty appealing.

@scud7171 said:

" @TranceAddix: i played a lot of halo 3 but i eventualy stoped due to all my friends playing MW2 but know after realizing how bad that game is ive been back at it and im crazy stoked for reach adn plan to put alot of time into it. "

Welcome to the forums. Good to see someone who's first post isn't a quest blog.
#9 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I never left you Halo.

#10 Posted by mano521 (1223 posts) -

we'll see

#11 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i have played plenty of halo 3, tons of multiplayer, custom games, forge. i even play campaign every once in a while still to this day
with halo reach, i'll go back to multiplayer

#12 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

Absolutely. 

I was turned off by Halo 3.  It just didn't feel right to me.  I go back to it every once in a while just for something different to play, but I rarely play for more than an hour at a time. 

Halo 1 & 2 were amazing games, and I thoroughly enjoyed the FUCK out of them.  The only time I ever played Halo 2 online was when XBLv1 was going down, as I always played system link with 15 other buddies.  LOL 

With Reach, it seems like they are scratching a serious itch for my objective-based multiplayer love, while also keeping what makes Halo great in there.  Moreover, it feels like they are making significant changes, which is one of the issues I had with Halo 3 - I didn't feel the changes they made were significant or even that big.  Yes, Forge was a huge thing, and the items were a huge thing...but they didn't feel huge to me at all. 

I'm so fucking psyched for Reach that I can hardly take it, and all of my friends that don't really dig Halo are also looking forward to checking it out.  I can guarantee I'll be rolling Spartan as much as possible.

#13 Posted by thejamster (263 posts) -

well i got my 360 and halo 3 about a year and a half ago and I'm still playing the hell out of that game. can't wait for the beta to start!

#14 Posted by Sh4ft3d (134 posts) -

Definitely. Enjoyed Halo 3's multiplayer for a good while, but got tired of it when I couldn't play with friends any more (school, we all got more busy). Really looking forward to Reach's multiplayer.

#15 Posted by Cmdc00kie (46 posts) -

All the new stuff thats branching the game out more is getting me all hyped up for the beta.
#16 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

never left.

#17 Posted by RobbieMac (534 posts) -

Well I stopped playing for about a year to play COD4 and then I got excited for Modern Warfare 2.... and well that was a disappointment so I essentially went right back to playing Halo 3.  Well it actually has just been Halo 3 and the Blur beta.  Regardless, I am hoping to get lucky today and get in.  If not I will be playing after work on Monday.

#18 Posted by lost_sole90 (2 posts) -
Definitely coming back to Halo for this. Halo 3 was nice and all, but after a year, I was done with it.
#19 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

I never ever thought after Halo 3 that I would be excited about a new Halo game. But it seems like Bungie is actually making meaningful changes to the Halo style of game and not just trying to cash in like they did with Halo 3. I do feel bad that I probably wont get to play the beta, as I wasn't a hardcore fan and skipped ODST.

#20 Posted by TranceAddix (72 posts) -
@End_Boss said:
" @Warfare said:

" No. "

BOOM. Where's your positivity now?

In all seriousness though, the idea of a better narrative pulling the (apparently improved) game play aspects together is pretty appealing.

@scud7171 said:

" @TranceAddix: i played a lot of halo 3 but i eventualy stoped due to all my friends playing MW2 but know after realizing how bad that game is ive been back at it and im crazy stoked for reach adn plan to put alot of time into it. "

Welcome to the forums. Good to see someone who's first post isn't a quest blog. "
Thanks - I've been with the site for a a while, but finally decided to venture to the forums :)

@jakob187 said:
" Absolutely.  I was turned off by Halo 3.  It just didn't feel right to me.  I go back to it every once in a while just for something different to play, but I rarely play for more than an hour at a time.  Halo 1 & 2 were amazing games, and I thoroughly enjoyed the FUCK out of them.  The only time I ever played Halo 2 online was when XBLv1 was going down, as I always played system link with 15 other buddies.  LOL  With Reach, it seems like they are scratching a serious itch for my objective-based multiplayer love, while also keeping what makes Halo great in there.  Moreover, it feels like they are making significant changes, which is one of the issues I had with Halo 3 - I didn't feel the changes they made were significant or even that big.  Yes, Forge was a huge thing, and the items were a huge thing...but they didn't feel huge to me at all.  I'm so fucking psyched for Reach that I can hardly take it, and all of my friends that don't really dig Halo are also looking forward to checking it out.  I can guarantee I'll be rolling Spartan as much as possible. "

Exactly how I feel, exactly. 

@RobbieMac said:
"  Well I stopped playing for about a year to play COD4 and then I got excited for Modern Warfare 2.... and well that was a disappointment so I essentially went right back to playing Halo 3.  Well it actually has just been Halo 3 and the Blur beta.  Regardless, I am hoping to get lucky today and get in.  If not I will be playing after work on Monday. "

COD4 was my saving grace from Halo 3 - back in the day, I played it, but never really felt right. But as i have mentioned earlier, Reach is really exciting to me.
#21 Edited by Icemael (6316 posts) -

It can't bring me back to Halo, since I never had much interest in the series. It might, however, bring me to Halo. I didn't really enjoy what little I played of Halo 2 and 3, but Reach looks pretty fun. If the single player campaign is good, I might pick it up.

#22 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I never left. 

#23 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I never left Halo.

#24 Edited by theMixxer (41 posts) -

Reach is definitely bringing me back to Halo, at least multiplayer. I played so much Halo 2 and had a blast, but for some reason Halo 3 didn't resonate the same way. Played it for a couple of months (mostly co-op) and then set it down for COD4 and other games afterward. After watching videos for Reach (especially the lengthy beta video here on GB), I'm very hyped for this game. Looks like they put in a lot of work in terms of tuning the gameplay in a way that I find much more accessible like loadouts, melee damage, and new game modes. A big plus is that my friends are also excited for Reach so it should make for a very fun beta.

#25 Posted by Pageboy (62 posts) -

Yes! 
Halo CE was awesome, but I got less interested with 2 and 3. Never really played Halo multi-player but I just bought ODST to get into the Reach Beta cause I am super psyched to play it. It looks awesome. Can't wait!!!

#26 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Back? More like deeper into.

#27 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -

I have never really cared about halo multiplayer but this seems interesting.

#28 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

I might actually buy a Halo game. Which is weird for me, I don't have an xbox, so computer hopefully? Which I think could ruin it maybe.

#29 Posted by AuthenticM (3716 posts) -

I just wish this series would die already. Halo 2 should have been the last. I'm probably going to play it for a while, before it strikes me: "Yup, this is Halo"; then I'll toss the game away and never play a Halo game again.

#30 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

You can definitely say that I am coming back to Halo. In the past month, I have been playing more Halo 3 than I have in a while. I don't know if it's Reach doing it (probably) but I am definitely liking Halo all over again. 

#31 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

Never left.

#32 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" I just wish this series would die already. Halo 2 should have been the last. I'm probably going to play it for a while, before it strikes me: "Yup, this is Halo"; then I'll toss the game away and never play a Halo game again. "
That seems like a waste of money if that's the little effort your going to make to actually like the game.
#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Haven't played halo since Halo 3... this might bring me back. The game better be pretty different though. We'll see monday!

#34 Posted by AuthenticM (3716 posts) -
@Agent47CSim2 said:
" @AuthenticM said:
" I just wish this series would die already. Halo 2 should have been the last. I'm probably going to play it for a while, before it strikes me: "Yup, this is Halo"; then I'll toss the game away and never play a Halo game again. "
That seems like a waste of money if that's the little effort your going to make to actually like the game. "
Which is why I'm not going to put a single penny on it and play the game at my friend's house.
#35 Posted by ez123 (1956 posts) -

Kinda? I don't plan on playing ODST but I'm there for Reach.

#36 Posted by AdamGee (40 posts) -

I can say that Halo 3 killed the series for me, but after seeing all these trailers and game play it is making me excited and I can see myself enjoying the game.

#37 Posted by Schizoid (1064 posts) -

Halo 3 and ODST didn't really grip me as much as Halo 2 and Halo did, ODST was so poor that I never even bothered completing the campaign! But with Reach it feels like they've definitely put a lot of thought into how they can make the Halo formula fun again and I can't wait.

#38 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

I played it because of the superb multiplayer. 
The whole Halo universe/story didn't grab me all that much. 

#39 Posted by casualterror (122 posts) -

Dude I am the same way as you. Halo 3 played it a couple months I didn't even buy ODST but after seeing the Ask Me Anything I am totally in.

#40 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Nah, I have been with Halo since I played it for the first time. I'm more excited for Reach than Halo 3 though. "
Pretty much.
#41 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I never left halo

#42 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" @Agent47CSim2 said:
" @AuthenticM said:
That seems like a waste of money if that's the little effort your going to make to actually like the game. "
Which is why I'm not going to put a single penny on it and play the game at my friend's house. "
You'r going to toss a friend's game away? That doesn't seem very nice.
#43 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I definitely want to try it out at least. 

#44 Posted by TranceAddix (72 posts) -

Well, I didn't manage to get a code after trying all day; to anyone that has: what do you think? Is it revolutionary - or at least fresh? 

To everyone that didn't leave Halo: I wouldn't have either, but Halo 3 didn't feel right to me.

#45 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I've missed Halo 2 & 3 online (I've tried 3, but it seemed a bit dated at the time and just didn't compete with the first BF:BC which I was playing religiously at the time). Got me a used copy of ODST yesterday (really fun campaign) in order to get into the Halo : Reach Beta. I'm looking forward to it. The perfect break from BF:BC 2, which I've played way too much since release. I need to let that game simmer idly for awhile for it to get its flavour back. Reach's Beta is gonna be the shit!

#46 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

I havn't played Halo 3 real seriously since 2007, and for maybe a week or two after every map pack that's about it. CoD4 tore me away from Halo 3 which was just too similar to the Halo 2 I had been playing for years. Now two and a half years later after playing nothing but military shooters with a scatter shot of problems from MW2's overall crapiness that will likely never be patched to Bad Company 2's glaring issues that were suddenly deemed less important to patch on consoles than a damn Dr. Pepper promo. Halo 3 may have been archaic but it was steady as a rock. Reach seems to blend that steadiness of design choice with a few modernizations here and there. Also the everyone is always on a even playing field and skill is all that matters approach is much better "lawlz I killed u with meh choppa gunnner".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.