Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

should Halo 4 change the Halo format

• 78 results
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By illmatic19

My prediction for the Halo franchise in the hands of   343i
    My prediction for the Halo franchise in the hands of   343i
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Personally I would really like a SW: Republic Commando style game, that would be awesome.  Also we don't need a Halo 4 because then it wouldn't be a trilogy! 

On another note, no we don't need more COD clones or forced sexuality just for the sake of it.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By LiquidPrince

Oh my god, there is a Halo 4 coming?! I thought Reach was the last one.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#54  Edited By ThePickle
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Oh my god, there is a Halo 4 coming?! I thought Reach was the last one. "
    Reach is the last for Bungie. Not for Microsoft though, for them, it's just getting started. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    Reach is the last for Bungie. Not for Microsoft though, for them, it's just getting started.  "
    Some people liked Halo, not me, but some people. Are they trying to make every one hate it?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By xyzygy

The millions upon millions of people who bought Reach say no. If you want to play a different "format", play a different game.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By christ0phe

I think it would be interesting to see Master Chief in a Far Cry kind of area on the unkown planet...trying to survive and finding a way off or a way to civilazation

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ThePickle
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @HandsomeDevil said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    Reach is the last for Bungie. Not for Microsoft though, for them, it's just getting started.  "
    Some people liked Halo, not me, but some people. Are they trying to make every one hate it? "
    They might not try, but they will certainly succeed. 
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Brendan

Ugh this sex thing is so lame.  When the spartans had their surgeries and modifications, they lost their sexual drive.  Halo: The Fall of Reach.  Read it.  I am such a nerd for writing this comment.
    slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By slax
    @niamahai said:
    . 5. Emile is Ghost. "
    I laughed.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By louiedog
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I thought Reach was the last Halo game they were making.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By louiedog
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I thought Reach was the last Halo game they were making. "
    Bungie has said it's their last Halo game. Microsoft owns Halo though, so it's probably not the last we'll see.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#64  Edited By Jost1

NO to aiming down the sights. Let Halo keep the things that make Halo, Halo.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#65  Edited By TheGremp
    @josty81 said:
    " NO to aiming down the sights. Let Halo keep the things that make Halo, Halo. "
    Because Halo is the only game ever made that doesn't have ironsights. 

I really just don't see what's so special about the Halo series.  It's just another generic shooter.  They took the first person shooter, slowed it down, took away the rocket jump, unbalanced the weapons, and made a load of cash.  Bungie became a renowned developer by taking the skill-based formula found in classic FPS games and ruining it with auto-aim, vehicles and overpowered weapons.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#66  Edited By Jost1
    @TheGremp said:

" @josty81 said:

" NO to aiming down the sights. Let Halo keep the things that make Halo, Halo. "
    Because Halo is the only game ever made that doesn't have ironsights.  I really just don't see what's so special about the Halo series.  It's just another generic shooter.  They took the first person shooter, slowed it down, took away the rocket jump, unbalanced the weapons, and made a load of cash.  Bungie became a renowned developer by taking the skill-based formula found in classic FPS games and ruining it with auto-aim, vehicles and overpowered weapons. "

I disagree.  Halo has the fairly unique mix of on-foot and vehicular combat, it innovated with online play that was really easy to get into, and its level design was innovative too. Huge, open areas with multiple viable strategies - it felt fresh in 2001 and still works to this day.

Its fiction AND its visual design are pretty unique too, so there's very little that's "generic" about the series.

Also I didn't say Halo is the only game to not have aiming down the sights.  But I do think it would be stupid to suddenly use that mechanic just because "every other" shooter does it. THAT would be generic.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By louiedog
    @josty81 said:
    " @TheGremp said:
    " @josty81 said:
    Because Halo is the only game ever made that doesn't have ironsights.  I really just don't see what's so special about the Halo series.  It's just another generic shooter.  They took the first person shooter, slowed it down, took away the rocket jump, unbalanced the weapons, and made a load of cash.  Bungie became a renowned developer by taking the skill-based formula found in classic FPS games and ruining it with auto-aim, vehicles and overpowered weapons. "
     I disagree.  Halo has the fairly unique mix of on-foot and vehicular combat, it innovated with online play that was really easy to get into, and its level design was innovative too. Huge, open areas with multiple viable strategies - it felt fresh in 2001 and still works to this day.   Its fiction AND its visual design are pretty unique too, so there's very little that's "generic" about the series. "
    I agree completely. I grew up playing Wolfeinstein 3D, Doom, Ken's Labyrinth, Heretic, Hexen, Blood, Quake, Soldier of Fortune, SiN, etc and I was angry when Microsoft acquired Bungie and it was announced that Halo was no longer coming to the PC because I was really looking forward to it. I'd enjoyed Myth and Oni quite a bit and was waiting to see their next game. I'd played Goldeneye and it was garbage compared to the games I'd been playing, like Quake, and I didn't think there was any way someone would make a good console FPS. I didn't think the controls could work. A friend got an Xbox, and had a couple of short experiences with it, but I wrote it off as crap. Eventually I got a roommate with an Xbox, and having the time to sit down and actually play the game showed me that it was actually very good.
    cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By cookiemonster

Are you a troll?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Azteck
    @niamahai said:
    5. Emile is Ghost. "
    MIND = BLOWN
    Avatar image for cletusthefoetus
    CletusTheFoetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CletusTheFoetus

I don't think they need to change anything with the mechanics. They make Halo what it is, However I do think they need to look at the length of the fire fights you get into and how they impact the story. In a lot of places the game felt contrived, not flowing naturally as you would expect, which needs to change. I'm not saying we need the fast paced action we see in MW2 but more "I'm Master Chief, I clear rooms" sort of thing.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I think they should continue the franchise.  It's space opera.  I'm sure
    there are a million different stories they could do here.  It's an excellent
    IP & they can use it for many different games, not just a shooter. Like
    they did with Halo Wars.  How about an RPG version ala Mass Effect?

You know what I'd like to see?  I'd like to see Halo 4 be something like
    God Emperor of Dune. Where they just fast-forward 20,000, 100,000
    years into the future of the Halo Universe & it is just some off-the-wall 
    on LSD wild ass story where you are just like: what the fuck is going on??  
    Accept in game form. :-)

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By niamahai
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " I think they should continue the franchise.  It's space opera.  I'm sure there are a million different stories they could do here.  It's an excellent IP & they can use it for many different games, not just a shooter. Like they did with Halo Wars.  How about an RPG version ala Mass Effect?  You know what I'd like to see?  I'd like to see Halo 4 be something like God Emperor of Dune. Where they just fast-forward 20,000, 100,000 years into the future of the Halo Universe & it is just some off-the-wall  on LSD wild ass story where you are just like: what the fuck is going on??   Accept in game form. :-) "
    after the events of Halo 3 it pretty much set the stage for some ME-esque council thingy.
    i think all Halo games should be about the covenant-human war. Though i can see it bit getting over-saturated really quick.

or 343 could go crazy and introduce midiclorians
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @niamahai said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " I think they should continue the franchise.  It's space opera.  I'm sure there are a million different stories they could do here.  It's an excellent IP & they can use it for many different games, not just a shooter. Like they did with Halo Wars.  How about an RPG version ala Mass Effect?  You know what I'd like to see?  I'd like to see Halo 4 be something like God Emperor of Dune. Where they just fast-forward 20,000, 100,000 years into the future of the Halo Universe & it is just some off-the-wall  on LSD wild ass story where you are just like: what the fuck is going on??   Accept in game form. :-) "
    after the events of Halo 3 it pretty much set the stage for some ME-esque council thingy. i think all Halo games should be about the covenant-human war. Though i can see it bit getting over-saturated really quick.  or 343 could go crazy and introduce midiclorians "
    Well in order for the Halo universe to move forward they can't focus
    on the same players in the story. I think the need to define (or maybe they
    have) just how big the Covenant Empire is & then open a new 
    sector (or corridor) of the galaxy that the game can branch into. 
    For instance have Covenant and Human (what is it United Systems?)
    form a Coalition to some other threat (not Flood).  And then move
    forward on a trilogy for that.

The key part being that the Universe is a very big place.  For instance,
    in the Traveller RPG universe, the tons of alien races & area the game
    takes place in is several parsecs large, but if you zoom out on the
    Milky Way galaxy, the whole Traveller locale is only a very tiny square
    of the galaxy.   Halo's Universe should be similar, just a huge plethora
    of aliens & stories in a small area of the galaxy with huge amounts of
    room for expansion.

Don't do it like Star Wars, where it spans the entire galaxy.  I don't think
    Star Wars could do it right, but it fit for the stories Star Wars needed to
    put across. However, it didn't really feel like the galaxy was all that big.
    If it was, then there would be so many alien races you would probably
    never see the same race twice.  I didn't get that feel from the movies.
    But I digress on the latter point, don't want to talk about Star Wars &
    its failings. :P
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By time allen

i'm not really a huge fan of other people leeching off of somebody else's creativity, but that aside, halo ended once bungie left it.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By niamahai
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    Well in order for the Halo universe to move forward they can't focus on the same players in the story. I think the need to define (or maybe they have) just how big the Covenant Empire is & then open a new  sector (or corridor) of the galaxy that the game can branch into.  For instance have Covenant and Human (what is it United Systems?) form a Coalition to some other threat (not Flood).  And then move forward on a trilogy for that.  The key part being that the Universe is a very big place.  For instance, in the Traveller RPG universe, the tons of alien races & area the game takes place in is several parsecs large, but if you zoom out on the Milky Way galaxy, the whole Traveller locale is only a very tiny square of the galaxy.   Halo's Universe should be similar, just a huge plethora of aliens & stories in a small area of the galaxy with huge amounts of room for expansion.  Don't do it like Star Wars, where it spans the entire galaxy.  I don't think Star Wars could do it right, but it fit for the stories Star Wars needed to put across. However, it didn't really feel like the galaxy was all that big. If it was, then there would be so many alien races you would probably never see the same race twice.  I didn't get that feel from the movies.But I digress on the latter point, don't want to talk about Star Wars & its failings. :P "
    but making Halo 4 = Warhammer 40k Tau: Fire Warrior 2 isn't the solution either.
    man.. 343 isn't exactly an easy studio to work in. seeing how high the Halo benchmark have been set..

no matters, whatever 343 does with the Halo universe, i will still buy the legendary edition. And complain.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#76  Edited By big_jon

Halo 4 should not exist.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#77  Edited By natetodamax
    @niamahai said:
    Sexual tension amongst the Spartans (female spartans have nice booty, FACT)
    Heck yeah they do! 

No Caption Provided
    I don't think any drastic changes will benefit Halo. I for one like it the way it is right now.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

While this thread is pretty shit, I'll give my two cents. 

I think it almost has to be a new game.  343 isn't going to able to make a Bungie Halo game as good as Bungie.  It would be like a Chinese knock off Honda engine.  It works and would be fine to use, but it's just an imitation of something better.  While I don't want it to become one of these "run through a tunnel" shooters, I want it to bring the next big thing.  I remember how awesome Halo:CE was.  I remember first playing COD and how awesome it was to aim down the gun.  I want a main mechanic of the game to make you say "wow" when you first see it.  

As for the story, I honestly think it should be post Halo 3 with Master Chief crash landing on the Forerunner planet.  Prequels don't give you that same "what is going to happen next" feeling.  They could start at the very beginning with the Forerunner storyline because I think it's far enough removed from the Human/Covenant war.  

So in short, keep large scale combat and make it the next big thing. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.