Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Was anyone else underwhelmed by Halo Reach footage at E3 2010?

• 69 results
    Avatar image for cynicaloptimist
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CynicalOptimist

I thought gameplay footage for Halo Reach looked great at first, but I was underwhelmed by it when I took my fanboy goggles off when I viewed it for the second time. The gameplay looks... well.... the same, it's nothing new other than a few gimmicks. The assassinations are nothing new, even for it's genre and the space battles look generic, they look like that they were ripped straight off of Ratchet & Clank. The visuals look nice, but nothing made me go "WOW", it looks better than Halo 3 but that isn't saying much. Not to mention how awful the music was, it started off well but then it went with a cheesy and godawful butt-rock music. The action didn't look spectacular either, it was very dry and bland too.

I gave up on this series after the first game. There are far more interesting FPS from E3, such as; Bulletstorm, Rage, Brink, and Crysis 2. I doubt it will win any industry awards at E3, especially from the E3 Game Critics Awards.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By StarFoxA

It looked... like Halo.

Halo has always been too floaty for me, I don't really like the shooting mechanics, and the story is stunningly bland. The first game was the best of the five that have come out so far. Its cultural impact is undeniable, however.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Lies

They chose to showcase it on an extremely low difficulty for some odd reason, especially since it was very small scale combat. Easy difficulty and AR spray doesn't really do a good job of conveying the depth and intensity of Halo's combat. The atmospherics looked good and space battles were a nice surprise. They're going to be showing more at their event tonight, so we should be getting a clearer picture of the game then. Press conference was a nice teaser.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
    TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
    @CynicalOptimist: it seems like all thats left for halo is the story and those who truly follow it. gameplay just can't get any better D: man, i remember the first e3 Halo 2 trailer/gameplay... that was awesome
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Its only underwhelming when you compare it to every other shooter. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dany

I know next to nothing about Halo but the part at the end where your dude was going up to that rocket ship, i was half expecting someone to say 117 is a go, as if launching him to deep space bu hey, i don't know

CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @nofx4208 said:
    " @CynicalOptimist: it seems like all thats left for halo is the story and those who truly follow it. gameplay just can't get any better D: man, i remember the first e3 Halo 2 trailer/gameplay... that was awesome "

Too bad the E3 footage for Halo 2 looked like nothing in the actual game, it the game's campaign was about as exciting and thrilling as a presidential debate between Ben Stein against Sarah Palin.
    Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Halo bashing threads are both new and interesting

CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @ryanwho said:
    "Its only underwhelming when you compare it to every other shooter.  "

Yeah I know, compared to FPS games that look actually fresh and unique? Bulletstorm  and Crysis 2 E3 gameplay footage were far more interesting than Halo Reach's.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Lies: Dude, there's a Bungie event tonight? Will it be streamed?
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Lies
    @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @nofx4208 said:
    " @CynicalOptimist: it seems like all thats left for halo is the story and those who truly follow it. gameplay just can't get any better D: man, i remember the first e3 Halo 2 trailer/gameplay... that was awesome "
    Too bad the E3 footage for Halo 2 looked like nothing in the actual game, it the game's campaign was about as exciting and thrilling as a presidential debate between Ben Stein against Sarah Palin. "
    U trollin bro? Obviously that exact level wasn't in the game, but it looked very similar to the New Mombasa levels that were included, and played near-identical (unless you're lamenting the loss of the single-shot battle rifle, but given your attitude I doubt that).

My heart grieves for the loss of that level still every time someone brings it up, but to say it bore no resemblance to the final product is disingenuous.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @Buck_Sexington said:
    "Halo bashing threads are both new and interesting "

Who said I was bashing on the game? Do you see me post comments like "gaylo reach around!!! hur hur hur!!!!" No! I'm giving my thoughts and criticisms, I'm asking everyone else if they shared my sentiments.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mazik765
    @Buck_Sexington said:
    " Halo bashing threads are both new and interesting "
    This. 

Halo looks like Halo. Just like Gears looked like Gears, Killzone looked like Killzone and Medal of Honor...well Medal of Honor looked like Cal of Duty. The point being it looks to be more great, solid Halo-style action for people who enjoy Halo games. Why would you ever expect a Halo game to not be Halo?
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaneDev

I thought it looked great but the whole thing seemed a bit rushed in the way it was presented and the weird way he just grabs the rocket launcher without even looking at the tank. Also not sure about the Elites having amour abilities.

How can you take your fanboy goggles off if you gave up on the series after the first game?

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vonocourt

The only thing I really came away with was that I loved how violently the elite pod's crashed.

Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    Who said I was bashing on the game? Do you see me post comments like "gaylo reach around!!! hur hur hur!!!!" No! I'm giving my thoughts and criticisms, I'm asking everyone else if they shared my sentiments. "
    It's a thinly veiled trolling attempt.

The graphics in Reach are pretty good, certainly better than any previous Halo and the action looked the same as all the previous Halo's because they all sold millions of copies and it's what people want to play.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @mazik765 said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    " Halo bashing threads are both new and interesting "
    This.   Halo looks like Halo. Just like Gears looked like Gears, Killzone looked like Killzone and Medal of Honor...well Medal of Honor looked like Cal of Duty. The point being it looks to be more great, solid Halo-style action for people who enjoy Halo games. Why would you ever expect a Halo game to not be Halo? "

The thing is, there has been far too many Halo games (One of them being a sub-par RTS for consoles) and the series has been becoming stale with no drastic changes. Same goes to the Call of Duty series, the series went downhill with Modern Campfare 2. There have been two Killzone titles (Plus one for the PSP that was different) and two Gears of War games, they can rehash the same formula as long as they make it better and the series hasn't gone stale yet. Medal of Honor is taking a different approach by being in a modern and realistic setting, in a nonfictional war. Those games are actually fresh, Reach was not.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pweidman

I loved the demo footage.  The graphics, models, music, the ELITES!, the grenade launcher,  the level design and draw distance, and the Sabre stuff all impressed me. Reminded me of a lvl from Halo:CE actually.  I'm a fan, and I was doubting, but I can't wait to play this campaign now.   Either you dig the gameplay/canon or you don't I guess. 
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By jkz
    @StarFoxA said:
    " It looked... like Halo.  Halo has always been too floaty for me, I don't really like the shooting mechanics, and the story is stunningly bland. The first game was the best of the five that have come out so far. Its cultural impact is undeniable, however. "
    Pretty much my feelings entirely, although I do pop in H3 for multi-player every once in a while.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was actually more hyped for Reach after seeing the video.  
    Can't wait to try that space combat section. 

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Demyx

It wasn't anything new and exciting. They already had the multiplayer beta so showing off more gameplay wasn't going to do much for anyone. The space combat looked interesting and to see that in a Halo game is pretty different. But its not new if you think about it on a larger scale. This game is still Halo with some new stuff. My friends and my brother will probably get it so I'll enjoy playing it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ProfessorEss

As usual I'm sure I'll have a blast playing through the campaign with my buds.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Insectecutor

It has space flight. Deal done.

I'm not a big Halo fan, but that whole trip up to the rocket, getting in and flying up into space to battle dudes is something I've always thought would be cool, and they did it. Maybe if you like Halo you won't like Halo: Reach.

CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @Buck_Sexington said:
    " @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    Who said I was bashing on the game? Do you see me post comments like "gaylo reach around!!! hur hur hur!!!!" No! I'm giving my thoughts and criticisms, I'm asking everyone else if they shared my sentiments. "
    It's a thinly veiled trolling attempt.   The graphics in Reach are pretty good, certainly better than any previous Halo and the action looked the same as all the previous Halo's because they all sold millions of copies and it's what people want to play. "

Yes I'm a troll because I have an opposing opinion, sad excuse of criticism there pal. The visuals do look better than previous Halo titles, but they've been surpassed by superior looking games at the convention. Just because it's what the people want doesn't mean it's necessary or good, that would be defending Bush's 2004 Presidential victory or supporting Michael Bay to make more reguirtitating miserable excuses of filmmaking.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Vonocourt said:
    " The only thing I really came away with was that I loved how violently the elite pod's crashed. "
    Dude yeah. That part got to me too.

I'm excited to see what this turns into. The space stuff looked a little wimpy, but we only saw like 5 seconds of it. I have some hope for this, and I haven't even played a Halo since the first game.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @Demyx said:
    "It wasn't anything new and exciting. They already had the multiplayer beta so showing off more gameplay wasn't going to do much for anyone. The space combat looked interesting and to see that in a Halo game is pretty different. But its not new if you think about it on a larger scale. This game is still Halo with some new stuff. My friends and my brother will probably get it so I'll enjoy playing it. "

I somehow getting the feeling that once it's released, it will receive lukewarm response from critics and ends up being of the year's biggest dissapointments. While Crysis 2 becomes one of the year's best games and becomes the year's best FPS, that game certainly looked more interesting than Reach. Considering that Crysis was a fantastic game, one of the most underappreciated shooters of this gen.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho

I love how "it looks and plays like  ______ because its _______" is either an insult or somehow a compliment depending on the game its aimed at. Fuck Zelda for being Zelda, hey Halo is just being Halo and fuck you hater. Oh gamers.

Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    " @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    It's a thinly veiled trolling attempt.   The graphics in Reach are pretty good, certainly better than any previous Halo and the action looked the same as all the previous Halo's because they all sold millions of copies and it's what people want to play. "
    Yes I'm a troll because I have an opposing opinion, sad excuse of criticism there pal. The visuals do look better than previous Halo titles, but they've been surpassed by superior looking games at the convention. Just because it's what the people want doesn't mean it's necessary or good, that would be defending Bush's 2004 Presidential victory or supporting Michael Bay to make more reguirtitating miserable excuses of filmmaking. "
    You list of complaints about the game is pretty much exactly the same ones that people who don't like Halo have been using since Halo 3. People who will buy Halo do not care that it's the same, the like it because it's the same. 

Using your logic that must mean that breasts are bad because every man wants to play with breasts.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @Buck_Sexington said:
    " @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    " @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    Yes I'm a troll because I have an opposing opinion, sad excuse of criticism there pal. The visuals do look better than previous Halo titles, but they've been surpassed by superior looking games at the convention. Just because it's what the people want doesn't mean it's necessary or good, that would be defending Bush's 2004 Presidential victory or supporting Michael Bay to make more reguirtitating miserable excuses of filmmaking. "
    You list of complaints about the game is pretty much exactly the same ones that people who don't like Halo have been using since Halo 3. People who will buy Halo do not care that it's the same, the like it because it's the same.   Using your logic that must mean that breasts are bad because every man wants to play with breasts. "

No, but men's obsession with Women's breasts instead of their character is problem with the male community. That, and the macho and overly masculine portrayal of males within pop-culture. Considering 95% of the world's problems and crimes are caused by mostly men than women. Yes, I know, I gaved my own hamfisted views on society.

I could deal with Halo 3 being the same game, since it was the third installment. I can deal with recycling the same material as long as they refine it and improve on the formula, Halo 3 somewhat did and somewhat didn't do that as it watered down the single-player and story but improved the multi-player. After the third time, it becomes stale, take the old-school Mega Man franchise and the Madden series for example.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @ryanwho said:
    "I love how "it looks and plays like  ______ because its _______" is either an insult or somehow a compliment depending on the game its aimed at. Fuck Zelda for being Zelda, hey Halo is just being Halo and fuck you hater. Oh gamers. "

Ye, I'm a hater because I said I hate what I saw with Reach. you're just making excuses as usual. I'm not a hater by any means, I loved the first Halo and I do enjoy Halo 3's multi-player from time to time. However, the series has been becoming stagnating. Resident Evil 4 was a brilliant reinvention of a franchise that was becoming stale, it's a shame Bungie could do the same with Reach. 

I'm also not enthrilled by the new Zelda titled by the way. :P
    Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Immuniity

As already said, it looked very 'halo'.  Which isn't a bad thing at all, having played the beta it was pretty fun.

The problem with the E3 footage is it wasn't really anything new. Showed off a large level (meh), showed off weapons we've already seen, showed off an assassination kill and then the space combat. The only really new thing was the space combat and, really, thats just like the Ariel combat we already know in the series with a new hat on.

They would have been better off formally addressing everyone's fears which occured during the beta. I know they have the weekly update but not all people are going to go 'oh that halo reach beta was average, i better check weekly to see if they made the game better for release'.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By AndrewB

I think sequel-itis has hit the industry with full force. It make sense given the dangerous risk/rewards of making a game, but it isn't appealing to me in the slightest, and I'm saddened that the potential of video games as a whole is damaged because otherwise brilliant game designers are stuck in a rut making the same game over and over again. Whether that be by force or choice isn't always certain. Money is what everyone is ultimately after in the end.

Since I only seem to have harsh words for it, I will say that Bungie has at least taken the story in their past two games (I mean Reach and ODST) to a level I'm interested in.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

the first trailer that i saw of it was exciting but seeing it now i wasn't. it looked like halo. who knows they might change it around since there is like a year for halo reach to come out. or a few months i don't know the release for it. i'm hoping that it changes when it actually gets released.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Fosssil

The demo was a bit bland, but what else did you honestly expect? They're not going to show the most exciting moment of the game on-stage at E3, because that would lessen the significance of that mission/encounter/battle when the player reaches that point in the final game.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By StarFoxA
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @StarFoxA said:
    " It looked... like Halo.  Halo has always been too floaty for me, I don't really like the shooting mechanics, and the story is stunningly bland. The first game was the best of the five that have come out so far. Its cultural impact is undeniable, however. "
    Pretty much my feelings entirely, although I do pop in H3 for multi-player every once in a while. "
    Halo 3 is a lot of fun when you have friends to enjoy it with, and for that I respect Halo for what it's done particularly to online gaming. It just isn't for me.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By JJOR64

It looked like a Halo game and I bet it will be good.

Shadowkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Shadowkat

I thought the game actually looked suprisingly more detailed and sharper than Halo 3: ODST and the space combat stuff could be really cool, but overall it's still just more Halo, not that I'm opposed to that.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By zombie2011
    @Fosssil said:
    " The demo was a bit bland, but what else did you honestly expect? They're not going to show the most exciting moment of the game on-stage at E3, because that would lessen the significance of that mission/encounter/battle when the player reaches that point in the final game. "
    I think the only reason they picked that part of the game, which was kinda disappointing was as a lead up to the big reveal of space combat. What they should have done was a cut job like the Black Ops trailer, show some heavier on foot combat then cut to a separate scene showing briefly the space combat.
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I thought it looked pretty good.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kmdrkul

To be honest I've been underwhelmed with the game since the first gameplay was shown. 

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RavenX302
    @CynicalOptimist said:

" @ryanwho said:

Yeah I know, compared to FPS games that look actually fresh and unique? Bulletstorm  and Crysis 2 E3 gameplay footage were far more interesting than Halo Reach's. "
     I agree that Halo Reach looked very underwhelming to those of us who have grown tired of the Halo Universe, but how the hell was Crysis 2's gameplay footage any more interesting? I sincerely hope that trailer is not a true representation of what the game will be offering.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @RavenX302 said:
    " @CynicalOptimist said:

" @ryanwho said:

Yeah I know, compared to FPS games that look actually fresh and unique? Bulletstorm  and Crysis 2 E3 gameplay footage were far more interesting than Halo Reach's. "
     I agree that Halo Reach looked very underwhelming to those of us who have grown tired of the Halo Universe, but how the hell was Crysis 2's gameplay footage any more interesting? I sincerely hope that trailer is not a true representation of what the game will be offering. "

The set-pieces and battles looked spectacular compared to Reach, it even has stunning visuals for consoles.
    miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By miningguyx360

my problem with Halo is that there is NOTHING ON SCREEN. The one thing nearly every other modern shooter (GoW, MW2, WaW, BFBC 2) seems to have gotten right. "Great 16 players, WTF where are they?" I find myself saying that frequently in a Halo match. MW2 I'm all like, "WTF JUST HAPPENED? WAS THAT PREDATOR MISSILE THAT JUST SPLODED' IN MY FACE----CRAP SHOOT THOSE MOFOS IN THE FACE! AC-130!!!!!!!" Thats a normal 18 player match in Modern Warfare 2. Feels like war... except for the crazy knifing and numbers floating in the air when i kill a dude.

philuk19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By philuk19

I thought it looked great, big upgrade in visuals from Halo 3...and the sky boxes were so sweet. Gameplay has more variety with space sections too, which looked really good on gamespot live demo. They also said that they have plently more suprises coming too. Im not even a big halo fan...but it looks good no doubt.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The voice acting sounded weak. 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By FreakAche

The campaign isn't really the draw of Halo so really I don't care all that much about a campaign focused trailer, space combat or not.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Other than the frame rate being mad janky it looked like what I was expecting it to look like. Well, that and the colors seemed washed out, or there was like a teal tint over everything. ODST looked pretty good I thought so that was a little surprising.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RedneckedCrake

Well the book that the game is based off of, Fall of Reach, is pretty damn good. It didn't really impress me at E3 but I'm hoping it can at least relive some of the book for me in game form.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#50  Edited By Sooperspy
    @StarFoxA said:
    " It looked... like Halo. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.