Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Why no release for pc...GFWL forgotten?

• 55 results
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By empfeix

You would think if MS wants GFWL to succeed they would add a high profile release like this to its lineup.  It seems evident that they have given up on this and put all its efforts on sucking more xbla subs out of peeps.  Oh and look a increase in price just in time for Reach.   

Where is my next Age of Empires MS oh ya you fucked that up and are making it a farmville style multiplayer game...thanks.  Please MS just kill that fucktard of a service and just tell us straight up your only baby is xbla.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By manhattan_project

What game are you talking about?

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By empfeix

halo reach - sorry I added it originally to that thread - lol whatevs

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

No. Bungie didn't make a PC version of Halo: Reach. In fact i don't think they've ever made a PC version of a Halo game. Havn't they all been ports by other companies?

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By PerryVandell

I'm guessing Microsoft might have some kind of deal with Bungie to make Reach exclusive to the 360 so that pirates who would just torrent the game for the campaign.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Leptok

lol at gfwl being anything other than a joke.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PerryVandell
    @jadeskye said:
    " No. Bungie didn't make a PC version of Halo: Reach. In fact i don't think they've ever made a PC version of a Halo game. Havn't they all been ports by other companies? "
    I know that the CE was ported by Gearbox, but I'm unsure of who ported Halo 2.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " No. Bungie didn't make a PC version of Halo: Reach. In fact i don't think they've ever made a PC version of a Halo game. Havn't they all been ports by other companies? "
    I know that the CE was ported by Gearbox, but I'm unsure of who ported Halo 2. "
    ha really? it was gearbox? Awesome. 
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PerryVandell
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    I know that the CE was ported by Gearbox, but I'm unsure of who ported Halo 2. "
    ha really? it was gearbox? Awesome.  "
    Yeah, I'd say they did a pretty good job too, considering how bad some PC ports can end up *glances over at Dead Space*.
    Avatar image for ialwaysdidntdoit@
    ialwaysdidntdoit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ialwaysdidntdoit
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    Yes it was Gearbox. Microsoft Game Studios Ported 2
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TorMasturba

If I was asked which platform I wanted to play Halo: Reach on in fully working order, with achievements, multiplayer and all the other baubles, I would say PC. 
    Unfortunately MS is weird like that. 

I'm currently playing Halo 2 on PC, for fun and for achievements, so I know how you feel buddy. 

Ah well, I very much doubt they'll port anymore Halo games in the series. And if they do, I hope they make them good. Until then, I'm going to play Halo: Reach on the 360 because I want to play it now.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By huntad
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    According to the wikipedia page, it was ported by Hired Gun who disbanded about a year or less later.
    Avatar image for ssjdragonslayer
    ssjdragonslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ssjdragonslayer

xbla? Don't u mean xbox live, not xbox live arcade lol.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Enigma777

Isn't Fable 3 coming to PC? That's something, especially since F2 never did...

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By ch3burashka

They've stopped caring about GFWL; it's about time you did to, lest you get burned again.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaneDev

Its just exclusive so they hope you will buy a console for it kinda dumb but  Microsofts GFWL strategy is kinda backward anyway. A PC version would be pretty sweet all the same.

Also Bungie developed the PC version of Halo 1 which Gearbox helped them finish thats why they let people use the CD key from that while Halo 2 was done by Microsoft to launch GFWL and thats why Bungie doesn't care about it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By korwin

Because the brand is a large system seller for the Xbox 360 and as such they don't want to cut into potential hardware sales.  You will probably see dodgy ports of Halo 3, ODST and Reach in some mega bundle in a few years time after the Xbox 3 launches.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chrissedoff

i don't think microsoft really cares if gfwl succeeds anymore.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    Yeah, I'd say they did a pretty good job too, considering how bad some PC ports can end up *glances over at Dead Space*. "
    What?  Dead Space on PC is awesome!  It has one single, solitary bug to do with its ingame VSYNC option which causes the game to be slow on lesser machines.  It can be disabled in the options and then forced via your vga driver control panel  if you so desire.  Dead Space for Windows is a fantastic port in all other respects and the game looks incredible at high resolution with FSAA enabled.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PerryVandell
    @SeriouslyNow: You and I must be playing a different game, since I did turn off the v-sync, and all that did was make me unable to turn more than 10 degrees when aiming. If there is a fix for this, that would be much appreciated, because changing mouse sensitivity and the like hasn't done anything for me.
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By korwin
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    " @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @jadeskye said:
    Yeah, I'd say they did a pretty good job too, considering how bad some PC ports can end up *glances over at Dead Space*. "
    What?  Dead Space on PC is awesome!  It has one single, solitary bug to do with its ingame VSYNC option which causes the game to be slow on lesser machines.  It can be disabled in the options and then forced via your vga driver control panel  if you so desire.  Dead Space for Windows is a fantastic port in all other respects and the game looks incredible at high resolution with FSAA enabled. "
    I found the mouse look to be pretty asstastic in Dead Space PC, or was that fixed?  One day dev's are going to start bothering with options for smoothing and acceleration again instead of forcing them upon us.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Fullmetal216 said:

" @SeriouslyNow: You and I must be playing a different game, since I did turn off the v-sync, and all that did was make me unable to turn more than 10 degrees when aiming. If there is a fix for this, that would be much appreciated, because changing mouse sensitivity and the like hasn't done anything for me. "

Once again I say what

@Korwin:
    Please define 'asstastic'.  The game played fine for me.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#23  Edited By SubwayD

Microsoft has a knack for going off half-cocked when it comes to Xbox franchises on PC. Just look at Gears of War, Fable and Halo. 
    Would it be nice if they brought all that stuff over? Very yes, but you know they won't. Oh well. :(

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By korwin
    @SeriouslyNow:  Undefeatable mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration.  It's really bad in the menu's but it's really annoying in game if you trying to turn quickly and your movement doesnt stop when you do, instead you get this delayed run off feeling and an over all floaty aiming sensation.  Mouse aiming should be responsive, direct and clean.  The Quake 3 engine is still a prime example of mouse aiming done right, Unreal Engine 3 ain't to bad if the developer lets you turn all that junk off to.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Korwin:   The game is floaty in all renditions.  That's the engine and developer's fault, not the PC port's.  It just becomes more readily apparent when using mouse because you expect sudden responsiveness wrt to starting and stopping of turns, which the game's obvious movement smoothing doesn't deliver.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @jadeskye@Korwin
    Yeah I thought Dead Space PC version was very well done. Had no problems with it at all. Good graphics. Good controls imho.
    It is nowhere near the ports that are truly BAD: Saints Row 2, GTA4, SW: Force Unleashed etc ...
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Binman88
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: You and I must be playing a different game, since I did turn off the v-sync, and all that did was make me unable to turn more than 10 degrees when aiming. If there is a fix for this, that would be much appreciated, because changing mouse sensitivity and the like hasn't done anything for me. "
    Vsync was the simple fix for me too.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fjordson

Why would anyone expect a Halo PC release anytime close to its console release?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Leptok said:
    " lol at gfwl being anything other than a joke. "
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Fjordson said:
    " Why would anyone expect a Halo PC release anytime close to its console release? "
    Well aside from Combat Evolved, which was originally planned as a PC title (nee Mac title), I wouldn't.  I bet we'll see 3, ODST and Reach getting to PC eventually, most probably in an expensive boxset.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Fjordson said:
    " Why would anyone expect a Halo PC release anytime close to its console release? "
    Microsoft was shouting recently how they want to make GFWL big and relevant and support it with releases etc  :)
    It was cute.
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By OldManLight

Halo 3 and ODST were never on gfwl either. I think its because in general, pc players turn their nose up at console ports to pc. Halo ce was the exception because it was the only version that featured online play. Halo 2 and gears of war pc ports have been flops so I can't say I blame them for not bothering. Plus, they want people to buy xboxes to play this.

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By R3Qui4M

It is not a deal with Bungie. Bungie can't choose what happens to Halo. Microsoft wants people do buy xbox 360 FOR reach.So there wont be a PC version for a while if that. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho
    @Fjordson said:
    I think people are presuming they should know about a PC release date by now, forgetting the other ports normally came like a year after the console release.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Oh god, now I wan't to see if there is going to be a PC version before I buy an Xbox. >__<

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Marz

You are thinking a little far too ahead,  they still need to port Halo 3 over to PC first.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37  Edited By Geno

It's because Microsoft, ironically, hates PC gamers.  

I'd really like to see the whole Halo collection on PC at some point, even more preferably, on Steam. Unfortunately that seems like a pipe dream at this point. 

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Praab_NZ

GFWL needs to die in a fire, It is an entirely redundant and annoying app that has no place alongside Steam.
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By OldManLight

@praab_nz. I agree. Given the choice id prefer steam. It's less intrusive. Ever buy a gfwl off of steam? Its ridiculous having to manually type a cd key for a digital download when starting them for the first time.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nekroskop

Microsoft Logic 101: 
    -Launch a hyped game on 360 
    -If it does well and it doesn't cost too much to port it to PC: Hire an unknown party to port it 
    -Reap the benefits 

Every single time

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By august

Microsoft wants you to buy an XBox.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GaspoweR

GFWL also requires a Gold subscription to play online....Fuck, i thought they said before that they actually ended that policy for GFWL and it's all free. I tried getting into a DOW2 multiplayer match and LO and BEHOLD, a pop up message saying that I need a gold subcription to play multiplayer.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43  Edited By sins_of_mosin

So I assume the topic creator don't have a 360?
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#44  Edited By Lazyaza
    @ahaisthisourchance said:
    " Microsoft Logic 101: -Launch a hyped game on 360 -If it does well and it doesn't cost too much to port it to PC: Hire an unknown party to port it -Reap the benefits  Every single time "
    Pretty much this, except you forgot the part where the studio that ports it totally fucks it up and ultimately makes the whole process pointless. lol  Not that their haven't been some good ports of GFWL supported games, I quite liked Arkham Asylum and Bioshock 2 on PC. 

But eh expecting made-for-console games to get ported well, if at all is unfortunately almost always a road to disappointment these days.  I'm so glad I own a decent PC, ps3 and 360, I dont miss out on anything now, except the occasional decent Wii title. Luckily those are super rare. :P
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By warxsnake

Fable 1 came out to PC 
    Then Fable 2 didn't because they were butthurt 
    Now Fable 3 is coming to PC 

Fuck MSoft and GFWL no one needs them, Steam is perfectly good @ providing games, sucks about halo though, thats another series that doesnt know whether or not it should be on PC. And to think the first Halo was supposed to lead on PC before the xbox ever existed wee.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46  Edited By Geno
    @GaspoweR said:
    " GFWL also requires a Gold subscription to play online....Fuck, i thought they said before that they actually ended that policy for GFWL and it's all free. I tried getting into a DOW2 multiplayer match and LO and BEHOLD, a pop up message saying that I need a gold subcription to play multiplayer. "
    Really? I play DoW2 on Steam for free. Why would they require a gold membership on the PC :? 
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By MachoFantastico

As some folks have said, don't think Bungie have ever made a PC Halo game. Microsoft worked on Halo: CE and Halo 2, considering we haven't seen Halo 3 on PC the chances of Reach hitting the personal computer is slim. But I think it will one day, expect to hear something of Halo 3 on PC next year.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Jeust

It's Xbox 360 flagship title. It could never appear in the PC at launch, unless there would be a reason that doesn't exist. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Geno said:
    " @GaspoweR said:
    " GFWL also requires a Gold subscription to play online....Fuck, i thought they said before that they actually ended that policy for GFWL and it's all free. I tried getting into a DOW2 multiplayer match and LO and BEHOLD, a pop up message saying that I need a gold subcription to play multiplayer. "
    Really? I play DoW2 on Steam for free. Why would they require a gold membership on the PC :?  "
    Same.  There is no Gold Membership for GFWL as far as I recall.
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GaspoweR
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @GaspoweR said:
    Really? I play DoW2 on Steam for free. Why would they require a gold membership on the PC :?  "
    Same.  There is no Gold Membership for GFWL as far as I recall. "
    Well, it was free to me too several months ago. Tried playing two weeks ago (it was Chaos Rising by the way) and I got that message...well, it was also after my XBL gold subscription expred as well...it was pretty weird. I'm gonna try again after doing my papers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.