Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Health

Concept »

Health is a value that gauges how much damage players can take in a game before they die or pass out. Also known as life in some games. Health is usually represented by a bar or a percentage instead of an exact amount. Found in most non sport games

A discussion on the proper display of health in video games

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

For the health of it 

No Caption Provided
    Health. Shields. General well-being. Size. Sanity. There's a lot of ways a game can tell you how well you're doing, and even more ways it can display it. Sometimes it's a health bar, sometimes it's a number of HP (Hit Points), and sometimes it's how your character looks. I think it's time we sat down and talked about what really works, and what doesn't in a game. Now of course, there is no real "Golden Rule." Some games can do things that others can't, but it should be safe to say that there are some good base rules that can be laid down. Regardless of what you call it (rings, health bars, hit points), we will refer to this general concept as "health" for the sake of this article.

Display your dismay 

If there's one thing that's more aggravating than losing health, it's not knowing why. Setting up a central hud element that points to the direction of your damage, especially in a first person shooter, is key. Imagine how frustrating Left 4 Dead would be if it didn't tell you there was a zombie right behind you. Most games have figured this out, and it's pretty common, but every now and again someone drops the ball. The originalMass Effect comes to mind, where the flashes of red were barely visible, very broad, and quick to disappear. 

It's not just about clearly showing the direction, though. A player should be able to tell where the projectiles are coming from, if they're in a position to know. Borderlands does a wonderful job of trailing each bullet with a long, white streak that is easily visible and points your enemies out clearly. This allows you to take cover in the proper direction, while helping you to locate your enemy which makes for better gun-play. Unless you're dealing with purposefully hidden snipers, a visual cue like trailing bullets or distant muzzle flash is key to a less frustrating experience. 

Health Utility Display 

What's the proper way to display health on the user interface? The classic is a health bar. Ideally, it should always be displayed somewhere on the screen in a place that's easy to find and not in the way. Typically a corner is the ideal location, although games like Metroid Prime have managed to move it to a more central location, without getting in the way. 

However, some games have proven a little more esoteric about displaying health. The earlier Resident Evil and Silent Hill titles, for instance, require a player to pause a game, and then read the color of a snapshot of their current situation to figure out "about" how hurt they are. Having to pause the game to understand the situation is a bad idea, because your player is required to leave the moment and break their immersion. 

The knowledge of a character's health should always be immediately available to the player. Not juts full health, or low health, but any health. Some games prefer to hide your health unless you're under immediate stress or even until you actually start taking damage. Theoretically, this is to minimize HUD elements, keeping a player more immersed, but it ends up being more frustrating and leading to a weaker design. A developer's best bet would be to follow in the examples of Dead Space and Borderlands: Integration through narrative. This may not work as well for more realistic games, but anyone willing to make a small stretch of the imagination can find plenty of HUD-less solutions. In a much less realistic, but incredibly useful move, the original Mario Bros. let you know whether or not you were allowed to take a hit by showing Mario as being twice as big, which also served as a unique game mechanic in physically traversing the two-dimensional world.

"Tolerable" does not equate to "Good"     

"Hero, your health is low" 

Now that we've discussed the where and how a health bar should be displayed, let's talk about the tricky solution on what to do when that bar starts to sink as the danger sets in. The new super-popular trend is to have red start creeping in from the sides to alert you that you're in trouble, and I would like to dicuss why this is the worst idae to have found it's way into video games since the tailing mission. At best, the encroaching red display is mostly distant and relatively calm. At it's worst, this style of danger- warning covers almost everything on the screen and deafens the sound (save for a slow-pounding heartbeat for some reason). Thanks to this new visual and audio barrier it will be harder to find cover, harder to locate your enemies, and more difficult to defend yourself outside of firing blindly ahead. The end result? Frustration in the player. If the developer's intent is to aggrivate the player as a punishment for getting hit with a bullet, I suppose it's "Mission Accomplished," but if you're trying to display health issues during a fire fight, might I recommend something less game-ruining? Turning the entire world black and white is a popular variation to this mechanic. While not as damaging, it can still be a great hinderance to the player who is already struggling to survive.

For the record, nobody violates this worst than Modern Warfare 2, who finds it necessary to splatter your screen with rasberry preserves every time you take a bullet to the shin. How it gets there, and why, I have no idea, but enjoy the blindness, I guess. 

The alternative to this is an audio cue, which in the older days wasn't well implemented, either. I think everyone can relate to tearing the garden apart in Zelda to find one more heart that will end the insufferable beeping sound. While a completely different than your standard health mechanic, Yoshi's Island had a similar irritating quality: whenever you were hit by anything, Baby Mario would become suddeny enveloped in a bubble and would drift around screaming at the top of his lungs for you to rescue him before a timer hit 0 and you officially lost.

However, in this day and age, since regenerating health and shields are all the rage, a beeping or buzzing would serve a much better purpose. It needs to go away as soon as you're out of trouble (or at least behind cover). It's just as immediate, if not more so, without being as intrusive as the encroaching redness. Kirby games tend to do something similar, giving you a loud beep as soon as you enter low-health teritory, but leaving it to the player to remember that they were low afterwards.

No Caption Provided

How's your health? 

Overall, I think the games that have tackled this matter best are Borderlands, Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, and Super Mario Bros. They're clear, concise, sometimes part of the actual fiction, and very intuitive. 

On the side of needing improvement, we have Mass Effect 2 (What's the point of a regenerating health bar and shields? Just have one long bar that regenerates. Also, displaying your health and the health of your teammates needs to be consistent and more clear), Modern Warfare 2 (getting shot in the knee does not splatter jelly all over my eyes, and it's unclear how much more damage I can take before death), andPokemon (Sure it's clear, but in a game that isn't even action based, a constant beeping is ridiculous and irritating, especially when a healing item takes you out of the red). 

So what do you think? Any other pros or cons to health readings you think should be mentioned? Maybe something you think I'm incorrect about? Perhaps you can explain to me the fascination with regenerating shields/health, which I personally believe most games implement in a more harmful manner that constantly stops the action. Also feel free to list games you think have performed well or poorly below. 

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @docrandle.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

For the health of it 

No Caption Provided
    Health. Shields. General well-being. Size. Sanity. There's a lot of ways a game can tell you how well you're doing, and even more ways it can display it. Sometimes it's a health bar, sometimes it's a number of HP (Hit Points), and sometimes it's how your character looks. I think it's time we sat down and talked about what really works, and what doesn't in a game. Now of course, there is no real "Golden Rule." Some games can do things that others can't, but it should be safe to say that there are some good base rules that can be laid down. Regardless of what you call it (rings, health bars, hit points), we will refer to this general concept as "health" for the sake of this article.

Display your dismay 

If there's one thing that's more aggravating than losing health, it's not knowing why. Setting up a central hud element that points to the direction of your damage, especially in a first person shooter, is key. Imagine how frustrating Left 4 Dead would be if it didn't tell you there was a zombie right behind you. Most games have figured this out, and it's pretty common, but every now and again someone drops the ball. The originalMass Effect comes to mind, where the flashes of red were barely visible, very broad, and quick to disappear. 

It's not just about clearly showing the direction, though. A player should be able to tell where the projectiles are coming from, if they're in a position to know. Borderlands does a wonderful job of trailing each bullet with a long, white streak that is easily visible and points your enemies out clearly. This allows you to take cover in the proper direction, while helping you to locate your enemy which makes for better gun-play. Unless you're dealing with purposefully hidden snipers, a visual cue like trailing bullets or distant muzzle flash is key to a less frustrating experience. 

Health Utility Display 

What's the proper way to display health on the user interface? The classic is a health bar. Ideally, it should always be displayed somewhere on the screen in a place that's easy to find and not in the way. Typically a corner is the ideal location, although games like Metroid Prime have managed to move it to a more central location, without getting in the way. 

However, some games have proven a little more esoteric about displaying health. The earlier Resident Evil and Silent Hill titles, for instance, require a player to pause a game, and then read the color of a snapshot of their current situation to figure out "about" how hurt they are. Having to pause the game to understand the situation is a bad idea, because your player is required to leave the moment and break their immersion. 

The knowledge of a character's health should always be immediately available to the player. Not juts full health, or low health, but any health. Some games prefer to hide your health unless you're under immediate stress or even until you actually start taking damage. Theoretically, this is to minimize HUD elements, keeping a player more immersed, but it ends up being more frustrating and leading to a weaker design. A developer's best bet would be to follow in the examples of Dead Space and Borderlands: Integration through narrative. This may not work as well for more realistic games, but anyone willing to make a small stretch of the imagination can find plenty of HUD-less solutions. In a much less realistic, but incredibly useful move, the original Mario Bros. let you know whether or not you were allowed to take a hit by showing Mario as being twice as big, which also served as a unique game mechanic in physically traversing the two-dimensional world.

"Tolerable" does not equate to "Good"     

"Hero, your health is low" 

Now that we've discussed the where and how a health bar should be displayed, let's talk about the tricky solution on what to do when that bar starts to sink as the danger sets in. The new super-popular trend is to have red start creeping in from the sides to alert you that you're in trouble, and I would like to dicuss why this is the worst idae to have found it's way into video games since the tailing mission. At best, the encroaching red display is mostly distant and relatively calm. At it's worst, this style of danger- warning covers almost everything on the screen and deafens the sound (save for a slow-pounding heartbeat for some reason). Thanks to this new visual and audio barrier it will be harder to find cover, harder to locate your enemies, and more difficult to defend yourself outside of firing blindly ahead. The end result? Frustration in the player. If the developer's intent is to aggrivate the player as a punishment for getting hit with a bullet, I suppose it's "Mission Accomplished," but if you're trying to display health issues during a fire fight, might I recommend something less game-ruining? Turning the entire world black and white is a popular variation to this mechanic. While not as damaging, it can still be a great hinderance to the player who is already struggling to survive.

For the record, nobody violates this worst than Modern Warfare 2, who finds it necessary to splatter your screen with rasberry preserves every time you take a bullet to the shin. How it gets there, and why, I have no idea, but enjoy the blindness, I guess. 

The alternative to this is an audio cue, which in the older days wasn't well implemented, either. I think everyone can relate to tearing the garden apart in Zelda to find one more heart that will end the insufferable beeping sound. While a completely different than your standard health mechanic, Yoshi's Island had a similar irritating quality: whenever you were hit by anything, Baby Mario would become suddeny enveloped in a bubble and would drift around screaming at the top of his lungs for you to rescue him before a timer hit 0 and you officially lost.

However, in this day and age, since regenerating health and shields are all the rage, a beeping or buzzing would serve a much better purpose. It needs to go away as soon as you're out of trouble (or at least behind cover). It's just as immediate, if not more so, without being as intrusive as the encroaching redness. Kirby games tend to do something similar, giving you a loud beep as soon as you enter low-health teritory, but leaving it to the player to remember that they were low afterwards.

No Caption Provided

How's your health? 

Overall, I think the games that have tackled this matter best are Borderlands, Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, and Super Mario Bros. They're clear, concise, sometimes part of the actual fiction, and very intuitive. 

On the side of needing improvement, we have Mass Effect 2 (What's the point of a regenerating health bar and shields? Just have one long bar that regenerates. Also, displaying your health and the health of your teammates needs to be consistent and more clear), Modern Warfare 2 (getting shot in the knee does not splatter jelly all over my eyes, and it's unclear how much more damage I can take before death), andPokemon (Sure it's clear, but in a game that isn't even action based, a constant beeping is ridiculous and irritating, especially when a healing item takes you out of the red). 

So what do you think? Any other pros or cons to health readings you think should be mentioned? Maybe something you think I'm incorrect about? Perhaps you can explain to me the fascination with regenerating shields/health, which I personally believe most games implement in a more harmful manner that constantly stops the action. Also feel free to list games you think have performed well or poorly below. 

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @docrandle.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PerryVandell

I thought that the breakthrough game in this department was Dead Space as it was a part of the character's suit, but not just HIS suit, it was everyone's suit, which made it not only feel like a great part of the game, but a great part of the world that they were in. As for Modern Warfare 2, I don't really mind the whole jelly on the screen thing. Sure it isn't the greatest way of telling that you are injured, but it gives me a sense of urgency to get the hell out of whatever situation that I'm in. The game that I'm currently really pissed off about health-wise is Bioshock 2. The does the whole red screen thing, but then also has a message that YOU ARE HURT (which I suppose I need to turn off). But that's not the worst part. The worst part is the fact that I need to press right on the d-pad, which is really awkward since I use that thumb to move the character. OR I have to select the plasma/weapon wheel and press B which takes me out of the action. Anyway that's my two cents. 

Good article!

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NoDeath

Super interesting read.

I have to disagree about encroaching red being a distraction. Objectively I can see your points but in the tons of games that have used it I've played I can't really remember getting frustrated because of of it blocking aspects of the gameplay. I do agree that the multiple bars in ME2 are unnecessary and there's a few other things in the interface that aren't explained well.

Why regenerating health is popular is fairly obvious. It localises any damage you take to a single battle. The player never has the frustration of going into a battle with only half their health. This problem can be solved with smart health pack placement but the regen saves a lot of work for both the developer (doesn't need to figure out where to put them) and the player (doesn't need to go find them).

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Nice post. Generally, I prefer anything that gives a numerical display, as it's usually more accurate than a bar. Obviously RPGs do this with HP, but also Metroid games, many FPSs, and to a certain extent, games that have 'Hearts' or 'Bars' which display a solid quantity of health rather than an ambiguous bar. It's easier to determine 'That attack took off three bars!' than 'That attack took off 1/3 of my health!'

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrRandle
    @NoDeath: I was certainly trying to be as objective as I could in most parts of this, saving my personal feelings for the bottom of the article. And I admit, for the most part, the encroaching red really isn't the worst thing that could happen, as long as it's not done poorly. Playing Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles today reminded me of doing a poor job. Not even halfway down in health and the red starts fluttering in from the side, making a low heart-beat noise that serves more to irritate than to illustrate. And again, only half-hurt? That's a little too early. Just seems unnecessary when the life bar is much more clearly displayed. 

Great comments, guys, I really appreciate it.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By pause422

I pretty much agree. Tolerable at this point since its just how it is with the majority of games, but a ton of red surrounding your screen and making you barely able to see in some cases to tell you you're at low health, by making it that much more likely and easy for you to die at that point, I'll never like and I wish it would go away.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By danielkempster

A brilliant read. It's this kind of thing that I think Giant Bomb needs more of - interesting game-related discussion promoted by well-written blogs from the community. You, good sir, have earned yourself another follower.

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By ApolloJ85

Interesting read. It's got me thinking a little off topic.

The key problem with video game health is that you will never feel the pain that your character feels. How do you translate the pain of a bullet puncturing flesh to the gamer sitting in his/her chair? Most games rely on a quantifiable display of health that doesn't really mean much. A gamer will strategise to only lose a certain amount of health in any particular situation, because the loss of health doesn't actually mean anything beyond numbers. The red flash on screen, blurred vision - they are attempts to translate health to something more than just a number, but ultimately it is still unsatisfactory. The gamer will still think - i can take this many hits before my performance is affected, then i have to find cover.

To date, the only time that I have tried to avoid taking damage was in Far Cry 2. I really did not want to see my character pull bullets out of his arm with a pair pliers, so I became more cautious in my game play. However the the old quantifiable damage system was still a factor, even if the quality of the damage was different.

The depiction of pain ultimately affects the display of health, because quantity is the only way (so far) to translate character pain to the gamer. Games like Dead Space have displayed health bars in inventive ways, but they are still constrained by the overall idea of health in a videogame.

To change the way health is displayed will likely require a revolution in thinking about how pain is presented to the player - without physically hurting them. A difficult task.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrRandle
    @ApolloJ85: A very interesting perspective. Me and my boyfriend have been playing a large amount of Trauma Center games recently, and I wonder your thought on how that plays into the perspective. You, yourself, are never injured, as you are monitoring the health of another at all times. You can't really predict what's going to remove how much damage; all your really know is that it's going to go down the more you mess up and the longer open wounds remain. In that sense, you are not worried for YOUR character's well being, but quite literally that of your patients. Thoughts?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By xyzygy

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the shield/barrier and health in Mass Effect 2. The reason it's there is because some armor and skills give specific increases to either your health, shields or both. For instance, an Infiltrator could have a really large shield yet very low health which will help a lot, and if his shield recharge rate is upped then he can get back in the action faster. Another thing about it is the strengths and weaknesses of each type of shield - Shields are weak against powerful one shot weapons like a Sniper Rifle, and barriers are weak against faster weapons like an SMG. Also, biotics do much less damage to shields. 

Also, when you factor in skills like Fortiication and Geth Shield Boost, they only affect the shields of barrier of the user for varying amount of time and varying percentages.   

But overall an interesting read!

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

Good post.  You know what I want?  A big fat number.  That's what I'm used to from first person shooters.  I need to know exactly how much health I have, is it 5, is it 10?  Can I take the falling damage?  Will one shot kill me or can I risk it?  I don't like the health bars or the jelly on the screen, but I can still get along alright with them, but I see no reason why they couldn't have just given me a simple number.

valleyshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By valleyshrew

Interesting read, I still prefer having non-regenerative health so games like half-life and metal gear solid are the best to me for this, In call of duty you just camp behind a rock when you're hurt and it becomes a bit easy and boring on hard mode and they only make it hard by nade spamming you. I think one that really brilliantly merges the health packs and regeneration standards is Resistance: Fall of man. You have 4 health bar segments, and can only regenerate your health to one of them. This means you always have a minimum 25% to go into battle with, and that you could complete the game with that, but also leaves in the good gameplay aspect of picking up health packs and not camping behind a rock constantly. I really despise uncharted's health system which turns the world black and white. It's such a beautiful game and to take out the colours is quite annoying. I also hate the turn screen red games method.

There are so many things like this where games could easily program in option for the player, to have a small health bar instead of screen changing. I suppose they want your screen to be distorted when on low health to make you panic. FFXIII has sadly "modernised" in this respect with the screen an annoying glowing red when on low health, and you health regenerating completely between battles. It's to appeal to casual gamers I feel.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

Well i'm definitly part of the group of gamers who miss picking up health packs and armour shards like you used to in games. Back then i didn't even know what cover was, i just kept running round firing rockets and nailgun shots in all directions, having a blast and not even giving a shit about taking damage. Sure, you ended up dying pretty often but at least you never had to spend five seconds sitting behind a convinietly placed wall waiting for your health to go back up. I don't mind the screen getting a little red but lately Modern Warfare 2 and ODST took it way to far. And it's not like the screen going red is a more realistic interpretation of taking health compared to health packs anyway, both are completely ridiculous. In the real world if you get shot once, that's pretty much it. 

I just hope that Id's Rage game sticks with the health packs formula of doing things. If it gets to the point where the guys who made Doom start doing things differently then i know for sure that the idea of picking up health packs is on its last legs.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrRandle
    @xyzygy: My thoughts on Mass Effect 2's methods of display than anything. I get how it works, but I don't understand why they chose to  set it that way. I get the difference between shields and armor and all that, and it's nifty, but what was wrong with the system in the first Mass Effect? Similar to Borderlands, it was about regenerating shields and permanent health that you had to use Medigel to fix.Adding a lair of other types around that display wouldn't have been a bad thing, and it would have helped in other ways. Right now when I use Geth Shield on my character, I have no visual idea what just happened because that bar has the same shape and size as every other bar. Did I get a boost to my shields? How would I know, what is there to tell me that? Because they're falling more slowly? It all seems very ineffective to me.
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By ApolloJ85
    @DrRandle: I've never played trauma centre, so I can't offer much opinion on that game. But....From what you describe, it seems the sense of urgency would depend on your emotional attachment to the patient (or victim). This would remove the notion that you are playing a game from your head, hopefully adding real trauma as well. 

That kind of game would be cool if it displayed health in terms of cues that reflected real medical situations, such as "Red blood cells dropping", "Going into respiratory failure", or the dreaded "No signs of life, initiate CPR?" No numbers or health bars required, just a medical situation that has to be dealt with in a strict time frame.

Such a system would only work for operation games though. Other games would need some other form of localised trauma indicator, with a time frame to deal with the problem. Maybe something along the lines of: Got shot in leg, movement severely impaired, character yells "my leg", and you then have a limited bleed out time to whack a bandage on. Your movement would then be limited until you got to a proper first aid station. Head trauma would lead to vision blurring, arm trauma would lead to reduced weapon abilities, and so on.
    Such a system would be hugely annoying unless it were implemented properly, however the reward for depicting player health in a more visceral fashion could be great. Unfortunately a numerical value is ultimately easier to implement, and far less likely to irritate gamers.

I guess realistic health just isn't as fun as gaming health.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By super_machine

Dark Void has one of the worst health indicators in a modern game. You could be one hit away from death and fail to realize it because there is not enough of a visual queue. Its like the opposite of Mordern Warfare: Operation Red Jelly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.