Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Naxxramas Discussion

• 178 results
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@hansolol: I agree. This heroic wing has been the least fun of the bunch by far. I ended up using a deck off HearthPwn which was pretty dependent on getting the perfect cards in my opening hand.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By BisonHero

@hansolol said:

Gotta say, Grobbulus is the first boss to tread into "plain not fun" territory with its difficulty. Looked up a bunch of guides and none of them helped. Ended up top decking a Deathwing for a random win that felt undeserved. Pretty lame. I wasn't even satisfied when I won, I was just frustrated.

No doubt, Grobbulus' ability on Heroic is just completely stupid. I don't feel like you could really build a deck that could consistently beat him, just one that could cheese the fuck out of him if you get an absolutely perfect draw. Granted, the AI is dumb enough that it basically WILL NOT attack your creatures ever unless they have taunt (or maybe if you have enough creatures on the board to do lethal damage to Grobbulus next turn). So here's what I pulled off on roughly my third try of this dumb deck:

No Caption Provided

I only won through the dumb luck of using Mind Vision to pull a Mutating Injection. He sailed right past my 1/6 Gargoyle (courtesy of Power Word: Shield). The next turn I was at 4 life, and I was able to Mutating Injection + Divine Spirit it for 5/20 Gargoyle, and then I had to use the rest of my mana that turn on using a Mass Dispel to silence his Abomination (otherwise I would attack into the Abomination, my priest goes down to 2, then Grobbulus' auto-ability would kill me). The Inner Fire sped things up, but a 5/20 with Taunt is enough to kill most of the minions that his deck will ever attack with. I only won because I drew a very specific sequence of buffs, at the very last moment.

I'll admit, attacking a few times with a 20/20 Stoneskin Gargoyle was pretty fun. Nonetheless, yeah, Grobbulus' ability is bullshit.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@hansolol: Gurubashi Berserker + Priest makes Grobbulus doable; Gluth and Thaddius are definitely in the "concede if you don't have the right hand" category.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Fredchuckdave

For whatever reason bots don't know how to play around Duplicate, so my seemingly terrible opening hand of Ethereal Arcanist + Duplicate + Arcane Intellect wound up with this amusing situation:

No Caption Provided

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#155  Edited By hansolol

@fredchuckdave: Yeah, I had tried that and it didn't work. I noticed that he doesn't really have any late game cards except for that +4/+4 buff card. So, out of annoyance I put in all my late game legendaries and made a ridiculous late game ramp druid deck and then conceded if I didn't get a Wild Growth in my opening hand. He somehow killed pretty much everything I had(even face-tanked a couple big minions with Heroic Strike) eventually and he built up a full board until I got a Deathwing and managed to win from there. I didn't really expect to win with this deck, as you can see it's kind of a joke, but it worked somehow.

No Caption Provided

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I still can't get past Gothik the Harvester, dreading Grobbulus.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vessel28: Gothik is probably the toughest "fair" boss, I mean its still kind of nonsense and you virtually have to win via fatigue; but it isn't straight up bullshit like Jaws or the opponent consecrating you every turn with benefits.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I understand the method, I just can't seem to do it for some reason. I think I'm just going to have to resort to copying a deck from hearthpwn.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm now rank 6 after starting from rank 18 yesterday with my mage deck.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally can make a decent deck now, a Hunter deck. Thanks partially to Nax, but mainly because of a Golden Deathwing I got that I shortly flipped into finally having Leeroy. Don't worry, I still can't make a decent Rogue deck even with that card. Though I guess I've always been able to make decent Zoo Warlock decks, but who cares about that. I had one fun Deathwing game as a druid that ended up with Deathwing and Thadius and a quick concede, that's probably the peak of what that card could ever do for me.

I find my will to play the Nax wings has been less so with each release. I went from oh yeah! to... well, I do want those cards, so I'll play it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freakin9 said:

I find my will to play the Nax wings has been less so with each release. I went from oh yeah! to... well, I do want those cards, so I'll play it.

Yeah, I'm kinda the same. I'll play the wings, but my patience for the Heroic versions is getting kinda thin. Still haven't bothered to finish the Heroic versions of Military Quarter and Construct Quarter. A couple of them are just so unfair to the player that you basically have to keep restarting until you get an ideal opening hand, and that's just tedious. Granted, I've been a little busier the past couple of weeks also. I'll get to it eventually, but it's a lot of work just for a dumb card back or whatever.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only tried the first heroic boss of the new wing a couple times, haven't touched the other ones yet.

I'm sure I'll beat them eventually, I just tend to get bored of things rather easily. If getting new cards didn't change the game a lot I probably would have been done with hearthstone ages ago.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Soon our near month long nightmare of weekly meta shifts will be over. The final wing of the Curse of Naxxrams is upon us

Release Times

Americas: Tuesday, August 19th at 11:59 PM PDT

Europe: Tuesday, August 19th at 11:59 PM CEST

Korea/Taiwan: Wednesday , August 20th at 12:59 AM KST / Tuesday, August 19th 11:59 PM CST

China: Tuesday, August 19th at 11:59 PM CST

Rewards

• 2: Echoing Ooze (1/2) Battlecry: Summon an exact copy of this minion at the end of the turn.

• 3: Shade of Naxxramas (2/2) Stealth. At the start of your turn, gain +1/+1.

• 8: Kel'Thuzad (6/8) At the end of each turn, summon all friendly minions that died this turn.

• (Paladin) 1: Avenge Secret: When one of your minions dies, give a random friendly minion +3/+2.

I'm goin to try real hard and make Kel'Thuzad into a thing (or copy the dude who dose) I just want clarification on what "end of each turn" means. Dose that mean it procs twice once at the end of my turn and again on the opponents?

Echoing Ooze seems like it could work well in Token Druid and turn 3 dream for assassins with cold blood.

Shade of Naxxramas is a card I thought was great at first but I can't really see it fitting anywhere really.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@mrmazz: Shade is a good card, plain and simple. Very strong in any minion based deck. You basically take a vanilla 3/3 which is by default pretty good because 3's suck and it grows and has stealth. Ooze is obviously mandatory in every single Paladin Deck known to man, but good in lots of stuff, even classes without buffs. Kel'Thuzad is great in Arena, maybe alright in Zoo; that's about all I can think of but who knows.

Heroic Sapphiron appears to be just straight RNG depending on what he draws and you draw and in what sequence; might be a little easier with healing paladin than it is with mage (did it with mage without pyros, won via fatigue).

Heroic KT is actually pretty easy as these bosses go, maybe like the 6th or 7th hardest boss overall (in 60 Naxx he was 3rd or 4th depending on who you ask, in 80 Naxx he was the only vaguely challenging boss with like 15 people in your raid). But hey he does have tons of emotes and you can probably beat him with any class so that's cool.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kel T is goddamned ridiculous.

Used it in a ranked match as a token druid. Dropped KT, ran my 5-5 into their 6-5. Their 6-5 is dead, my 5-5 is back alive. I'm thinking, cool. Their turn, they kill my 5-5 again... and then my turn comes and my 5-5 reappears again. I'm thinking, holy fuck, I'm sure he's thinking holy fuck again. He even traded into everything except KT again the next turn I guess because he couldn't believe it the first time.

Sick... sick card.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Tennmuerti

So I've beaten all the Heroic bosses (not without some struggle) with my extremely limited selection of cards (i got like 1 legendary and still get only 1 card to DE per pack :P) and yea KT heroic was kinda easy. But heroic Sapphiron is just like WTF, i just don't see how he is beatable without some very good cards that can equalize things in your favor, Alextraza alone would make him much more manageable or some molten giants with charge, or even if my mage had all his control spells. Kind of a bummer, i was able to wing all the other bosses without looking up any strats, but this seems like a straight up: nope you need more/better cards situation unless i am missing something huge in that fight.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By hansolol

Holy shit. Avenge and Zombie Chow are the lords of the arena. Getting a 2/3 out on turn 1 in arena is ridiculous.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've beaten all the Heroic bosses (not without some struggle) with my extremely limited selection of cards (i got like 1 legendary and still get only 1 card to DE per pack :P) and yea KT heroic was kinda easy. But heroic Sapphiron is just like WTF, i just don't see how he is beatable without some very good cards that can equalize things in your favor, Alextraza alone would make him much more manageable or some molten giants with charge, or even if my mage had all his control spells. Kind of a bummer, i was able to wing all the other bosses without looking up any strats, but this seems like a straight up: nope you need more/better cards situation unless i am missing something huge in that fight.

I didn't have Alex, but I did have Pyroblast, I found I needed just about every freeze you can against him. The only minions I used was mad scientist and a charger, you could probably get by with the 3-1, plus duplicate. And of course, one ice block. But yeah, it might be impossible without those cards.

Though it's possible you can do it with another class, I have no idea since mage seemed like the most obvious choice.

Beat all the heroic bosses myself today, nothing was tooo hard, just some took a little while to come to grips with how exactly to do it. A lot of the bosses are more about the perfect card draw, than anything else.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kel'Thuzad is really good in any control deck it seems.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By freakin9

@fredchuckdave said:

Kel'Thuzad is really good in any control deck it seems.

Yeah it's pretty stupid, other things I've noticed, you can place him after you've already killed off your minions that turn, though I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. Perfect for killing their silvanas, and avoiding your aoe. And also, if Rag kills him he comes back to life.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

That Rag interaction is unintended according to Ben Brode. It'll be fixed soon.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themasterds said:

That Rag interaction is unintended according to Ben Brode. It'll be fixed soon.

Yeah, I think KT is the only effect in the game that triggers at the end of your opponent's turn? Meaning it overlaps with the end-of-turn effects of their own creatures, and doesn't handle the timing properly, because obviously KT's effect shouldn't be able to trigger when he has already died. I'm guessing Baron Geddon has the same bug as Rag (assuming Geddon's damage is what kills KT), except people play him waaaaaay less than Rag so you're not gonna hear much about it.

Kinda sad that they didn't catch that in QA. Like, the biggest unique effect to KT is the thing where he triggers at the end of the opponent's turn as well, and you'd think they would test that out to see how it interacts with all of the other creatures with EoT effects. That's a pretty simple checklist.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Paladin class challenge is absolute garbage, which is weird because we're 9 challenges in and it's the first one I'd say is bad. Most of the others are gimicky and fun, but the Paladin one is too draw related. It's an ok idea (Echoing Ooze + buff deck) but it doesn't feel very Paladinny (if that makes sense? Doesn't play to the strengths of the class) and if you don't draw buffs you're just sat with 5 Echoing Oozes and nothing to do. Doesn't help that there's very little card draw in the deck. I feel like with this challenge Naxxramas really ended on a whimper.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By freakin9

I'm not surprised it's a bug. Now, I understand the logic of why it works like that. Otherwise even if it hit a different minion that minion wouldn't revive, like it probably should. It's going to be fun when they fix it and someone faceless's KT so they have 2 KTs on their board and it just breaks the game all over again. Though maybe I'm not giving the Blizzard programmers enough credit, or maybe it's a situation that will never happen so who gives a fuck.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shortbreadtom: Yeah, it's not so much that the boss is hard in that one, it's that the deck is garbage. Honestly, I wouldn't even blame it on bad draws in this instance. The deck is so bad that you're just drawing into more early game stuff that you end up playing your entire hand by turn 5. It's like, am I trying to get a Doomguard out here or something? When I finally did beat the challenge it was because I just went for face and hoped he couldn't remove my board.

Hey guys, Avenge+Ooze. Right? Right? Oh wait, secrets don't proc on your turn now so it doesn't work. They should have taken the number of Oozes and put in just as many Blessing of Kings. Seemed like I played a ton of Oozes and never found more than 1 Blessing each game. Not even sure there is more than 1 in the deck??

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By MrMazz

It took me a couple days but I beat all the wings on heroic, I feel behind after the Military Quarter. Overall the only fight that didn't seem fair was the friggin Grobbulus fight. autocast 2 damage to all enemies and free 2/2 ozze if you they die to it was just annoying. Getting off to any sort of a start and at least negate anysort of bord Grobb creates was next to impossible for me other than lucky divne spirit+inner fire combos on one of the usual suspects.

The heroic Saphirron fight is an interesting puzzel that also takes a certain amount of luck, it came down to my last card (a eagle horn boy) but it's an understandable mechanic and something you can exploit. the Kel Thuzad fight while hard at first, the idea of auto 3 damage agaisnt 65 health is daunthing. I ended up just healing my way through it and trading until he auto went to stage 2 and than just kept board control and slowly killed him.

At the end of all this I realize now the power of board control. And as a way to show someone without being an overt tutorial on how these kinds of games work I'd say it was mostly effective.

No Caption Provided

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The secret to beating Sapphiron: fatigue.

Loading Video...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: Yeah, definitely the funniest way to win. I still haven't beat that fight on Heroic because I just don't have enough of the rarer cards that help quite a bit.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By MrMazz

@turambar: wow thats a cool way to beat that. I ended up just going with trap hunter and slowly killing the board and just barley squeaking by

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: Yea I know the basic idea. Just don't have the cards needed for it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i managed to disenchant a couple of unneeded gold/foil cards and crafted my mage a vaporize, a counterspell and a blizzard, won against heroic Saph first try.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.