Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

So presumably this is gonna be pushed by Sony as a BIG DEAL

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

And that's why you have to wonder why they couldn't get native-english voice actors for the english audio.  Honestly it's really weird hearing the french accents bleed through in some of the characters. They're not bad actors or anything but the accents are somewhat illusion-breaking.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

As in advertising?  Well they sure are waiting long enough, the damn game comes out in a week. 

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jost1

Yeah good point. Hmm!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah but the French VO is great, so that doesn't really matter.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jeffgoldblum

If I was Sony I would be very afraid of this game. It's a strange game and if it doesn't sell well I'm sure they don't want to lose any more money.

Don't get me wrong the game might be great, but that doesn't always translate to great sales.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jost1

I'm sure someone high up in Sony are pretty nervous about it yes. It's definitely not a sure hit like God of War 3 is.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "If I was Sony I would be very afraid of this game."
    I bet they are. From what I've heard, the only reason the game exists is that they didn't have anything else to show off at some event a couple of years back. If they had other games to show, Heavy Rain would probably never even have been announced.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Andorski

Sony has a knack for pushing "artsy" games for their systems.  The PS2 has their Team ICO games while the PS3 has Heavy Rain and Flower.  They seem to always want a couple of games to advertise their system as having a game library with more than shooters, racers, action, and sports games.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Phished0ne
    @Icemael said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    I bet they are. From what I've heard, the only reason the game exists is that they didn't have anything else to show off at some event a couple of years back. If they had other games to show, Heavy Rain would probably never even have been announced. "  
    This game would've came out regardless of if sony "Spotlighted" it, Quantic Dream is a good developer and i dont think Sony would want to alienate them. 

With that being said, Indigo Prophecy is a cult hit video game, it would be dumb for sony not to take a chance on Heavy Rain.  Its a shame Sony doesn't do nearly enough marketing. Of course, where do you market Heavy Rain...(my only thought on that would be a movie theater, make a nice "movie like" trailer for the game, i think the people watching in a theater could really get into it, and understand the "press button" action sequences, regardless of if they are a gamer or not). 
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Phished0ne said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    I bet they are. From what I've heard, the only reason the game exists is that they didn't have anything else to show off at some event a couple of years back. If they had other games to show, Heavy Rain would probably never even have been announced. "  
    This game would've came out regardless of if sony "Spotlighted" it, Quantic Dream is a good developer and i dont think Sony would want to alienate them.  With that being said, Indigo Prophecy is a cult hit video game, it would be dumb for sony not to take a chance on Heavy Rain.  Its a shame Sony doesn't do nearly enough marketing. Of course, where do you market Heavy Rain...(my only thought on that would be a movie theater, make a nice "movie like" trailer for the game, i think the people watching in a theater could really get into it, and understand the "press button" action sequences, regardless of if they are a gamer or not).  "

I think it's great Sony decided to push this game. I'm a fan of games that try something different even if they don't work out exactly as planned.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

it is a big deal.  
    Besides Indigo Prophecy and maybe a couple other games out there... 
    There is nothing like this.  
    Its an incredibly immersive story telling experience. Thats the bottom line. Its basically a way of tell stories in a way that engages the viewer like never before.  

also i think SONY knows VERY WELL what kind of game this is and what kind of sales to expect from it.  
    Saying they are afraid of anything is fucking ridiculous. They rely on games like Uncharted 2 and MGS4 and God of War 3, not games like Heavy Rain. lot of fanboys on this thread. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @Phished0ne said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    This game would've came out regardless of if sony "Spotlighted" it, Quantic Dream is a good developer and i dont think Sony would want to alienate them."
    I'm pretty sure I heard on a podcast that them needing something to show off at some event literally is the only reason the game exists. I can't guarantee that it's true, of course, but I see no reason why anyone would lie about that.
    erikj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By erikj
    @TwoOneFive:  

Exactly to a T,  nice display of truth
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Icemael said:
    " @Phished0ne said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    This game would've came out regardless of if sony "Spotlighted" it, Quantic Dream is a good developer and i dont think Sony would want to alienate them."
    I'm pretty sure I heard on a podcast that them needing something to show off at some event literally is the only reason the game exists. I can't guarantee that it's true, of course, but I see no reason why anyone would lie about that. "
    thats a load of horse shit. this game exists because of the incredibly passionate developers behind it.  
    and Sony has more than enough kick ass surprises to show of at E3 every year 
    Spellbot5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Spellbot5000

Maybe I'm losing touch with new releases as I get older, but MAN, how did I not know up to this point that this game was a PS3 exclusive? I swear I thought this game was coming out on the PC and 360 as well, and I was all set to buy the PC version. I go to D2D, not there. Then I try Steam, not there either. Weird, they usually have preorders up well before a week until release. So I check MS's site, not there either. Then it finally hits me; "Is.... is this game PS3 only?"

I mean, I have a PS3 so no big deal, but I was totally out to lunch on this one.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dogma
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Phished0ne said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    I'm pretty sure I heard on a podcast that them needing something to show off at some event literally is the only reason the game exists. I can't guarantee that it's true, of course, but I see no reason why anyone would lie about that. "
    thats a load of horse shit. this game exists because of the incredibly passionate developers behind it.  and Sony has more than enough kick ass surprises to show of at E3 every year  "
    He has a point actually. The first thing we saw of Heavy Rain (the monolouge) was tech demo that Quantic showed off. It was not a game by then. It also helped Quantic that they wanted to support Playstation 3 and SCEE was on the lookout for new games and saw their demo. So it's kind of a fluke or a accidental pitch if you will. So when we first heard about Heavy Rain there was nothing except for that demo. 
    BTW... don't you think that the woman in that demo looks alot like the prostitute in the demo you can play on PSN now?
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Phished0ne
    @Dogma:    I believe that the woman in the demo and the prostitute are the same person.  They featured that actress in that video "the casting" the E3 demo, i believe. 

Real Casting video: 

@Icemael:  Regardless of whether or not the game "came from a tech demo" you can't say the game "wouldn't exist" without Sony giving the tech demo a shot at E3, i guarantee that Quantic was working on this game anyway. 
    Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dogma

Alright! As I suspected then! Yeah...I thought those two characters were very similar.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By JoelTGM

I don't see why it's a problem.  They sounded fine to me, but I guess I don't know much about American accents, so I can't tell if it sounds right or not.  Also, why should Sony have a part in dealing with voice actors?  Are publishers involved like that?

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By canucks23

Sadly, Sony doesn't seem to know how to market any big game they have. I've never really seen good marketing for any of the games they publish.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icemael
    @Phished0ne said:
    "@Icemael:  Regardless of whether or not the game "came from a tech demo" you can't say the game "wouldn't exist" without Sony giving the tech demo a shot at E3, i guarantee that Quantic was working on this game anyway.  "
    I'm not saying it wouldn't exist. I'm saying I've heard it wouldn't exist, and since I fail to see any reason anyone would lie about that(and if my memory serves me correctly, the dude who mentioned it had got the information from David Cage himself) I think it's pretty likely that that's the case. I'm not saying you have to believe it -- hell, seeing as I can't even remember what podcast it was on, I might just have misheard something -- I'm just saying that to me, it seems believable.
    Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dirty_Harry

The voice acting does not bother me, i don't hear the English language everyday so...

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By davidwitten22

Can people not suspend disbelief enough to just assume that the characters have weird accents? I mean, you can be in New York and not sound like a New Yorker.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By jkz

I'm pretty sure it's been said by most people involved (along with analysts) that the game isn't really expected to break even; it's more of an experiment, and a way to broaden their audience by saying "hey, look, you can do more than shoot, drive, and sport."

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PJ

I'm going to call it right now. The game will be great, but it will sell like shit. And heres a few reason why it can/will be a sales flop.
    1. Sony cant market videogames.
    2. People don't usually like QTEs and wont give the game a chance.
    3. Story heavy games dont really sell all that well, very few exceptions.
    4. Farenheit/Indigo Prophesty probebly scared of potential buyers because of its incredably bad ending and paceing.
    5. They haven't shown the game off all that well outside of the hardcore gaming circle. This is a game that should have more covarage in mainstream media and showcase that games can be more then GTA or kids toys, simply put, which is what the public sees games as.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I would love for this game to be on the 360. Goddamn exclusives.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @TwoOneFive said:

" @Icemael said:

" @Phished0ne said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    thats a load of horse shit. this game exists because of the incredibly passionate developers behind it.  and Sony has more than enough kick ass surprises to show of at E3 every year  "
    Games aren't funded by sheer willpower. 
    I'm sure the game would come out with or without Sony's help, but Sony's push they gave it is probably the reason we are talking about it now.    
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I'd bet Quantic Dream had 'final cut' as part of their exclusivity deal.  Nothing to do with Sony in that regard.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Valames

I just imagine they are all French immigrants who have lived in America long enough to pick up some of the dialect, but not all.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @canucks23 said:
    " Sadly, Sony doesn't seem to know how to market any big game they have. I've never really seen good marketing for any of the games they publish. "
    Sony had bus stop ads put up for Killzone 2 in Toronto. But somebody complained that when their children looked at the ads, it reminded them of Nazis or the War in Iraq, so they pulled down the ads.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By trophyhunter

yeah, where the hell have you been?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By Hailinel

The only thing that concerns me about Heavy Rain is whether or not the final act devolves into Dragon Ball Z and The Matrix in a battle against some alien that just happens to have a fetish for murdering children and folding origami cranes.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By A_Faceless_Name

They really need to market this game to women, it could do so well with that demographic.

As for accents, I love Jayden's in the demo, he sounds like a French Canadian doing an impression of a Kennedy.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By TheHT

Really? I imagine if someone's not gonna get this game it won't be because the english voice overs aren't the GA dialect.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By get2sammyb
    @josty81: Because QD are French and they got French actors to play the parts. People are exaggerating the voice acting. I'm not going to deny that it's patchy, but it's still a step ahead of most other video games.

Also, why is everyone worrying about sales? It's gonna do fine. Not blockbuster numbers, but fine. It's been top of a host of Amazon sales charts worldwide for a while now, and while that's not a big indication of sales, it certainly means people ARE preordering it. It'll do fine.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i wish i had a ps3

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jost1

The voice acting is good I agree but compared to something like Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2 it's lacking. My opinion, you can disagree if you want. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.