Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

So... the Heavy Rain demo isn't great

• 99 results
    dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By dhuff

Just finished the dl and played ablout 1/2 the demo before it locked up on me. Wow, not what I was expecting. Turns out it is boring to do everyday tasks in a video game. I think it was Jeff that pointed out that fatal flaw on the bombcast.

Also, what the hell is with the acting? They seriously didn't bother to get REAL AMERICANS to voice this thing? Even if it were fun, which it isn't, the bad acting would proably still kill it for me.

Alan Wake better the f-ing amazing.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

People are about to dedicate a lot of their time to "prove your opinion wrong". 

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zyn

I liked the private detective mission, but the FBI mission sucked.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I respect your opinion but I disagree, good sir.  Demo was amazing.  Looking forward to the full game.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dogma

I believe people already are talking about this demo in this thread.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Kohe321

IGN review said it takes a couple of hours before it picks up. Take that for what it's worth.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive

didnt lock up on me... 

and i thought it was very different, but i was totally sucked into it. 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By xMP44x

I've read a lot about Heavy Rain recently, but I have no idea what it is. I know it's made by Quantic Dream, the people behind Fahrenheit, but what exactly is it?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @xMP44x said:
    " I've read a lot about Heavy Rain recently, but I have no idea what it is. I know it's made by Quantic Dream, the people behind Fahrenheit, but what exactly is it? "
    It's a video game. 
    dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dhuff
    @zyn said:
    " I liked the private detective mission, but the FBI mission sucked. "
    It was better definitely, but still kinda janky. The prostitute sounded like she had was reading her lines phonetically.
    @Kohe321 said:
    " IGN review said it takes a couple of hours before it picks up. Take that for what it's worth. "

I just don't want to spend that kind of time before I enjoy it. I dunno, maybe I'm just a cynical bastard for wanting my games to be immediately enjoyable.

On the other hand, I did play 50 hours of Demon's Souls.
    Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tomarlyn

Other than the terrible movement controls I found it fresh and interesting. It comes down to whether or not you liked Shenmue's gameplay mechanics. 

Also I don't get the hate for the acting, its the most realistic I've encountered in a game next to Mass Effect.
    Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dogma

Is it me or is the prostitute ain't the same woman we saw in the first ever Heavy Rain trailer? She looks really similar...

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

i loved the demo

dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dhuff
    @Tomarlyn said:
    " Other than the terrible movement controls I found it fresh and interesting. It comes down to whether or not you liked Shenmue's gameplay mechanics.  Also I don't get the hate for the acting, its the most realistic I've encountered in a game next to Mass Effect. "
    Is English your first language? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mmmslash

I really, really enjoyed the demo.

I'm sorry you didn't, also.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael

Yeah, the demo isn't very good. There's some neat stuff in it -- the murder scene investigation was pretty cool, and the fight scene was really intense -- but not nearly enough to outweigh the bad parts; the awful controls, the poor voice acting, and the awkward, often disorienting camera.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dogma

I feel like I have to repost this because now this suddenly this is the most active Heavy Rain thread :P 
     -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     I really liked the demo and when I got the full version (thursday) I got really excited. I have for now played about three hours and even if this game starts out really slow it's gets under your skin. The way they have made you almost feel that you are a part of the enviroment (it's almost like you would touch something) is really interesting. I won't spolil anything but there are some moments where the different types of QTE work really really well. But the best part is how I get irritated, mad or supprised by the results of different stuff that is happening to me. You get kind of invested and and I had my moment when I jumped in the sofa, hold my breath, put my hand before my mouth or wiped my forhead with my arm (seconds later my character did the same armwipe, I guess we felt the same way...). 

It's a cool experience so far. I'm still not crazy about the tank controls and just like Fahrenheit I feel dumb doing misstakes because I can't find stuff in my own goddamn home! That feels kind of wierd... you're always under time pressure in some way. I'm not a fan that I some times don't get enough time to read and respond and therefore deliver a forced answer. It's pretty but the way text circle around you makes it hard to read BUT I kinda like how the game show nervosity by making text options shake. One time I actually knew a answer to a question but pressed the wrong button because I was hyper and the text was shaking all over the place. 

Can't wait to continue this game....    

dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dhuff
    @Dogma: I still might check it out sometime, though I can say that I won't be buying it (almost pre-ordered it, got ME2 instead).

@Mmmslash: Me too ;)
    Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dogma
    @dhuff: Hehe...I'm actually dual wielding both Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain. Played them both for about three hours yesterday, Mass Effect 2 has a wonderful world and I want to see more of it all the time but goddamn it, Heavy Rain is really engaging and makes me stand on my toes. I hate this.... I now play to games where both of them makes me squirm in pains before I do a decissesion that will affect things.
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By ozzdog12
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    " I respect your opinion but I disagree, good sir.  Demo was amazing.  Looking forward to the full game. "
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By BigBoss1911

Private detective mission was fun but the fbi mission bore me to death.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArcLyte

why do people automatically lump alan wake together with this game? they couldn't be more different.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By vidiot

The demo is the only reason why I'm purchasing this game, it converted me. It's an adventure game, through-and-through, and while doing remedial tasks were cited as an issue with multiple reviews it doesn't look to horrifically detract from the experience.

I will agree on one thing: The voice acting is all over the place. We forget sometimes that American accents are just as hard to emulate as any other accent. Shocker. While some were dead on perfect, others were just painful to listen too. Again, not something to stop me from purchasing. 

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

The demo was awesome.  Really looking forward to this game.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I actually find the accents to be unique in a way.  Though some of the lines delivered are a little off...it's still interesting.  Only complaint I have from the demo is that the walking is awkward along with the camera.  Rarely you might have to fight for which direction you want to go.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Marzy

Thought it was incredible, I literally can't wait to play the full game.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Andorski

The demo froze on me too.

I also am not a fan of micromanaging the most subtle actions of each character.  Choosing your way through the dialogue and testing your reflexes during fights with timed button responses work well.  They get you into the mindset of the characters and intensify movie-like scenes, which have always been a passive experience.  Meanwhile, things like dealing with some guy's asthma or doing some joystick maneuvering to knock on a door only annoy me as a participant of this story.  They aren't fun and they don't make me relate to the character.  If anything, they just halt the pacing of the story to remind me that I am playing a game.

Also... what is with the "pull trigger to walk" idea?  Does this serve any function that the standard "move joystick in a certain direction to walk" doesn't?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @OllyOxenFree said:

" I actually find the accents to be unique in a way.  Though some of the lines delivered are a little off...it's still interesting.

This is exactly why I can't get fully behind this game (or this type of game) yet.

If this was a movie the slightest bit of unconvincing acting, or the tiniest plot hole results in that movie, it's writers and it's actors being skewered and hung out to dry. Yet since this is a videogame people seem to be very apologetic towards it?

Guess I should go grab the demo for myself before passing anymore judgement on this game tho. :P
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nasar7

Demo was great. English voice work indeed sucks. So do the Spanish and Portuguese tracks.  Here's a tip, set the audio to French w/ subs. 

@Icemael said:

" Yeah, the demo isn't very good. There's some neat stuff in it -- the murder scene investigation was pretty cool, and the fight scene was really intense -- but not nearly enough to outweigh the bad parts; the awful controls, the poor voice acting, and the awkward, often disorienting camera. "
    I think you are being a bit inflexible. It's an adventure game; all games don't need to control the same. I for one rejoiced at the return of static camera angles.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30  Edited By Icemael
    @Nasar7 said:
    "@Icemael said:
    " Yeah, the demo isn't very good. There's some neat stuff in it -- the murder scene investigation was pretty cool, and the fight scene was really intense -- but not nearly enough to outweigh the bad parts; the awful controls, the poor voice acting, and the awkward, often disorienting camera. "
    I think you are being a bit inflexible. It's an adventure game; all games don't need to control the same. I for one rejoiced at the return of static camera angles. "
    There are plenty of adventure games with good controls. Heavy Rain isn't one of them. Same goes for the camera; fixed camera angles can be great when done right, but the ones in Heavy Rain are just awful.
    Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tomarlyn
    @dhuff said:
    " @Tomarlyn said:
    " Other than the terrible movement controls I found it fresh and interesting. It comes down to whether or not you liked Shenmue's gameplay mechanics.  Also I don't get the hate for the acting, its the most realistic I've encountered in a game next to Mass Effect. "
    Is English your first language? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know. "

Yes and I'm English
    dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dhuff
    @ArcLyte: I don't lump Alan Wake and Heavy Rain together because of gameplay. It has more to do with the fact that they are the two games I am (or was) most excited for.  Heavy Rain doesn't seem like it will be my cup of tea, thus my need for Alan Wake to meet or exceed expectation.

@Tomarlyn said:
    " @dhuff said:
    " @Tomarlyn said:
    Is English your first language? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know. "
    Yes and I'm English "

Oh. And you didn't hear the weirdness in the accents? Perhaps Brits won't have a problem with it because most the characters are American.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By vidiot
    @Andorski said:
    " Also... what is with the "pull trigger to walk" idea?  Does this serve any function that the standard "move joystick in a certain direction to walk" doesn't? "
    I've been trying to figure this out as well. At first I thought it was to push players in the right direction. During the first part of the demo, all you kinda have to do is hold down the trigger to get to your destinations. Makes sense: It's a limited hallway, a set of stairs to another hallway.

I was bewildered with the second part which made you wander a giant crime scene. What purpose is there to holding down a button to transverse an area built for larger movement? There's no linear point A, to point B searching that crime scene. You need to explore. It seemed very counter-intuitive and unnecessary. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a patch down the road to address this. It feels like an awkward design choice the team got stuck on, it doesn't work as well as what they probably initially thought in was. Good on paper, bad when executed. Perhaps I'm not seeing something?
    harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By harrisonave

I enjoyed it.  Though, there was this annoying and hilarious glitch in the demo where the prostitute you speak to kept darting off the screen randomly.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:

" I actually find the accents to be unique in a way.  Though some of the lines delivered are a little off...it's still interesting.

This is exactly why I can't get fully behind this game (or this type of game) yet.  If this was a movie the slightest bit of unconvincing acting, or the tiniest plot hole results in that movie, it's writers and it's actors being skewered and hung out to dry. Yet since this is a videogame people seem to be very apologetic towards it?  Guess I should go grab the demo for myself before passing anymore judgement on this game tho. :P "
    Well the game is made by the goddamn French in a goddamn French studio lol.  It's not going to be perfect unless they pay for American actors which could bring up the budget I guess.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @dhuff said:
    " Just finished the dl and played ablout 1/2 the demo before it locked up on me. Wow, not what I was expecting. Turns out it is boring to do everyday tasks in a video game. I think it was Jeff that pointed out that fatal flaw on the bombcast.  Also, what the hell is with the acting? They seriously didn't bother to get REAL AMERICANS to voice this thing? Even if it were fun, which it isn't, the bad acting would proably still kill it for me.  Alan Wake better the f-ing amazing. "
    Alan Wake is gonna shit all over Black Rain.  Or maybe I should say Alan Wake will dump some serious black rain.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Tomarlyn said:
    Go play The Darkness. Now that was great voice acting. It makes Mass Effect's acting look like a school project in my opinion.
    dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dhuff
    @Whisperkill said:
    Go play The Darkness. Now that was great voice acting. It makes Mass Effect's acting look like a school project in my opinion. "
    The characters talked entirely too much with their hands. It was like having a bad Italian accent.
    I'd recommend people go back and play Riddick instead.
    Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Warfare

I disagree.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Skytylz

i don't have a ps3 but i still think this game looks kind of interesting.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#41  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @zyn said:
    " I liked the private detective mission, but the FBI mission sucked. "
    This.
    GEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GEP
    @dhuff:  I was excited for the game but somewhat skeptical, to me playing the demo really brought me back to the oldschool adventure days except with a new polish of amazing graphics.  I noticed certain characters animated much better than others and the voice acting although uneven isn't anywhere near as bad as you say.  If you piss off the woman in the PI section she delivers a pretty great "GET THE FUCK OUT".  I noticed replaying the demo showed some small examples of how you can change the way scenes progress but god did I wish i could skip some scenes. I know thats illogical for a game like this but on multiple playthroughs itd be great to speed up the progression a little bit. On another note the combat impressed me with the nice level of tension and the ability to come out on top without a perfectly one sided fight scene.
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aetos

I just played it and I have to say I'm excited for this game now. I thought it was a great demo.  

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By eric_buck
    @dhuff: ; Ohh yeah I know, that one FBI guys voice is so bad. I hate listening to him talk...
    Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tomarlyn
    @dhuff said:
    " @ArcLyte: I don't lump Alan Wake and Heavy Rain together because of gameplay. It has more to do with the fact that they are the two games I am (or was) most excited for.  Heavy Rain doesn't seem like it will be my cup of tea, thus my need for Alan Wake to meet or exceed expectation.

@Tomarlyn said:
    " @dhuff said:
    " @Tomarlyn said:
    Yes and I'm English "
    Oh. And you didn't hear the weirdness in the accents? Perhaps Brits won't have a problem with it because most the characters are American. "

I think I see the problem, I think the accents are spot on but thats how I expect americans to talk. Probably like how a lot of americans think the english all sound like Hugh Grant.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jkz
    @Tomarlyn said:
    " @dhuff said:
    " @ArcLyte: I don't lump Alan Wake and Heavy Rain together because of gameplay. It has more to do with the fact that they are the two games I am (or was) most excited for.  Heavy Rain doesn't seem like it will be my cup of tea, thus my need for Alan Wake to meet or exceed expectation.

@Tomarlyn said:
    " @dhuff said:
    " @Tomarlyn said:
    Yes and I'm English "
    Oh. And you didn't hear the weirdness in the accents? Perhaps Brits won't have a problem with it because most the characters are American. "
    I think I see the problem, I think the accents are spot on but thats how I expect americans to talk. Probably like how a lot of americans think the english all sound like Hugh Grant. "  
    I think it's because a lot of the voice actors are brits trying to play Americans, and it just ends up sounding forced and fake. It's just like when Americans try to play brits: to us it sounds perfectly fine, but for anyone who actually knows what the accent sounds like, it couldn't be more terrible.
    GEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GEP

they needed simon pegg, he has a great american accent for a brit.  

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Godlovesugly

"Turns out it is boring to do everyday tasks in a video game"
    Beating up guys in a prostitute's motel room is an everyday occurrence for you? No wonder you found it boring.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jkz
    @GEP said:
    " they needed simon pegg, he has a great american accent for a brit.  

"
    Holy crap he totally does, never noticed that.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By Cube
    @ozzdog12 said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:
    " I respect your opinion but I disagree, good sir.  Demo was amazing.  Looking forward to the full game. "
    "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.