Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

So... the Heavy Rain demo isn't great

• 99 results
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By captain_clayman

argh i still need to play it

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By bhhawks78

Demo was awful, 0 chance of renting or buying now.  Was hyped beforehand.

Can't wait till sales bomb and fanboys cry about marketing and thelike.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#53  Edited By Arzen
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " Can't wait till sales bomb and fanboys cry about marketing and thelike. "
    So because you didn't like the demo, you're looking forward to it failing (and seem to expect that it will fail just because you didn't like the demo)?  Seriously?
    LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By LeBart

The accent of the prostitute didn't bother me. The actress playing this role is french, just assume she's a french girl who moved to the US. It adds to the character.
    That said, I don't think she is a very good actress, which is a bigger problem I guess.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Milkman

I thought the demo was...interesting. Though the voice acting on the prostitute was real bad.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By Bouke

I don't know man, i thought the demo was really good! I especially liked the part with the private investigator. I like the fact that when you're in that fight and you miss a button it isn't game over... This demo got me excited for the full game...
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#57  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Tomarlyn:  
    I had a British acting teacher when I was younger say the exact phrase "Not all Brits sound like the BBC man." Then she had to explain to all of us what that meant. Thought you might find that amusing.
    stinky51012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By stinky51012
    @Hitchenson: brb true. true.
    felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By felixlighter

I actually really enjoyed the demo.  The only real problem I had was the awkward walking.  It wasn't difficult to get used to holding R2 to walk but when ever the character changes direction, while walking, it doesn't look quite right.  The movement was sudden, unnatural and almost robotic.  Not a big deal but since the characters all look so realistic, any kind of unnatural movement just stands out.  I also had some screen tearing but I've always been able to tolerate a little of that.  Other than those minor issues, I thought it was very interesting and I'm looking forward to more.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Arzen said:
    " @bhhawks78 said:
    " Can't wait till sales bomb and fanboys cry about marketing and thelike. "
    So because you didn't like the demo, you're looking forward to it failing (and seem to expect that it will fail just because you didn't like the demo)?  Seriously? "
    No, even if this was the greatest game ever made it's a foregone conclusion that it will bomb sales wise, and it's always fun to watch people cry and spaz out blaming marketing as to why their new fav game bombed.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By tranquilchaos

Yeah I disagree as well. I am super excited for this game.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By eclipsesis
    @dhuff said:
    " Just finished the dl and played ablout 1/2 the demo before it locked up on me. Wow, not what I was expecting. Turns out it is boring to do everyday tasks in a video game. I think it was Jeff that pointed out that fatal flaw on the bombcast.  Also, what the hell is with the acting? They seriously didn't bother to get REAL AMERICANS to voice this thing? Even if it were fun, which it isn't, the bad acting would proably still kill it for me.  Alan Wake better the f-ing amazing. "

Its a French game man, just feel lucky that they took the effort to do American style casting. 

In my opinion they should have set the game in France but had French people who can speak English as well as French (duh) do the voice overs at least that would make the game continental and different. But If they did this it wouldn't sell as good in the US market.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Arzen
    @bhhawks78: A forgone conclusion that it will bomb?  Based on what?  If the few threads I've read are any indication, far more people are impressed with the demo than those that were let down by it.
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jambones
    @FelixLighter said:
    " I actually really enjoyed the demo.  The only real problem I had was the awkward walking.  It wasn't difficult to get used to holding R2 to walk but when ever the character changes direction, while walking, it doesn't look quite right.  The movement was sudden, unnatural and almost robotic.  Not a big deal but since the characters all look so realistic, any kind of unnatural movement just stands out.  I also had some screen tearing but I've always been able to tolerate a little of that.  Other than those minor issues, I thought it was very interesting and I'm looking forward to more. "
    Yeah, I haven't played the demo yet, but the movement seems a little too like Resident Evil 1, at least in appearance, and breaks the immersion a little. Am I correct in assuming this control scheme was chosen so the right stick would be freed for gestures, etc?

Still, the story seems engaging; I am looking forward to being able to play it through (or even watch someone play it!)
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PercyChuggs

I don't get all the hate for the voice acting. The FBI and the Private Dick both sounded great, with the only iffy character being the pro. And those women naturally have speech impediments from spending so much time with stuff in their mouths.

Anyone else park Jayden on the train tracks, hoping it would come by and decimate him?

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Arzen: Every single member of GB could buy two copies and it would still bomb sales wise.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By dtat

The voice acting is really hit or miss. Every now and then, a line just sounds awful! It's a little off-putting, and I feel like if it was a movie, I'd be a lot harder on it, but as a game it's still interesting to me. I'll definitley play it, but I'll need to look past some of the acting.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SonicBoyster

PS3 exclusivity will hurt the game but it'll still sell relatively well.  Too much hype and time behind it for them not to market it well enough to make sales.

At its heart Heavy Rain is an adventure game.  If you don't love wandering around looking for shit or finding things to interact with you wont enjoy a good chunk of the game.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By zombie2011

I would have been more impressed with the game if i hadn't just beat ME2 on thursday. The story just doesn't interest me at all, its seems like a normal CSI show. Also the world is so depressing to be in, it's the video game version of Detroit.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jambones
    @SonicBoyster said:
    "At its heart Heavy Rain is an adventure game. "
    I got to thinking about this after you mentioned it, and wondered, is there any kind of inventory system? Sadly I doubt they'll have a Rubber Chicken with a pulley in the middle...
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AndrewB

I'd love to play the game, but I agree that that demo was useless. It really got me thinking about what the purpose of "interactive movie" type games is if most of what you're doing is stupid little gestures that have barely any meaning. There's a lot of other nifty stuff that keeps me from being turned away from it, though, and I stick by what I've said in that the industry could stand to have more of these types of games, where not everything is action and shooting. I enjoy me some slow-paced mystery/intrigue story, and one where you can alter the outcome gives it a reason for being a video game instead of just a movie (as long as there isn't one clearly "right" way of doing things).

dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By dhuff
    @eclipsesis said:
    " @dhuff said:
    " Just finished the dl and played ablout 1/2 the demo before it locked up on me. Wow, not what I was expecting. Turns out it is boring to do everyday tasks in a video game. I think it was Jeff that pointed out that fatal flaw on the bombcast.  Also, what the hell is with the acting? They seriously didn't bother to get REAL AMERICANS to voice this thing? Even if it were fun, which it isn't, the bad acting would proably still kill it for me.  Alan Wake better the f-ing amazing. "

Its a French game man, just feel lucky that they took the effort to do American style casting. 

In my opinion they should have set the game in France but had French people who can speak English as well as French (duh) do the voice overs at least that would make the game continental and different. But If they did this it wouldn't sell as good in the US market.

"
    Believe me, I WISH they left it in French. Maybe you can play it in French on the NA release. If that is the case, I'll give it a shot. I can't tell the difference between good french acting and crap french acting, so whatever.

Point is, you can't skip a stone without hitting an actor hungry for work. It would've been easy and cheap to get real Americans. They dropped the ball.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I am confused as to why people are complaining about the voice acting not sounding "American" enough. What does that even mean? Being American doesn't mean you're a specific race or something. There are all types of people with all types of different accents and backgrounds.

Roundtree_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Roundtree_X
    @Dogma said:
    "Is it me or is the prostitute ain't the same woman we saw in the first ever Heavy Rain trailer? She looks really similar... "

Yep it's her....she looks likes she not as young as in the trailer, but yea it's her....
    Witty_Hatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By Witty_Hatter
    @dhuff said:
      On the other hand, I did play 50 hours of Demon's Souls. "
    Game set and match
    Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Qorious

I haven't played it yet. Just saw GB's Quick Look of it and to me, it looked as if both Ryan and Vinny were very impressed with the game. I agree with you on the voice acting, it isn't the best. 

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By MAST

Honestly, the OP is not really any different then people that come out and say Uncharted 2 is complete crap. I expect the same to happen to Heavy Rain. It's probably going to be a fantastic game, close to perfect in almost every area, and worthy of Game of the Year nomination. Yet that won't stop a vocal minority from coming in talking about how lame, and boring the game is. Probably because they think being different then everyone else makes them better. Or because they are 360 fanboys trying to trivialize another Grade-A PS3 exclusive.

Either way, smart people will know not to buy into that crap, just like they knew not to buy into the Uncharted 2 slandering.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MAST
    @AndrewB said:
    " I'd love to play the game, but I agree that that demo was useless. It really got me thinking about what the purpose of "interactive movie" type games is if most of what you're doing is stupid little gestures that have barely any meaning."
    I really don't get this issue either. I keep seeing people complain about the whole game being quick time events, but I respond to that by saying "so what?" Heavy Rain is the evolution of the point and click adventure genre. Those games were just pointing... and clicking. Nothing amazing as far as gameplay. The draw of it was usually the narrative, the atmosphere, and the discovery. Heavy Rain is no different. The draw of this game is not the playing part (even though I'm sure the actual gameplay will be competent enough). The draw is the story, and the gritty atmosphere, and getting emotionally invested in these characters.

Maybe it's just not your thing, and that's fine. However, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with this type of gameplay. Some people hate fighting games, some people hate FPS games. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the gameplay of those genres either.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By TheHT

yeah the accents kinda sneak in a bit, but it certainly doesn't distract me. it's not like the prostitute EEZ TALKING LIKA ZISS.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @dhuff said:
    "Also, what the hell is with the acting? They seriously didn't bother to get REAL AMERICANS to voice this thing?"
    They should have picked me. I fight for the rights of every man.
    Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Tomarlyn
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @Tomarlyn:  I had a British acting teacher when I was younger say the exact phrase "Not all Brits sound like the BBC man." Then she had to explain to all of us what that meant. Thought you might find that amusing. "

I didn't know what a redneck was until I started playing on xbox live.
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jambones
    @AndrewB said:
    " I'd love to play the game, but I agree that that demo was useless. It really got me thinking about what the purpose of "interactive movie" type games is if most of what you're doing is stupid little gestures that have barely any meaning. There's a lot of other nifty stuff that keeps me from being turned away from it, though, and I stick by what I've said in that the industry could stand to have more of these types of games, where not everything is action and shooting. I enjoy me some slow-paced mystery/intrigue story, and one where you can alter the outcome gives it a reason for being a video game instead of just a movie (as long as there isn't one clearly "right" way of doing things). "
    Yeah, I think what would set this style of game apart from simply being an 'interactive movie' would be the ability to affect to outcome of the story. I am not sure if I'd be interested if the story was not altered in some way. Perhaps I am thinking about this all wrong; Should I be looking at it instead as an evolution of story telling rather than a game evolution? Both Ryan and Vinny, and others I've heard who've played the demo, say that the game does a good job of setting the atmosphere, but is it a story that warrants interactivity?

I hope you understand what I mean. I am feeling a little fried this morning. Apologies if I am not making sense.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#83  Edited By Icemael
    @MAST said:

"Honestly, the OP is not really any different then people that come out and say Uncharted 2 is complete crap. I expect the same to happen to Heavy Rain. It's probably going to be a fantastic game, close to perfect in almost every area, and worthy of Game of the Year nomination. Yet that won't stop a vocal minority from coming in talking about how lame, and boring the game is. Probably because they think being different then everyone else makes them better. Or because they are 360 fanboys trying to trivialize another Grade-A PS3 exclusive.  Either way, smart people will know not to buy into that crap, just like they knew not to buy into the Uncharted 2 slandering."

People make perfectly valid complaints(if you've played the demo, you can't seriously try to deny the issues that have been pointed out in this thread). You retort by calling them 360 fanboys, and then proceed to claim that "it's probably going to be close to perfect in almost every area". Am I the only one who sees the irony here?

The game is probably going to be good; however, it has some serious flaws, and whether those flaws bother you or not, denying their presence is incredibly ignorant. So is calling people fanboys while making claims only a fanboy would make.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By MikkaQ

I know this sounds crazy, but it's true the english voice acting wasn't great, so I figured, hey I'll try it in the developers' native tongue. And what do you know, the french voice acting is actually pretty good, the writing's pretty good, and it's well delivered. As a native speaker, I approve. Just put on subtitles, and it's decent.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#85  Edited By Jost1

I'm cold on it as well. 

See you later duders!

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MAST
    @Icemael said:
    "The game is probably going to be good; however, it has some serious flaws, and whether those flaws bother you or not, denying their presence is incredibly ignorant. So is calling people fanboys while making claims only a fanboy would make. "
    I'm not making claims only a fanboy would make. I'm only pointing out that some people out there said that Uncharted 2 was completely broken garbage. I'm only submitting that those types of people are either crazy, or 360 fanboys trying to downplay a nearly perfect PS3 exclusive. C'mon, you know there are people out there that would probably do something like that out of spite. I also didn't even say that Heavy Rain won't have some minor flaws, that's why I said it will be "nearly perfect" not "fully perfect." 
    I'm not a fanboy, I'm just a realist that can look at Heavy Rain and know that it's going to be up there with some of the best games to be released so far this generation. I'd say the same if it was a 360 game. I don't care about consoles, I care about games. Just because there are some crazy nitpicky people out there that are going to come down on some minor voice-acting "flaws" doesn't change the fact that this game is going to be outstanding. 

And that's all I really see people complaining about. The fact that they hear some French/British in the voice-acting. This might sound like a completely crazy idea, but people can get into a thing called a "plane" fly over to America, and poof. You have people with accents living in America. So coming across people with accents in a game based in America isn't really that unlikely. Also, coming across weird half-n-half accents in America is extremely likely. Some people were raised by one American, and one heavy accented foreigner. Which results in weird dialects and accents.

The only other complain I see is people saying it's boring, but that's just a persons taste. I could say that fighting games are boring, or point and click adventures are boring, but that won't stop them from being successful. It's just not your thing, and that's fine... I never saw any bugs, if there are some people seeing bugs, then those are just people playing the game solely to look for them, and are so minor that a normal person isn't going to notice them while playing through the game. The game controls just fine. Hell, it's just holding down a button to go, and tilting the stick in a direction. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you probably shouldn't be playing games in the first place.

As I said, Heavy Rain is just an evolution or variation on classic point and click adventures. It's simple gameplay, yes, but that's not what people will play it for. They will play it because of the engaging atmosphere, characters, story, etc. Yeah, Heavy Rain will do just fine. These few complainers are unjustified, just like the people that tried to slander Uncharted 2 were unjustified. There will always be at least one person out there that will come out and say even a perfect game was "complete crap." If this type of game isn't your thing, then fine, but don't try and make up issues that don't really exist, or aren't big enough to complain about. Some people did that with Uncharted 2, and thankfully most knew to ignore those people. Hopefully it will be the same case with Heavy Rain.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MAST
    @Icemael: And just in case you are illiterate, and decide to do the TLDR thing:

I played the demo, and it did not have serious flaws. You are just a sensationalist making sensational comments. No different then the people that said Uncharted 2 had serious flaws, looked like turd, played like junk, had crappy voice acting, etc. Sure, you are free to say whatever you want about a game. Make up whatever "flaws" you want it to have. That doesn't make it true. I'm only typing all this up because, just like people ignored the Uncharted 2 slander, I hope they're smart enough to ignore the Heavy Rain slander.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Icemael
    @MAST said:

" @Icemael: And just in case you are illiterate, and decide to do the TLDR thing:

I played the demo, and it did not have serious flaws. You are just a sensationalist making sensational comments. No different then the people that said Uncharted 2 had serious flaws, looked like turd, played like junk, had crappy voice acting, etc. Sure, you are free to say whatever you want about a game. Make up whatever "flaws" you want it to have. That doesn't make it true. I'm only typing all this up because, just like people ignored the Uncharted 2 slander, I hope they're smart enough to ignore the Heavy Rain slander. "

In case you are illiterate, let me quote myself: " whether those flaws bother you or not, denying their presence is incredibly ignorant."

The camera angles are awkward and often disorienting, and the controls are horrible. I know most people aren't as sensitive as me when it comes to these kinds of issues -- just look at the following the Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear Solid series have -- but they are, to me, very serious.

I don't understand why you're being so overly protective of the game. I get that you like it, and I'm not telling you you shouldn't; I'm just telling you why I don't. Discredit my criticisms as "made up" if you will, and try convincing me that a game I see substantial flaws in is "nearly perfect"; at the end of the day, the only difference between what you're doing and what the people you call "crazy" and "fanboys" are doing is that they are critical, whereas you are protective.
    dhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By dhuff
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " I know this sounds crazy, but it's true the english voice acting wasn't great, so I figured, hey I'll try it in the developers' native tongue. And what do you know, the french voice acting is actually pretty good, the writing's pretty good, and it's well delivered. As a native speaker, I approve. Just put on subtitles, and it's decent. "
    Glad to hear that the French is good. I'll play it someday, and when I do, I'll pop on the subs.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MAST
    @Icemael said:
    "Discredit my criticisms as "made up" if you will, and try convincing me that a game I see substantial flaws in is "nearly perfect"; at the end of the day, the only difference between what you're doing and what the people you call "crazy" and "fanboys" are doing is that they are critical, whereas you are protective. "
    My problem is you say this game has "serious flaws" which is a completely sensational, over-exaggeration. I was trying to humor you with a debate, but all I really have to do is point out the games metacritic score. It averages a 9 out of 10. No game with "serious flaws" as you said, would ever average a 9/10. Hell, the lowest score is 7/10, and even that is too high for a game with "serious flaws." 

Your last post was a lot more reasonable. Where you basically just say that you personally don't like the controls, or camera angles. Still, while those things might not be ideal to you, they are absolutely not "serious flaws." That would be stuff like, game breaking bugs, crashing, etc. Camera issues, and control issues while they may be a flaw, are not "serious" flaws. Unless they make it completely impossible to play the game, and in this case they don't. You even acknowledge yourself that those complaints might be do to your oversensitivity. Which is exactly the point I was trying to make. You suggest that I should "acknowledge the presence of those flaws." Yet if they don't bother me, and I don't notice them, obviously I can't acknowledge them. That is going to be the case for most people, I think. 
    It's also related to why I brought up Uncharted 2. Some oversensitive people slandered almost every aspect of that game on one forum or another. Before, and after it came out. That doesn't mean their problems with the game had any credence at all. It just means obsessive-compulsive, nitpicking people are finding issues that aren't there, and will never be noticed by 99% of the other people out there. It's like if I went into a dead silent library, and start asking people "Do you hear that buzzing, whining noise?" Everyone says "no" yet I won't drop the issue. Instead I start saying "If you guys can't hear that, you need to get your ears checked. There is something wrong with this library, this place is crap!" My point is, the problem is probably you, not the library. Similarly, the problem is probably you, not the game. Posting that the game has "serious issues" without clarifying that your complaints might only pertain to you is unfair to the game. It makes people think the game is completely broken in some way. That's why I'm defending it. I hate unfair, sensational exaggerations, and it happens all the time. People bringing up what they "think" is a serious issue, when the game is pretty much perfectly fine. Uncharted 2 is one of the highest rated games on metacritic to date, but that didn't stop people from trash talking it from every angle... They were, and still are wrong.

I'm making my statements somewhat general in certain parts of my post, to make it apply to everyone reading it. I'm not just typing at you, Icemael. So don't take it like I'm saying all this, and viciously jabbing my finger at you, and only you.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#91  Edited By Bouke

After playing the demo i watched the quicklook which played out different in both scences, then when i played it myself. That is pretty awesome, that in such a short demo you can have adifferent experience. No i want to go back and find out if i can get the P.I. killed.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Icemael
    @MAST:  @MAST said:

" @Icemael said:

"Discredit my criticisms as "made up" if you will, and try convincing me that a game I see substantial flaws in is "nearly perfect"; at the end of the day, the only difference between what you're doing and what the people you call "crazy" and "fanboys" are doing is that they are critical, whereas you are protective. "

My problem is you say this game has "serious flaws" which is a completely sensational, over-exaggeration. I was trying to humor you with a debate, but all I really have to do is point out the games metacritic score. It averages a 9 out of 10. No game with "serious flaws" as you said, would ever average a 9/10. Hell, the lowest score is 7/10, and even that is too high for a game with "serious flaws.""
    The old "the reviewers like it, so that means everyone who doesn't is wrong" routine, eh? There are plenty of games with high Metacritic scores I would consider heavily flawed. The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion(a Metacritic average of 94), Mass Effect(91), Grand Theft Auto IV(98) and Metal Gear Solid 4(94), to mention a few.

It also seems like our definition of serious flaws is different. A game with serious flaws doesn't have to be unplayable; in fact, it can be a perfectly decent game. Take Mass Effect. It looks great, has a nice soundtrack, a good story, and the best interactive dialogue I've ever seen in a game. The combat, however, is shit. Does that ruin the entire game? Not at all. Is it a serious flaw? Hell yes.

Oh, and I couldn't help but notice that you seem to think I'm trying to tell people not to buy the game. I'm not. I'm saying the camera and controls aren't good, and I stand by that, but I can't determine how much those issues will bother others, and -- pay attention, because this is key -- neither can you. To use an analogy similar to yours: let's say there's a book with text so small, I can't read it. Most people, however, can. I say "this is a serious problem"; you say "no, it isn't a problem at all". Who is right? I'm obviously right, because it is a problem to some. A problem doesn't have to affect everyone to be a problem. You, on the other hand, are telling the minority to whom it is a problem "no, you are wrong, it's not a problem", which is wrong, because it is a problem.

You can say "this isn't a problem for me", or "this probably won't be a problem to most people", or "this isn't a problem for the reviewers", and you'll be right. But what you're doing -- saying "I don't experience this problem, so that means it doesn't exist; you must be exaggerating it or making it up" -- is essentially telling people what they should and shouldn't be enjoying, and that's just not right.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By xyzygy

I originally posted this on the Quick Look, but I suppose it fits better here: 

I liked the demo but the only thing that made me wonder was Jayden's voice acting... oh my god... Scott Shelby isn't bad, and Lauren is terrible as well (like what the hell kind of accent is it, she goes back and forth from it and it's kind of awkwardly done) but Jayden's voice is just absolutely horrendous!! I could have swore while I was playing that some of his lines were said by different people!  

But I played the demo twice, I thought the Crime Scene was kind of boring because I didn't actually have to look for anything, just put on the glasses and spam R1. It kind of takes away the purpose of searching for evidence. The first time I did the fight I did terribly and Shelby was all beaten up, and the second time I got it all perfectly, but there was no difference in the outcome, so that was kind of disappointing as well. 

As far as the controls go, I found them pretty clunky. I was always kind of getting stuck face-on at a wall, but only if I was really careful could I navigate without hassle. It's not that it was hard or anything, it's just that walking requires a lot of patience, something a game shouldn't make such a big deal from. 

Definitely just going to be a rent for me, but it will be a good rent. I can't see myself spending 80$ on a 6 hour game, no sirree.    

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#94  Edited By ProfessorEss

After playin the demo I think I may have just gone from "I'll borrow it from a friend" to "Probably won't bother even borrowing it".

That woman zipping back and forth between the bed and the window, in and out of the camera is exactly the type of glitch this game just can not afford to ship with. Hopefully it's fixed in the final version. The big fight was kinda fun but all in all, not a very good demo in my opinion.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Von

I loved the demo. I found the voice acting OK, since I've played a LOT of other adventure games where the voices were outright terrible. I also had no problems with the movement system, and the camera angles never bothered me. I really can't see why it is such an issue for some people? I mean, Resident Evil got way worse camera angles (and movement) and you couldn't change it as you can in Heavy Rain... but everything is subjective I guess.

Eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered copy. Can't wait to delve into this mystery plot.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By harris

I really enjoyed it. The expressions were realistic enough to make the characters truly interesting. I know it will never happen, but I would love an endurance run of this game.

Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
    raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

The demo was amazing. So...why did I click on this thread...?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ghostiet

I am an idiot. Somehow, I always guess that a topic with an opinion in the title is going to be utter shit, and I still enter them, threatning myself with banging my head over the desk.

This thread was also the case. Fuckballs.

Lyniz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Lyniz

the demo is fucking awesome, your opinion is just wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.