Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hideo Kojima

Person » credited in 60 games

Hideo Kojima is a game developer, producer, and director who has spent the bulk of his career making games in the Metal Gear series. He formerly ran his own studio at Konami called Kojima Productions.

Kojima apparently being reinserted into Konami lore

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In what seems to have been the quietest spat in video games for a while, the phrase "A Hideo Kojima Game" is quietly making a return to Metal Gear Solid products, along with references to him on the pages for stuff like ZoE HD.

Check it out for yourself: https://www.konami.com/mgs/metal-gear-solid-the-legacy-collection/?age-verified=db53adc138

Article with a bit more: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/metal_gear_solid_5_the_phantom_pain/news/a_hideo_kojima_game_is_konami_reinserting_references_to_kojima_in_metal_gear_solid_branding.html

Just what the hell is going on?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ThunderSlash

That is some classic backpedalling.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh man, I am envisioning Kojima threatening to quit over something, then Konami bigwigs going "Fine, fuck you, we'll take your name off of everything and nobody will care", then OH MAN ALL OF THE MEDIA AND FANS TOTALLY CARE AND THIS WILL SINK FUTURE MGS GAMES, then the Konami bigwigs blink first and give Kojima whatever he was asking for.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The April Fool's joke is that they're inserting his name back.

Yeah I don't know, I think the damage is done at this point, whether it's Konami's reputation with many MGS fans or with Kojima, I don't think there's any chance of Kojima staying at the end of the year.

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By cozmicaztaway

That's nice, I guess. Not sure what it means on the whole. I kind of want him to quit, to be honest. Kojima-san doesn't have to make Metal Gear anymore.

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Well, then. I'm kind of split about this. The idea of Kojima moving on to make brand new games, entirely unrelated to MGS is an exciting one. On the other hand, I really do not trust Konami to handle that franchise without our dear god at the helm. That goes double for the Silent Hills project. I also feel that it'd be highly unfair for Konami to seize the Fox engine.

If nothing else, I'm glad they're giving credit where it's due. Removing his name from the branding of these games seemed like a very childish thing to do. It was just in poor taste, as far as strategic moves go.

What a big, wet fart this entire scandal has been.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm starting to think Konami thought "eh, we pulled this shit with Yoshitaka Murayama back in 2002 and no one gave a fuck, corporate policy versus humans always wins anyway" and then realized that the guy in question is so big that if he willed it into existence, he could probably remove "Konami" from every product.

Seriously, I know it's a tired topic, but this entire affair struck me as the classic "clueless Japanese corporation" syndrome - some bigwig being completely oblivious to the fact that people care, especially in the West, and going with it anyway. It's like the FF7 rerelease all over again.

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Konami should also consider the potential that crowed funding can provide for a man like Kojima. Keiji Inafune was able to show that he didn't need the power of a giant publishing name to create something that fans want. I feel like Kojima has enough creative influence that he could easily go to Kickstarter with his next idea and get funded almost immediately.

Capcom just about lost all their talent because they split off into their own successful properties (Platinum Games, Comcept, Tango Gameworks, etc) and I feel like that is hurting them in the end. Konami can just as easily end up the same way and I think it's possible that they might have considered this scenario. Either that or they just want to avoid bad press, but I'd like to think the former.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I am envisioning Kojima threatening to quit over something, then Konami bigwigs going "Fine, fuck you, we'll take your name off of everything and nobody will care", then OH MAN ALL OF THE MEDIA AND FANS TOTALLY CARE AND THIS WILL SINK FUTURE MGS GAMES, then the Konami bigwigs blink first and give Kojima whatever he was asking for.

that would be pretty funny. +1 for hideo trolljima :]

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I always hoped they would make a ZOE 3 but now that Kojima left I dunno. At least he gets his name back on stuff where his input actually mattered.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably saw how popular the Konami penthouse was during the last day of Playstation Home with the MGS Peacewalker poster.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played us like a damn fiddle

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

Played us like a damn fiddle

A dud?!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I always hoped they would make a ZOE 3 but now that Kojima left I dunno. At least he gets his name back on stuff where his input actually mattered.

I would've wanted them to do a ZOE 3 with a different guy at the helm and then just let Kojima make something entirely new again.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ghostiet: Yup. And that's why Konami probably isn't going to be around for much longer (at least not in the video game space, anyway).

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually hope he is sticking with Konami. I think his insight helps to make the MG games the awesomeness that they are.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I wonder if there was something contractual someone either over looked or that was reinstated. If this was backpedaling then why isn't it a more public showing? If you wanted fans to see you weren't erasing Kojima from everything he ever touched, why not have a press release?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mikemcn

Kojima should go do some other things, he's a great talent and shouldn't be tied to MGS forever.

He should go join UBI and make a good AC game with Kojima nonsense.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

One of the most beloved creators in video game history has having his named removed from his games, and they didn't expect people to be pissed about it? Konami has some dumb people working for them to not see this coming. Leave his name of the games he was involved with.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Despite Kojima being the butt of many jokes for how ridiculous his games are, I'm glad we could all come together to tell Konami this is complete and utter bullshit

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be without his name it could impact sells or maybe kojima could have legal case to fight if they are too zealous in removing his name from everything he worked on. But i don't think they patched things up if you will.

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn: Or he could join 343 and make halo, think about it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like one of those confusing/back-and-forth things that I'll back away from until MGS5 comes out.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like a lot of drama.

Like the David Hayter snit, I'm not convinced I understand it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

April Fools'!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: It's Konami realizing that they are hurting some potential sales of Metal Gear by erasing Kojima from the products like that. They are hoping to put it back before anyone notices. Slimy crap if you ask me!

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@gaspower said:

@humanity said:

I would've wanted them to do a ZOE 3 with a different guy at the helm and then just let Kojima make something entirely new again.

Kojima only produced the ZOE games, he was never the director or the writer for any of them. He was involved as much as he was for Lords of Shadow, which is to say almost none.

kevino13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the removal of Kojima's name was all just a knee-jerk reaction by some higher-up management folk over Kojima leaving, and when they saw the backlash they reversed it. Or the marketing people threw a shit-fest at the reaction and convinced the right people to change it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@humanity said:

Kojima only produced the ZOE games, he was never the director or the writer for any of them. He was involved as much as he was for Lords of Shadow, which is to say almost none.

I suppose I meant Kojima more as him and his team. Yoji Shinkawa did the mech designs for ZOE2 and I know a bunch of people from Kojimas team helped work on the look and gameplay.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's definitely a moral underpinning of intellectual property regarding having his name on or off of the games. Not only that, but the KojiPro logo, although that section of Konami technically does not exist anymore.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

obviously the lalelulalo at it again...

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GaspoweR

@zippedbinders: I would think that he was more involved with those games compared to Lords of Shadow but you're right that he wasn't the creative lead so I stand corrected.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

lol, I could totally see this.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@humanity said:

Good producers can save and transform a project, they aren't "movie producers" who just write a check/get a big check most of the time. Not even close. Having the same title is just happenstance.

Kojima was a consultant for Lords of Shadow, especially in the last half of its development, where it was hugely overhauled. There's almost 0 writing out there about his involvement, so no one can say what he contributed, other than that he was brought in at the time Konami said to the whole team "save it or trash it".

He was a principal early designer for ZOE, and worked with Shinkawa to design the aesthetic of the game. I'd say those are a pretty big deal, never mind that the game itself was his idea. There's a reason most every press release ever put out by Konami said ZOE was *created* by Hideo Kojima.

All of that said...

I'd be interested in a Metal Gear or a ZoE or Policenauts or whatever, made with or without HK.

ON TOPIC

This is actually a little crazy, right? I mean it seems like silly news but what on earth is happening at Konami??

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Humanity

@geraltitude: I never knew it got as dire as "save it or scrap it" but I have to say Lords of Shadows is one of the more underappreciated games of last generation. Often referenced as a simple God of War clone and not given the time of day because of it's rather lackluster early chapters, the game really gets a lot better past the first major boss. It's a shame the sequel didn't have someone to steer the team onto better waters but it did satisfy my desire to play more of that world in it's own weird way.

I would love to see ZOE3 because I really enjoyed ZOE2 a whole lot, but without Shinkawa for the designs and Kojima for the direction I don't know if we won't get a Lords of Shadow 2 situation - competent, but nothing to write home about. That Lords of Shadow 2 talent was completely squandered by what was later revealed to be extremely bad team leadership. Their concept artists were just out of this world - absolutely beautiful environmental art.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think it's them just not being assholes about it. If they are going to move forward without him for Metal Gear games okay, but keep his name where it was before at the least.

Don't want to piss off fans before V comes out. Maybe the reaction played a big factor, I'm not sure.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@humanity: In fact I remember wrong about the "save it or scrap it part". They cancelled it. But, Mercury Steam *countered* that cancel with an impressive demo - not only were the bosses impressed but Hideo Kojima himself emerged from the shadows to pledge his allegiance to the cause. Read this if you want to more / not read my version of it. Some history about LoS came out at the time of the sequel's release and then after its poor reception. Good number of not happy developers I think. What's that - you don't remember the first gate? Castlevania gate.

As to Kojima's involvement: said angry developments have stated that he most just showed up a few times, looked at stuff, and signed papers. Not much. Reading interviews/writing from higher ups makes it pretty clear Kojima was basically just making a symbolic gesture to help buy the game faith. Maybe it's still the case or maybe it's not but his word mattered at Konami then/now.

According to a book about Robert Carlyle, it was Hideo Kojima who asked Mercury Steam to give Gabriel Belmont a more heroic look, thus the devs redesigned the character to some extent.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GaspoweR

@geraltitude: So basically despite barely having any input or not much input, he pretty much just helped the team buy themselves more time to finish the game? I call that a pretty awesome gesture on Kojima's part.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Brendan

Well, nothing is known about the situation and apparently nothing has come of it, so... whatever I guess.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my mind I'm imagining film fan Kojima pleased that he added that clause in his contract giving him an above-the-title credit like a film director... also the "D'oh!" face on the Konami dudes having re-read the contract.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think you're using "lore" properly; threw me for a bit.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka said:

I don't think you're using "lore" properly; threw me for a bit.

It was a dumb joke on my part, based on how Konami seemed to try to retcon the history of Kojima's involvement as much as they could.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami must seriously be run by idiots

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well then, I guess did right in not caring the first time around since it seems to be gaining equilibrium once again. Konami seems chaotic these days.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Business is business.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet: Especially in the West? Not sure why people are bringing that up.

natdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By natdog

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.