Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

Kaos On The Homefront

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    This aggression will not stand.
    THQ-owned developer Kaos Studios has left behind the big multiplayer battlefields of its last game, Frontlines, to explore cinematic single-player action in its new shooter, Homefront. The game takes place 20 years from now in a time when North Korea has successfully invaded the United States--and you, of course, will play a part in the resistance against the occupation. THQ seems to be pushing the American setting as a major marketing point, which I'm guessing will push nationalistic buttons for a good number of players.

At any rate, the game is looking quite good, as these sorts of explosive action-movie shooters go. The demo consisted of some freedom fighters walking around a base camp somewhere in Colorado, talking about their plans before having to fight off a sudden attack by the Korean military. There were several moments of massive level destruction--parts of buildings getting blown apart and such--but Kaos reps were candid about the fact that these are scripted into the levels in specific places, not the result of a generalized destructible geometry system.

Homefront does have one interesting piece of tech that ought to be transparent to the average player, if it does its job correctly. Kaos calls it a "drama engine," and it's a system designed to keep the big set-piece action moments in the player's face at all times. The example they pointed out during the demo consisted of firing a rocket launcher at an incoming jeep, launching it into the air and making it skid by just feet from the player. The reps on hand commented that the drama engine would make sure things like that skidding jeep always missed the player by a narrow margin, to keep the tension high and the action exciting.

Actually, Homefront has one more claim to fame: it's story is being handled by John Milius, the guy who wrote and directed the Cold War-era homeland-invasion classic Red Dawn. That's surely a feather in Homefront's cap; if Milius can't pull off a good story about America being invaded by foreign powers, I doubt anyone can.
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    THQ-owned developer Kaos Studios has left behind the big multiplayer battlefields of its last game, Frontlines, to explore cinematic single-player action in its new shooter, Homefront. The game takes place 20 years from now in a time when North Korea has successfully invaded the United States--and you, of course, will play a part in the resistance against the occupation. THQ seems to be pushing the American setting as a major marketing point, which I'm guessing will push nationalistic buttons for a good number of players.

At any rate, the game is looking quite good, as these sorts of explosive action-movie shooters go. The demo consisted of some freedom fighters walking around a base camp somewhere in Colorado, talking about their plans before having to fight off a sudden attack by the Korean military. There were several moments of massive level destruction--parts of buildings getting blown apart and such--but Kaos reps were candid about the fact that these are scripted into the levels in specific places, not the result of a generalized destructible geometry system.

Homefront does have one interesting piece of tech that ought to be transparent to the average player, if it does its job correctly. Kaos calls it a "drama engine," and it's a system designed to keep the big set-piece action moments in the player's face at all times. The example they pointed out during the demo consisted of firing a rocket launcher at an incoming jeep, launching it into the air and making it skid by just feet from the player. The reps on hand commented that the drama engine would make sure things like that skidding jeep always missed the player by a narrow margin, to keep the tension high and the action exciting.

Actually, Homefront has one more claim to fame: it's story is being handled by John Milius, the guy who wrote and directed the Cold War-era homeland-invasion classic Red Dawn. That's surely a feather in Homefront's cap; if Milius can't pull off a good story about America being invaded by foreign powers, I doubt anyone can.
    ponyslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ponyslayer

Wolverines!

morden2261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By morden2261

Avenge me, boys!  AVENNNNNNNNGE MEEEEEEEE!!!

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

Looks like it could be a cool game

Dropp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dropp

I really liked Frontlines: FOW. So i'm excited to see more of this game.

Avatar image for chickendoughnut
    chickendoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chickendoughnut

I think the scenario of this game is completely shitaculous. It's so stupid it seems like fun

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By MeatSim

Russia or China ok, but North Korea taking us over? come on.

KaosMitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosMitch

Actually the game has multiplayer as well. We'll be releasing more information in the coming weeks/months.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Colonel_Fury

If Charlie Sheen ends up doing voice work for this game, I'm calling shenanigans.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By weltal
    @ponyslayer said:
    " Wolverines! "

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

The last time I played a game involving the occupation of America, it was Freedom Fighters, and that game was FUCKING AWESOME!

I can only imagine that this will be the same.  I really hope that they have some kind of multiplayer component to this.  Maps set in America would be fucking awesome!!!
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Meatsim: I had the same reaction on the first article for this.  Said they'd have trouble invading a salad bowl.

I'm just waiting for the game to have a part in the beginning where the NRA gets banned, which actually allows Korea the loophole to invade.  Oh!  We are so foolish!

He did the original Conan the Barbarian, though, so I can't bring myself to hate the guy.
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By killdave

Fallout prequel, awesome :p

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Interested.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mrnitropb
    Brad said:
    it's story is being handled by John Milius, the guy who wrote and directed the Cold War-era homeland-invasion classic Red Dawn.
    Fucking sold.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

he also wrote apocalypse now. that guy is a great writer. 

erik_wolff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By erik_wolff

Now this is the way to remake/update a classic movie. 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hatking
    @jakob187:
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who remembers the glory of Freedom Fighters.  I really hope this is as good...but I don't think it could be.
    Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By imayellowfellow

why/how would we get invaded by north korea....

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By senrat

North Korea could never ever successfully invade the united states no matter when or where or how it happens. The story is going to be about as realistic as pink unicorns invading earth.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kazona

Ok that last part about such a famed writer doing the story for this game totally sold me. 

ohmagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ohmagnus
    @jakob187:
    loved that game
    "OOH that ones getting away!"

drama engine sounds neat. wanna try it out
    Avatar image for the_purgatory_station
    the_purgatory_station

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like Red Dawn and i like Kaos Studios aka ex. Trauma Studios; the people behind the Desert Combat mod and i'm guessing BF 2142 concept tech.

want to see more.

MrSpaceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrSpaceMan

looks awesome

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    Wow, I had this written off until I read this, particularly the end of the article. Red Dawn? I'm sold, we need more shit like that.

@senrat said:
    "North Korea could never ever successfully invade the united states no matter when or where or how it happens. The story is going to be about as realistic as pink unicorns invading earth. "

Sigh... People like you bug me. They get all high and mighty, assuming that the US is godly in its power and could never be taken down. Weakness lies in strength. Everything dies, every empire falls, and every man eventually learns how it feels to be wrong. N. Korea is one of the biggest potential threats posed at the United States. If they get the ability to put out long range nuclear missles, they could be a real pain in the ass. I'm not saying that North Korea  will actually successfully invade the US. Just that you need to respect the Koreans atleast enough to realize that they have the ability to do us great harm, if they should wish to. Thinking our enemies can't hurt us is almost as ignorant as thinking our enemies could never be allies. It's not magic and unicorns and knights with flaming swords. It might be a low chance, but its a chance, and if there is a possible path in time, then it can be realisticly described via some form of media medium.

Crazy people+nukes=dangerous.
    sneakysnake128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sneakysnake128

As long as we keep sending Hollywood movies to Kim Jong Il, he won't attack.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Meatsim said:
    " Russia or China ok, but North Korea taking us over? come on. "
    Haha, they can't even fire their missiles properly.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RsistncE

Huge fan of brad's writing. Really intelligent.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Media_Master

and then it really happens...

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @Meatsim: 
    @senrat:

its a game guys. come on. and russia has a full scale invasion of america after a CIA agent blows away an airport full of people. or a massive viral outbreak on manhattan island destroys the whole fucking town and the whole thing ends on an aircraft carrier with a giant monkey vs the guyver. personally im glad to see a game the doesnt involve america VS russia. its make believe boys. your all reading too far into something that is purely designed for entertainment and not a political campaign advertisement.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pweidman

This game has so much potential to be awesome.  Can't wait to see/hear more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.