Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Is the Frozen Wilds a must play for fans of Horizon Zero Dawn?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Is the Frozen Wilds a must play for fans of Horizon Zero Dawn? (88 votes)

Yep, it really is. 17%
    Maybe. It just depends I guess. 14%
    No, I wouldn't consider it a must play even for those that liked the main game. 8%
    I don't know. Let's see what others had to say! 59%

I liked the main game when I played it last year (despite any issues I had with it, it was still one of the best games last year to me), but once I did most of the stuff in it, I fell off it pretty fast and didn't give too much thought to play Frozen Wilds. I'm currently reinstalling the game to perhaps finish every little side thing (which means, some of the collectibles). Also, I played the game on release but not before reviews obviously and I felt the story was hyped up enough to an extent that my expectations were too high. Though it was good, it didn't meet my expectations since it didn't do what I was expecting, and just wasn't as unique as I thought it would be.

The gameplay was great, but once I explored all of the world with most if not all the upgrades, it became somewhat repetitive and a lot of the enemies that used to be fun to fight was more or less unnecessary to engage in. I also felt that the way you interact with other characters was good, but fell just short of doing what Bioware does best with characters and relationships. That's kind of what it came off as to me: similar to what Bioware does, but not quite as deep.

Lastly, and off-topic (a topic brought up by me and others already in another thread), I still plan on getting an Xbox One X and a 4K TV, should I also save up to get a PS4 Pro whenever I get a 4K TV to appreciate what games like Horizon Zero Dawn have to offer visually? I hear we're still a few years away from another PlayStation console.

EDIT! - So, I know I didn't get a lot of input (thanks to burncoat and Barrock for the replies) but I went ahead and bought it. That said, you can still give your opinion on whether it's worth getting since (or so it seems) not many people on here played it, and though it hasn't been asked before, perhaps for future reference people can come on here and take a gander if they're curious themselves and don't know if they should get it. The off-topic question of whether to get a PS4 Pro specifically is still something I'm curious about.

• 
    burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you beat the main game and weren't left wanting more, I don't think Frozen Wilds is for you. I was full of wanting more of the world of HZD so I got enjoyment out of the Frozen Wilds for that reason alone. Combat wise, some of the new enemies were leagues more difficult than any of the base game enemies (though it didn't help that I was coming into the Frozen Wilds from months of not playing HZD and playing Breath of the Wild) and there are some unique mechanics specific to if you have "end-game" armor or not. But I enjoyed the story and it seemed to solidify and flesh out some theories I had when I beat the main game. It could have used a bit less snow if that sounds weird? I felt like every time I was in a neat area there was a flurry going 24/7 and I never got the time to enjoy the environment because I couldn't see anything.

For your last bit, I'd recommend upgrading when you feel like it. I jumped in on the PS4 with the Pro so I can't say anything about upgrading current consoles, but as somebody that had access to an XBox One from launch and don't see a reason to get an X, I'd hold off until you get a good deal or you see a game you absolutely want to enjoy in the best setting possible. While a PS5 isn't on the horizon yet, we're still at least 2-3 years from a successor console or at least an announcement of one. I tend to go a few years past my graphics cards' "lifespan" anyways so I tend to be on the more cautious side. But if you have the cash to spare and nothing else to spend it on, there's nothing wrong with giving yourself a boost if you want it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: Yeah, I collected the best armor in the game, and I also am fully upgraded. I have to work in an hour so I couldn't play for long, but I played for about ten minutes (the game, while still beautiful, looks a little worse than I remember actually, which is weird). I wasn't wanting a lot more from the main game, but the DLC obviously has more in it from a gameplay, setting and story perspective. I want more from the series, I just wasn't so into the main game that I wanted to seek out every little collectible. I will probably get it honestly, but I'm not 100 percent sure of that. I'm going to explore more of the main game and see what I missed. Also, I'd also be upgrading from both a base Xbox One and PS4 as I have both. Xbox One has the enhanced games, including back compat games which are enticing to me. I didn't really want the PS4 Pro; I thought I'd simply settle on the X if I get that, but there are still games like The Last of Us Part II coming out at some point, and a handful of games already out that might be worth checking out. The PS4 Pro would mainly be for the first party titles because comparing PS4 Pro and X third-party titles, the more powerful X seems to triumph every time.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I recommend it. There are some interesting enemies, some neat new weapons, and some cool new outfits. It's also a decent length but not super padded out.

And I wouldn't buy any consoles until after E3, just in case a new SKU or discount is announced.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: Yeah, that's true. E3 is soon now, so I'll definitely be waiting just in case. It also gives me more time to save up as much as I can so I know I won't break the bank so to speak.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I bought Frozen Wilds, I (even though I know I didn't do everything) am surprised at how much I have left to do in the main game. I didn't even uncover all campfires. I did the majority of them, but there are several on the map that I hadn't, and awkwardly, a few of those that I missed led to side missions! I put 58 hours in, which doesn't necessarily surprise me, but I did think I put more in. I don't remember the game having a game timer before. I played Horizon and Nioh back-to-back, and I originally put 70 hours into Nioh before I started playing Horizon, and when I finished Horizon I thought I put the same amount of time in, but I guess not. Anyways, I have a lot left to do in the main game before I do the DLC. Plus, the DLC added some upgrades. I just reached level 50 last night. Eh... Maybe it's a waste of money, but I am also now seriously considering buying a PS4 Pro when/if it goes on sale. I'll give it a little time.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this game when it first came out. Played it for like 10 hours, but then stopped playing for some reason and never picked it back up.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cerberus3dog

I'll give my two cents, I really liked Horizon but I don't consider Frozen Wilds a must buy. It isn't remarkable in gameplay, environment, or story. I found the gameplay additions to be underwhelming, I didn't use most of the new skills or weapons. The most worthwhile additions are the harder beasts to fight and stealthing around these new towers that repair them in this AoE field.

The environment is large enough for the amount of time you're running around the DLC (around 10 hours for me). The Frozen Wilds is very white and grey and dull looking IMO, visually the original game has cooler and more varied environments to run around in. However, there is some cool night scenery, awesome vistas and background imagery, and unique indoor environments to spice things up.

As for story, in the base game what I liked the most were the sci-fi aspects of the world building, learning about the collapse of the old world, Lance Reddick, and Aloy's connection to Elizabeth Sobeck. I didn't care much for any of the tribes like the Nora and their primal mysticism for example. In The Frozen Wilds, you get less of everything I liked while the focus of the writing is largely focused on the Banuk tribe and their culture and beliefs. There are all the elements I like in this DLC, just not as much as I would have preferred.

I can't say I regret my purchase however. It was a nice journey for what it was, The Frozen Wilds was just not everything I hoped it would be.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something I was curious about when I had played the game was where the game took place. I was guessing throughout the game as the landscape would change. Someone pointed out that it was Utah. Not knowing much about Utah myself aside from it being ubiquitous with Mormon's if you will and Salt Lake City having the Winter Olympics in 2002, it was unknown to me that that's where it took place. I was just reading the wiki, it to my surprise actually does take place in a few other states, around Utah, like Wyoming, Colorado, and Arizona. Something I perhaps totally forgot about since I originally played it, was when the game took place. As I explore the setting and do the vantage points, the place looks like at least a thousand years into the future. The game near the end takes place in 3040.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.