Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hotline Miami

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

A top-down shooter game with an 80s aesthetic, a brutal style, and a thoughtful, slightly surreal philosophy underlying the story about the nature of violence.

Can't believe they did this.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShockD

No custom key mappings. So basically the game forces me to play with WASD controls on my AZERTY keyboard. And doesn't provide a clue on how to change the controls. Thanks a bunch Dennaton. And no, I won't download a third party software for key rebinding which I'll have to launch every time I want to play the game.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Get a gamepad.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shookems

Maybe you can change the key bindings in the config file?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

It's sad that we live in a time when being able to rebind the keys is a box feature and not something that's just in every game. Just as sad as the idiotic idea that was posted above. Buying a stupid game pad shouldn't be required to play a PC game. That would be like buying a game on the PS3/360 only to find out when you got home that you needed a kinect or move controller to play it and there was no label on the box saying as such.

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ekami

It's not really that sad.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ghostiet

What? I had to check this and I opened my game. I just changed my movement controls from WASD to IJKL and it works. I'm on version 2.0.0.4 apparently and all I had to do is press Enter at the Controls menu and press a button I want to change it to.

You can also change them by changing "keyboard.dat" in your game folder.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By kraznor

@Ghostiet said:

What? I had to check this and I opened my game. I just changed my movement controls from WASD to IJKL and it works.

This man speaks truth, you can rebind your keys. I know because I accidentally set everything to ESC once and had to delete those config files so I could play it again.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

Stop being french?

Why do so many french-speaking countries have this layout anyway? The rest of the world gets along just fine with QWERTY.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Kraznor said:

@Ghostiet said:

What? I had to check this and I opened my game. I just changed my movement controls from WASD to IJKL and it works.

This man speaks truth, you can rebind your keys. I know because I accidentally set everything to ESC once and had to delete those config files so I could play it again.

CRISIS AVERTED

/thread

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Kraznor said:

@Ghostiet said:

Can we get some confirmation from the OP that this has been resolved? @ShockD: ??

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

@crusader8463 said:

It's sad that we live in a time when being able to rebind the keys is a box feature and not something that's just in every game. Just as sad as the idiotic idea that was posted above. Buying a stupid game pad shouldn't be required to play a PC game. That would be like buying a game on the PS3/360 only to find out when you got home that you needed a kinect or move controller to play it and there was no label on the box saying as such.

But some games and whole genres simply play better with a gamepad. Would you like it if no PC gamer, ever, got to properly play a racing game because he didn't play with a controller or steering wheel? Or a fighting game? Or a Devil May Cry-like action game? It would be like trying to play an RTS with a gamepad, which Halo Wars proved was possible but it's very clunky and unwieldy and it's preferable to use the control scheme it was designed from the ground up for.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By crusader8463

@believer258:I would like it if the dev's took the time to make a game playable on the default control scheme the platform is made with. For PC that's KBM. As for the gamepad is better for some genres argument, I just don't agree with that. I grew up playing 2d side controllers like Duke Nukem, Jazz Jack Rabbit, and Command Keen with nothing but a keyboard with zero problems. I beat Super Meatboy with a KBM. I tried it with a controller and couldn't get past the first zone. I knew a guy that grew up playing racing games with a KBM and is super awesome at them but can not for the life of himself play them on a controller or a steering wheel. Set him down with a keyboard and mouse and he wins races like a pro.

My point is that people making your argument are only making it because that's what makes sense for them. It's what they grew up with because they are comfortable with a controller. Not everyone is. For people like myself, and my above mentioned friend, a KBM is what's best, and we play games with ease that everyone screams and moans that can only be played with a controller. It drives me nuts when people make blanket statements like you can only play certain genres with a controller and anything else is heresy when they are just talking about themselves.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShockD
    @Sweep said:

@Kraznor said:

@Ghostiet said:

Can we get some confirmation from the OP that this has been resolved? @ShockD: ??

I still can't change them from the menu (maybe it hasn't self updated???). Editing the keyboard file worked thought, thanks :)  Didn't really think of that.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

@crusader8463 said:

Well it's just one of those things you should own for a lot of different kind of games, for how much they cost and how much they enhance playing games they're really worth buying.

Anyway if you ask me the whole world should use QUERTY. I like standards.

Maybe ini files hold the key?

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShockD
    @MikkaQ said:

@crusader8463 said:

Well it's just one of those things you should own for a lot of different kind of games, for how much they cost and how much they enhance playing games they're really worth buying.

I'm currently gaming on a laptop as much as that can be called gaming. A gamepad shouldn't be necessary to play PC games. Undebatable.

I agree on the QWERTY standard statement. But it's not my fault it was cheaper in France so I got it from there.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coakroach

Life is tough

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

@ShockD said:

@MikkaQ said:

@crusader8463 said:

I'm currently gaming on a laptop as much as that can be called gaming. A gamepad shouldn't be necessary to play PC games. Undebatable. I agree on the QWERTY standard statement. But it's not my fault it was cheaper in France so I got it from there.

Wait wait wait, you type with QWERTY on an AZERTY keyboard?

I don't know if the controller thing is undebatable because there are racing games that become unplayable without proper analog acceleration and braking. Flight games with a keyboard are also really useless, and flight games are almost a unique genre to PC gaming. Sure, that's a specialty controller, but that's still basically a requirement to enjoy them even if they technically come with keyboard support.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Man, PC gaming can be such a fucking hassle. Started the game today, only to find out that it progressively slows down on me all the time. So I can do one chapter on semi-regular speed, but then afterwards everything is like in slow motion. Speed only returns to normal for a single chapter if I quit the game, but then it slows down again for the rest. It's unplayable for me in this state.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShockD
    @MikkaQ: If they're unplayable without a gamepad I suppose we're talking about a bad PC port here, not a PC game. A reasonable developer would make the keys sensible enough.
    Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Bartman3010

It was made in Game Maker. A lot of issues can be attributed to Game Maker. You can do some impressive stuff with it, but in terms of optimization, Game Maker can't handle it.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

@ShockD said:

@MikkaQ: If they're unplayable without a gamepad I suppose we're talking about a bad PC port here, not a PC game. A reasonable developer would make the keys sensible enough.

It has nothing to do with sensibility. Some games just need analog controls which KB/M don't provide.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShockD
    @LiquidPrince said:

@ShockD said:

It has nothing to do with sensibility. Some games just need analog controls which KB/M don't provide.

Yeah, well those aren't PC games in most cases. The fact that they're ported to the PC platform doesn't genuinely make them PC games.

Anyhow I think we're turning this into off-topic now.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@ShockD said:

@Sweep said:

@Kraznor said:

@Ghostiet said:

I still can't change them from the menu (maybe it hasn't self updated???). Editing the keyboard file worked thought, thanks :) Didn't really think of that.

Okey dokey, in which case I'm going to consider this matter resolved and close the thread.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.