Infinity Blade II Exists

Posted by Alex (2368 posts) -

People around here tend to get their feathers in a ruffle whenever we mention iOS games as "news," but when it comes to Infinity Blade, Epic Games and Chair Entertainment's critically acclaimed and massively downloaded iOS action game, any and all pertinent news is officially worth risking any and all feather ruffling over. Sorry, it's a big deal. Take your feathery behind and go sit down in the corner until this post is finished, if you want to be a crank about it.

I can already hear my phone battery sobbing uncontrollably.

Now then, onto the news. Infinity Blade II was just announced. Kind of a big thing, right?

The announcement came at today's generally snooze-worthy Apple keynote, in which the iPhone 4S was revealed. As part of Apple's suite of iPhone-related announcements, representatives from Epic came up to unveil the sequel, which will once again be developed by Chair. A press release that went out immediately following the announcement promised a variety of new weapons and areas, "deep role-playing elements," access to cloud saves via iCloud, and even some more socially focused challenges. Though multiplayer isn't suddenly available this time around, but the game will include online challenges targeted at collaborative play.

And, of course, the graphics will be really pretty. Unreal Engine 3, and whatnot.

Infinity Blade II is currently slated to hit the Apple Store on December 1, and will work on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, so long as the first game worked on it too. There is a trailer which I imagine we'll have up sometime shortly, but in the meantime, here's another screenshot to gawk at for a bit, if you're into that sort of thing. If not, feel free to go back to mocking iOS as a place for lousy casual fare that no one in their right mind would ever waste their time with. It's cool, I'm too busy adding floors to my Tiny Tower to care.

#1 Posted by Alex (2368 posts) -

People around here tend to get their feathers in a ruffle whenever we mention iOS games as "news," but when it comes to Infinity Blade, Epic Games and Chair Entertainment's critically acclaimed and massively downloaded iOS action game, any and all pertinent news is officially worth risking any and all feather ruffling over. Sorry, it's a big deal. Take your feathery behind and go sit down in the corner until this post is finished, if you want to be a crank about it.

I can already hear my phone battery sobbing uncontrollably.

Now then, onto the news. Infinity Blade II was just announced. Kind of a big thing, right?

The announcement came at today's generally snooze-worthy Apple keynote, in which the iPhone 4S was revealed. As part of Apple's suite of iPhone-related announcements, representatives from Epic came up to unveil the sequel, which will once again be developed by Chair. A press release that went out immediately following the announcement promised a variety of new weapons and areas, "deep role-playing elements," access to cloud saves via iCloud, and even some more socially focused challenges. Though multiplayer isn't suddenly available this time around, but the game will include online challenges targeted at collaborative play.

And, of course, the graphics will be really pretty. Unreal Engine 3, and whatnot.

Infinity Blade II is currently slated to hit the Apple Store on December 1, and will work on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, so long as the first game worked on it too. There is a trailer which I imagine we'll have up sometime shortly, but in the meantime, here's another screenshot to gawk at for a bit, if you're into that sort of thing. If not, feel free to go back to mocking iOS as a place for lousy casual fare that no one in their right mind would ever waste their time with. It's cool, I'm too busy adding floors to my Tiny Tower to care.

#2 Edited by Wraxend (568 posts) -

Cool looks pretty good enjoyed the first one so hopefully this will improve upon it.

#3 Posted by darkjester74 (1592 posts) -

Great. The world will never see Shadow Complex 2. ;_;

#4 Posted by RuneseekerMireille (326 posts) -

Interesting news. When I get my iPad, I'll look out for this.

#5 Posted by Hameyadea (351 posts) -

@darkjester74: Shadowrun 2 FTW.

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7573 posts) -

While I enjoyed the first game it was nothing more than a distraction or a time waster, no depth and got boring quick.

#7 Posted by NDN_Shadow (122 posts) -

iOS is a place for lousy casual fare that no one in their right mind would ever waste their time with.

There I said it. Now lemme go play Android games.....

#8 Posted by Chris2KLee (2337 posts) -

I could go for another Infinity Blade.

#9 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@darkjester74 said:

Don't say it!

It'll happen, right?...RIGHT?!

#10 Posted by RampageAssassin (427 posts) -

I'll be getting this when I get my iPad

#11 Posted by RazeEverything (116 posts) -

I could go for a Shadow Complex 2 instead of relentless grinding and pattern recognition.

#12 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

Love the first, can't wait for the second.

#13 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@darkjester74 said:

Don't say it!

It'll happen, right?...RIGHT?!

Of course it will! It... It has to! IT HAS TO!!

#14 Posted by Askherserenity (119 posts) -

I would seriously like to know why this game is "critically acclaimed"...Has anyone actually sat down and played this? There is absolutely nothing to this game at all, no depth to be found. You can't possibly play this for more than 5 minutes. They do a nice job at making it look pretty and eating battery life though.

#15 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (282 posts) -

This is why I fear for the future of mobile games. People champion this pretty piece of shit over the traditional.

#16 Posted by Cybexx (1217 posts) -

"Hey guys I finished the Shadow Complex 2 design doc!"

"That's great but you should burn it because did you see how much money Infinity Blade made us, people love buying them swords."

Cliffy B actually confirmed over twitter that the design doc for Shadow Complex 2 was done but pushed to the side because of Infinity Blade, so while that may be my version of a fictitious conversation this was something that happened. I'm not actually pissed at an Infinity Blade 2, I like the first one but I was hoping they would alternate development between iOS and XBLA, guess not.

#17 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

First one was awesome, I could go for some more.

#18 Posted by PXAbstraction (348 posts) -

So they announced a sequel to the title that's the poster boy for all-style-and-no-substance iOS gaming? I'm not surprised but if stuff like Infinity Blade and Angry Birds are the things that sell the most on iOS, don't expect the platform to be a haven of innovation for long and especially not for it to take over all gaming as many would try to have us believe.

#19 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

It'll have cloud saves? That's awesome. I hated losing my infinity blade save every time I updated.

#20 Posted by shakra (252 posts) -

I can't believe the first game made epic $20 million.

#21 Posted by Progman9000 (258 posts) -

I'll just go ahead and echo the past and future comments wishing for Shadow Complex 2. It's a shame they have to go where the money is. Granted, I bought Infinity Blade eventually (and promptly deleted it after I realized what it was all about), but I certainly won't buy the second. Shadow Complex on the other hand...

#22 Edited by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

I took a long time warming up to the original Infinity Blade but at some point it managed to dig its hooks into me - enough that I'll definitely pick up the sequel if it's priced reasonably. 

@Alex said:

...It's cool, I'm too busy adding floors to my Tiny Tower to care.

I am also too busy adding floors to my tower and recently, dragons to my vale.
#23 Posted by Swoxx (3006 posts) -

@shakra said:

I can't believe the first game made epic $20 million.

That was pretty much my reaction to that announcement as well

#24 Posted by SimonM7 (129 posts) -

Not Making Shadow Complex II more like. Audible sigh.

#25 Posted by pakattak (210 posts) -

@Askherserenity: You probably needed to give it more time than five minutes.

It gets pretty intense as the difficulty ramps up.

#26 Posted by Koobz (405 posts) -

@Cybexx said:

"Hey guys I finished the Shadow Complex 2 design doc!"

"That's great but you should burn it because did you see how much money Infinity Blade made us, people love buying them swords."

#27 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Infinity Blade is awesome. This news is awesome.

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (12128 posts) -

I enjoyed the first one, but I can't really think of what they could add to constitute making a sequel. Here's to hoping they surprise me.

#29 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

They made this instead of Shadow Complex 2?

Sure, Infinity Blade looked nice and the controls were fairly responsive, but after ten minutes you'd seen it all.

Shadow Complex is one of the best games I've played played in ages, regardless of format.

#30 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

FUCK YOU CHAIR! Give us Shadow Complex 2 instead of this shit!

#31 Posted by jNerd (2019 posts) -

If only it would come to Android :(

#32 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

I wish they would put this on Android, so then I could have absolutely no desire to own an apple product.

#33 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -

I picked up the first one for either $4 or $5 and played probably 20 hours of it. Very excited for this one.

#34 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

FUCK YOU CHAIR! Give us Shadow Complex 2 instead of this shit!

Better yet, give us both.

#35 Posted by yevinorion (702 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

They made this instead of Shadow Complex 2?

Sure, Infinity Blade looked nice and the controls were fairly responsive, but after ten minutes you'd seen it all.

Shadow Complex is one of the best games I've played played in ages, regardless of format.

Sad thing is, Infinity Blade probably made a ton more money for them. Hence there being an Infinity Blade 2 and no Shadow Complex 2.

#36 Posted by Pepeman (113 posts) -

Im loving Infinity Blade at the moment, sure, it's all about grinding and leveling and getting loot, but something about it just has me hooked.Bad.

First i was busy getting more levels in order to finally defeat the last boss whom had been kickin' my ass bloodline after bloodline. Finally i managed to bring him down and thought that that was it. It wasn't.

Also, the real REAL ending is cool ( the one you get after getting the actual Infinite blade). This game has really interesting world and "backstory" that is only hinted in the actual game. Can't wait to play IB2 to see what happens.

#37 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

So, you're saying infinity blade 2 is a "thing"?

#38 Posted by ptys (1985 posts) -

Not sure if this substantiates being called news?

#39 Edited by Mikemcn (7008 posts) -

I don't usually play 3D games on my phone, but I played the hell out of Infinity blade, so much recharging...

#40 Posted by GritsNGravy (16 posts) -

@Pepeman said:

Im loving Infinity Blade at the moment, sure, it's all about grinding and leveling and getting loot, but something about it just has me hooked.Bad.

First i was busy getting more levels in order to finally defeat the last boss whom had been kickin' my ass bloodline after bloodline. Finally i managed to bring him down and thought that that was it. It wasn't.

Also, the real REAL ending is cool ( the one you get after getting the actual Infinite blade). This game has really interesting world and "backstory" that is only hinted in the actual game. Can't wait to play IB2 to see what happens.

If you are into the world/story Chair today released an eBook that bridges the first game and the second.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/infinity-blade-awakening/id469531262?mt=11

#41 Posted by Fontelroy (102 posts) -

I want shadow complex 2.

#42 Posted by Stahlbrand (839 posts) -

Any indication if the new Ipod Touch dealie will play this, or will you need a 4s?

#43 Posted by InfamousBIG (3219 posts) -

@TheKramer89 said:

So, you're saying infinity blade 2 is a "thing"?

Thing is, apparently, Infinity Blade 2 is a thing, cause, ya know, it's a thing.

-Alex Navarro

#44 Posted by Andorski (5352 posts) -

Infinity Blade > Shadow Complex, for sole reason that I still play Infinity Blade today while Shadow Complex was done in about a week's worth of play. Fun level was about the same.

#45 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

Will buy regardless. I hope there is character import, I'm stopped at level 169. I think I got ~$100 worth out of a $5 game.

Shadow Complex is a better game, but it's different platforms so its hard to compare. Infinity Blade Kinect? That would suck honestly, but if they did it for fruit ninja...

#46 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (498 posts) -

Bought the first one after reading all the good reviews. Played it for a couple of hours and really could not see what all the fuss was about. Deleted and never looked back. Much, much better, and cheaper, games on iOS than this. As for the sequel... NO!

#47 Posted by MormonWarrior (2640 posts) -

Even the big-ticket games like this on iOS or Android or whatever are only okay...it's always like "oh, that looks nice" and then a few seconds later "oh...that's really generic, mindless, and boring and controls badly." Forget it. Bring on Shadow Complex 2 any day of the week.

#48 Posted by MeatSim (10926 posts) -

I wanna see Shadow Complex 2 from Chair not this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.