Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jeff Gerstmann

Person » credited in 4 games

Jeff Gerstmann is the co-founder and former Editor-in-Chief of Giant Bomb as well as a professional video game scientist and anime expert.

Jeff Gerstmann's Top 10 Games of 2013

• 176 results
    Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#101  Edited By Atwa

Did you sit outside a theater in 1989 to picket Back to the Future Part II, too?

No, my problem with Bioshock Infinite was never the plot holes, dumb leaps of logic, any lack of pacing and bad character development. The main problem was that the gameplay was heavily dumbed down where most of the features, that made up for the lack of the original games shooting mechanics, were completely gone. Hacking, photographing and researching enemies, plasmid variety, amount of guns you can carry and weapon variety, interesting encounters that didn't revolve around a single weakpoint are all gone. I also didn't appreciate that they completely removed the freedom and added 100% linear levels. Furthermore I also thought the game was the biggest missed opportunity in recent memory. Its based around multiverses but the most exotic place we visit is Rapture? And why does Columbia feel more dead than Rapture when that was supposed to be a fully living breathing city? All people vanished the second a gun was fired the first time. Despite that I am not even mad, I am simply amazed that anyone can consider Bioshock Infinite a worthy sequel. I just get excited when someone tries to disregard criticism with deflection that the problem is with the player and not the game.

Knack_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Knack_Souls
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Such season.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I was disappointed at BioShock Infinite, I agree with Jeff that nitpicking logic leaps and suspension of disbelief is a really shitty way to critique something. At the same time those weren't my problems with the game. It's been a long time, so it's hard to recall, but I think my issues were largely centered on the combat, pacing, and character development. Admittedly, I would love to be told a story that took place in Columbia, just not that story.

lazerface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jeff seems so critical on sooo many games, yet a cookie cutter shooter is his favorite game of 2013? odd.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Overall a list I agree with much more than I thought I would. Regardless let the Gerstmania Storm begin.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
    DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for going through a really bizarre year with us Jeff. Really appreciate it. Much like many of you have said, video games are my respite from the real world when it can be a bit much to handle. I however have come to a place where most of my friends aren't playing video games anymore or aren't playing them the way I do. You and the Giantbomb crew essentially are my game playing friends, even though the friendship is entirely one-sided. Quick Looks, Bombcasts (and its various nefarious offspring), all are hugely important elements of my week and have been for the past few years. On behalf of all the people like me out there, people you've never heard of but have spent countless hours listening to you, thank you and thank you to everyone else in that office (and in Chicago and New York and who are named Brad Muir and etc. and etc.).

On a side note I'm glad you are enjoying Marvel Heroes again, it's come leaps and bounds since it launched and the developers seem hell bent on building it into everything they imagine it should be. It got a bum rap at launch (perhaps deserved) but I'm glad to see people are discovering and rediscovering it's clicky-looty-superheroy joys.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By hassun

@jeff

For a game that went through such a trouble early production

"trouble" was probably supposed to be troubled?

Thanks for shouldering the (sometimes terrifyingly heavy) burden of being Mr. Giant Bomb, Jeff. This is the only site on the entire www which has convinced me I should subscribe to it.

You bet your vomiting ass I will continue to subscribe to it as well! Make her grow, Mr. Mann.

loyalroyal1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By loyalroyal1989

Finally some one with sense and not having last of us on there list that game is not fun to play would have been a way better movie than game.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ughh bioschock...

So overrated, boring combat, you dont even use 90% of the powers.

Such a drag after the first good hour.

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nitpicking can be taken too far, certainly, but let's not take it to the point of being a cheap shot against folks with fair things to say about Bioshock. After all, how good is a narrative that doesn't get you invested enough to ask questions about its world?

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#113  Edited By Cybexx

I'm kinda surprised that Killer Instinct is missing from both the Top 10 and isn't mentioned in the Intro. Did the current state of the Online drag it off of Jeff's worth mentioning list?

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Maajin

@edin899 said:

Ughh bioschock...

So overrated, boring combat, you dont even use 90% of the powers.

Such a drag after the first good hour.

Who didn't use 90% of the powers? You? Because I sure as hell did! And it was GREAT!!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Now that's a great list. Every one of them is fun to play.

Revengeance! DLC to play as a talking robot dog! That's some DLC I can feel good about.

devoidcheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Looking forward to playing Revengence, pre-ordered for the PC...and man, I'm now watching the rest of the Steam sale to pick up Anti-Chamber...

stabworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#117  Edited By stabworth

The real 10 best games. Fuck Brothers.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Will have to check out Rouge Legacy. Bit disappointing none of you guys picked Tomb Raider for even a list, considering its my game of the year? I feel an bit out of the loop.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#119  Edited By musubi

I agree with most of this list. Although a clear lack of Vocaloids.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz said:

@orborborb said:

I've had strangely opposite taste to Jeff since the late 90s. I played all those games and none of his top 8 even make my top 20 this year. At least he wasn't fooled by the sentimental Brothers or Gone Home.

tier 1: New Super Luigi U, GTA V, The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World

tier 2: Tearaway, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing New Leaf

tier 3: Eldritch, Volgarr the Viking, Final Fantasy XIV, The Stanley Parable

tier 4: Papers Please, Year Walk, Pandora's Tower, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

tier 5: The Swapper, Proteus, Monaco, Towerfall

Liking great games is being fooled?

Gone Home is an interesting proof of concept at best, realistically it is a pandering cliche.

Brothers is simply clunky and not fun.

neither is "great" and do not deserve a top ten billing over many other games this year.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think it's weird you care about the characters in Saints Row. Well ok, I think it's weird but not out of character, I mean heck, you care about the dumb storylines of wrestlers.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

BioShock's world stops being interesting after a few hours, dunno what the appeal really is after the amazing opener.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crushed said:

@the_nubster said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

I think your list is genius, except I'm not the biggest Bioshock fan.

It's really nice to see Metal Gear Rising on this list, too many people played DmC and passed up on MGR

I played DmC and passed on Revengeance because it's apparently only 4 hours long. I recently pre-ordered it on PC for $20, which seems like the right price for it. It's just a hard sell, coming off of DmC which is 10-15 hours.

You've been deceived. MGR is kinda short, but it's like 7-9 hours, not 4 hours. The "four hours" figure came from people running through the game on the easier difficulties, while the in-game timer only counts the successful gameplay runs between checkpoints. If you die or restart to get a better score, then all the time since the last checkpoint isn't counted, cutscenes aren't counted, and the really extensive optional Codec conversations might not be counted either.

That seems silly. I mean, it's a really cool way to compare time and score, DmC does it per stage, instead of lumping it all together into one sum, which just seems confusing. Either way, I'm glad I waited! Love me some discounts.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two of the main characters exist in the plot solely to say cryptic things you won't understand until the end of the game.

Why is that a bad thing? Do you like watching/playing stuff where everything is obvious? Personally I don't mind a story that makes you think.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revengeance isn't my kind of game, but I wish it was.

Bioshock Infinite was successful enough to get people to hate it. And sure, with the right premises it could be easily disputed. It is really difficult for me to accept Many worlds or the various forms of Multiverses as true science, though many scientists do, or at least as logical rational possibilities of what is known. But you cannot run true experiments to acquire applicable observational results. We cannot even see light (information) beyond the visible universe. Or experience the supposed sundered universes of all possible paths. Yet conversely people think they know the truth, which is even more laughable.

Of course on top of that, I actually enjoyed the combat of Bio-shock. I'm not a very good gamer, but I got off on how basically Magic intersected with the conventional weaponry.I was also happy that the events favored no present political or social agenda. I get tired of these rigid blocks of thought anyways. Not that they exist in a vacuum. I enjoyed the plot of Bio shock.

Having said all this, I am going to overcome my own indifference, and check out The Last of Us.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Pretty sweet list Jeff. I like the balance between small indie games and big budget games. I really wish Saints Row could have made it to the site top ten but I can see why it wouldn't. I liked Bioshock a whole lot and it's high on my list but as I've pointed out on several threads, playing on hard for my first playthrough really hurt my overall enjoyment of that game. It's been a hard year for Giant Bomb but I appreciate everything you guys have done to keep things going. Thanks and keep up the great work.

astrophyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 20

I finished Antichamber in two sittings after Steam had a sale on it the other day, and I loved it. Thanks Jeff, for showing folks how cool this game is.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main criticisms against Bioshock Infinite seem to be for its rather odious politics rather than any plot hole type thing. Which I totally understand.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ThunderSlash

For a second there I thought Jeff was cosplaying Chie in that picture.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF~

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By BBQBram

This pleases the Levine.

courage_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Bioshock Infinite a lot. The story was interesting and fun to dissect with people after it was done, the world was really cool and fun to explore, I thought Elizabeth was an interesting character and good companion. But the gameplay really dragged the experience down for me. It was so generic and predictable that I got almost no enjoyment out of actually playing the game and tended to rush through combat encounters so I could get back to wandering around the environments unhindered and watching characters interact. The relentless linearity and dull combat encounters made advancing the plot a very tedious process and I hope Irrational's next game has interesting mechanics and level design that compliment the originality of their worlds.

astagnantsleep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Antichamber! I bought this game cause of the quick look. Best Steam purchase I've ever made.

KidA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone finally gives Antichamber the props it deserved

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

BioShock's world stops being interesting after a few hours, dunno what the appeal really is after the amazing opener.

i wish there was more skyhook traversal and crazy chases/falling through the sky, but i was pretty much enthralled throughout.

and i quite dug the climatic final battle where it felt like everything clicked into place mechanics wise, at least IMO. felt a sight more satisfying than the songbird boss battle i was predicting...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#136  Edited By Sooty

@ripelivejam said:

@sooty said:

i wish there was more skyhook traversal and crazy chases/falling through the sky, but i was pretty much enthralled throughout.

and i quite dug the climatic final battle where it felt like everything clicked into place mechanics wise, at least IMO. felt a sight more satisfying than the songbird boss battle i was predicting...

I was playing on hard and thought the end took way too long, freaking endless waves of bullet spongey enemies. Maybe it was my own fault for playing on hard.

I've noticed nearly everyone shows screenshots of the first hour or so and then barely the rest of the game which is why I think too many people give it credit for looking so pretty initially. The game's engine/graphics don't hold up well when it's not super bright and saturated. I was very taken by the game at first but after 2 hours of the combat I really wanted it to hurry up and end.

It's not even just that there was a lot of combat, it was just...dull. The previous games had more variety with weapons, ammo, traps and plasmids. Boo.

07ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By 07ron

Thanks for being you, Jeff. Great list :)

Krabonq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best list of the GB crew imo.

No gone hobo and otherwise mostly GAMES with actual GAMEPLAY.

There's a reason why Jeff is the boss.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By AngriGhandi

I thought Bioshock Infinite was a good game, I didn't like the ending, and doggone it, people like me!

*Looks in mirror*

magicwalnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dug Bioshock: Infinite's story, but I felt like I spent wayyy too much time shooting dudes (and ladies) in the face, and it was boring as fuck.

JesterPC238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outstanding fucking list. I expected to see GTA V up there, but I can understand why it wasn't. Awesome to see that Jeff put Infinite in the top spot, I concur.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MASSIVE respect for Divekick! Gerstmann keeping it real.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I need to jump into Revenengence or whatevs it's called.

Derios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hell yeah bioshock

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#146  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@sooty said:

A few hours seems too much. As soon as I started shooting things and the busy streets were emptied to become hallow corridors the world lost any identity it had to me.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@gokumane said:

back to the future is a comedy that doesnt shove its terrible story and hamfisted politics down your gullet

Yep. Seriously, i'm not gonna go nuts about BioShock's story or anything but that is a horrible analogy and I hate how Jeff is constantly bringing it up. BioShock: Infinite takes itself extremely seriously and, unlike Back To The Future: Part 2, really tries to rub how "smart" it is in your face. Two of the main characters exist in the plot solely to say cryptic things you won't understand until the end of the game. There's a part where out of nowhere, the main characters start singing about the main thematic message of the plot. It also takes a harmless "Slavery Is Bad" motif and turns it into "Revolting Against Horrible Racists Makes You As Bad As Them", which honestly is kind of gross. Columbia has almost no cohesion as a location, simultaneously being ultra-traditionalist while also incredibly progressive. Comstock and Fink are also boring, paper-thin antagonists.

There's nothing wrong at all with liking the game, but that story is flawed as hell.

this this this

I like Infinite enough that I have it up on my list at #9, but man did that that game have serious issues with its narrative that doesn't involve the time travel thing.

Bringing up points of racism and revolution and "resolving" them with the gutless "both sides are bad" conclusion is sad.

If you're not going to give those incredibly important and sensitive themes the attention they deserve, then don't bother bringing them up at all.

As Infinite stands, they are merely background elements made to help prop up the world that was in the end about a white man and a white woman's relationship with a time traveling multiverse twist.

It felt cheap because it seems like Levine and co. just brought those issues up in a lame effort to make the game feel "more mature" by tackling them in the manner that they did.

Maybe if they were only brought up in passing, it'd be more forgivable. Of course, the setting makes that impossible. There's also an argument to be made that keeping it all tucked away in such a setting would be even worse.

But going the opposite route that Infinte took is more perilous. By making race and revolution such integral parts in the first half of the plot and the world-building, the blunders are all the more offensive because of the political statement the game ultimately makes with what it presented.

And no, making caricatures of how racist America was in the past isn't daring an indictment of racism at all. It's absolutely the safest route to take because no one would argue against that at all.

If all Infinite's developers could do is to poke fun at centuries old racism and then paint the revolutionaries in the same bad light for rising up in armed struggle, then there is a helluva way to go for them to tell complex and compelling stories using those particular themes.

With all that said, time travel and multiverse stuff was pretty fuckin' awesome.

Combat really could've been less tiring though.

Also great to see the MGR love! Kickass game that's funny and at least takes a simple but firm stance against child soldiers and the insanity of how war fuels modern economies and politics!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#148  Edited By Zevvion

@gokumane said:

back to the future is a comedy that doesnt shove its terrible story and hamfisted politics down your gullet

Yep. Seriously, i'm not gonna go nuts about BioShock's story or anything but that is a horrible analogy and I hate how Jeff is constantly bringing it up. BioShock: Infinite takes itself extremely seriously and, unlike Back To The Future: Part 2, really tries to rub how "smart" it is in your face. Two of the main characters exist in the plot solely to say cryptic things you won't understand until the end of the game. There's a part where out of nowhere, the main characters start singing about the main thematic message of the plot. It also takes a harmless "Slavery Is Bad" motif and turns it into "Revolting Against Horrible Racists Makes You As Bad As Them", which honestly is kind of gross. Columbia has almost no cohesion as a location, simultaneously being ultra-traditionalist while also incredibly progressive. Comstock and Fink are also boring, paper-thin antagonists.

There's nothing wrong at all with liking the game, but that story is flawed as hell.

I always disagree when people say that story is flawed and especially if they say because 'it doesn't make any sense until the end'.

That story is about cycles. An infinite loop. When you play the game a second time, you find that from the very beginning of the game right until moments before the end, the story is explained perfectly and everything makes sense. It's explained in a way that you'd only know what to look for when you know what the ending is going to be. Which is pretty amazing because they don't drop subtle clues, they actually spell it out for you, but you won't pick up on it the first time because you don't consider it an option. For example: they straight up say Songbird is created through ideas from a man in a underwater city in another place. Among many other things.

I think that makes the story genius. A story about an infinite loop, where if you play it in a loop it makes perfect sense. That's amazing to me.

I don't get why being funny instead of being an emotional experience makes the difference between being allowed to have 'holes' in your story (and I put that between quotes because people dramatically exaggerate how many holes there are in Infinite's story). The theme is a multiverse. Something that is barely understood in reality. Of course there are going to be some holes. That is probably the comparison Jeff was making.

How about we skip the exact titles and just say: any time travel/multiverse movie/game ever has holes. It comes with the genre.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@skytylz said:

@orborborb said:

I've had strangely opposite taste to Jeff since the late 90s. I played all those games and none of his top 8 even make my top 20 this year. At least he wasn't fooled by the sentimental Brothers or Gone Home.

tier 1: New Super Luigi U, GTA V, The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World

tier 2: Tearaway, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing New Leaf

tier 3: Eldritch, Volgarr the Viking, Final Fantasy XIV, The Stanley Parable

tier 4: Papers Please, Year Walk, Pandora's Tower, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

tier 5: The Swapper, Proteus, Monaco, Towerfall

Liking great games is being fooled?

Gone Home is an interesting proof of concept at best, realistically it is a pandering cliche.

Brothers is simply clunky and not fun.

neither is "great" and do not deserve a top ten billing over many other games this year.

I disagree. I'll take new and interesting but flawed over stuff similar to shit to we see every year. Also you forgot to call them pretentious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.