Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kentucky Route Zero

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 22, 2013

An indie adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky. It was nominated for the Seumas McNally Grand Prize in the 2013 IGF awards.

Entertainment like KRZ, Nightvale, and Lynch?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Finally got around to KRZ and holy shit, surprise GOTY outta nowhere. The atmosphere and storytelling resounds with me in a way that few other things do. The closest analogue that I can think of is the wonderful podcast Welcome to Nightvale (which I haven't listened to all of) as well as, obviously, Twin Peaks (as well as some of Lynch's more surreal work). I was wondering if y'all have any suggestions for entertainment in any medium (books, podcasts, TV, games, movies) that share a similar vibe/atmosphere.

Incredibly stoked for the remaining acts of this game. Damned masterpiece of storytelling. It says something that I haven't really felt anything like I do when I play this since the first time I saw Twin Peaks.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Welcome to Nightvale is weird, in that it feels really familiar, despite being this mish mash of a bunch of stuff and it's not really like any one thing. It's part Twin Peaks, part X-Files, part "every conspiracy theory is simultaneously true", and part Lovecraftian horror.

Deadly Premonition has obvious nods to Twin Peaks.

Lone Survivor also has some Twin Peaks references, in between all of the Silent Hill references. I recommend it!

Also, maybe sorta Killer7? It's not strictly much like Twin Peaks, but it has some surreal moments that I think end up being on a similar level.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

Alan Wake. Don't play the 2 DLC episodes though as they explain a little too much. Unless you are also going to play American Nightmare.

Seconding Killer7 as well.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Alan Wake: American Nightmare as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: @corevi: I tried playing Alan Wake - really dug the atmosphere, just really hated the combat. I just kind of stopped playing at some point. I'll have to revisit it - should I continue playing through the main game if I do, or is American Nightmare standalone enough to just go through that and not have to engage with the combat system for as long? I love shooters, but MAN - the way that game plays just doesn't jive with me.

@bisonhero: Somehow haven't heard of Lone Survivor before now! While I never really enjoyed Silent Hill, I love the atmosphere of that series, so I'll definitely check it out.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Corevi

@infamousbig: American Nightmare is much more combat focused. There are some FMV segments in that game that are definitely worth slogging through the combat for however.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I only played the first episode, but the reference I got out of Kentucky Route Zero was Kurt Vonnegut. There's his terse, almost matter-of-fact delivery that I recognize in the game. I also feel like these kind of magic realist scifi stories are absolutely in Vonnegut's wheelhouse. If you haven't, Slaughterhouse Five is incredible and Breakfast of Champions is pretty good too.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I want to second Killer7. I've been thinking about playing it again to re-absorb its wackiness. That game is much more than it appears. Sure, it's an on-rails shooter-thing, but the characters and plot will twist your brain the entire time, all the way up to the very end. In terms of Lynch, you could make a slight comparison to Mulholland Drive maybe?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@theht: @corevi: I tried playing Alan Wake - really dug the atmosphere, just really hated the combat. I just kind of stopped playing at some point. I'll have to revisit it - should I continue playing through the main game if I do, or is American Nightmare standalone enough to just go through that and not have to engage with the combat system for as long? I love shooters, but MAN - the way that game plays just doesn't jive with me.

Yeah Alan Wake plays like absolute dogshit, and as someone who forced my way through it for the 16 hours it's there for, I dunno if it's really worth it. American Nightmare is shorter, but there's more combat so I'd skip it completely.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The book House of Leaves is big on that surreal-but-grounded stuff. Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon is in that vein too. The dude in this thread that said Vonnegut is bang on too.

There's really not many games that do what KRZ does though. That "weird shit is happening in an otherwise grounded piece of fiction but the characters don't react" thing is my favourite, I really wish more games did it. There's a lot of straight up surreal games out there (LSD, Yume Nikki) but not a lot of games that are just "off", if that makes sense.

I can see me beginning to ramble a bit, so I'll stop :)

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game I can think of right now is The Dream Machine, another PC adventure game. It has a similar theme of a surreal/unsettling feeling invading normality. Good game generally.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

@brodehouse: I've read that Kentucky Route Zero shares a lot in common with One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cormac McCarthy is also worth of checking out - the dialogue especially was very evocative of a lot of his stuff.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@infamousbig: If you think Alan Wake's combat is deal breaker, then Deadly Premonition might be best avoided. It also doesn't really have Lynchian storytelling, it just steals (and occasionally deigns to repurpose) parts of Twin Peaks entirely.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Perfect Blue is a very Lynch-esque animay film (and is also a superb film)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@alexw00d said:

@infamousbig said:

Yeah Alan Wake plays like absolute dogshit, and as someone who forced my way through it for the 16 hours it's there for, I dunno if it's really worth it. American Nightmare is shorter, but there's more combat so I'd skip it completely.

What about the combat didn't you guys like? I had a blast with it. Aiming was tight, movement felt smooth, having to dodge was fun and kept you on your toes, the guns felt impactful. The light mechanic also added some tension and a little more thought to the combat.

Any particular aspect rub you wrong or just all of it top to bottom?

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Blackout62

Works stylistically similar to Kentucky Route Zero; finally, the field I spent all of college studying becomes useful!

You must understand that the influences upon KRZ are much more... theatrical than what it's being compared to here. A lot of it comes from mid-20th century American playwriting and there you're going to find a more similar style of dialogue. Certainly Marquez was the source of how the game takes the magical realism genre but I wouldn't say Vonnegut is the inspiration for the writing style. I'd say Arthur Miller is the most obvious point of inspiration as the stage in the mine in Act 1 is based directly off a production of Death of a Salesman. That said the reference to Waiting For Godot in Act 3 (Junebug quotes the play and the fallen tree set at the start of the act is a very clear reference) opens up the game's playwriting influences and there's probably a lot of other stuff I'm not catching. Concerning the setting I think Flannery O'Connor plays a lot into how the game views and shows the South. Actually with the way the game's gone since Act 1 Southern Gothic is probably a better genre descriptor for the game than magical realism. And look at me using literary genres to describe a video game. God, I love KRZ. Anyway the level design is also heavily inspired by theater. Just googling Death of Salesman setdesigns I found a lot that evoked the style of KRZ.

Actually, you know what, screw everything I wrote above. Here aretwo magnificent articles analyzing the first two acts of the game and do a disturbingly good job at knowing exactly what inspired the game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BisonHero

@blackout62: Forum post of the year. Very informative! Thanks.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Serial has a similar appeal to Twin Peaks minus the supernatural elements. It's cool.

Also, definitely go read Thomas Pynchon. The Crying of Lot 49 has a lot of the same ticks, and Inherent Vice is about to be released as a film by the world's greatest director Paul Thomas Anderson*.

Loading Video...

*currently working director, at least. And I'd probably vote for Leos Carax first, but it feels like Holy Motors will be his last.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Was searching for similar to the OP now the fourth episode is close. One book that strongly reminds me of KRZ is The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. Picked it up a few years ago when it was enjoying a resurgence in fame as it was featured in Lost. It's set in Ireland but strongly resembles the more surreal elements of KRZ, perhaps with both a more comedic and darker tone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.