Kid Icarus: Uprising demo gameplay footage

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

At Nintendo World in Japan, Masahiro Sakurai hosted a demonstration of Kid Icarus:  Uprising.  There are a couple of videos online; one of aerial gameplay and another of ground-based gameplay.  The two modes look significantly different from each other.  Here's footage of a flying section:

Note how you can hear Sakurai make a direct comparison to the game Space Harrier.  The ground portions, on the other hand, allow more freedom of movement:

It looks like the labyrinthine dungeons that drove people insane in the old NES game are being replaced with something more straight-forward and filled with lots and lots (and lots) of straight-up shooting.
#2 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

The flying sections looks incredibly lame, but the dungeon parts seem pretty cool. Except for those terrible walking/standing still animations.

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Does it look better than the PSP? Or the PS2?

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Dany said:
" Does it look better than the PSP? Or the PS2? "
Why are you asking me?
#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Dany said:
Why are you asking me? "
It wasn't directed to you. I saw the vids and I am questioning anyone that ever had a PS2 or PSP.
#6 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Dany said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Dany said:
Why are you asking me? "
It wasn't directed to you. I saw the vids and I am questioning anyone that ever had a PS2 or PSP. "
Well, I have both and I've played games for both.  I don't really see the point of the question because the game looks good, particularly for a handheld game, and it's impossible to judge in full based on the inabilty see the 3D effect in a recorded video.  In any event, I'd say the graphics are looking good.
#7 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

Ah, I hadn't seen the ground parts before. It looks kinda interesting, but I'm a little worried that controlling the camera is going to be an issue. Also while it looks good I wonder if the gameplay will hold up in the long run, they've shown a couple of different weapons so at least there will be some variety in that.

I'm also not too fond of the design of Pit, that three headed dragon was hilarious though.

#8 Edited by Icemael (6364 posts) -

Looks boring as shit. Especially the on-rails part. It looked like something straight out of Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies, one of the most boring games I played last year, only even more boring.

#9 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
#10 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Afraid to say I'm not really feeling it from what I've seen

#11 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

New Nintendo World Video  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.