Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killing Floor

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 14, 2009

When hordes of failed super-soldiers (the zombie-like "specimens") break out of the labs of Horzine Biotech, it's up to London's finest to put them down in this cooperative survival horror wave-based first-person shooter.

Anyone else buy the game?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

So according to Steam there is 18 hours left until it is released. I bought my copy of it today since it had a 25% pre-order price discount and that seemed fair to me. I have to say I haven't been following the game too closely but from what I do know it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Apparently it started off as a total conversion mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 some years ago and has finally been picked up and turned into a full stand alone retail game by Tripwire Interactive who made Red Orchestra. I don't know how many of you have played RO but it's a pretty good game and that gives me hope Killing Floor will feel a bit more than a slightly polished mod.

A few quick details about Killing Floor...

• Both single- & multi-player modes.
    • Six player co-op.
    • Various weapons such as shotguns, flamethrowers, knives etc. Iron Sights aiming style as well.
    • "Perks" that will grant abilities or augment current skills.
    • "ZEDtime" which seems to be a form of bullet time that can be used in both offline and online modes.
    • Tactical gameplay that can be seen in the form of welding doors or setting up barricades to direct the flow of enemies etc.
    • Various enemy types which have different abilities, appearances and in some cases wield weapons.

So has anyone else already pre-ordered this through Steam? Is anyone unsure but interested in doing so? I'm just curious to see what the GiantBomb community thinks about Killing Floor. It seems like a really good game that has flown under most peoples radar. I hadn't heard about it until a week or so ago and I have to say it sounds similar to Left 4 Dead but also better in many respects.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

The original conversion was great! (if a bit buggy)

Big_Fact_Hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Big_Fact_Hunt

I've pre-ordered too, check out the devs playing in these vids over here. The Biotic Labs one is pretty intense.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hamz
    Fragstoff said:
    "does this game have any kind of versus mode like L4D has, or is every mode Human vs AI?"
    I believe the game is simply players vs hordes of specimens upon release. But I get the impression once it is released there will be new cotnent released for it.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ZeroCast

Yep, i bought the game as soon as i saw it on Steam, $11.24 was a steal for me because i read good stuff about the Mod and the game itself, can't wait to try it out with you guys!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scooper

I got this the other day too because my L4D buddies were into it. Not clambering at the bit to play it the second it's availible but I'll try it out probably tonight.

ZeroCast
    said:

"Yep, i bought the game as soon as i saw it on Steam, $11.24 was a steal for me because i read good stuff about the Mod and the game itself, can't wait to try it out with you guys!"
    We gotta pay £12 for with the 25% off ;(
    I wish we had cheap stuff.
    Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funzzo

bought this game a few weeks ago. I can't wait to play it.  bought ut2004 just to play the killing floor mod.  The steam page says 1 hour till release.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funzzo

"This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour" its been 2 hours now. Whats the hold up?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hamz
    Funzzo said:

"This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour" its been 2 hours now. Whats the hold up?"

Steam / Valve are always a little late in releasing games. When TF2's Beta stage was released it came 3 hours late.
    Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funzzo

Hate waiting!!!! want to kill zombies.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I did!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper

It said "This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour" I waited an hour and then it said ""This game will unlock in approximately 2 hours".

Whatever.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Funzzo

Still waiting......

Big_Fact_Hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Big_Fact_Hunt

Yoshiro from Tripwire posted in the steam forums already today stating that the timer for the game isn't correct. The group chat there is now overrun with spammers and trouble makers, for up-to-date info join the official irc channel:

Server - Gamesurge
    Channel - #Killingfloor

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funzzo

does that mean it will not be released today?

Big_Fact_Hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Big_Fact_Hunt

No idea, I don't have any irc progs installed. I'm watching the football instead and having a drink :-)

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Wow. I just looked up some gameplay videos and that looks pretty crazy. A little slower paced than Left 4 Dead but it looks a lot more tactical. :D

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz

From the IRC linked by Big_Fact_Hunt (thanks for that mate!)

One of the official operators of the channel is posting this almost regularly when someone enters...

To those just joining us Welcome. The channel is currently moderated (which means you can not broadcast to channel). There is currently no ETA. We are still working hard on making sure everything is ready.  Currently we are still working on Dedicated Server files. Thank you for your patience.
    Looks like a big delay / wait for the game to be released. My guess is tonight or tomorrow.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

How much will it cost?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hamz
    Snail said:
    "How much will it cost?"
    Less than $20 if you buy it now with the discount. It is currently just over £11 with the discount.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper

That sucks. I was looking forward to playing it tonight but I'm not gunna wait around and do nothing else for it.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aeterna

was looking forward to playing it tonight indeed.
    But I guess it'll be a pleasant start for the weekend tomorrow. :)
    (Europe over here, so.. almost time to sleep and get up early)

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hamz
    Aeterna said:
    "was looking forward to playing it tonight indeed.But I guess it'll be a pleasant start for the weekend tomorrow. :)(Europe over here, so.. almost time to sleep and get up early)"
    UK here and I can't see it being released at a Euro friendly time either. Thank god I don't have work till Saturday, maybe I'll be able to get a game in tomorrow!
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

im curious about the perks for the most part

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422

Yeah I bought the game when I first saw it like a week or so ago. Was hoping to play it sometime soon, but it looks like its not happening :\

edit- Update- It says it will unlock is about 1 hour now...I hope its correct

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Brundage

bought it like a month ago cant wait to play it when i get home, kinda pissed off giantbomb gave it no love.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hamz

Seems the game is now released. Everyone pop on Steam, update the game, play and come back here in an hour or two and let us know how it was for you :P

Big_Fact_Hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Big_Fact_Hunt
    Hamz said:
    "Seems the game is now released. Everyone pop on Steam, update the game, play and come back here in an hour or two and let us know how it was for you :P"
    Beat me to it. I'm so drunk right now and got work tomorrow but here goes anyway! Oh, and remember to join the GB Steam group if you haven't already ;-)
    Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Matt_

Hmm, I may get this. I'm gonna wait to see people's reactions about the quality though.

Big_Fact_Hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Big_Fact_Hunt

Holy crap! Got killed on solo mode, normal difficulty, on the 3rd wave. I was out in the wilderness somewhere. Those fleshpounds are tough, or maybe I'm just shit :D
    I was all alone though so my ego says that was the problem... yes, absolutely, for sure. Get some team mates or just run away and lob a few grenades. I suppose I should do the responsible thing and call it a night. Hope everyone has fun with this, and if you hear high pitch screams, take that bitch out fast! G'night folks.

Steam name is BigFactHunt if you fancy a game over the weekend sometime, (UK I be in) and being pissed is entirely optional but would be more entertaining :-)

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scooper

Well, it seems the menus crash my computer. When I get into the game it's fine but I'm getting pissed off because of it.
    The voice work and writing is awful.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brundage

wow this game is amazing, its so chaotic with six players! So far I like it a lot more then left 4 dead. Graphics are great and gameplay is amazing!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hamz

Initial thoughts after two hours of playing on easy / normal difficulty with 5 other real people.

Good.

• Visually the game looks very nice and the style and quality of the graphics impressed me.
    • Sounds in the game all feel right. Guns and enemies all sound how you would expect or imagine them too.
    • Voice work and dialogue seemed ok. Some nice little things like "I'm trying to heal you, not shag you, stop moving away!".
    • Combat is pretty good and iron sights for the more precise method of aiming is a big plus in my book.
    • Perks and weapon selection on offer is adequate.
    • Level design and size of maps seem good.
    • Gameplay is solid, simple and direct. Survive each wave, rush to the trader before the timer runs out, survive the next and increasingly harder wave. 
    • Variety of enemies that attack you is pretty interesting and they do feel unique.

Bad.
    • Gameplay can also become a little repetitive as there is only one mode. Survive each wave, rush to the trader, prepare for the next wave.
    • Although the weapons on offer are fine, there just at times feels like there is no reason to use anything but the shotguns.
    • Enemy AI feels / seems a little lacking. They just plod along in a row at times making them a tad predictable.
    • Player character models are all very much the same. You pick the guys with or without gas masks on. Thats it.
    • Servers and lag in general were a problem. Not game breaking but it took me awhile to find a stable server which wasn't dropping me mid-way through connecting.

For a full stand-alone game and at the price Steam is selling it for I'd say overall it is / was worth the purchase for me. Compared to some games which started out as simple community made mods this one is polished to a level of quality that is really good. And considering Tripwire Interactive have picked it up I'd say the updates and support for it will be pretty frequent and pretty good.

Comparing Killing Floor to a regular big budget game that charges double or more the price I'd say this is a gem waiting to be uncovered by a wider audience. Left 4 Dead was £24.99 if I remember and honestly a lot of people felt and still do feel like they were cheated out of money due to the lack of content. Killing Floor at full price on Steam is £14.99 and you get the same and more from it as L4D provides.

There is also a number of achievements for the game for anyone interested in that aspect of it. I managed to grab two myself and by the looks of it the Perks system levels up with the player so there is some persistant gameplay in there.

While it has some similarities with L4D I would urge caution in comparing both games to eachother. Both games are similar to each other in some respects but very different in many others. So I'd say keep an open mind when playing or thinking of purchasing this game. And if we want to get technical, Killing Floor was created long before L4D was :P
    Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

naaaah

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Matt_

@Hamz thanks for the pros/cons.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scooper

There have just been so many technical differculties for me that I wouldn't buy it again knowing this.
    These technical problems don't happen to everyone but I seem to of been hit by every problem reported and it really did knock my opinion of the game down many notches.

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

Pretty fun so far, I can't see myself playing it as much as L4D though.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Funzzo

I love this game!

Avatar image for shogunsupremacy
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShogunSupremacy
    Matt_ said:
    "Hmm, I may get this. I'm gonna wait to see people's reactions about the quality though."

I agree I wanna play this game cause A. it looks awesome as hell, and B. I love killing the undead! I just have to wait to see a review, maybe YouTube has something.
    coxlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By coxlin

Played this last night, it was epic! One of the best online games I have ever played. Still waiting for an sdk though.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PureRok

I like it more than Left 4 Dead. Just saying.

Avatar image for shogunsupremacy
    ShogunSupremacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShogunSupremacy
    PureRok said:
    I like it more than Left 4 Dead. Just saying.

How so? is it better than L4D or not on the same level? Do tell??
    Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Brundage

I like the fact that its slower paced then l4d. its also cool wielding door together and shit. i just hope more people pick up on this game, if we can get a good community started for this game hopefully we can get some good community maps and shit.

Tokubetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tokubetsu

Enjoying it to death. I mainly play with goons but it's all good. Hunting rifle > *

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By c1337us

Can't say I am familair with this game.

Madlib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Madlib

Killingfoor411.com is onyl fansite right?

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By trav3ler

Definitely worth the purchase.  I've been having a ton of fun, especially on the servers that allow 10-20 people to play.

Trust me, find a server that allows more than 6 people if you can.  The game just gets more fun the more people you throw into it, and because there's an algorithm that scales horde size and content based on how many people are playing, it never gets too easy.  In fact, it gets harder once you get like 20 people in - having 8 fleshpounds on your ass is not a fun experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.