Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

get2sammyb's Super Awesome Killzone 2 Hype Thread

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Manachild
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I played through the first level now.
    It starts exactly where the demo starts. Let's get start with the good things. Though some of it will be regurgitations of my demo impressions.

The weapons feel fantastic. And since I found a control scheme which suits me pretty well in the demo, you really get a good feel for the heavy shots, the recoil and the weight of actually firing off for you people who've been around real firearms before (I've used AG3 and MP5 before irl.)

I played through it on normal since I'm kinda sludgy in the head after not sleeping properly last night, but the Helghast seem to have gotten an intelligence injection since the demo. That was my main gripe about it was that they didn't cover properly and were completely confused when you ran up to melee them which was pretty easy since they seemed oblivious to where you were skulking about to. It seems alot harder to get up close to them and now they'll actually fight back or scamper off.

The end of the level shows off some an awesome teaser of the huge scale battles I'm hoping for with a somewhat open space where you're pinned down against a wall and getting fired at by rifles and missile launchers from the ground and on towers. I really hope there's more areas like this.

Trophy implementation is pretty clever for the people who are into those. Stuff like getting three dudes with one burst from your rifle, finding secret intel or getting headshots is bound to give this some great replay value or an ulterior goal to play differently. Alas I have invested way too much time and effort into Achievement points to really get worked up about Trophies, but that's my deficiency, not the game's.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the sweet production values. Everybody's gonna jerk off to how amazing the graphics are, but it's the sound design and the epic as fuck musical score which is the real standout for me. It's on par, if not better than Dead Space, which I think has been the pinnacle of  this generation when it comes to sound design. I wish I had a real surround system.

The overall style of the game is fantastic, from the Helghast, to your rifle, to even Sev's fauxhawk. It feels oddly familiar yet updated and with a brand new coat of paint to it. Sure it's space marines talking trash to eachother all over again, but it feels fresh. I can't quite describe it.

But every rose has it's thorn, just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song.

The dialogue and voice acting is atrocious. And there's barely any backstory or briefing about why this shit is happening or why you're doing this stuff in the game other than a sweet opening movie. If I hadn't brushed up on my Killzone lore before playing this then I might as well be fighting a bunch of Darth Vader lookalikes with a World War 1 fetish. Hopefully that will be remedied later in the game with some briefing in an on site tent or a Helghast stronghold we've taken. I doubt I'll be back up on the huge spaceship/station that brought us here. And as stupid as the thingies you fly around in are (Seriously, have a little cover. They're almost as stupid as the derricks in Gears Of War 2) they look cool as hell.

As great as the enemy AI has become, your teammates are absolute dumbasses. They'll run headfirst into fire. They'll decide to stand in front of you while you're firing at someone and just decide to take some weird alternate route when you're confronted with plenty of pillars to strategically move between to get closer to the enemy. I hope this won't affect my enjoyment of playing this game cautiously and strategically. This ain't no run and gun game folks, gotta use your mind grapes.

Even with my control set up the way best suited for me (Setup 2, with almost full sensitivity and Y axis inverted) the triggers are still a threat. It's way to easy to suddenly throw a grenade when you're trying to fire your rifle. The covering mechanic is still kinda cumbersome, but I'm used to it after going through the demo a few times. It's just a little bad at showing you that "yes, you are crouching and hiding behind this thing" since you seem kinda far away from it when you should be have your nose pressed up against it. The Sixaxis part is obnoxious as hell though. I really hope it doesn't show up that much.

I'm having a real disconnect with how short Sev is compared to everybody else. It's not that noticeable when you're up close to the Helghast, but when you're standing next to your teammates it's kinda weird. But as a pretty short dude myself, it is nice to be represented in a game. It's an exremely minor thing, but it's pretty noticeaable when you've played a shitload of FPS.

I've really not got any real complaints and as you see they're all pretty minor things which either don't matter or will become second nature.
    I mean, your team AI are dumbasses in most games. The backstory can easily be found and is pretty interesting. And the controls just taking used to seeing as this is the first FPS I'm playing with the DualShock 3 (I hate those triggers!). Very impressed so far.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Manachild

thanks for the impressions teflon, cant wait to pickup my copy on the 26th.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#204  Edited By StaticFalconar

With SF4 last week, KZ2 this week and soon to be RE5; its feeling like Christmas all over again.

I won't buy it first day, but it definitely is on my "have to at least" play list.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#205  Edited By PufferFiz

Thanks for that write up.
    Just preordered mine and Will be there at midnight to pick it up.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#206  Edited By bartholomew999

I get all girly and giggly when I see a new KZ2 thread.  heeheeheeTEEheeheeheehee

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#207  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Manachild said:
    "thanks for the impressions teflon, cant wait to pickup my copy on the 26th."
    You mean 27th right?

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Manachild
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Manachild said:
    "thanks for the impressions teflon, cant wait to pickup my copy on the 26th."
    You mean 27th right?

"
    No i dont, i'm australian, so 26th
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#209  Edited By TwoOneFive
    TeflonBilly said:
    "So far, epic as fuck intro. Amazing graphics.
    The only complaint about it is that I wish the bullet holes were a bit more graphic and gory seeing as we have these extremely good character models looking hella crisp and then some dude gets shot in the head without a helmet while zoomed in on and he doesn't have a hole at all.
    Fantastic music. Really John Williams like before he got stuck ina rut.
    "
    lord, why would you want to see things that graphics man?

btw, sev isn't short, they just position the camera at the chest. 
    Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Lieutenant
    get2sammyb said:
    "Gif to celebrate:

"
    The dust... it keeps dissappearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TwoOneFive said:
    "lord, why would you want to see things that graphics man?

btw, sev isn't short, they just position the camera at the chest. 
    "
    War is ugly. This isn't a cartoon where people get hit and just fall over.
    With the fantastic graphics and the 18+ rating already achieved, they could've really run with it and had a Saving Private Ryan moment there. Just seems like a missed opportunity. And I'll admit I'm a bit of a gorehound.

As for the camera positioning, it's not a detriment to the game, it's just very unfamiliar when you've played a shitload of FPS' before. It's like if a car game would position the camera in the middle of the hood between the fender and the dashboard. Unconventional and a little weird to get used to, but not something awful which breaks the game. As I said, the negligible criticisms I had for the game is stuff which will become second nature quickly. Among them the camera positioning.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Lieutenant said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "Gif to celebrate:

"
    "
    name one game where the dust and debris continuously builds up and never disapears? it looks good enough when you are playing because only anal people and game forums like this one will sit there and see an insnanely goodlooking gif and find something like that to nitpick. 
    Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Lieutenant
    TwoOneFive said:
    "Lieutenant said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "Gif to celebrate:

"
    "
    name one game where the dust and debris continuously builds up and never disapears? it looks good enough when you are playing because only anal people and game forums like this one will sit there and see an insnanely goodlooking gif and find something like that to nitpick. 
    "
    No need to put up your Killzone defense shield. It was just the first thing that stood out in the gif for me and I couldn't unsee it. Obviously there's no game like that described, it's just awkward that it abruptly disappears in the middle of it being kicked up.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#214  Edited By get2sammyb
    TeflonBilly said:
    "[cropped for forum]
    "
    Really interesting impressions. Thanks for taking the time to write that. You've managed to get me a tad more stoked for the game now. Awesome. Glad to hear the AI is slightly improved too.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

hey just wonderin, has anyone seen any killzone 2 ad lately. i haven't seen a single killzone 2 ad since they annoucned about it. but, then again i haven't watch much tv in the last few days and i've heard other people from other sites say they saw shit load of KZ 2 ad.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#216  Edited By KamasamaK
    LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "hey just wonderin, has anyone seen any killzone 2 ad lately. i haven't seen a single killzone 2 ad since they annoucned about it. but, then again i haven't watch much tv in the last few days and i've heard other people from other sites say they saw shit load of KZ 2 ad. "
    Not watching much TV could have something to do with it, but they are advertising.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "hey just wonderin, has anyone seen any killzone 2 ad lately. i haven't seen a single killzone 2 ad since they annoucned about it. but, then again i haven't watch much tv in the last few days and i've heard other people from other sites say they saw shit load of KZ 2 ad. "
    I saw a Killzone 2 commercial yesterday on TV. I can't remember what channel it was on though. :/
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#218  Edited By Whisperkill

I saw an ad on Comedy Central, I know it was that channel because thats the only channel I watch

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Lieutenant
    LiveOrDie1212 said:
    I personally haven't seen anything but they're more than likely going to be on G4/Spike/Comedy Central/Discovery channel. I always seem to see newly released game commercials on those channels.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By get2sammyb

It was advertised last night in half-time of the Manchester United vs. Inter Milan Champions League match... which is a pretty good slot to have actually.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get2sammyb said:
    "It was advertised last night in half-time of the Manchester United vs. Inter Milan Champions League match... which is a pretty good slot to have actually.
    "
    I hope so. Though the Dreamcast logo on the Arsenal jersey didn't help ; _ ;
    Sony needs to push this in people's faces as much as fucking possible. I'm pissed that all I see in the windows when I pass a Gamestop is F.E.A.R. 2 promotional stuff as well as Kotaku's F.E.A.R. 2 ads. Killzone 2 should be everywhere, hell they should've had it across that guy's cock in GTA IV: Lost & Damned!
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By get2sammyb
    TeflonBilly said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "It was advertised last night in half-time of the Manchester United vs. Inter Milan Champions League match... which is a pretty good slot to have actually.
    "
    Sony needs to push this in people's faces as much as fucking possible. I'm pissed that all I see in the windows when I pass a Gamestop is F.E.A.R. 2 promotional stuff as well as Kotaku's F.E.A.R. 2 ads. Killzone 2 should be everywhere, hell they should've had it across that guy's cock in GTA IV: Lost & Damned!
    "
    Haha, yeah I know. But, honestly. I think this is it. I doubt we'll be seeing much more of the game than we've already seen, which is not a lot. Very disappointing marketing campaign from Sony, yet again. Speaking of The Lost & Damned, it actually has more store presence in British shops than Killzone 2. Which says it all when a digital download is getting promoted more instore than an actual game.

I still expect Killzone 2 will post very respectable first day figures (and by respectable I do not mean Halo, Gears style figures) on word of mouth alone. It's just a shame Sony haven't seen fit to shove it down peoples throats though.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By LiveOrDie1212
    get2sammyb said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "
    "
    Haha, yeah I know. But, honestly. I think this is it. I doubt we'll be seeing much more of the game than we've already seen, which is not a lot. Very disappointing marketing campaign from Sony, yet again. Speaking of The Lost & Damned, it actually has more store presence in British shops than Killzone 2. Which says it all when a digital download is getting promoted more instore than an actual game.

I still expect Killzone 2 will post very respectable first day figures (and by respectable I do not mean Halo, Gears style figures) on word of mouth alone. It's just a shame Sony haven't seen fit to shove it down peoples throats though.
    "
    maybe they're planning on promoting it more during and after release day???? I'm at the point where im starting to not care anymore, I know im gonna go out on the 27th,  pick up the game and enjoy the living hell out of it, and i think thats good enough for me. I hope the game will sell as much as the other popular games did, so that it will push other developers to compete with it and make more awesome games. deep inside, i really hope this game will be the biggest thing ever, not only becuase of my enthusiasm for this game, but i want other game companies and game developers to know that people desire quality games with outstanding presentations, not just throw any FPS shooter out there and expect big sales. Its obvious that GG and Sony put a lot of effort and resouces into KZ2 and i want to see that being paid off at the end.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

TeflonBilly said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "
    "
    Fucking right, Sony seems to really love watching other games that arn`t half as good get all the attention, Little Big Planet wasn`t advertised much at all, only around forums and from people talking, I seen a few commercials but not much, I haven`t seen anything on Killzone 2, I only know about it because I read up on gaming news everyday.
    Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Play.com says it's in the mail, hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow and I can tell you how it is.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By get2sammyb

Yeah. My copy of Killzone 2 is in the post somewhere.

Can't believe the day is finally here. It's crazy. So excited.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#227  Edited By Snail
    get2sammyb said:
    "Yeah. My copy of Killzone 2 is in the post somewhere.

Can't believe the day is finally here. It's crazy. So excited."
    You and Killzone 2 = LiquidPrince and Prince of Persia
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By get2sammyb

Single player is fucking awesome. Voice acting is atrocious. Story is non-existant. But it's really intense. The pace is really fast and taking down the enemies is really satisfying (certainly on a par with CoD4).

Oh -- and the intro = brilliant.

I also echo what Teflon said earlier on, the sound design really is brilliant. The compositions and the way it transists between the different loops is really seamless. Don't quote me on this but it also seems like the musical score changes depending on what's happening in the game. The weapons sound really great and you get your shoorter reverb indoors etc.

Very good.

Online is taking me a bit longer to get into. But I'm enjoying it. I kinda don't want to do anything when playing online because the maps look so fucking gorgeous.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By TwoOneFive
    get2sammyb said:
    "Single player is fucking awesome. Voice acting is atrocious. Story is non-existant. But it's really intense. The pace is really fast and taking down the enemies is really satisfying (certainly on a par with CoD4).

Oh -- and the intro = brilliant.

I also echo what Teflon said earlier on, the sound design really is brilliant. The compositions and the way it transists between the different loops is really seamless. Don't quote me on this but it also seems like the musical score changes depending on what's happening in the game. The weapons sound really great and you get your shoorter reverb indoors etc.

Very good.

Online is taking me a bit longer to get into. But I'm enjoying it. I kinda don't want to do anything when playing online because the maps look so fucking gorgeous.
    "
    lol i like the voice acting, so bad its good, and besides, i have a lot of family in the military, they always cuss like crazy. 
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Yea. The intro was awesome.
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Yea. The intro was awesome.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

MP is fun as hell. been playin the SP for 3 hrs now and it's intense but nothin differenct than other FPS out there. Graphics in this game made me tear up a bit because its so fuckin beautiful. btw, playing this game on Hard mode and i've died 50 or more times and only on the third level. The thing that bugs me is that the Helghast takes shit load of bullets to take them out, kinda like those annoying pirates in Uncharted. I think i'll like this game better once i spend more time online, the SP for me so far is OK, just your typical "shoot your way from point A to point B", but thats fine with me, its a FPS after all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiveOrDie1212 said:
    " The thing that bugs me is that the Helghast takes shit load of bullets to take them out,. "
    Two bullets to tha dome, my good man
    SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#234  Edited By SpinCookie

I scrounged together some funds and just picked up my copy! I can't wait to try it out.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#235  Edited By ttocs

Soon as I get off work I'm picking this bad boy up.  Won't be able to play it for a couple hours though because I have to take the girlfriend to the store...but when we get home...it's straight up killin' (in the game, I'm not killing her...)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ttocs said:
    "it's straight up killin' (in the game, I'm not killing her...)"
    Do it man, then blame it on the game so you won't serve any time!
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#237  Edited By ttocs
    TeflonBilly said:
    "ttocs said:
    "it's straight up killin' (in the game, I'm not killing her...)"
    Do it man, then blame it on the game so you won't serve any time!
    "
    Haha, it's a good thing I'm at work and not at home.  If my girlfriend saw that, she'd come after you...no matter where you live...be afraid!  I am!  ;)
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By TwoOneFive

okay ive been playing mostly online, but i try to throw in an hour a day of the campaign till its over. im at the level where you first get the flame thrower, without a doubt the best flame thrower ever, and that includes the best enemy reactions to it as well, they look like theyre in so much pain! i like how its quite realistic in that it has that piss looking arc, because thats how it is. 

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

well, i've put in about 4 hrs of multiplayer and i can personally say this is by far the best multiplayer i have played so far. I played COD4 and that was awesome, but KZ2 MP is in a league of its own. first thing i like to mention is how smooth things run online. i would expect from a game that just came out like this to be laggy or whatever technical issues that may arrise, but so far, nothing of that sort appear, and everything is smooth as butter. The multiplayer is as chaotic as the single player mode, if not more. Technically, this is a great achievement especially  with the graphics, all the crazy effects around you, while maintaining 32 players online with everything running smoothly is amazing. oh, and did i mention the multiplayer is fun as hell?? LOL. i remember playing a match, a full 32 player battle, by far one of my best online match i've experienced in a multplayer game. it was intense, it was satisfying, and even during a firefight i remember saying outloud to myself, "this shit is fuckin INSANE!!" lol, and that never happened to me while playing a game, ever. i think this is one game i see myself playing for many many years without gettiing bored or tired of it.ok, i'll stop talking now, lol. but i felt like i have to share my thoughts about this awesome game.  

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Snail

My impression on the game: Every character sounds like Mr. T.

I like this game already.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TwoOneFive said:
    "okay ive been playing mostly online, but i try to throw in an hour a day of the campaign till its over. im at the level where you first get the flame thrower, without a doubt the best flame thrower ever, and that includes the best enemy reactions to it as well, they look like theyre in so much pain! i like how its quite realistic in that it has that piss looking arc, because thats how it is. "
    Wait, you berated me for wanting a headshot in the vein of  the storming of Normandy in Saving Private Ryan to add some gravitas to the whole thing and then you revel in pain these guys endure by getting a prolonged and agonizing death by fire in a pretty throwaway manner?

Methinks something smells foul in Denmark. And yes I'm saying this with tounge firmly placed in cheek :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.