Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

After Credits Scene Discussion (SPOILERS)

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

I don't understand the point of this scene. 
    I've been going through it all in my head and it didn't reveal anything new or... anything. 

Can someone explain to me the meaning/relevance of the after credits scene?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

It keeps people from making threads with theories of Phelps surviving? 

But seriously, there's probably some meaning behind the funeral and all the dirty cops pretending that they were Phelps' friends.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Darkstar614

It was just showing what happened when the 6th came home, and Courtney decided to steal the morphine.

I don't think it is meant to explain anything about the odd ending before the credits, just a bonus.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

It reinforces Kelso's good nature.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kush

I also don't understand why some have called it a critical/essential scene for the overall story. I assume people say that because it reinforces Kelso's good nature, but I never doubted him. He never once showed anything that would have me question his good nature and I felt like I wasted my time sitting through the credits for that. I am glad they didn't pull a "I won't say the game for potential spoilers" and have Kelso in on it the whole time because that would have been ridiculous. In all honesty, what they ended up showing was pointless.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By PhatSeeJay

It reinforces Kelso as a genuine guy, who wanted no part in the drug affairs that, in the end, became a major contributor to the corruption and Phelps' downfall.

It pretty much reinforces Kelso's comment in the end, that he was never Phelps' enemy. He never had any part of it, even if he had a lot of reasons to stab a knife in the man.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By matpaget
    @PhatSeeJay: See, that's what I think it's pointless. We already know he had nothing to do with it because of the way he talked to Courtney about it. Their conversation at the end basically showed that Jack Kelso had no idea what happened to the morphine because he was, for serious lack of a better word, surprised when Courtney told him that he did end up being a dope dealer. 

So, I already knew he had nothing to do with the drugs. 
     Anyways, I loved Jack Kelso and I thought it felt weird being a character that was looking at Phelps, instead of a character that was Phelps.  A good weird though! I'm trying to think of this movie that switched the protagonists like this but it was probably a Noir film I saw YEARS ago.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By haggis

It still strikes me as though the entire story was a setup for a sequel featuring Kelso. That final scene, in particular, along with Kelso getting picked up by the assistant DA ...

Very odd. It's like they didn't really know where they wanted to go with things, and so tied up with Kelso rather than Phelps. Lots of very strange decisions were made in how the writers approached the story in this game.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thehexeditor

I hope they set up LA Noire 2 with Kelso becoming a private detective.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By IBurningStar

If I'm remembering it correctly, wasn't the idea to steal the morphine part of the reaction the men had when they heard about Phelps being honored and all that? The point of the scene was to show that the events that led to Phelps' fall were all unknowingly set in motion by himself.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By haggis
    @IBurningStar said:
    If I'm remembering it correctly, wasn't the idea to steal the morphine part of the reaction the men had when they heard about Phelps being honored and all that? The point of the scene was to show that the events that led to Phelps' fall were all unknowingly set in motion by himself.
    This. All the flashback scenes led up to this one moment. I don't think it was as significant as maybe the writers hoped it would be, but they were trying to bring it full circle.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ee02708d2a83
    deactivated-5ee02708d2a83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@EVO said:

It reinforces Kelso's good nature.

I'd say its point is more towards this. We're left at the end with a character we spent a decent amount of time with (and as) who throughout the game has been portrayed as an opposite of Phelps. The ending scene, in which Elsa slaps Jack's hand away and declares that he was "never Cole's friend" leaves us with the possibility that the lack of friendship with the protagonist makes Jack less of a respectable character. I think the end scene is just prove to us once again that Jack is a good person, despite his differences with Cole. As BIggs declares, though Kelso was never Cole's friend, he was never his enemy.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Tesla

The big thing I took away from that last scene was the fact that a conversation about Phelps is what led to them stealing the heroin. Sure, knowing Kelso isn't dirty is nice. But the fact that Phelps is a victim of his own success is a far more interesting thought.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BBQBram

It was a nicely written and shot scene, to reinforce the characters of Kelso and Sheldon, and probably as a little closure, getting to actually see the origin of the heist. Nice little touch - if it was a movie it would still be a post-credits scene.

Also, the writer's didn't know where to go with the franchise? Please, this script was so deliberately written and they made so little compromise to gaming conventions that I don't really see the lead writer and director starting Team Bondi and Image Metrics, investing millions, specifically for this game and then rush the script at the end for an easy second protagonist. Especially when Cole and Kelso where set up for this story arc from the start. On a side-note though, I'd love a sequel with Kelso. And I know it's not going to happen, but I'd love it more if they moved on to a different setting and a new game or franchise. Treat it like art and not just a business asset.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spectreman

The point was to demonstrate how Phelps caused all the problems. Was because the Phelps promotion that the marines  decided to steal the morphine. Phelps fucked in the war, fucked with the marines mindes, cheat your wife. It´s fantastic how we play a hero and in the end we see how he is a fucked man in every way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.