Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

In the sequel to Valve's cooperative zombie shooter, a new team of four ragtag survivors must work together to survive the apocalypse, facing new Infected threats as they fight their way across the Southern United States.

Demo Thoughts (screenshots and muisc inc)

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

Edit :- Brilliant, noticed typo in music - FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

So i was really unsure as to whether i was going to enjoy left 4 dead 2 - having bought the first on both platforms and played em to death i was incredibly pessimistic about the Prospect of paying for what could end up being underwhelming. 

From the 2 campaign chapters they give you- i was totally wrong. 

The graphics have had a significant improvement, probably most noticeable is the fact that the zombies now take a lot of punishment on expert mode, thus you are able to blow chunk after chunk off of their bodies in a gloriously gory fashion and as long as the skeleton remains intact - they will still keep on a clawing. But when you eventually blow a zombies gut open with a magnum and see straight through him and watch as he falls to his knees clawing at his stomach, whilst you see the contents of his gut spewing out- it's awesome! 

No Caption Provided

Also the addition of the new special infected - which by the way, are complete bitches - and even sub specials, like zombies wearing body armour that are immune to gunfire as such (but not guitars- heheh) made each encounter radically different.  The charger seemed to pop up too frequently however, every damn corner i turned resulted in me being pounded,

I played through the opening chapters multiple times and each one - true to their claims- played out differently, even so much as the weapons available at the start of each mission - no longer is it a case of starting gun -> better gun based on type. 

I counted a total of four or five types of shotgun alone whilst playing, each feeling and handling different, and most of the time only one or two types would appear in a level, as well as several different assault rifles, only found one sniper rifle - the starting pistols and laser sights are awesome, and the replacement magnum you get the option to take (although i only found it once)- makes beautiful holes in heads. 

No Caption Provided

A cool variety of sub items were found, each playthrough seeming to generate a different mix, picking up adrenaline at one point allowed me too outrun a horde - whereas a tub of boomer vile was used to fuck with one of the armour wearing zombies- he got mobbed heavily and then a grenade into the middle no longer resulted in a red mist, but  a mangled pile of corpses and half skeletons  

No Caption Provided

And the mini finale they threw in halfway through was awesome too - really changed the pace of the level and forced us to make split decisions, especially when one of us went down and round the next corner were defibrilators i could use to bring em back- press on and shut off the horde alarm? or turn back and try to save? This kind of stuff looks like it could vary it pretty well. 

The highlight in all was a small cafe we found, in which as we were horded, a juke box set off and began playing 'when the saints...' it was both surreal and hilarious at the same time, in consequent playthroughs - it was found it played different songs - including one written for the game, in which a lonely zombie is singing to his old work colleague about his desire to eat his brains - which climaxes into an awesome choir based chorus, and solo midway through. 

Incidentally, upon further inspection i found all of the jukebox songs on my hard drive after searching in :- 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2 demo\left4dead2\sound\music\flu\jukebox  

May vary for you guys but 'Re_your brains' is now in my ipod playlist :D 

Theres a lot i've left out here 'mainly due to being in a rush'  - and a lot i never even experienced such as the ammo types, grenade launchers etc - but man im enjoying this game a lot more than i thought was possible and have no problems with paying what i have for it 

Oh and also by the way? Dying in the doorway of the safehouse at the end on expert? still sucks. 

No Caption Provided
    Cocainemancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cocainemancer

Re: Your Brains is by Jonathan Coulton, the one who wrote Still Alive for Portal.
    He's also the one who made the theme song for the TV program Code Monkeys.

Oh, and he had done Re: Your Brains way before the first Left 4 Dead was out.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422

I agree entirely, just like I did with Sweep. I was one of those people that werent even going to give L4D2 a rent for a console, or a chance at all...being very skeptical that it would be anything more than shit that should of ben DLC. I was dead wrong, and just counting the variety of weapons, and how they feel like they have a real weight to them, and power..and how the zombies dismember and tear apart, it makes the game feel a whole lot more satisfying on Survivor. In L4D1, I honestly only got a good amount of fun from playing infected being a hunter, but in this I can tell I will like both a lot.

Also btw, everytime you play the record player isnt something different, if you havent realized yet, everytime you click the use key on it it will change the song on the spot :P it just changes which song it starts on is all. I stood there like 15 minutes listening to the music with a friend in co-op while fighting off hordes, it was a lot of fun.

NerdyNinja007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By NerdyNinja007

Can't wait to kill zombies with my mighty fine M16 assault rifle.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Yukoei

I love the game, its great!

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Jedted

I missed out on the first L4D(played the demo though) but after trying out the demo on XBL i'm deffinatly picking up the sequel.  The co-op is hella fun and it's great how your forced to stick together if you wanna stay alive! 

I like the addition of melee weapons which you can use whenever your low on ammo and in the middle of a swarm of zombies.  Whenever i saw the armored swat gaurd i imediatly switched to my frying pan and proceded to wail on em(resilient bastards they are). 

Can't wait to play all the other game modes and see all the maps in the full game! 
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @AfricanJezus said:  

I had no idea about that :D thanks for correcting ^_^
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

Tried the demo (on PC).  It doesn't feel as polished to me as L4D1.  The level design doesn't seem as clever, the writing on the walls isn't as interesting.  The gameplay just feels a little sloppy.  I even noticed some blocking volume errors in the maps.

I'm also kind of surprised to see myself typing this, but it also feels more like a console game than L4D1.  The FOV feels different (at least the 1st person gun view feels really different than L4D1), the menus and fonts are all huge...

I was never planning on buying L4D2 on day one, but this affirms my decision to me.  I'll wait until it's very cheap.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Diamond said:  

Really? although i do kinda see where you are coming from to a degree - i tried the 360 demo last night and it felt much closer to the pc version of l4d2, than the console version of l4d ever did to the original 

It could just be that they got both up to scratch with each other, or that they designed l4d2 with the console version in mind - time will tell i guess
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By AndrewJD

I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. After playing the demo I tried L4D1 out and realised that the graphics have improved a ton but for whatever reason you don't notice until you go back, like with a lot of games. Also, shooting the zombies is much better, seems more impactful.

I wasn't going to buy this what with MW2 and ratchett (and to a lesser extent Tekken 6) coming out, but now I have it pre-orered.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By empfeix
    @Diamond said:
    " Tried the demo (on PC).  It doesn't feel as polished to me as L4D1.  The level design doesn't seem as clever, the writing on the walls isn't as interesting.  The gameplay just feels a little sloppy.  I even noticed some blocking volume errors in the maps. I'm also kind of surprised to see myself typing this, but it also feels more like a console game than L4D1.  The FOV feels different (at least the 1st person gun view feels really different than L4D1), the menus and fonts are all huge...   I was never planning on buying L4D2 on day one, but this affirms my decision to me.  I'll wait until it's very cheap. "
    As far as level design goes, I understand what you mean.  I felt a bit of that, but then I thought about versus, and if the maps make for a better versus experience then I'm okay with that (time will tell).  More importantly to me is the game should be much more difficult, and the fact they added a realism mode will easily be the case.  Typical versus paths could be altered with the new classes, and all the other items they added make for more choice and more varied gameplay. 
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#12  Edited By JackiJinx

I love it. The only thing I can constitute as wrong (if that) is when someone is shouting "There's a jockey on me!" that it often sounds like "There's a Jacki on me" to me. That's going to take some getting use to. Doesn't help that those bastards are sneaky.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lucas_kelly

It would be good if it wasn't so god dam big. Then maybe I could download it.

digthedoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By digthedoug

Thanks for the actually informative writeup; its nice to hear some info, especially when it's positive. What do you think of the new characters?

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By GeneralTurkle

I personally, loved it.  I felt the less arcadey version from L4D.  It felt real this time around.  Like you were actually the one killing the zombies.  Everything felt so polished and i just know i am going to love this game :D

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm not buying it. Doesn't do enough new things, gets repetitious too quickly, and is overall a "been there, done that" experience. Now, do not misunderstand me. Valve is my favorite company, with Half-Life being my favorite franchise. The demo was fun with a few friends but after a small bit got incredibly old. I'll pass on this and maybe pick it up when it's $30 and worth the money. Before anybody gives me bullet-points as to why I am wrong, just know that I don't fucking care why you think I should like it.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alphawolfy

I just played the demo chapters a few times with friends and strangers too, and found the game quite fun! I got the first L4D like a few months ago, so my memories of playing it (well I guess I still do...) are fresh. Although the daytime setting is a little weird, the jukebox is cool :). With all these new modes, weapons, and melee "weapons", I now feel like this is worth a purchase... however I've already gotten Dragon Age Origins so I'll wait till it's cheaper or when there's a sale on Steam.

digthedoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By digthedoug
    @Vinchenzo said:

" ...I'll pass on this and maybe pick it up when it's $30 and worth the money..."

I'm in a similar boat, however if you do the four-pack preorder on steam its only $33 a person, which I think it a pretty fair deal.
    Figglesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Figglesworth
    @OmegaPirate:  I had a lot of fun with all the new toys and special infected.  The melee stuff is more useful than I thought it would be. The new zombie models, ragdoll and dismemberment effects make the shooting more satisfying. 

The last part of the demo where you run from the ambulance is genius.

The only thing in the demo I didn't see was dynamic paths through the levels, ie some doors are locked and you have to go another way around.

Personally, I can't wait to run through all the new campaigns and see what sort of devious levels and scenarios they have come up with.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolemnOaf

This is the thread I was looking for!  I thought it was awful.  The characters control like they're on ice.  The graphics look terrible because everything is bright and there's no filter.  The tone of the game has changed for the worse.  The characters all suck.  The sound design is terrible, ie: voice proximity is completely non-existant.  It feels like a completely different game than the first, and not in any good way.  To be fair, I only played for a few minutes before I, as the chick, picked up a melee weapon and heard her say 'grabbin' a guitar' and said to myself "what shit" and shut it down.  I might give it another chance, I might not.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

i just played this game, it is cool. it feels like left 4 dead 1 with more items to play with. i'll get this game sometime when it comes out.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

After playing infected, I can say I am definitely looking forward to the release at this point...more than MW2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.