Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Exciting, New L4D Mod in Production

Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deadlockmod

Hello fellow forum trollers!

My name's O'Malley and I'm a member of the development team for DEADLOCK, a Left4Dead Multiplayer modification. In DEADLOCK, two teams of survivors are pitted against one another and endless waves of zombies. The mod stresses team play, resource management, and massive amounts of zombie kills. On top of this, our mod boasts over 30 weapons, a large array of usable items (and drugs!), new characters complete with player models, dynamic environments, and a new and more realistic health system.

Right now we are in our fourth week of production (after two months of pre-production) and are looking for a few more team members. Our current staff is composed of motivated individuals with industry experience who are working day and night to move the project forward.

Mods get a bad rap because a high percentage of them die young and abruptly (we've got a high infant mortality rate I guess), but Deadlock is different. We're not here for money, but it's not amateur hour either. Our team is established and things have been running smoothly for three months. Now we're trying to build a community to get feedback from as we develop. If you're interested in the mod, please track us at DEADLOCKMOD.com

As stated above, we are currently looking for similarly motivated individuals to join our team and help make our mod a success, while also furthering their career in the gaming industry. Our most immediate need is for a Character Concept Artist. If you are interested in joining the team, check out the Application Section of our forums.

Thank you very much for your time, if you have any questions, please post them in this thread and I will be happy to answer them!

-O'Malley

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

Are you trying to get this mod out when L4D allows custom servers?

Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deadlockmod
    Seedofpower said:
    "Are you trying to get this mod out when L4D allows custom servers?"
    Actually, it's going to be a total conversion like Dystopia or Eternal Silence, rather than a server-side mod like zmod for CS:S
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Snipzor

Dammit! I wish I had every Valve game on PC, so I could enjoy mods everyone else seems to have total fun with.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By RedSox8933

isn't this just like Survivor mode that is coming out?

edit: nevermind i read the description more closely...
    Sounds awesome!! i wish i had it for PC...

dprabon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By dprabon

...hmm, nice.

TG_SOLID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TG_SOLID

Sounds cool, I'll at least TRY it when it comes out. Please make multiple size/poly models and textures, I hate it when mods run slow.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By twenty0ne

Bummer - I have this on the 360.

Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deadlockmod

News time!

Hey all, thanks very much for the continuing support, it's really helping and motivating us.

The mod is undergoing steady production. We've added three artists to our ranks: Stefan our Character Concept artist, Matt our 2D General Artist, and Hannah our Zombie Artist. They're all working diligently and we should have media to display shortly. Stefan has already drawn several of our characters in black and white and fleshed one out entirely in color.

Also, we're now hosting biweekly Left4Dead parties for our community. Our last party was a full Versus game that ended up being VERY close! To play with us all you have to do is be a member of our Steam Group. The games are Tuesdays and Fridays at 3PM PST.

My jobs, which are concept mapping and promotions are moving along well. I'm planning a concept map test late this week that basically introduces testers to myself and one another, as well as test some lighting styles we're planning on using. I've also created a working model for a dynamic level, that I'm working on expanding and running a test on soon.

Finally, the volume of media we've had has easily doubled, and our forums have jumped massively in postings per day. We've released more images of models (made by our 3D Artists, Michael and Benoit), some modder tutorials, and a full color character concept. Most of the content can be found on our ModDB Page at www.moddb.com/mods/deadlock.

Keep the questions and comments coming,

-O'Malley

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Sounds cool. Will survivors be able to form barricades with objects?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Yit

I'm excited. Sounds awesome!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Hamz

Considering Dystopia and Eternal Silence are two favourite SDK mods of mine I look forward to seeing this released. Sadly I'm not much of a modder but rather just a moderator and a bad comedian it seems as well.....

Goodluck and keep us updated in this topic!

Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deadlockmod
    AnimZero said:
    "Sounds cool. Will survivors be able to form barricades with objects?"
    We're currently having a lengthy discussion with the community about this on our boards. Feel free to add your input (http://www.deadlockmod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=74)

Yit said:
    "I'm excited. Sounds awesome!"
    Hamz said:
    "Considering Dystopia and Eternal Silence are two favourite SDK mods of mine I look forward to seeing this released. Sadly I'm not much of a modder but rather just a moderator and a bad comedian it seems as well.....Goodluck and keep us updated in this topic!"
    Thanks very much for the love guys! I will be keeping this thread updated with posts and weekly news updates.
    Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deadlockmod

Hey peeps,

We greatly appreciate those of you who have supported our mod! Thanks to supportive people like you folks here at Giantbomb, our fan-base grows larger every day. Last weekend our Steam Group hit 50 members. On top of that, we are consistently ranked among the top tenth percentile on ModDB.

Our team has gotten larger once again, with the addition of our new animator, Gregory. His voluminous amount of industry experience is a great asset for our mod. We're currently looking for another coder - particularly one with Source experience. Several of us have coding chops but we need a dedicated member to take the reins here. If anyone is interested, fill out an application on our forums.

We've released more media as well. Hannah's "Female Zombie" concept art and Benoit's "Road Flare" model top the list. To get the latest materials we release, when we release them, consider tracking us on ModDB. I am also now working on a few mapping tutorials and survival-style maps that will be hosted on L4Dmods.com

Finally, do you use Twitter? If so, follow us! We try to update it 3-4 times a week, and with our expanding team size that number should grow. Check it out at http://twitter.com/TheDEADLOCKTeam

-O'Malley

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scorched

Awesome, I'll be sure to check it out

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Ferginator4k

good luck, i look forward to great mods like this.

Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deadlockmod
    Scorched said:
    "Awesome, I'll be sure to check it out"
    Ferginator4k said:
    "good luck, i look forward to great mods like this."
    Thanks you guys, I'll keep the updates coming!
    Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deadlockmod

It's been a while since my last release, so this has a double dose of updates.

To start off, our team has gotten much larger! We've added three more 3D Artists: Bojin, Paul, and Alex. They are diligently working on the models and characters that will bring the DEADLOCK world to life.

Our new Audio Director Tony, with the help of Andy (our audio technician) is tackling the gargantuan task of recording and perfecting every sound we plan on using in the mod.

Though it was a slow week for 3D Non-Character development, we have had some major strides in Zombie Art development, thanks to the lovely/grotesque work of Hannah. We've posted the bulk of her work on our ModDB Page at http://www.moddb.com/mods/deadlock

From this, Alex and Bojin have begun working on models for the zombies, and some early stills of these will be released soon on our website. Starting this week, all 3D promo materials will be released a week early on our forums before they are released on forums like this one. So, if you want to get the most up-to-date info on the mod, please join us at DEADLOCKmod.com!

We're working hard to keep our community entertained between updates. We've added a Zombie Apocalypse Role-Play section to our forums and our L4D Parties have also been growing. We're currently looking into getting a couple dedicated servers up to make hosting the games easier for our staff, as well as a means for trying out some custom gameplay.

Thank you all for the continuing questions and support.

-O'Malley

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Optiow

Hmm, it sounds really good, two bunches of survivors against the zombies, I would play it!

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zebadee

I have sent an application email for a coding position, hopefully I can contribute!

Deadlockmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deadlockmod

Hey Everybody,

Zebadee (above post) is now our official coder! Congrats.

As some of you may know it was recently finals for most college students, Deadlock developers included. Good news is, (at least for the northern hemisphere) it's summer!

Though sporadically, work has continued through this dry spell. Some of you may have noticed our [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/deadlock/news/3d-promos-character-concepts]ModDB exclusive releases[/url] of our 12 characters in black and white. If not, I recommend checking them out now. Stefan did a wonderful job on them!

Stef is now busy on [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/deadlock/images/farmer-wip-by-stefan-hansson#imagebox]coloring them[/url] as well as working on a [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/deadlock/images/urban-male-model-by-stefan-hansson#imagebox]3d version of his suburban male[/url] for animation purposes. On that subject, our animation department has started gearing up for the large number of models they will be animating soon. Keep an eye out for some videos we plan to release concerning this.

Speaking of movies, we're very excited to release our first official video, our [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/deadlock/videos/repathvid#imagebox]Repathing Demo[/url]! This video explains our plans to make all of our levels dynamic and more replayable. If you have any questions about the video, please forward them to the [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/deadlock/videos/repathvid#commentreply]modDB page[/url], where you will get the quickest response.

Finally, we're announcing our opening of auditions for Voice Acting for the Deadlock cast! Not only are you able to easily submit audio for review by our team, but you can come up with your own lines of dialogue too. If you're interested in becoming a voice actor (or possibly a writer) for Deadlock, [url=http://www.deadlockmod.com/dialog.php]check out the new site[/url].

As always, thank you for giving us your love, hate, questions, comments, and criticism.

-O'Malley

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ahriman22

Awesomesauce. Even though I don't have L4D on PC I'll follow this. It's nice to see people are still working on this game even after the sequel annoucement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.