LEGO Rock Band plays similarly to the other games in the Rock Band
franchise, including a guitarist, bassist, singer, and drummer. Visually, the game looks similar to Rock Band
, with a full band, concert venues, etc., but the band, instruments, and arenas look as though they were built from LEGOs. This falls in line with other LEGO-themed games, like LEGO Batman
and LEGO Star Wars
. Characters, instruments, and the band's entourage will all be customizable, and the rectangular notes have also been change into small thin LEGO blocks of the right colors green, red, yellow, blue & orange respectively.
LEGO Rock Band is compatible with all Rock Band instruments, and all other instruments that work with Rock Band.
If a band member misses too many notes during a song, they won't "fail out," but instead lose all of the points that they've earned for that song. However, special "recovery phrases" will then appear, which allows the player to earn back some of their lost points by hitting every note in the section.
LEGO Rock Band includes a Super Easy mode. For the guitarist, the player only needs to strum in time with the song, as opposed to having to press the fret buttons and strum. For the drummer, they do not need to use the kick pedal.
Some songs, such as "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by the Police, have an option to use the "radio edit" version of songs to shorten their long intros/outros.
The set list for LEGO Rock Band is geared more towards "family-friendly" songs. The following 45 songs are available on the 360
, and PS3
versions, with 25 of those making up the setlist for the DS version:
- All-American Rejects - "Swing, Swing" *
- The Automatic - "Monster"
- Blink 182 - "Aliens Exist"
- Blur - "Song 2" *
- Bon Jovi - "You Give Love a Bad Name"
- Boys Like Girls - "Thunder"
- Bryan Adams - "Summer of 69"
- Carl Douglas - "Kung Fu Fighting" *
- The Coral - "Dreaming of You"
- Counting Crows - "Accidentally In Love" *
- David Bowie - "Let's Dance"*
- Elton John - "Crocodile Rock"
- Europe - "The Final Countdown" *
- Everlife - "Real Wild Child"
- Foo Fighters - "Breakout"
- Good Charlotte - "Boys and Girls" *
- The Hives - "Tick Tick Boom"
- Iggy Pop - "The Passenger" *
- Incubus - "Dig"
- Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back" *
- Jimi Hendrix - "Fire"
- Kaiser Chiefs - "Ruby" *
- Katrina & The Waves - "I'm Walking on Sunshine" *
- The Kooks - "Naïve"
- Korn - "Word Up!"
- KT Tunstall - "Suddenly I See" *
- Lostprophets - "Rooftops"
- Pink - "So What"*
- The Police - "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
- The Primitives - "Crash" *
- Queen - "We Will Rock You" *, "We Are The Champions" *
- Rascal Flats - "Life Is A Highway" *
- Ray Parker Jr. - "Theme from Ghostbusters" *
- Razorlight - "Stumble and Fall"
- Spin Doctors - "Two Princes" *
- Spinal Tap - "Short & Sweet"
- Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)"
- Sum 41 - "In Too Deep"
- Supergrass - "Grace" *
- T. Rex - "Ride A White Swan"
- Tom Petty - "Free Fallin'" *
- Vampire Weekend - "A-Punk" *
- We The Kings - Check Yes Juliet" *
- The Zutons - "Valerie"
* denotes songs included in the DS version of LEGO Rock Band
On the 360 and PS3, songs from the Rock Band Store that Harmonix
determines are "suitable for all ages" import automatically into LEGO Rock Band. LEGO Rock Band contains its own music store interface that only shows songs that are stated as being "family friendly" and that work with that game. No DLC details have been given for the Wii version.
Songs from LEGO Rock Band are exportable to Rock Band 2 for a one-time transfer fee of $10.
The gameplay of LEGO Rock Band is somewhat similar to the other Rock Band games. You travel to other venues to play gigs, but the way you unlock gigs are different from the others. You must purchase vehicles that send you to other gigs. You also run into challenges that involve you solving problems with the "power of rock." Occasionally, you have a chance to play as real rock stars such as Queen, Blur, or David Bowie.
You can also buy managers that help you boost the amount of fan and studs (money) you get.
Celebrity Lego Avatars
Like Rock Band's
rival series Guitar Hero
, the game incorporates rock legends and celebrities, though it transforms those musicians into LEGO minifigures.
LEGO minifigure versions of these artists. David Bowie sings on stage during "Let's Dance," with the rest of the band being loosely based on the band from the song's music video. Iggy Pop performs during "The Passenger," and provides the voiceover for the game's tutorials. The legendary rock band Queen have also been turned into LEGO characters and perform of their two songs "We Will Rock You" & "We Are The Champions." The Britpop band Blur has also been given the LEGO treatment, and will appear playing their hit single "Song 2".
| Two preview events, called " Brickstock" and |
"Ballroom Bricks," were held. Brickstock took the form of a music festival where member of the public formed as traditional rock bands while playing the actual game. Ballroom Bricks was similar to Brickstock, but also had a more in-depth look at the game with a talk from Jonathan Smith, one of the lead designers of TT Games. These events were held in the city of Nottingham in the UK as part of the annual "Game City" festival which has been held since 2006 in the old market square.
LEGO Rock Band received moderate praise, with Metacritic scores at 68 for the Wii version, 73 for the PS3 version and 74 for the Xbox 360 version when the game was released.