Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

SBE13: Limbo, and why it's overrated.

• 144 results
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Edited By demontium

No one really pays attention to user reviews, and this isn't technically a review. 

Anyways, Limbo has been getting amazing scores. I have played through a lot of the game and its fucking hard. I read some reviews of it before I got it though, and a lot of them are severly mistaken. 

Take Brad's for example. His review was extremely well written, and he gave a perfect score. Now hold up: he gave this game 5/5 stars, like up there with mario galaxy 2 and SSFIV. The price alone should bring that score down, as most people report beating the game in 2 - 3 hours, and it costs 15 dollars. Also, Brad and IGN's review rave about how good the artstyle and atmosphere are, but to me they just seem lazy as shit.  

No music is somehow "artsy" and having a weak low function character is "original." I forgot who said it but trying to be original has now become unoriginal, and by that I mean leaving the whole game to black and white with very little rendering is bullshit; sure it looks nice, but it isn't affective. It just comes across as lazy, and it stays in the front of my mind, while looking "nice" goes to the back. 

More original, independent, and artsy games seem to come when they aren't trying to make these mega profits, and aren't lazy. Only 2 forms of jumping, no music, very little sound effects, and no use of color or HD and a game that lasts 3 hours with no narrative. Cheap, lazy and overrated. Don't get me wrong, this is a good game, its just dangerously overrated and most of the reviews did not catch it. Although gametrailers did, and i bet some others did too.     

MAJOR EDIT PLEASE READ

No, this is not me changing my stance, just me clarifying.  

Despite the fact that most people are exclusively addressing the price point factor, but I'm here to discuss what I really think: the game could have been 5 hours longer but my stance would be basically the same. 

Limbo's puzzles are interesting, but they reuse a lot of the same tools. If every moment of the game was gold, if all of the puzzles weren't push a box or find a rope, this blog would not have been written.  

In contrast, a similar priced, similarly rated game called Braid succeeds were Limbo falls short. Limbo is a great game, but to a game like Braid continues to surprise and challenge the player, were Limbo feels familiar from puzzle to puzzle. The different mechanics and unique puzzles spawned from time manipulation and precision platforming along with an amazing score and a unique (yes, B&W has been done before) artstyle.  Limbo had no gameplay, it was simple and fun, but easy and obvious. It sometimes relied on trial-and-error and other times resorted to just hiding a trap in the black and white (which again is trial and error). 

Braid is priced - or overpriced - about the same as Limbo, but because Braid has a new experience at every turn, it feels like a much more worthwhile experience than a game that relies on some cheap platforming and a weak character.  

Limbo is a great game. It belongs in the 4 - 3 star range.  

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By demontium

No one really pays attention to user reviews, and this isn't technically a review. 

Anyways, Limbo has been getting amazing scores. I have played through a lot of the game and its fucking hard. I read some reviews of it before I got it though, and a lot of them are severly mistaken. 

Take Brad's for example. His review was extremely well written, and he gave a perfect score. Now hold up: he gave this game 5/5 stars, like up there with mario galaxy 2 and SSFIV. The price alone should bring that score down, as most people report beating the game in 2 - 3 hours, and it costs 15 dollars. Also, Brad and IGN's review rave about how good the artstyle and atmosphere are, but to me they just seem lazy as shit.  

No music is somehow "artsy" and having a weak low function character is "original." I forgot who said it but trying to be original has now become unoriginal, and by that I mean leaving the whole game to black and white with very little rendering is bullshit; sure it looks nice, but it isn't affective. It just comes across as lazy, and it stays in the front of my mind, while looking "nice" goes to the back. 

More original, independent, and artsy games seem to come when they aren't trying to make these mega profits, and aren't lazy. Only 2 forms of jumping, no music, very little sound effects, and no use of color or HD and a game that lasts 3 hours with no narrative. Cheap, lazy and overrated. Don't get me wrong, this is a good game, its just dangerously overrated and most of the reviews did not catch it. Although gametrailers did, and i bet some others did too.     

MAJOR EDIT PLEASE READ

No, this is not me changing my stance, just me clarifying.  

Despite the fact that most people are exclusively addressing the price point factor, but I'm here to discuss what I really think: the game could have been 5 hours longer but my stance would be basically the same. 

Limbo's puzzles are interesting, but they reuse a lot of the same tools. If every moment of the game was gold, if all of the puzzles weren't push a box or find a rope, this blog would not have been written.  

In contrast, a similar priced, similarly rated game called Braid succeeds were Limbo falls short. Limbo is a great game, but to a game like Braid continues to surprise and challenge the player, were Limbo feels familiar from puzzle to puzzle. The different mechanics and unique puzzles spawned from time manipulation and precision platforming along with an amazing score and a unique (yes, B&W has been done before) artstyle.  Limbo had no gameplay, it was simple and fun, but easy and obvious. It sometimes relied on trial-and-error and other times resorted to just hiding a trap in the black and white (which again is trial and error). 

Braid is priced - or overpriced - about the same as Limbo, but because Braid has a new experience at every turn, it feels like a much more worthwhile experience than a game that relies on some cheap platforming and a weak character.  

Limbo is a great game. It belongs in the 4 - 3 star range.  

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kariyanine

Different strokes for different folks I guess but I loved it and would place it next to Mass Effect 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 in my top three of 2010. 

I still haven't read any of the reviews for it, including Brad's, so for me personally with no slant tainting my opinion I did not find it lazy.  I loved the simplicity of the art style, of the controls and of the ambient soundtrack.  For me it made the game moody and tense.  I like that the game had no real narrative to speak of, it lets the user interpret the game how they want to.

As for the value proposition, I feel better about having bought Limbo and played through it for $15 than I do about having spent $60 and 11 hours on Crackdown 2 but as I started with, different strokes for different folks.

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By litrock
    @demontium: They also gave Modern Warfare 2 a 5/5 and you paid 60 dollars for a 6 hours campaign. In that respect, Limbo's like ... twice as good, right?  

Dollar value propositions are for fools. Give it up.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrPockets000

I'll use my original example of paying $10 or $15 for a trip to the cinema or a DVD, respectively.  Neither of which last more than two hours.  I'm so tired of people complaining about the price.  If $15 is too expensive then don't buy the game.  Price does not determine quality.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1
    @DrPockets000 said:
      Price does not determine quality.
    mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By mau64

My user review has gotten some hits. I don't see why you think nobody read them. They might not get AS MUCH traffic, but some people like to see what others think about the product.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf

Oh, we are still complaining about price? I just spent 12 books to get something to eat at Burger King with my girlfriend.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By thatfrood

It's not on par with Braid, but it's still a good game.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andorski

Stopped reading after the OP brought up the "X amount of $ divided by Y length of game equals Z review score."

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By haggis
    @demontium:  It's unfortunate, but I'm finding that I mostly agree with you. I'm not a huge fan of this minimalist style of gaming. It's basically trying to get credit for being artsy by not creating art. No music, no narrative, minimal art. I found the lack of music and color makes the game flat and uninspired. There is a fine line between adequate minimalism and "nothingism" in games. I think Limbo crossed that line. That doesn't mean the game sucks, it's just a little disappointing. And awfully short. Overrated? Well, I haven't finished the game and will withhold final judgment until then, but at the moment I'm leaning toward "yes." The game could have been so much more than it is. Oh well.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By OllyOxenFree

No Caption Provided
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    I don't know why, but I cannot stop laughing at this picture.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    I don't know why, but I cannot stop laughing at this picture. "
    It looks like the lawn gnome from Half-Life 2.  Now that was a badass lawn gnome.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By demontium
    @haggis: I am certainly glad that a guy with a grim fandango icon agrees with me.... thats an awesome game.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By demontium
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @DrPockets000 said:
    "
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean you have to overprice it. Would you buy braid for 25 dollars?
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DrPockets000
    @demontium said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " @DrPockets000 said:
    "
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean you have to overprice it. Would you buy braid for 25 dollars? "
    $25 is not $15. 
    Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ashby

I dunno, I didn't have too much trouble with it (except the bit with the up/down lift; I thought it was just a squiggle of dark until someone pointed out the white parts were arrows), and I beat it quickly, but I was thoroughly charmed, and occasionally quite unsettled, throughout. Sure, it was short, but any game that evokes emotions in me like this one is worth it, for me.

Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tsukiyomi
    @demontium said:

"Now hold up: he gave this game 5/5 stars, like up there with mario galaxy 2."

At the very least Limbo is on par with that rehash.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By demontium
    @Tsukiyomi said:
    " @demontium said:

"Now hold up: he gave this game 5/5 stars, like up there with mario galaxy 2."

At the very least Limbo is on par with that rehash. "
    Whatever, replace galaxy 2 with a game you believe to be 5 star. I don't think galaxy 2 is even close to a rehash, but thats besides the point.
    thebooya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thebooya
    @demontium said:
    " Cheap, lazy and overrated. "
    I have no problem with you questioning the value of the game (it's your opinion) or whether you think it's overrated or not. What I do have a problem with is you accusing the developers of being 'lazy'. These guys busted their asses for 3 years, flew around the world multiple times begging, pleading publishers to sign them so they could turn their vision into a game that we can all enjoy. 

Calling developers 'lazy' is straight up ignorant, man. Have an opinion all day long, but don't be a jerk about it.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By demontium
    @Ashby said:
    " I dunno, I didn't have too much trouble with it (except the bit with the up/down lift; I thought it was just a squiggle of dark until someone pointed out the white parts were arrows), and I beat it quickly, but I was thoroughly charmed, and occasionally quite unsettled, throughout. Sure, it was short, but any game that evokes emotions in me like this one is worth it, for me. "
    Duh, but braid is worth the 15 dollars because the puzzles take much more time and are genuinely more challenging than limbo's. 

Thus the ratio of limbo to braid in terms of cost is offbalance, 10 dollars give or take.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By raviolisumo

5/5 is not a perfect score. It's the highest score given. That is all it is.  

Also, there's no math formula ratio that can be applied here. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

Hey yeah that's cool. I bought Limbo and Mass Effect at about the same price and I feel that the money was much better spent with Limbo. So cool story bro and all that. 

There is rarely a sound design as good as Limbo's. So coming here and saying "there's like little music and shit" is just silly. 

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ashby
    @demontium:  
    Hm. Sure, if you wanna quantify it so mathematically like that. My opinion's mine and yours is yours.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy
    @litrock: I beat MW2 in about 3-4, the same amount of limbos. Ill be playing through limbo multiple times, though, so you can triple that.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By trophyhunter

can I shoot the flowers?

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @demontium said:
    " Now hold up: he gave this game 5/5 stars, like up there with mario galaxy 2 and SSFIV. "
    Each score is actually independent and is entirely the opinion of the reviewer. The fact that both Street Fighter IV and Limbo does not mean that they are as good as each other or that they are on the same level. Limbo is a good game and is highly recommended by Brad and therefore he saw fit to award it five stars.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By demontium
    @TheBooya said:
    " @demontium said:
    I have no problem with you questioning the value of the game (it's your opinion) or whether you think it's overrated or not. What I do have a problem with is you accusing the developers of being 'lazy'. These guys busted their asses for 3 years, flew around the world multiple times begging, pleading publishers to sign them so they could turn their vision into a game that we can all enjoy.  Calling developers 'lazy' is straight up ignorant, man. Have an opinion all day long, but don't be a jerk about it. "
    Really? No its not, sure in regards to actually getting the product to being published I will give them props, but that has nothing to do with the game THEY made. THEY made the game colorless, with little animation and no music and so on. THEY did that, it had nothing to do with them going around the world begging for someone to publish them. 

@Meowayne said:
    " Hey yeah that's cool. I bought Limbo and Mass Effect at about the same price and I feel that the money was much better spent with Limbo. So cool story bro and all that.   There is rarely a sound design as good as Limbo's. So coming here and saying "there's like little music and shit" is just silly.  "
    Really, you think limbo is better than mass effect even at a lower price? 

Well thats just a difference in opinion I guess, you loss for wanting less i guess, and saying there is no music is just a fact.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

No Caption Provided

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sanryd
    @demontium said:
    " @TheBooya said:
    " @demontium said:
    I have no problem with you questioning the value of the game (it's your opinion) or whether you think it's overrated or not. What I do have a problem with is you accusing the developers of being 'lazy'. These guys busted their asses for 3 years, flew around the world multiple times begging, pleading publishers to sign them so they could turn their vision into a game that we can all enjoy.  Calling developers 'lazy' is straight up ignorant, man. Have an opinion all day long, but don't be a jerk about it. "
    Really? No its not, sure in regards to actually getting the product to being published I will give them props, but that has nothing to do with the game THEY made. THEY made the game colorless, with little animation and no music and so on. THEY did that, it had nothing to do with them going around the world begging for someone to publish them. "
    I don't know how much you know about the development side of games, and I'm no expert, but I do have some experience. It's not as easy as you think to make a game, especially for an indie developer who may or may not have another job at the same time. As TheBooya said, calling them lazy is just ignorant. Maybe coloring everything black saved a little time on the art side of things, but there are some solid, polished platforming mechanics in there. It's a clever little game that, whether you personally enjoyed it or not, is definitely of greater quality than a few $60 retail games I could mention.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meowayne
    @demontium said:
    @Meowayne said:
    " Hey yeah that's cool. I bought Limbo and Mass Effect at about the same price and I feel that the money was much better spent with Limbo. So cool story bro and all that.   There is rarely a sound design as good as Limbo's. So coming here and saying "there's like little music and shit" is just silly.  "
    Really, you think limbo is better than mass effect even at a lower price?  Well thats just a difference in opinion I guess, you loss for wanting less i guess, and saying there is no music is just a fact. "
    Yeah, I kinda regret buying Mass Effect 2. Limbo has spirit, and at the same time it is significantly less pretentious than those like it, like ImorTall, Every Day The Same Dream, Winterbottom or dare I say Braid. It also manages to make me feel that the art direction supports the game and the storytelling instead of just being there to throw "look! I'm all artsy!" at you.

At the end of the day, I will have spent more time playing Mass Effect 2, but I will have spent and will continue to spend more time enjoying having played Limbo.

I have not even seen the end of Limbo and it has already brought me  more wonder and excitement than any title since Shattered Memories.

And yes, music is not used as an atmosphere or storytelling device, making way for a lot of ambient sound effects and other ambient tracks. This was a deliberate decision and it is used for great effect. It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness and value, quite the contrary. You don't need to comment every single situation with music and, in fact, many of the more acclaimed games and movies went with this decision.

Fuck measuring the value of a game on what the clock says when you see the credits. Just fuck that. Again and again this shit.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meowayne

little animation

WTF. Are we even talking about the same game?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel
    @demontium said:
    " @Ashby said:
    " I dunno, I didn't have too much trouble with it (except the bit with the up/down lift; I thought it was just a squiggle of dark until someone pointed out the white parts were arrows), and I beat it quickly, but I was thoroughly charmed, and occasionally quite unsettled, throughout. Sure, it was short, but any game that evokes emotions in me like this one is worth it, for me. "
    Duh, but braid is worth the 15 dollars because the puzzles take much more time and are genuinely more challenging than limbo's.  Thus the ratio of limbo to braid in terms of cost is offbalance, 10 dollars give or take. "
    The manner in which you're attempting to quantify a game's quality is absurd.  As tdk08 notes, making a game is not as easy as you think.  Indie games in particular have much smaller budgets than the average major disc-based release, and not all indie developers have access to the same resources.  Jonathan Blow spent a large chunk of change out of his own pocket to get Braid made; he didn't price the game the way he did because it was "worth" that much.  He priced Braid the way he did so that he could stand a chance of making the money back.
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By matthew
    @demontium: Have you ever played Portal?  If so, would you use the same train of thought for that game?  If not, go play that and get back to us with some impressions. 

*edit* 
    Do you know who TheBooya is?  This guy actually works in the industry, has his own company, and knows for a fact what these guys went through...
    Avatar image for providenceofcyrodiil
    ProvidenceofCyrodiil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demontium said:

" @TheBooya said:

" @demontium said:
    Really? No its not, sure in regards to actually getting the product to being published I will give them props, but that has nothing to do with the game THEY made. THEY made the game colorless, with little animation and no music and so on. THEY did that, it had nothing to do with them going around the world begging for someone to publish them. 

Wow, I mean WOW.  They made the game EXACTLY how they wanted to make it, not out of "laziness."  They made an artistic decision on how the game looks and sounds.  Would you accuse Picasso of being "lazy" when he painted the Guernica in black and white?  For that matter,  why do game developers even make 2D games anymore,  is it too much effort for them to make it 3D?

YAWN, whatever.  I only spend my money on games that have multi-million dollar budgets and are AT LEAST the 3rd game in a series.  Its the only way I know I'm getting my money's worth.  Either that or I just make them myself.  Heard of Portal? Yeah, that was totally me.  It's just SO EASY!
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/limbo/5173/why-limbo-didnt-work-for-me-spoilers/433135/ (spoilers, including the end of the game)

I have my own "why Limbo wasn't as good as I had hoped" thread, but I have to agree that saying that the game developers were lazy is just ridiculous.  Having hardly any music in the game and designing it in shades of black and white are both stylistic choices that will appeal to some and repel others.  There's no right or wrong there, only opinion.  Somewhat less debatable is the fact that while games like Braid and Portal were designed around completely unique gameplay designs that had never been seen before, the same cannot be said of Limbo.   Whether or not that really matters is up to the individual playing the game, but at least it's something that is less of a matter personal taste than the art or audio design.

Feel free to read the rest of my thoughts in the link above, but please note that I still think Limbo is a good game.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By immike

I simply don't have enough money right now to justify spending $15 on a 3-4 hour game. It looks interesting, but i'll have to wait.

thebooya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thebooya
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    "  Feel free to read the rest of my thoughts in the link above, but please note that I still think Limbo is a good game. "
    I have total respect for people having their opinions about games, and everyone's never going to agree about each game. I didn't like Braid at all, but I respect what Jonathan Blow accomplished on his own, and I give him mad props for that. Tons of people dug his game, he made his money back, and that's great for him. 

I still have a fundamental problem with the OP,   demontium, assuming that the team was 'Lazy'... absolutely ludicrous. 

Arnt Jensen, the Game Director on this project, had a vision many years ago and did a charcoal drawing of the boy from this game. He then worked with his good friend, Dino Patti, to build an entire company and game from scratch. He didn't cut out music because he was lazy, that was his VISION. He didn't add color (LOTS OF PUBLISHERS ASKED FOR COLOR, trust me) because of his vision for the game. They took their vision, they executed it perfectly to convey that vision, and nothing about it is lazy. 

Hate the game all you want, but it disgusts me that you would question the effort that the team put into making it. They busted their ass on this title, and they accomplished something that less than 1% of game developers in the world will accomplish - that's huge kudos to them.
    Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sedasys

I can see how you think it's overrated, but it's still an amazing game, no question. The team obviously weren't trying to be lazy, they were trying to create something 'artistic', let's say, or that's how it seemed to me. The minimalistic graphics work well with the game. The lack of apparent story can leave you wondering at times. In the quick look they thought the boy could be a demon. The fact that it is left so open is one of the great things about it. It can allow you to make up your own story, in a way.
    Also, you were meant to write effective, not affective.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @emkeighcameron said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    It looks like the lawn gnome from Half-Life 2.  Now that was a badass lawn gnome. "
    Oh My god!
    Are you ten? GTFO
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I don't know about Limbo, but neither mario galaxy 2  nor SSFIV would deserve a perfect score if that score was intended to be universally comparable to all other games.  Mario Galaxy 2 and SSFIV are games for kids or nostalgic old pricks.   For me, I've grown to hate the Nintendo style of games and I hadn't played SF2 when it was new.  I hate the art style of all SF games (even the fat on Honda has muscles -- give me a break: he should have jiggly man-boobs) and the premise behind Mario games is demented.  They're 4/5 games for me at most (just based on their workmanlike technical merits) and "not recommended" for me.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By haggis
    @SpaceInsomniac:  They almost certainly were stylistic choices, but they could also be stylistic excuses. You know, since both choices mean that a whole lot of work (and creativity) is no longer necessary. There is no reason why both cannot be true at the same time. One can simultaneously be making a choice that is motivated by laziness, and then offering a justification for it which is plausible, but silly.

In my opinion, the sound design is not particularly clever. Or unique. Or new. There are some creepy sounds in the background, that's all. It's effective in its own way, but not nearly as effective as a decent soundtrack would have been, coupled with moments of silence to enhance tension. Because there is no music, and the sounds are fairly consistent throughout, the game suffers from a lack of tension. There are no ups and downs, just a monotone. Much like the graphics, in that respect.

Music requires creativity. Silence only required boldness. Was it a bold choice not to have a real soundtrack? Yes. Was it creative? Not particularly. The idea that it is "artistic" not to have a soundtrack is like saying a blank canvas is more artistic than an actual painting. Again, displaying a blank canvas might be bold, and might be making a statement of sorts, but it doesn't require creativity. It is more artistic to paint than to leave a blank canvas. Hence "disappointing" and "overrated" rather than "bad."
    Sly_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sly_Ry
    @demontium said:
    "

"
    You are obnoxious. God forbid artists work hard to create new and unique independent visions we don't often see, while accomplishing wide praise. Dangerously overrated?? I probably speak for many people: Fuck you. 
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#44  Edited By JackiJinx
    @Hailinel said:
    " @emkeighcameron said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    It looks like the lawn gnome from Half-Life 2.  Now that was a badass lawn gnome. "
    Just to set the record straight, that's David the Gnome from David the Gnome. Google that shit because he's got some interesting pictures. 

On topic, I can't believe how many people are letting slip by the comment of the art style being easy and/or lazy. I'm not an artist, but I know it's not easy to get all the right shades of gray to work the way you want them to, and it's remarkable that they made it work so nicely in this instance. Just look at this one image.  

No Caption Provided
    It's not just simple black and white. There's many, many inbetweens going on in this picture, even only on the topmost layer. There are at least 5-6 layers of this complexity with filters going on to affect the lighting elements, background animations, and whatever else needed to be added. The only thing in this shot that is pure black and white is the boy, and that's just to make him stand out in most of the game.  

The style certainly is an artistic choice, but it strongly affects the gameplay as well. Based upon the limitations, that created certain advantages and obstacle to overcome in order to create certain puzzles. For instance, take this puzzle 

If you notice carefully within the first second, what is on those ropes before they drop is not terribly discernible because they blend in with the platforms. This is why most people die the first time they encounter this puzzle. Would this puzzle be nearly as difficult if the bear traps and the platforms weren't the same color? No.

If this game was in color instead, it would've been much easier to make certain elements stand out just by coloring them differently and would've eliminated the effectiveness of certain puzzles, making the outcome of the current Limbo experience impossible. To ask that it be something other than that is to ask it to be a different game entirely, and such a request is unreasonable.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By swamplord666

The experience warranted the £10. The art style is minimalist, but not lazy. There's alot of stuff you can see in the background that looks stunning. That's all I'll say as I can't be bothered to refute everything you've said. Last I'll say is I wholeheartedly disagree with you

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By gearhead
    @demontium said:
    "

"
    I really disagreed with this point. I don't think that the lack of sound and the lack of colors shows lack of effort, yet originality. It gives it a distinct looks that differentiates it from other games, while also engrossing you in the strange and scary place. I think the word 'lazy' though is entirely wrong as this game has been in development for two years, and they didn't just choose the art style to save time, but to do what I said earlier.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By swamplord666
    @TheBooya said:
    " @demontium said:
    I agree with this man. It's cringe worthy seeing teenagers who haven't done a hard days work in their life call developers  who have poured blood, sweat, tears and way too many hours than is healthy into their game all sorts of names. 
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By swamplord666
    @Gearhead: For a game that has very little sound, it does sound EXTREMELY well. I'll never forget running and hearing the overwhelmingly creepy purr of those giant spiders as you're getting chased. Nor the subtle change in music when you encounter *MINOR SPOILERS* the guns for the first time and there is a certain hope in the melody and it died away when you destroyed one. 
    Fantastic sound design IMO.
    actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By actionTACO

"duurrrr, why don't no country for old men has purdy music. coen brothers r lazy. NO STARS" -OP circa 2007

Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
    deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haggis said:
    " @SpaceInsomniac:Again, displaying a blank canvas might be bold, and might be making a statement of sorts, but it doesn't require creativity. It is more artistic to paint than to leave a blank canvas. Hence "disappointing" and "overrated" rather than "bad." "  

Your analogy falls apart.  Your blank canvas is analogous to album with no music, or a game with no gameplay, not a game with no music.  I'm not saying you are wrong overall (I haven't played the game yet, I couldn't tell you if it would be better with music), but the choice not to have music is an artistic one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.