Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2008

Lead the way as a player-created Sackperson in the highly customizable side-scrolling world of LittleBigPlanet, where players can play, create, and share 2.5D levels with their friends and the whole PSN community.

Ryan's Thoughts On This Game (Bombcast 29/10/08)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

"I wish it had some context"

Doesn't he realise that the level designer creates their own level context? I don't get his point?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

He wanted levels built around level design. As in, you have to build a level that can complete task x. But as Jeff mentioned you can do this in order to unlock various trophies so the context is sort of there. I highly doubt that was Media Molecule's intention, however. Levels where there's nothing but, say, object x (which can't be moved or edited, only everything around it can)and it has 3 switches on it and your task is to devise a way to touch all 3 at once using the editing software. That sort of thing. Playing levels has motivating context, creating levels don't because you're creating your own endgame not trying to reach one the game set out for you.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
    ryanwho said:
    "He wanted levels built around level design. As in, you have to build a level that can complete task x. But as Jeff mentioned you can do this in order to unlock various trophies so the context is sort of there. I highly doubt that was Media Molecule's intention, however. Levels where there's nothing but, say, object x (which can't be moved or edited, only everything around it can)and it has 3 switches on it and your task is to devise a way to touch all 3 at once using the editing software. That sort of thing. Playing levels has motivating context, creating levels don't because you're creating your own endgame not trying to reach one the game set out for you."
    But isn't the point that it fulfills your creativity? And there is a trophy for creating a level that gets hearted by 50 people. That's a pretty big feat so there is incentive.

I kinda thought LBP would be great whether your creating levels or seeing what others play. Meh.

Surely if you have to create levels to achieve certain tasks you lose the WHOLE creativity aspect?
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Knives
    get2sammyb said:
    "ryanwho said:
    "He wanted levels built around level design. As in, you have to build a level that can complete task x. But as Jeff mentioned you can do this in order to unlock various trophies so the context is sort of there. I highly doubt that was Media Molecule's intention, however. Levels where there's nothing but, say, object x (which can't be moved or edited, only everything around it can)and it has 3 switches on it and your task is to devise a way to touch all 3 at once using the editing software. That sort of thing. Playing levels has motivating context, creating levels don't because you're creating your own endgame not trying to reach one the game set out for you."
    But isn't the point that it fulfills your creativity? And there is a trophy for creating a level that gets hearted by 50 people. That's a pretty big feat so there is incentive.

I kinda thought LBP would be great whether your creating levels or seeing what others play. Meh.

Surely if you have to create levels to achieve certain tasks you lose the WHOLE creativity aspect?"
    No, you would use creativity to complete your objective. It's not like there would only be one way to do it.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb

Hmmm... well his vision for the game sounds bloody awful if that's what he's thinking.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Knives
    get2sammyb said:
    "Hmmm... well his vision for the game sounds bloody awful if that's what he's thinking."
    I disagree. It would be better than the current game by far. Imagine building these awesome, creative LBP levels to satisfy some sort of objective. That would be cool.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb
    Knives said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "Hmmm... well his vision for the game sounds bloody awful if that's what he's thinking."
    I disagree. It would be better than the current game by far. Imagine building these awesome, creative LBP levels to satisfy some sort of objective. That would be cool."
    But it wouldn't work. How can you be truely creative if you're having to - for example - get to the other end of the level in 10 seconds (or whatever). And how would you share that content? Nah... urgh... you're ruining the essence of what LBP is all about.
    DK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DK

ryan sounds like he isn't very good at the game and is frustrated w/the controls, and would rather have the game play more like mario. He does seem at least somewhat determined to not like the game, also he seems to be missing the point of the level creation; he seems to think that the level creation tools should be a part of the story mode or something which is not the idea. But then again, ryan is usually just saying stuff to go against the grain of what all the other guys think.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Knives
    get2sammyb said:
    "Knives said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    I disagree. It would be better than the current game by far. Imagine building these awesome, creative LBP levels to satisfy some sort of objective. That would be cool."
    But it wouldn't work. How can you be truely creative if you're having to - for example - get to the other end of the level in 10 seconds (or whatever). And how would you share that content? Nah... urgh... you're ruining the essence of what LBP is all about."
    I didn't say you can't create and share levels. But as far as platforming goes, LBP is lacking.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    DK said:
    "ryan sounds like he isn't very good at the game and is frustrated w/the controls, and would rather have the game play more like mario. He does seem at least somewhat determined to not like the game, also he seems to be missing the point of the level creation; he seems to think that the level creation tools should be a part of the story mode or something which is not the idea. But then again, ryan is usually just saying stuff to go against the grain of what all the other guys think."
    I don't think he's determined to not like the game but I get that point coming across a bit. I think Brad was spot on when he said "just because you can't conceive what people are going to create doesn't mean other people can't" - and that's kinda the point.

I'm really interested in what other people make... even if I only make rockets myself. Because you see, in 6 months time the community will eclipse the things that MM have made for the story. It's fair to say that 80% of us won't be able to make anything decent but that's not the games fault.

It's like saying you won't read a book because you can't write one yourself -- even though you have paper and pens.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Knives

Ryan was wanting LBP to be more like World of Goo, or that game where you draw pictures to move that ball from point A to point B.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Teoball

I get what Ryan is talking about and I totally agree. If they made a good single player(co-op) portion with a cool story or something then maybe I'd be interested. Playing user made levels and creating stuff? Not for me.

Like Jeff likes to say "I get why people like it, it's just not for me".

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By dtran1212

when it comes to user created games like LBP that has thousands of things to mess around with, it can be intimidating to some people. I think LBP is a kind of game that requires a lot of patience and if you experienced that sudden "click" that makes you say, "man, i can actually do this", than you'll finally realize what this game can offer. but anyways, i cant wait for them to get the server straighten out so the real fun can begin.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

get2sammyb said:
    "Knives said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    But it wouldn't work. How can you be truely creative if you're having to - for example - get to the other end of the level in 10 seconds (or whatever). And how would you share that content? Nah... urgh... you're ruining the essence of what LBP is all about."
    I agree with knives, level editors aren't supposed to have objectives, especially not this one. In Line Rider DS, for example, having objectives work, but that is a game where you don't even control the player, you just build things.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Discorsi

Yea i agree with Ryan's view on the "game."

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

He simply means, there is no overall goal in the game, or incentive to create and share your own levels, play other peoples levels, other than just doing it because you choose to....you can't really deny that, you're either into it because you simply like the game and completely for fun, or for people like him that want an overall goal, if it doesn't get you at first it may just not be their game. Really shouldn't matter what his opinion is if it isn't the same as some of yours, if it was anyone else that wasn't someone from the bombcast this wouldn't even be bought up.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Pibo47
    Teoball said:
    "I get what Ryan is talking about and I totally agree. If they made a good single player(co-op) portion with a cool story or something then maybe I'd be interested. Playing user made levels and creating stuff? Not for me.

Like Jeff likes to say "I get why people like it, it's just not for me"."
    I completly agree with you, this game is just not for me.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead

Ryan has the same thought as I do. I don't want to make my own level then play it, that is not fun because you already know it off by heart, or having to rely on the user base which is something I am definitely not prepared to do.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By BawlZINmotion
    LCad said:
    "While not having played the game, I agree with Ryan "so hard" here.  I don't see the point of just "doing stuff" in games.  There has to be a clear objective and reward."
    There are clear objectives and rewards, it's just a matter of what they mean to you. If a person has no interest in creating their own stuff they likely won't feel rewarded. There are hundreds of prize bubbles containing stickers, docorations, costumes and a number of other things you'll be able to inject into the creation aspect. In this manner the reward of playing the story levels is to build a larger and deeper set of tools to use whilst creating. However if creating doesn't appeal to a person, that person will likely find the game unrewarding. It also depends what kind of gamer a person is. I don't play games for rewards, I play them because I like to play them. Rewards just make me feel like I'm following a carrot. There are secret challenge stages to unlock, price bubbles to collect, trophies to obtain and levels to ace (complete without dying) in LittleBigPlanet. However the game isn't for everyone and i definitely recommend trying it first.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mourne
    Pibo47 said:
    "Teoball said:
    "I get what Ryan is talking about and I totally agree. If they made a good single player(co-op) portion with a cool story or something then maybe I'd be interested. Playing user made levels and creating stuff? Not for me.

Like Jeff likes to say "I get why people like it, it's just not for me"."
    I completly agree with you, this game is just not for me."
    Have to say, I'm in the same boat.
    Tangeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tangeu

Yea I totally agree with Ryan on this one, especially his sentiment on how not being a creator myself I can get much of the experience through youtube

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By get2sammyb
    tangeu said:
    "Yea I totally agree with Ryan on this one, especially his sentiment on how not being a creator myself I can get much of the experience through youtube"
    That's ridiculous. Can he go on Youtube and play a perfect 2D platformer rendition of Mirrors Edge then?

If you're not a creator you get a constant stream of user generated content to play. If you are a creator then you have the ability to build whatever you want. Your reward is people playing the level you spent time making and enjoying it.

What would people want to make such an open-variety of things to do linear?
    teekazeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By teekazeek

I see where both sides are coming from here.  I've played through the entire story mode and really enjoyed it.  From a platformer standpoint I thought it was a solid game.  It's certainly not the best  platformer I've played but it was enjoyable and adequately challenging at parts.  It's story elements were weak but then again are Mario's really that strong either?  I'm pretty sure we've been playing the same story for 20 plus years now (and I've been enjoying it, don't get me wrong).  LBP does offer something different, that may or may not appeal to folks.  If it doesn't I completely understand that b/c it's quite an involved process and intimidating to me.

One of the things I did early on was get into the level editor tools.  I think I played the first level and then tried out the tools to see what I had in my tool box (not that much at the beginning).  I started going through the tutorial and quickly became overcome with what all the tools could do.  I decided to quit that for a while and play through the game.  It was when I took the game from that perspective that I fell in love with the game.  After briefly familiarizing myself with the tools, the levels themselves took on a whole new meaning.  They were almost like awesome examples of what I could do with the game if I wanted.  They conveyed simple story elements in outstandingly creative ways.  The more I played and unlocked tools and items the more I couldn't wait to get back into the level editor and try out some ideas.  If I had ignored the level editor and just played the game I don't think I would have the appreciating for what Media Molecule has done.

Now this certainly may not appeal to a some people.  And that's understandable.  Some people like bullet point objectives and an arrow pointing them to their location.  The objectives of the game are somewhat gray.  Could the game have given you more objectives by having you design a level to accomplish task X or Y?  Sure it could have.  Then it would be something like Incredible Machines though.  As it stands LBP takes a little bit from here and there and combines it into a package that's going to be a milestone for gaming.  LBP is a sandbox game in every sense of the word.  That's not appealing to some people but I certainly dig it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead
    get2sammyb said:
    "tangeu said:
    "Yea I totally agree with Ryan on this one, especially his sentiment on how not being a creator myself I can get much of the experience through youtube"
    That's ridiculous. Can he go on Youtube and play a perfect 2D platformer rendition of Mirrors Edge then?"
    Well no, but there is no point in actually playing a 2D rendition of Mirrors Edge besides to think 'Oh, that was pretty good' and that's something I could definitely do on YouTube.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#26  Edited By vigorousjammer
    Tarsier said:
    "Let me get this straight, is Ryan complaining that there is no point to the levels? Can you actually not make an end goal to your maps?
    Like collect ten keys or something to unlock a door, can you do that? Or is the point of the game just screwing around with the editor and making stuff move in funny ways?
    "
    You can make an end gate to your level, you can create your own goals... so the fact that there is no objective is stupid, because you can MAKE YOUR OWN OBJECTIVE...
    The satisfaction I get from creating a level is the same kind of satisfaction I get from playing Rock Band...
    I can't actually do it, so I'll do it the fake way and have fun!
    Not to mention the game totally taps into my creative side... some people see level creation in any game to be boring, but I see it as being extremely engaging.
    teekazeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teekazeek
    Vigorousjammer said:
    "Tarsier said:
    "Let me get this straight, is Ryan complaining that there is no point to the levels? Can you actually not make an end goal to your maps?
    Like collect ten keys or something to unlock a door, can you do that? Or is the point of the game just screwing around with the editor and making stuff move in funny ways?
    "
    You can make an end gate to your level, you can create your own goals... so the fact that there is no objective is stupid, because you can MAKE YOUR OWN OBJECTIVE...
    The satisfaction I get from creating a level is kind of the same satisfaction I get from playing Rock Band...
    I can't actually do it, so I'll do it the fake way and have fun!"
    The difference being that you can, in theory, make levels on par or better than the levels provided by Media Molecule.  So you are actually being a level designer.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#28  Edited By vigorousjammer
    teekazeek said:
    "Vigorousjammer said:
    "Tarsier said:
    "
    The satisfaction I get from creating a level is kind of the same satisfaction I get from playing Rock Band...
    I can't actually do it, so I'll do it the fake way and have fun!"
    The difference being that you can, in theory, make levels on par or better than the levels provided by Media Molecule.  So you are actually being a level designer.
    "
    Well, yeah, but i mean, some people may argue like "well why don't you just go out and make your own game?!"
    just like how some people argue "well why don't you just go play real guitar?" when it comes to Rock Band or Guitar Hero...

and my response to both of those questions is "because I can't"
    that is what makes LittleBigPlanet so awesome, because now I can do something that I can't in real life...
    it's the same thing with Rock Band... I can't really play guitar or drums...
    and it's the same thing with, say... Ninja Gaiden...
    I can't really go out and chop off heads... not without some repercussions, at least...

Overall, I play video games to do stuff I can't do in real life... and LBP scratches that same itch...
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By FesteringNeon

didn't he play the whole single player through? You're saving the creatures of LBP :P haha -objective.. and reward (feeling all warm and toasty inside)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By BoG

Reading through the various arguments, I'm beginning to see how context could have been given to the editor, and improved the game. Sure, some find satisfaction in simply crafting fun levels, but for others, the incentive isn't there. I make a level, I know the tricks, it's not fun for me. Other people can make levels for me to enjoy, but for an individual, there is little reward for creating something.
    Perhaps, they could have done more with the editor to get people more engaged into it.  Maybe there is a big wall, and you must build a wrecking machine in the editor to take it down. It could be really simple, but really fun. There could have been so many possibilities for that kind of design. I guess we'll have to wait for LittleBigPlanet 2.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By get2sammyb
    BoG said:
    "Reading through the various arguments, I'm beginning to see how context could have been given to the editor, and improved the game. Sure, some find satisfaction in simply crafting fun levels, but for others, the incentive isn't there. I make a level, I know the tricks, it's not fun for me. Other people can make levels for me to enjoy, but for an individual, there is little reward for creating something.
    Perhaps, they could have done more with the editor to get people more engaged into it.  Maybe there is a big wall, and you must build a wrecking machine in the editor to take it down. It could be really simple, but really fun. There could have been so many possibilities for that kind of design. I guess we'll have to wait for LittleBigPlanet 2."
    It's something they could include as DLC I presume. They just create a new moon called "challenge" moon - and then fill it with destinations that have various challenges.

I think so long as it wasn't the FOCUS for the game it would be ok. I still like the idea of being able to make whatever the hell I like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.