Lumines: Electronic Symphony was a launch title for the PlayStation Vita that was developed by Q Entertainment and was published by Ubisoft Entertainment.
The latest version of Lumines keeps the classic formula of Lumines intact while adding new features. Players can now rotate falling blocks with their finger on the front touch screen although, if preferred, a traditional button setup is available. The player's avatar also now comes with special abilities, one set for single-player and another for multiplayer. There is a total of 42 different avatars from which the player can select and 5 different abilities shared between the avatars.
The 5 single-player special abilities are:
- Chain Reaction - Which changes the next waiting block into a Chain Block
- Hang Time - Which increases the wait time of the next blocks for a set period of time.
- Hold the Line - Which stops the Time Line temporarily.
- Giant Steps - Which changes all 3 waiting blocks into single-color blocks.
- Instant Remix - Which changes the next waiting block into a Shuffle Block.
The 5 multiplayer abilities are:
- Invisible Man - Which changes one of your opponent's next waiting blocks into a Transparent Block.
- The Vortex - Which randomizes your opponent's block rotation direction.
- Giant Steps - Which has the same effect as single-player.
- Hang Time - Which has the same effect as single-player.
- Hold the Line - Which has the same effect as single-player.
In addition, the game now employs an experience system to unlock skins rather than the progression methods of the preceding games. It also uses dynamically-lit 3D models for the blocks instead of 2D sprites.
The developers originally pitched the idea for the game as Daft Punk: Lumines, wanting to reboot the franchise. While Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Horem-Christo were interested in the idea, having already appeared in DJ Hero as playable characters, the duo wanted to create all new material and mixes for the games but were unable to as they were already hard at work on the Tron: Legacy soundtrack and what would eventually become Random Access Memories.
The soundtrack includes a wide selection of licensed songs. Q Entertainment described the soundtrack as a "love letter to electronic music".
The song list is in order of appearance in the main Voyage mode.
- "The Future of the Future (Stay Gold)" - Deep Dish feat. Tracey Horn
- "Good Girl" - Benny Benassi
- "Moistly" - LFO
- "4AM" - Kaskade
- "In My Arms" - Mylo
- "Sunriser (Publicmind Remix)" - Kem Ishii
- "Hey Boy Hey Girl" - The Chemical Brothers
- "Autumn Love" - SCSI-9
- "Disco Infiltrator" - LCD Soundsystem
- "Yesterday When I Was Mad (Jam & Spoon Mix)" - Pet Shop Boys
- "Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin
- "Bang Bang Bang" - Mark Ronson & the Business
- "Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song)" - The Safri Duo
- "Close (to the Edit)" - Art of Noise
- "Embracing the Future" - BT
- "Automatons" - Anything Box
- "The Sun Rising" - The Beloved
- "Pacific 707" - 808 State
- "What's Your Number (Jassanova Renumber)" - Ian Pooley
- "Flyin' Hi" - Faithless
- "Higher State of Consciousness (Deep & Slow Chill Edit)" - Wink
- "Wooden Toy" - Amon Tobin
- "Superstar" - Aeroplane
- "Apollo Throwdown" - The Go! Team
- "Celebrate Our Love" - Howard Love
- "Kelly Watch the Stars" - Air
- "Aganjù" - Bebel Gilberto
- "Rocket (Tiesto Remix)" - Goldfrapp
- "Wolfgang's 5th Symphony" - Wolfgang Gartner
- "Dissolve" - The Chemical Brothers
- "Out of the Blue" - System F
- "Gouryella" - Gouryella
Also, Orbital's "Never" is used for the credits of the game.
Like all of the PS Vita games, Lumines: Electronic Symphony is offered as a direct download and has a total size 722 MB before downloading any updates.
Lumines Electronic Symphony controversially lacks a Platinum Trophy. In an interview, James Mielke (Producer at Q-Entertainment) explained that this was due to human error. He explained that the team assumed that all retail games automatically had a Platinum Trophy for completing all other Trophy's. In reality, the Trophy has to be manually entered, meaning that Lumines Electronic Symphony shipped without.