Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MadWorld

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 10, 2009

MadWorld is an artistically stylized over the top action game for the Wii created by Platinum Games. The main character, Jack, must compete in a kill or be killed TV show called Death Watch and gains points for the most brutal kills he can pull off.

Funniest game of 09 ?

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n
    Black, white and red baby !
    Thumbs up for Madworld so far. Played through the first 2 "chapters" earlier today and let me tell you. This game is hella funny. But before I write anything else, let me just tell you about my sense of humor. Really "laughing out loud" movies for me are stuff like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Zombie Strippers or Crank. I love cheesy B movie gore, well written, super witty dialogue with loads of swearing and an overblown sense of "coolness". Madworld delivers in spades. Madworld is super cool, super NOT serious about itself and its violent as all hell...and its completely radical ! First and foremost I am totally in love with the concept. A "terrorist" organisation has sealed of a big portion of this New York´ish city and the intro shows news stories concerning this big thing. Turns out this sealed of city is the payground for an extreme TV Show where sponsored players get to rack up points by executing the most violent kills ever seen in videogame history.

There is constantl chatter from two commentators. Their dialogue is seriously funny and one of them is also the voice of Marcus Fenix (aka John Di Maggio, one of the best voiceactors around) which just adds to the awesomeness. There´s pretty heavy hip hop playing in the background (that switches to happy TV show tunes during challenges) and theres loads and loads of swearing. When progressing through the stages this pimp named the Black baron comes in and gives you challenges. The challenges are gorefests like you´ve never seen them before and the lines spoken by the black baron while introducing these are HILARIOUS.
    I have not laughed so hard at a game´s pure sense of humor in years and years. They hit my twisted sense for whats funny just spot on.

Madness..
    Madness..
    Except the troublesome camera and the sloppy lock on mechanic the game feels great to play. The motions of the Wiimote are used to give you a superb sense of really doing these violent movements on screen. locking onto a thug, picking a street sign up and drilling it through his head to then advance to putting him into a barrel head first, picking the barrel up and then smashing him onto a spiked wall 5 times is just one of the overviolent combinations you can do. And the more creative you are with your killing the more points you rack up. Why not unleash a barrage of punches on a dude and then smash him into a huge sawblade or toss a guy onto another guy so that they both fly into a "meat dumpster" that cuts them in half, sending their upper bodies flying out of it. Put people headfirst into the toilet which they are standing over vomiting, killing them with their own vomit or just hold B to whip out your arm mounted chainsaw and start cutting people in all angles.
    The game is seriously sick. But its so extremely over the top that it becomes funny.

Yes its an airplane engine...
    When you´ve racked up enough points on a stage its time for the bossbattle and the two I have fought so far was really something... The battles are a combination of quick time events and timing ending up in an interactive cutscene which lets you kill the boss in the most overblown, overvoilent, over the top way ever with his own weapons, eventually ending up in me laughing hard at the insanity.
    This is by far the most voilent game I´ve played ever and its superb writing, good music and sense of both style and humor takes this game up to a level of pure gaming love for me. Its so so very stylish and "tarantino"esque in both its graphics and its story.
    I haven´t written a blog in a while and I meant to write this one about Resident Evil 5 and GTA Chinatown Wars, two really sweet games that I´ve been enoying lately. But the 40 minutes I spent with Madworld today made me write about this instead..
    If I´ve understood this right the studio developing this are also developing Bayonetta? If thats the case I am now even more hyped about that title than I already was. If they can do miracles like this with the Wii I almost dare not think about what they can do with some hardware power under the hood.
    Own a Wii and enjoy really mature humor? Well what are you waiting for?
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By jimbo_n
    Thumbs up for Madworld so far. Played through the first 2 "chapters" earlier today and let me tell you. This game is hella funny. But before I write anything else, let me just tell you about my sense of humor. Really "laughing out loud" movies for me are stuff like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Zombie Strippers or Crank. I love cheesy B movie gore, well written, super witty dialogue with loads of swearing and an overblown sense of "coolness". Madworld delivers in spades. Madworld is super cool, super NOT serious about itself and its violent as all hell...and its completely radical ! First and foremost I am totally in love with the concept. A "terrorist" organisation has sealed of a big portion of this New York´ish city and the intro shows news stories concerning this big thing. Turns out this sealed of city is the payground for an extreme TV Show where sponsored players get to rack up points by executing the most violent kills ever seen in videogame history.

There is constantl chatter from two commentators. Their dialogue is seriously funny and one of them is also the voice of Marcus Fenix (aka John Di Maggio, one of the best voiceactors around) which just adds to the awesomeness. There´s pretty heavy hip hop playing in the background (that switches to happy TV show tunes during challenges) and theres loads and loads of swearing. When progressing through the stages this pimp named the Black baron comes in and gives you challenges. The challenges are gorefests like you´ve never seen them before and the lines spoken by the black baron while introducing these are HILARIOUS.
    I have not laughed so hard at a game´s pure sense of humor in years and years. They hit my twisted sense for whats funny just spot on.

Madness..
    Madness..
    Except the troublesome camera and the sloppy lock on mechanic the game feels great to play. The motions of the Wiimote are used to give you a superb sense of really doing these violent movements on screen. locking onto a thug, picking a street sign up and drilling it through his head to then advance to putting him into a barrel head first, picking the barrel up and then smashing him onto a spiked wall 5 times is just one of the overviolent combinations you can do. And the more creative you are with your killing the more points you rack up. Why not unleash a barrage of punches on a dude and then smash him into a huge sawblade or toss a guy onto another guy so that they both fly into a "meat dumpster" that cuts them in half, sending their upper bodies flying out of it. Put people headfirst into the toilet which they are standing over vomiting, killing them with their own vomit or just hold B to whip out your arm mounted chainsaw and start cutting people in all angles.
    The game is seriously sick. But its so extremely over the top that it becomes funny.

When you´ve racked up enough points on a stage its time for the bossbattle and the two I have fought so far was really something... The battles are a combination of quick time events and timing ending up in an interactive cutscene which lets you kill the boss in the most overblown, overvoilent, over the top way ever with his own weapons, eventually ending up in me laughing hard at the insanity.
    This is by far the most voilent game I´ve played ever and its superb writing, good music and sense of both style and humor takes this game up to a level of pure gaming love for me. Its so so very stylish and "tarantino"esque in both its graphics and its story.
    I haven´t written a blog in a while and I meant to write this one about Resident Evil 5 and GTA Chinatown Wars, two really sweet games that I´ve been enoying lately. But the 40 minutes I spent with Madworld today made me write about this instead..
    If I´ve understood this right the studio developing this are also developing Bayonetta? If thats the case I am now even more hyped about that title than I already was. If they can do miracles like this with the Wii I almost dare not think about what they can do with some hardware power under the hood.
    Own a Wii and enjoy really mature humor? Well what are you waiting for?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.