Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

Can somebody fill me in?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Well, i tried playing the first Mafia a few months ago because ive never heard of it before, and though it seemed just incredible for a goddamn 2002 game, i still found it unsatisfying for mid 2009.. so i stopped playing. u feelin me right? 

Anyway. im getting the new game ofcourse, and usually i like to play the first part of a game franchise, watch the first part of a movie series or listen to the first album of a series of concept albums, but sometimes i think its O.K. not to... i played HL2 without playing the first cuz its too old, and i understood everything just fine. 

So, can someone tell me, if you know, how the new game is related to the first? i understand that the first puts you in the shoes of the main guy where you work your way to the top of the organized crime ladder until you decide to work with the police in order to start a new life.         

The new game continues from where?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

I may be wrong, but I believe that the new game is mostly unrelated to the original. It just shares the similarity of setting and Mafia theme. I think it is a few years into the future as well. The details may be shaky because I have not heard news on this game for awhile.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " I may be wrong, but I believe that the new game is mostly unrelated to the original. It just shares the similarity of setting and Mafia theme. I think it is a few years into the future as well. The details may be shaky because I have not heard news on this game for awhile. "
    actually the protagonist looks the same to me, with the same voice. and somebody called the first game a prequel to this one (on the new trailer's comment board)
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Gump

It's not a prequel, Mafia II is a non-linear sequel to the original game.

And I disagree, the first Mafia is still a fantastic game despite its age so...
    I DON'T FEEL YA RIGHT.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Gunner

Its not directly connected to the first game, but its set in the same mafia world/families if im not mistaken.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @RHCPfan24 said:
    " I may be wrong, but I believe that the new game is mostly unrelated to the original. It just shares the similarity of setting and Mafia theme. I think it is a few years into the future as well. The details may be shaky because I have not heard news on this game for awhile. "
    actually the protagonist looks the same to me, with the same voice. and somebody called the first game a prequel to this one (on the new trailer's comment board) "
    I see we are all taking guesses here, myself included. According to the GB wiki page, Vito Scalleta is the character for the new game and he was not in the last one. But I believe it is all in the same universe with prior events occurring.
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ozzdog12

Mafia takes place in the 30's, Mafia 2 takes place in the 50's in the same city

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Meowshi

You obviously never finished Mafia, if you think it's the same character.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    @ozzdog12 said:
    " Mafia takes place in the 30's, Mafia 2 takes place in the 50's in the same city "
    No it doesn't. Mafia took place in Lost Haven and Mafia 2 will be in Empire City
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ozzdog12
    @Buck_Sexington said:
    " @ozzdog12 said:
    " Mafia takes place in the 30's, Mafia 2 takes place in the 50's in the same city "
    No it doesn't. Mafia took place in Lost Haven and Mafia 2 will be in Empire City "
    Well there you go..
    TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TeamJersey

Empire City, from what I understand, is supposed to be based on New York City.  I don't remember Lost Haven being based on anything...perhaps L.A.?  Hell, it's been along time since I played it. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @CaLe said:
    " I'll fill you in. In Mafia 1 you played a mob guy who did a lot of bad stuff. After doing that bad stuff you try to get away from it all and try to live a clean life in a white picket fence style house. Only it doesn't stay white for long, it gets a paint job, only it's not paint, it's blood from the hole in your chest. That bad stuff you did way back when caught up with you and now your white picket fence is red and not white. That's about it.   Actually let me change that. You get away from it all and think you are having a nice relaxing day just watering your lawn, only it's not water, it's your own blood. Yeah, that bad stuff you did wasn't forgotten and Mr. Sallieri sent his regards, after the fact. "
    you are a die-hard Metalocalypse fan 

Respect!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.