See MAG In Action

• 89 results
Posted by Jeff (3400 posts) -
When it was briefly mentioned during E3 last year, I wasn't quite sure what to think of MAG, the "Massive Action Game" that Zipper has been working on instead of a proper sequel to SOCOM. 256 players just sounds like one of those pie-in-the-sky numbers that doesn't make sense when you apply it to a primarily peer-to-peer network. But the brief tidbits of information were certainly enough to put it pretty high on my list of "things I wish I knew more about."

Today, a few more reports are creeping across the Internet from people who have gotten their hands on the thing at a recent Sony event. It sounds like it's pretty bad-ass. If you're at all interested in important first-person shooters with new and exciting online action, you'll want to check this stuff out. First, here's the new video: 

And there are a couple of hands-on reports you should also check out from Joystiq and Destructoid if you want to know more about how the game will actually work.

Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3400 posts) -
When it was briefly mentioned during E3 last year, I wasn't quite sure what to think of MAG, the "Massive Action Game" that Zipper has been working on instead of a proper sequel to SOCOM. 256 players just sounds like one of those pie-in-the-sky numbers that doesn't make sense when you apply it to a primarily peer-to-peer network. But the brief tidbits of information were certainly enough to put it pretty high on my list of "things I wish I knew more about."

Today, a few more reports are creeping across the Internet from people who have gotten their hands on the thing at a recent Sony event. It sounds like it's pretty bad-ass. If you're at all interested in important first-person shooters with new and exciting online action, you'll want to check this stuff out. First, here's the new video: 

And there are a couple of hands-on reports you should also check out from Joystiq and Destructoid if you want to know more about how the game will actually work.

Staff
#2 Posted by RobDaFunk (336 posts) -

Pretty KIK-ASS.....Will it work right tho???

#3 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Hmm, this looks pretty cool.

#4 Edited by Benjamimmy (565 posts) -

god i can just see the lag now...

looks good but i hope MAG won't end up being LAG (laggy action game)

#5 Posted by RobDaFunk (336 posts) -

PS.....It won't be anywhere near MW2 either.... ;)

#6 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Eh. Too much chaos.

#7 Posted by Th3dz (332 posts) -

like battlefield... but you die alot more?!

#8 Edited by Demodocus (236 posts) -

Even though it looks cool.  I can't imagine 256 players being a fun and lag free experience.  Just put 256 players on a map all with grenades and see what kind of game it turns into.

#9 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Looks good, Battlefield could use some competition.

#10 Posted by bobpie24 (100 posts) -

lllllllllaaaaaaaaggggggggg!

#11 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

Im still waiting for Massive Online Radical Game.

I dont like it when games seem realistic...but then give you slightly unrealistic bonuses like faster reload times or faster speed...that always bugs me for some reason.

#12 Posted by iExile (11 posts) -

I wonder what the haters will say when M.A.G wins FPS of the year. :)

Will you admit that you were wrong for doubting one of the best developers out there or will you accuse Sony of buying good reviews? Either way I can't wait to see more of this.

#13 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

it looks amazing i really hope that Zipper gets the lag problem out of the picture though because this game has a ton of potential

#14 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

@Exile
I think it's way to early to even say anything about MAG winning best FPS.

And this game has potential for sure, but that name, is just so terrible. 

#15 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

It looks alright.... I think the results of Microsoft's Donny Brook project, will be far better than this, given their resources.

#16 Posted by Laticsfan (596 posts) -

Looks like a new Joint Operations, I wonder if it will be as good.

#17 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

It looks really good but is this an exclusive for the PS3? I'm having some trouble figuring out how everyone will coordinate without a microphone.

#18 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

awesome

#19 Posted by alConn (153 posts) -

This better not come out anytime around MW2, because I predict that game is going to OWN my life.

#20 Posted by Metiphis (388 posts) -

In a 30 man game of Battlefield:Bad Company you can get killed multiple times even right after respawning, I can only imagine the annoyance of having 256 people in close proximity to each other...

#21 Posted by poser (379 posts) -

Wow, looks great.... shame it's not on PC...

#22 Posted by TheIneffableBob (243 posts) -

Meh.

#23 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

Without a PC release, I can't picture myself purchasing this game. Shame too, because it looks fantastic.

#24 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

Just imagine the entire PSN population all playing MAG at the same time, all 256 with  no mics :p

#25 Posted by theMcNasty (741 posts) -

ROFL.  PSN is a fucking joke.  No way can their network coding hold 256 together.

#26 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Damn.  That looks great.
Wish it was coming to XBLA as well. T__T

#27 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Can't wait to see

1) PSN to explode from trying to work this.
2) Trying to actually find a game with more that 100 people.
3) How to live more than 3 secs without dying.
4) People trying to organize a plan when 250/256 don't have mics.

#28 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

Do you guys see anything remarkable about this game besides it's player number?
It's neat to have that many people fighting at once on a map, and I am a bit interested, but that seems to be it's only selling point.

#29 Posted by randiolo (1090 posts) -

geez it only takes one video for everyone without a ps3  to start shitting on it. I dont think they would develop this if they knew it was impossible to accomplish.

#30 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

@ randiolo

i know right?? its like they're jealous or somethin. They want this game to fail so they won't have to feel bad about themselves.

#31 Posted by Ishoturface (421 posts) -

i smell epic failure on the horizon

#32 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

i think people are confusing things a bit. They said this was essentially an FPS MMO so most battles will probably only be around 20-30 player fights spread out in the game world. not 256 people on the same map

#33 Posted by Nasar7 (2587 posts) -

The whole "fight through the ranks, earn the right to command" bit sounds interesting. I love how FPS fans criticize the supposed lack of innovation in new games of the genre, as if any FPS games that came out in the last 5 years have been all that innovative.

#34 Posted by MachoFantastico (4479 posts) -

Sweet, I laughed at the idea when it was announced. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong!

#35 Edited by Demodocus (236 posts) -

@ randiolo and LiveOrDie1212

I own and love the ps3.  It has nothing to do with people wanting it to fail.  Its just the fact that 256 players in a match is just too much.  There are already lag problems with 16 player games on consoles.  peer to peer networks are not going to support that many players without lag problems.  Now if they hosted the matches on their own servers then it would work.  Otherwise its just going to be nearly impossible to find lag free matches with 255 other players.

I also agree with some other comments saying it will be hard to communicate with other users because the lack of mics.  Usually about 5 to 10 of 32 player matches in killzone 2 have mics.  Thats just not enough.  Its frustrating not being able to communicate with your teammates. 

If they want this to be a great success, they need to host the matches on their own servers(Which would cause subscription fees), package headsets with all copies, and make the maps massive enough so players will not be constantly spawning on top of each other.

#36 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3535 posts) -
randiolo said:
"geez it only takes one video for everyone without a ps3  to start shitting on it. I dont think they would develop this if they knew it was impossible to accomplish. "
To be perfectly fair, I don't have a PS3 and I was shitting on it before any videos were released.

256 players = clusterfuck, just as OnLive = lag filled gameplay.  It's not that these things can't be done, it's that the first attempt out of the gate rarely gets it right.  PS3 has plenty of exlusive titles to be excited about--Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 come to mind--but this game still has a lot to prove.

#37 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I can sense that this game will be laggy at most times.

#38 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

Mind = BLOWN Looks super cool

#39 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

I doubt lag will be an issue. R2 was fine, obviously this is 4 times the amount of people, but god knows how much work they've put into this. They could be done besides the polishing and tweaking of the online stuff.

#40 Posted by Unholyburger (13 posts) -

Hopefully this will be good, I was always a fan of battlefield like games. Ill probably wait a month or two to see if it's stable or not.

#41 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Nah...I'll skip this.

#42 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

lets see if it holds up

#43 Posted by randiolo (1090 posts) -

i agree that a head set should be packed in with MAG. But i dont agree that people are giving it its last rights b4 its had a chance to prove anything. no one knows how much untapped potential is left in the ps3, im assuming their is a fair amount and that we should just wait n see..

#44 Posted by Krenor (467 posts) -

I could see how lag could destroy this game, but if they do it right it could be fun except for the dying a lot more thing. I just wonder why no one tried this on PC before.

#45 Posted by MjHealy (1817 posts) -

Wait, is this a PSN game? Because that would be a big ass download.

#46 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

wow looks good
alot of people are condeming this game already,
i don't think lag will be an issue zipper made a statement declaring that they have developed technology to eradicate problems with connection,

#47 Posted by FLStyle (4536 posts) -

Oh wow, if there's the slight chance that this'll work without lag I'm totally there.

I'm gonna be Leeroy Jenkins' it all over the place!
#48 Posted by artofwar420 (6249 posts) -

It kinda looks like Warhawk, but more massive.

#49 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

If this works and is as good as the Joystiq preview makes it out to be then I might just have to buy a PS3.  The scale and squad combat emphasis make it sound very interesting

#50 Posted by randiolo (1090 posts) -
FLStyle said:
"Oh wow, if there's the slight chance that this'll work without lag I'm totally there.

I'm gonna be' it all over the place!
"
lol Leeroy Jenkins.. that was the funnest video

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.