Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario Kart 7

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Dec 04, 2011

The first stereoscopic 3D edition of the premiere Kart Racing series starring Nintendo's famous mascots and the seventh home release in the franchise (ninth overall). It has a new first-person mode and kart customizations.

OK so Mario Kart 7 Tipped me over the edge

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Edited By nutta27

Last year I was adamant....I was being down right stubborn. No I am not buying a 3DS no way. There is no game that will make me purchase it. Nothing. I guess I was wrong....oops.

As you can probably tell from the above paragraph, just this second I have ordered a 3DS (aqua one it looks nice). I guess I have Ryan, Brad and Patrick to thank for my purchase. Well them and their quick look. Was it the wrong decision? Probably. Will I play it? I doubt it, maybe on my holiday next August. But even then I have a kindle coming on the 25th.

It wasn't that bad really £130, it will arrive Tuesday along with Mario Kart 7. I guess the only question to ask now is. What games should I get? This and Super Mario Bros. are a given but what else? Maybe Zelda? Suggestions please.

P.S

I WILL NOT BUY A VITA....NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.P.S Uncharted: Golden Abyss looks pretty good ;)

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nutta27

Last year I was adamant....I was being down right stubborn. No I am not buying a 3DS no way. There is no game that will make me purchase it. Nothing. I guess I was wrong....oops.

As you can probably tell from the above paragraph, just this second I have ordered a 3DS (aqua one it looks nice). I guess I have Ryan, Brad and Patrick to thank for my purchase. Well them and their quick look. Was it the wrong decision? Probably. Will I play it? I doubt it, maybe on my holiday next August. But even then I have a kindle coming on the 25th.

It wasn't that bad really £130, it will arrive Tuesday along with Mario Kart 7. I guess the only question to ask now is. What games should I get? This and Super Mario Bros. are a given but what else? Maybe Zelda? Suggestions please.

P.S

I WILL NOT BUY A VITA....NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.P.S Uncharted: Golden Abyss looks pretty good ;)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

Isn't the list of 3DS games:

• Mario Kart
    • Mario 3D Land
    • Ocarina of Time 3D
    • Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars.
    • And Street Fighter if you don't own it on any other console already?

That's pretty much what you've got.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Patman99

Welcome to the 3DS death pit. All we do here is sit around and wait. Occasionally, someone outside the pit throws us a game but other than that we sit and wait.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By drac96

Pokemon Rumble Blast is alright.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

Eh, it's just Mario Kart, no way another rehash of a rehash of a rehash could sell me on a console.

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nutta27

@MikkaQ: I know its the same as every other Mario Kart but I fucking love Mario Kart......the snes version I think was the 1st game I ever played and I was totally addicted to the N64 version. I even liked double dash

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@AndrewB said:

• Mario Kart
    • Mario 3D Land
    • Ocarina of Time 3D

There's also Devil Survivor Overclocked, Star Fox 64 3D, Samurai Warriors Chronicles, Cave Story 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II, NIntendogs + Cats, Pilotwings Resort...

Oh no. There's not a single game for the handheld. I must be imagining all of these.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

@nutta27: I really liked the N64 one and the DS one, but at this point, I'm kinda bored of the gameplay. Why is there a Mario Kart for every nintendo platform and not say... Smash Bros? That's a game that's also pretty well suited for cookie-cutter production on each platform.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@MikkaQ said:

@nutta27: I really liked the N64 one and the DS one, but at this point, I'm kinda bored of the gameplay. Why is there a Mario Kart for every nintendo platform and not say... Smash Bros? That's a game that's also pretty well suited for cookie-cutter production on each platform.

There's been one for each console since the Nintendo 64. Nintendo has announced that the next Smash Bros. will be for both the Wii U and the 3DS.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ said:

There's been one for each console since the Nintendo 64. Nintendo has announced that the next Smash Bros. will be for both the Wii U and the 3DS.

There have been no portable titles to date, which could have bumped those numbers near to Mario Kart status. But then people probably would have been bored those too.

But luckily, Nintendo seems to be getting their required franchise entries out the gate for the 3DS in an effort to give something people to play, eventually Nintendo will run out of franchises to bring to the 3DS and will have to make something original. Kinda like how the DS never really started picking up until after Nintendogs came out and blew up. Then a big rush of good 3rd and 1st party games started coming out, but that first year with the DS was rough as hell.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hunkulese

They're only just now starting to release original games worth buying.

Shadow Wars is often overlooked but I think it was the best launch title.

Ocarina of Time is great but if you've played it before you've played it before.

Street Fighter is not good unless you only have a 3DS. It's competent for a handheld game but every other version is far better.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is pretty good but only a minor upgrade over the DS game.

So for 3DS only games you're looking at Shadow Wars, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. When was thing thing released again?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@MikkaQ said:

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ said:

There have been no portable titles to date, which could have bumped those numbers near to Mario Kart status. But then people probably would have been bored those too.

But luckily, Nintendo seems to be getting their required franchise entries out the gate for the 3DS in an effort to give something people to play, eventually Nintendo will run out of franchises to bring to the 3DS and will have to make something original. Kinda like how the DS never really started picking up until after Nintendogs came out and blew up. Then a big rush of good 3rd and 1st party games started coming out, but that first year with the DS was rough as hell.

Welcome to every major platform release ever.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By SSully

Sounds like a poor choice. At this point the only time Mario Kart is enjoyable for me is when I am playing it on the couch with other people, even then it can get old fast. I honestly couldn't see myself playing a mario kart game alone, not even in small sittings on a portable devices.

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skullo

I don't think one game sold me on having a 3DS.

It was just the prospect of people online with a 3DS and only one friend code to worry about.

Also, I haven't asked for anything expensive in like five years. and Wal-Mart was doing layaway. So why not?!

Also, RE:R Monster Hunter Tri 3DS are really going to be awesome when they get released!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Afroman269

@Hailinel said:

@AndrewB said:

• Mario Kart
    • Mario 3D Land
    • Ocarina of Time 3D

There's also Devil Survivor Overclocked, Star Fox 64 3D, Samurai Warriors Chronicles, Cave Story 3D, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II, NIntendogs + Cats, Pilotwings Resort...

Oh no. There's not a single game for the handheld. I must be imagining all of these.

Meh. It all comes down to tastes. My 3DS has been collecting dust for months until now when I bought Mario Kart 7 which is now my second game. I probably would have passed on this game if I hadn't skipped out on all the other Mario Kart games since the N64 version. The only other game that is somewhat appealing to me is Super Mario 3D Land.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Harkat

Resident Evil Revelations looks sweet:

No Caption Provided
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

@Hailinel: But as Nintendo's reported their first quarterly loss in like 30 years, it seems like the stakes for launching a platform are much higher. Especially a portable one. I think taking a traditional approach is not the best move in this economy and this market.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hailinel: Opinions and all, but most of those games I really wouldn't recommend.

• Nintendogs might be enjoyable, if you're into very casual games but it barely qualifies as a game, it's a Tamagotchi.
    • Starfox 64 is incredibly short, and is nothing more than a port of an N64 game. If it wasn't full price, fantastic, but Nintendo games never drop in price..
    • Pilotwings has literally about 2 hours of content, again should-not-be-a-full-priced-game.
    • Cave Story is a bad version of a game you can play for free or a few dollars on other systems, albeit in 2D (and no, I'm not bitching about the graphics).
    • Dead or Alive and Blazblue are both bad fighting games, and inferior versions of console games (ditto for Street Fighter on that last point).
    • Samurai Warriors is just plain horrible (and again, better console/PSP versions if you must play this).

Super Mario 3DS, Mario Kart and Ocarina of Time are the only games I've played on the system that I could recommend.

I'd honestly advise waiting another year. Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario look great and there's bound to be a Pokemon game coming sooner or later. A hardware revision is likely to be sooner rather than later too, especially with that abortion of an attachment they're releasing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Hailinel: Opinions and all, but most of those games I really wouldn't recommend.

• Nintendogs might be enjoyable, if you're into very casual games but it barely qualifies as a game, it's a Tamagotchi.
    • Starfox 64 is incredibly short, and is nothing more than a port of an N64 game. If it wasn't full price, fantastic, but Nintendo games never drop in price..
    • Pilotwings has literally about 2 hours of content, again should-not-be-a-full-priced-game.
    • Cave Story is a bad version of a game you can play for free or a few dollars on other systems, albeit in 2D (and no, I'm not bitching about the graphics).
    • Dead or Alive and Blazblue are both bad fighting games, and inferior versions of console games (ditto for Street Fighter on that last point).
    • Samurai Warriors is just plain horrible (and again, better console/PSP versions if you must play this).

Super Mario 3DS, Mario Kart and Ocarina of Time are the only games I've played on the system that I could recommend.

I'd honestly advise waiting another year. Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario look great and there's bound to be a Pokemon game coming sooner or later. A hardware revision is likely to be sooner rather than later too, especially with that abortion of an attachment they're releasing.

Say what you want, but I disagree on almost all counts.

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Skullo

@Harkat said:

No Caption Provided

YES!

Also your avatar can go eat a bag of dicks. That boss fight sucked and killed my Fusion experience. WIth that said, I kinda want to buy it and Super Metroid so I can have it with me at all times.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hailinel: Sure you can, but your opinion definitely seems to differ from what most people (at least around here) would agree with. If you're trying to convince people they should play these games, I just think you could give some better reasoning to why they're worthwhile, otherwise it might be taken as an attempt to justify a bad purchase.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Harkat

@Skullo said:

@Harkat said:

No Caption Provided

YES!

Also your avatar can go eat a bag of dicks. That boss fight sucked and killed my Fusion experience. WIth that said, I kinda want to buy it and Super Metroid so I can have it with me at all times.

I don't think my gooey, disgusting face would be able to swallow a whole back of dicks.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Hailinel: Sure you can, but your opinion definitely seems to differ from what most people (at least around here) would agree with. If you're trying to convince people they should play these games, I just think you could give some better reasoning to why they're worthwhile, otherwise it might be taken as an attempt to justify a bad purchase.

My opinions tend to run counter to a lot of people around here just on the basis of liking the Dynasty Warriors series in general, but anyway:

• Samurai Warriors Chronicles offers a take on multi-character control and combat unique to the series, and I'd argue it's comical to call it inferior to the PSP entries when the majority of the PSP Warriors titles had to segment maps apart and so on. Chronicles also makes good use of the 3D effect, effective use of the touch screen, and offers features that aren't found in any other Warriors title. It also features playable characters and content that were included in SW3XL, but XL isn't coming out in the U.S.
    • Dead or Alive and BlazBlue are both fun. I don't know what else to tell you. Same goes for SSFIV. And while BB and SF aren't necessarily the best when compared to their console counterparts, I've found they play well. As for DOA, I play that when I don't have time for other games because it's easy to start up a match.
    • Star Fox 64 3D is a remake of the N64 game. If you're familiar with that, you know what you're getting, and I knew what I was getting when I put the money down for it. And I like Star Fox 64, so...
    • Pilotwings Resort is not a large game, and while it may not be worth everyone's price, I still enjoyed flying around and having fun with it.
    MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By MormonWarrior

Mario Kart DS was my most-played DS game and still my favorite, and the 3DS game looks pretty sweet. Much better than that garbage Wii game.

And no, they're not all the same, but they do need to grow a bit more than they have. Regardless, I've really enjoyed the GBA, GameCube, and DS games. I'll probably never get a 3DS unless they make a new one that's bigger, has two sticks, better battery life, good DS emulation, etc. etc. And games to play for it.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By landon

Uhg. Don't buy a Vita.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MAGZine

Tetris Axis is a pretty good tetris game, if that's what you like.

3DS hardware is really cheap. You can't go wrong.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Sooty

@WinterSnowblind said:

BlazBlue is not a bad fighting game. Maybe you don't like it, but it has a decent competitive scene unlike Mortal Kombat which is dead.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@MormonWarrior said:

Mario Kart DS was my most-played DS game and still my favorite, and the 3DS game looks pretty sweet. Much better than that garbage Wii game.

And no, they're not all the same, but they do need to grow a bit more than they have. Regardless, I've really enjoyed the GBA, GameCube, and DS games. I'll probably never get a 3DS unless they make a new one that's bigger, has two sticks, better battery life, good DS emulation, etc. etc. And games to play for it.

The "poor" quality of DS game emulation on a 3DS is overblown. The games run just fine.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#30  Edited By MormonWarrior

@Hailinel said:

@MormonWarrior said:

The "poor" quality of DS game emulation on a 3DS is overblown. The games run just fine.

My brother has a 3DS and I've messed with it firsthand. My complaints are not based on hearsay - the games are blurry and gross-looking. It bothers me enough that I'd never play DS games on it.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By recroulette

Too bad that you missed the Amazon sales where all the launch games were selling for $10 a piece. 

Super Mario 3D Land and Shadow Wars are my picks. Honestly most of the time I've spent with it has been DS games, which are still great on the 3DS. Don't know why people are so turned off by it. 

The Kirby 3D Classic on the 3DS shop is pretty good too. 

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Julmust

Mario Kart, 3D Land and 3D Classics Kirby are good. You could also get Ocarina of Time if you want to play that again. And be on the lookout for Pusmo!

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Commisar123

I almost bought a 3ds for overclocked

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel

@MormonWarrior said:

@Hailinel said:

@MormonWarrior said:

My brother has a 3DS and I've messed with it firsthand. My complaints are not based on hearsay - the games are blurry and gross-looking. It bothers me enough that I'd never play DS games on it.

Then I imagine it must vary from game to game, because what games I've played on it haven't had any such issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.