Mario Tennis is a tennis game where you play as your favorite characters from the various Mario franchise games. There are various gametypes and tournaments playable to you. With different shot types and correct rules this game is more realistic then one would think.
There are 16 playable characters in Mario Tennis
And two unlockable characters
In addition, the four main characters (the two playable ones from Mario Tour mode and their doubles partners) from the Game Boy Color version can also be unlocked in the game via Transfer Pak:
There are 5 different player types in Mario Tennis, and each character has one that affects their play style and what areas of the game they excel at.
The player excels at all aspects of the game equally
The player has a powerful shot
The player moves around the court at a fast pace
The player has the ability to float in mid-air
The player excels at accuracy and precise shots
Three main tournaments are presented to you in Mario Tennis. You can play them two different ways. In singles mode, where you play by yourself in one on one matches againest AI opponents. Or in Doubles Mode where you get randomly put with an AI teammate to compete in two on two matches. The three tournaments are,
The Mushroom Cup The first tournament you play, which is very easy and played on a hard court.
The Flower Cup The second tournament which gives you a harder difficulty, played on a clay court
The Star Cup The final tournament played which if very hard unless you are an experienced player. It is played on grass.
- If you complete the Star Cup in singles you unlock Shy Guy, in doubles you unlock DK Jr. The character you play as also earns a special ability call "star" which can be used in exhibition matches to give your player an advantage.
Besides the single player tournaments there are also four other gametypes you can play.
Playable to up to four human players. You can choose any of the 16 characters to play and can use the star power you earned by completing the star cup. Various lengths of games can be played, and you can save you game during the middle of it.
In this game type you play at Bowser's temple, on a Topsy turvey court, that sway's left to right. Their are purple boxes you can hit with your tennis ball, and if you do you unlock and powerup. The powerups are familar to any mario kart fan. Some of them being the banana, red shell, triple green shell, mushroom, and even star power. You use the powerups by pressing the Z button.
Petey Piranha acts as a tennis ball shooter, shooting countless balls at you in different directions and variations. The point is to hit as many back as possible.
The point of this game is to hit your ball through as many rings as possible. Once you reach a certain number of rings, or the time runs out the game is over.
- Hard Court - A standard composite court with average ball speed
- Clay Court - A clay court with slow ball speed
- Grass Court - A grass court with fast ball speed
- Composition Court - A court of artificial turf with very fast ball speed
- Mario Bros. Court - A Super Mario Bros. themed court with an image of Mario and Luigi on the court.
- Baby Mario and Yoshi Court - A Yoshi's Island themed court with an image of Baby Mario and Yoshi on the court.
- Donkey Kong Court - A Donkey Kong Country themed court with an image of Donkey Kong on the court.
- You can save up to three games at a time.
- There is 4 AI difficulties you can choose while playing an exhibition game. Easy, normal,hard, and intense.
- Up to four player co-op
- Unlockable courts and players.