Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 24, 2000

One of the most legendary crossover fighting game series is thrown into high gear with a whopping 56-character roster and new three-on-three tag-team gameplay.

Friendly Warning - You WILL Get Destroyed Online

• 64 results
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Just a warning to new players out there, you will be utterly destroyed online if you even attempt to play multiplayer, no i'm not bragging or being in any way smug about my 'skill' I utterly suck at MvC2 and that's fine i'm dealing with it, i'm just throwing a warning out there to people who think the competition is going to be equally as fresh until people start learning the game.

Well, unfortunately, I was afraid that wouldn't be the case, and I was right.

MvC2 has a solid following already, and the game itself is unchanged. So naturally, with the changes in HD Remix, and SFIV being a completely new game, the level of competition was much lower in the beginning months, as even the pros were learning the ins and outs of those specific games. HD Remix not so much, people were still ace at that, but it had such a huge appeal it wasn't too hard to find some other inexperienced players to beat down.

MvC2 maybe not the case, unless it sells a bucketload of copies in the next couple days. So far i've played maybe 10 or 15 matches online (and aside from a bunch of random connection errors.. ggrrr) and i've had one match against a player who seemed just as inexperienced as me. Every other match I have been utterly destroyed by people who already know the game completely inside out, i've been on the recieving end of every trick and strat in the book, and Cable, Dr. Doom and Sentinal superteam about 6 times in a row.

So just a friendly warning to everyone out there, the online component of this game is definately not for the squeamish, expect to be annihalated unless you are already quite proficient with the game. If you thought HD Remix and SFIV were unfriendly to new players, this is a whole nother level. Sorry :(
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I, as a new player, agree with this statement.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Ineedaname

Is there enough of a reason to buy it for single player?

I only use a controller and I do have SF4 and I fricken love it, I've played online like once, 3 fights, won one lost 2, never went on it again since, but I love the single player. Is this any good for that?

UnoGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By UnoGenius

Just a tip though, even though it won't do any good, please just pick characters you like rather than ones people tell you who will get you wins! Keep the online community fresh!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Ineedaname said:
    " Is there enough of a reason to buy it for single player?I only use a controller and I do have SF4 and I fricken love it, I've played online like once, 3 fights, won one lost 2, never went on it again since, but I love the single player. Is this any good for that? "

As much as I love the game, honestly, no. Everything is unlocked from the beginning, and the boss will cheap you do death lik any other fighting game boss. The AI is a bit onconsistent, for example on easy it will still hit you with 10+ hit combos, it just does it a little less often.

There's a huge amount of awesome characters to play though, i'd say if you have at least one or two people to play with offline, go for it, but single player I probably wouldn't. Grab the PS2 version at least it has a ton of unlockable stuff to give you something to 'do'. Don't know how the dreamcast version fares I don't have it.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

The Dreamcast version is superior, as with most others fighting games. I believe they used the Dreamcast base-code on this version.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " The Dreamcast version is superior, as with most others fighting games. I believe they used the Dreamcast base-code on this version. "

I meant in terms of things to do single player wise, I don't know if it all comes unlocked or you have the same amount of stuff to do as in the PS2 version.

This version is in fact based on the DC version indeed (to my knowledge anyway) the PS2 version has several bugs and glitches, apparently the DC version is incredibly vlose to being arcade perfect. 
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Yeah, I got destroyed the one time I decided to go online. I only defeated one of their characters. The arcade mode is so much fun and brings back a lot of memories I don't really mind though.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Pie

I can just barely do arcade:stage 1 on easy.....

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I wont be playing to i can careless

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " I wont be playing to i can careless "

Why are you on this games forum if you won't be playing it then?
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:

"
    Last time i checked a forum is to post your opinion
    krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By krazychris

Yeah the competition is stiff though I've won a few fights online (though I've lost many more) and I'm really enjoying the game. If you wan A_Drain add me as a friend on xbox live and we'll play sometime since it seems we're the same skill level, also I'm in Scptland so we're in the same time zone here's my gamertag

chris the mad

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @The_A_Drain said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:

"
    Last time i checked a forum is to post your opinion "
    Yeah, but why bother to take the time to navigate to a forum dedicated to a game you have no interest in, just to read a relatively lengthy post and respond with "LULZ I don't care!!"

Seems a bit silly to me is all.

@krazychris:

Sure if you want, I don't know if our skill levels are the same or not but there's only one way to find out ;) my gt is The A Drain and I hardly ever use a mic so don't expect much conversation lol :P don't even know where my mic is right now lol.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Don't get me wrong... i Love MvC2 but im tried of remakes... I want new games!

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

I, as an extremely rusty player, say this: add me!

GT: SoulEdgeSlayer

We can play terribly against each other!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @DuhQbnSiLo:

Well, I can agree about wanting new games, but MvC2 isn't a remake it's a simple re-release. I believe there is enough to please everybody at the moment, I mean we've got all the old fighters coming back and lots of us are happy with that, but theres also shiny new games coming either side of the remakes and re-releases, games like Splosion Man, Shadow Complex and.... Tour De France? O_o 
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

LOL I don't get PSN and Arcade games...

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TheFreeMan

Hmmm. I'll be getting it later today after I pick up a points card, but I wonder how my experience with MvC will transfer into MvC2, since I've never played it. Will I still get annihilated? Or will I hold my own?

:l

Anyways, once I get it I'll put your guys' gamertags on my friends list (Soul and Drain) and we can play badly against eachother! :)

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By apathylad

I won the the four ranked matches I did. :P Although that probably won't last. Also, I think my Hori EX 2 Fighting Stick is feeling faulty on certain buttons..:(
    I really don't want to buy another fighting stick.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain

I'm something like 16 wins to 8 losses now so i'm not doing as bad as I thought I was, but then I adapt quickly because I have a lot of experience with fighters in general. But most of my matches are still coming down to time outs lol, people are putting up one heck of a fight.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

Wow, yeah, I am playing with my old team (Sentinel, Strider, and Cable) and I had a really close match but still lost. This is just my second match, though.

EDIT: Yeah! Just won on my third match! I feel that competitive blood in me boiling!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SoulEdgeSlayer said:
    " Wow, yeah, I am playing with my old team (Sentinel, Strider, and Cable) and I had a really close match but still lost. This is just my second match, though. EDIT: Yeah! Just won on my third match! I feel that competitive blood in me boiling! "

Tell me about it lol, i'm up to a good few wins in a row now and part of me is feeling bad for abusing Dr Doom but the other half of me is like... DIE!!!! :P
    SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
    @The_A_Drain:  Haha, yeah, I feel the same way about my Sentinel. Oh well!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Jeffsekai

Playing with friends is still a blast and Arcade mode is still awsome

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SoulEdgeSlayer:

Really good games man, I could stay all night but I gotta get some of this programming work done. Your sentinal is pretty good dude, very tough to get around.
    SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
    @The_A_Drain: Same to you, dude! When you got on a roll I couldn't get out of your Dr. Doom's aerial attacks.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SoulEdgeSlayer:

Yeah he's pretty cheesy like that lol, although I had to be careful, you got pretty good at predicting Juggernaught and killing him off leaving Doom a lot more vulnerable.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By Atlas

Which makes me even more sad that three quarters of the game's achievements are for online, especially ranking matches, including winning 100 ranked matches. No thank you. I'm starting to regret even buying the game, considering the other problems I have with it.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Atlas:

Those just take a long time I don't mind those, I have something like 20 now anyway, calling it a night. It's the other ones that scared the shit outta me, like all the stuff you have to do with 20 different teams and whatnot, I nearly choked when I read them.
    SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
    @The_A_Drain: We definitely have to play again!

@Atlas: What are your problems with the game? I could definitely see you being upset with your purchase if you are in it just for the achievements.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @SoulEdgeSlayer:

Yeah man, I'm gonna up my game with Servbot if it kills me :P I noticed during that game I thought I was doing pretty well with him lol, then when he finally died I looked at your lifebar and was like... what?! Less than an inch, gotta be kidding. But he's so awesome it doesnt matter lol.

Seriously though, I like my Doom, Cable, Juggernaught setup, although I might try replacing Cable with someone else, I really like him but I just plain suck with him.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By metal_mills
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " I, as a new player, agree with this statement. "
    Yep. :(
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stang

Kind of regret getting it. I have no problem losing, I do have an issue with sucking donkey balls though. And I suck donkey balls.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Stang said:
    " Kind of regret getting it. I have no problem losing, I do have an issue with sucking donkey balls though. And I suck donkey balls. "

Pick Dr Doom, jump up and down lots, and spam his half circle backward  punch move. You will control almost the entire screen :D

*Does not condone picking top teir characters, nor spamming.

:P
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Stang
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @Stang said:
    " Kind of regret getting it. I have no problem losing, I do have an issue with sucking donkey balls though. And I suck donkey balls. "

Pick Dr Doom, jump up and down lots, and spam his half circle backward  punch move. You will control almost the entire screen :D

*Does not condone picking top teir characters, nor spamming.

:P
    "
    You just nailed my style! But really, I find no joy getting completely dominated because I have no ability. I will play offline and get the easy achievements, but I will stick to SFIV if I want to fight online.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By suneku

Man I loved MvC2 a lot back in the day. I really wanted to play this but since I don't have much real life friends that like playing this game hardcore, I don't want to just dive into the online without refreshing up... but even then I feel too lazy to refresh my skills.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Druminator

I was going to get this because it looks so bad ass, then I remember that I suck major ass at fighting games and now after reading this, I think I will save myself some frustration and just pass on it...

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
    @The_A_Drain: Servbot is just a pain in the ass to hit. If you can exploit that, then you can do decently with him. His hits are a little too soft, though.

Gambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gambit

I bought this this morning and i've been managing to hold my own online so far but I've been having trouble getting into ranked matches.

KME93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KME93

I have to say i did not expect it to be this hard. I mean to some yea it is easy but for some reason easy for me is bitch. With that i even practiced got my team together learned some good combos but damn I just don't know... Oh yeah Abyss is up there wih seth dude is a haed boss i give him that

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Metric_Outlaw
    @Ineedaname said:
    " Is there enough of a reason to buy it for single player?I only use a controller and I do have SF4 and I fricken love it, I've played online like once, 3 fights, won one lost 2, never went on it again since, but I love the single player. Is this any good for that? "
    Yeah, online is freaking ridiculous online. I honestly hate it. But I'm really really enjoying playing single player. Its really interesting how many combination of characters you can use.
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Druminator

Actually I decided to get this and it's awesome!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By JJOR64

I played online today and did alright.  It just depends on who you are playing.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BradBrains

i suck never played 2 too muhc but loved the first. if your not a big fighting game person add me. hell add me anyway...

xboxlive is BradtotheFuture

untill a patch that fixes online in KOFXII comes out i will play this

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

This just in, if you stand infront of a bullet it will hurt alot or kill you!!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    "This just in, if you stand infront of a bullet it will hurt alot or kill you!!"

Yeah it's obvious sure, but I was just pointing out to people there there will be no warming up period this time around as the game is completely unchanged, so the pros have stepped right out of the arcade and into the online. So there's no warming up period while people are still learning new things.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By turbomonkey138

Charlie Guile Ken is who i role with  . I seem to do ok . Lots of people playing as ironman online these days

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By WrenchNinja

Eh, I get my ass kicked pretty consistently in SFIV. I'm fine with getting my ass kicked in MvC2.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PureRok

With my birthday coming up in three days (hurray 20), I'll probably see if I can squeeze some MS Points out of someone in my family so I can get this game and go with a team of Cammy 3x (you know, because I'm an ass).

Maybe I'll play with you sometime if I can get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.