Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

"Event Mode" patch released today makes "balance" changes

• 106 results
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By ricetopher
    @TechHits said:
    " @ricetopher:  so then why do you like older fighting games?  "
    Take a look at my post you originally responded to. Its because they are what fighting games should be. Games without mechanics that reward the losing player. Technically both players start with X-Factor but level 3 is so good that with the right anchor it is worth it to wait. Fighting games are supposed to be about the better player winning, and did so without such mechanics. Sure Ultras weren't good enough to cause the worse player to constantly win, but like I said its a movement in a direction that makes me cringe. Level 3 X-Factor is the next step in that movement.
    churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By churrific
    @ricetopher: One might infer that you're just too old school. I'm old school too, and I'm not too keen on it either. But I think, like it or not, x-factor/ultras, esp. x-factor dark phoenix/sent., creates a lot of  flash, buzz, and general discussion that has helped with the revival of the fighting genre as a whole. The other direction the genre was headed in was somewhere between non-relevant in gaming and complete oblivion. Just kind of have to accept it and deal with it. And I think most tourney players have learned to cope with all the bs, and probably may revel in it. That one match at Final Round where the dude ran away from Dark Phoenix for 50 marvel seconds was almost as epic as any regular win. 

I think most of the changes are fine. Sentinel less life = me killing him quicker than I normally do. Always a good thing in my book.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By kingzetta

Whats event mode?

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Gahzoo
    @ricetopher said:
    "

@animateria: I'm pretty sure if the option to turn off X-factor is added than X-factor will not be used in tournament play. In fact I bet most tournament organizers are in the camp of "fuck x-factor" and would turn off X-factor for tournament play.

I don't want to start a huge discussion on it, but my point is that most people agree with and would be fine with getting rid of it all together. When you discuss tweaks is where you still have a ton of disagreement.

"
    I really, really don't think this game is for you.
    And what you said about pros regarding X-Factor is just something you are pulling out of your ass.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By BraveToaster
    @leroyrockwell said:
    " I'm glad Sentinel has been kinda kicked down, but I think it came too late.

MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

No Caption Provided
    "
    Lmao
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#56  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ricetopher: I still don't understand the "rewarding the losing player" argument. With Ultra and X-Factor the losing player isn't receiving something the winning player won't get, they're just getting the opportunity to exploit it (or waste it) sooner. Granted fringe cases exist where a losing player can use these mechanics to win before the opponent's X-Factor/Ultra enters the equation, but that's typically only in the most spectacularly explosive fashion which is HYPE. 

If anything, Ultra and X-Factor serve primarily as momentum changers, forcing the dominating player to be more thoughtful in their offense once the threat of big big damage from Ultra or X-Factor appears. I'm not saying that X-Factor is properly balanced, but I don't think the concept or the intent behind the mechanic is as fundamentally flawed as it seems to be in your eyes. Agree to disagree I suppose?
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ricetopher

@Gahzoo: I am hardly pulling that out of my ass. Also I think this game is definitely for me (I should know), but X-Factor is the one thing that I don't agree with.

@StarvingGamer: My biggest issue with Ultras and X-Factor is where things can go from there. The fact that they get accepted leads to developers toying with the idea and pushing it into truely unacceptable ideas. Agree to disagree, just so I can stop getting all of these angry replies that make me feel like a crazy person.

Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Gahzoo
    @ricetopher said:
    " @Gahzoo: I am hardly pulling that out of my ass. Also I think this game is definitely for me (I should know), but X-Factor is the one thing that I don't agree with. "
    No, you are completely pulling it out of your ass.
    The general consensus among pros is that it does indeed need to be nerfed, with a salty few saying it should be removed.
    Tournament organizers really don't fit in to it, since X-Factor builds hype.
     Also, what you said in an earlier post that "fighting games should be about the better player winning"
    Well, for nearly all the majors thus far the same players are in the finals and top brackets.

This game isn't for you when you can't handle the controlled chaos that comes with any MAHVEL game (or a VS game).
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ricetopher

@Gahzoo: I said that the better player should always win, but then admitted that things like X-Factor and Ultras aren't causing worse players to consistently win.

I like this game, honestly, stop thinking I'm trying to shit on it. I think X-Factor is the one big fuck up of this game. I'm fully aware of how VS games are and I am content with that.

Ugh just leave me alone people for fucks sake, I get it apparently my ideas are the worst thing ever.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Glad sent got nerfed. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ricetopher: Hope my replies didn't seem angry, just interested in discussing it. :D
    Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Gahzoo

I'm not thinking you are trying to negatively criticize the game at all, but whining about a very MAHVEL-esque feature in a MAHVEL game is in itself flawed. 

Also, regarding Phoenix, good players also consistently beat her, I actually don't recall ever witnessing Marn losing a set to a phoenix user, or any of the top players at the moment like Combofiend or J wong.

I don't really like X Factor myself (I think it it needs to be toned done a little bit in almost all areas), however I also didn't like losing a whole game in MvC2 because I got hit with one short from magneto.

FUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By FUN

Nerf Sentinel, Akuma, and Ammy

Keep X-Factor untouched

gg

- Capcom

@Rockdalf said:

You're right, we should just return on copies right now and fire up MvC2.

Why would anyone have ever stopped playing MvC 2?
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#64  Edited By 234r2we232

I'm not sure how a character with an infinite combo is any less of a "over-powered" character. People just like to complain, I guess.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By Legend

The only thing that's really broken in this game and should've been patched is lvl 3 x-factored Dark Phoenix. Sentinel is overpowered but reducing his health doesn't really fix the problem.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Shadow

Hot damn, I'm so happy that Capcom's listening and balancing out their game post-release. It's honestly not something I was expecting seeing as how Sagat never got any less overpowered in SF4 until the release of Super. The sentinel thing alone makes me want to start playing this game online again. I might even buy those new characters.

BlueBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BlueBlazer
    It's pretty stupid that they removed the Akuma infinite, but left the Cap infinite in. 
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By benpack

Christ, Sent is worthless now.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#69  Edited By TechHits
    @GlenTennis:  Hes a hight risk reward character now versus a tank , italics on hight risk. 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @BlueBlazer said:
    " It's pretty stupid that they removed the Akuma infinite, but left the Cap infinite in.  "
    The Akuma infinite was discovered like 2 days after release, the Cap one has only been around for a week or two. You realize these patches take time both in development and in approval right? It's not like Capcom snaps their fingers and the patch magically appears on Microsoft's and Sony's servers.
    FUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By FUN
    @Shadow said:
    " Hot damn, I'm so happy that Capcom's listening and balancing out their game post-release. It's honestly not something I was expecting seeing as how Sagat never got any less overpowered in SF4 until the release of Super. The sentinel thing alone makes me want to start playing this game online again. I might even buy those new characters. "
    Capcom is listening!..... to the wrong people :/
    BlueBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BlueBlazer
    @StarvingGamer: Yeah, I understand that. Doesn't change the fact that the patch was a stupid decision in the first place though. :p
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Legend
    @FUN said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " Hot damn, I'm so happy that Capcom's listening and balancing out their game post-release. It's honestly not something I was expecting seeing as how Sagat never got any less overpowered in SF4 until the release of Super. The sentinel thing alone makes me want to start playing this game online again. I might even buy those new characters. "
    Capcom is listening!..... to the wrong people :/ "
    They listen to the people who complain the most, and we all know who the majority of these people are.
    reruns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By reruns
    @Legend: People who got beat by x-factor sentinel because they didn't know the matchup?

Re: the changes, most of them are pretty inconsequential. Okami Shuffle is still good, nobody used the Akuma infinite, etc.

As for x-factor, Marvel is ridiculous without a comeback mechanic of some kind. Assists are too damn useful. Removing it would be exactly as unfair as people say x-factor is. It might need tweaking, but I don't think a compelling body of evidence for either side of that argument will exist this early in the game.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @ricetopher: 
    You are definitely not crazy or at least the only one. I too don't like the entire match being switched from the patented Marvel craziness of combos into you solely worrying about X-Factor damage at the end of each match...
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Legend
    @reruns said:

" @Legend: People who got beat by x-factor sentinel because they didn't know the matchup?

A.K.A. noobs, scrubs, or whatever you want to call them. People who refuse to admit that they keep losing because they simply suck. It's easier to blame a stupid big robot for all their problems. lol
    matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#77  Edited By matrix_hiei

Sentinel needed lower HP, but I think this may be a bit much. Not sure which way I prefer it, but I feel like somewhere in between would be ideal.

The other fixes are fine imo.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By gosukiller

They should fix x-factor, make it longer but only have it make your character faster, regen hp and negate chip. The damage boost is unnecessary.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shadow
    @Legend said:
    " @FUN said:
    " @Shadow said:
    They listen to the people who complain the most, and we all know who the majority of these people are. "
    Yep, and looking at every fifth post in this thread, that would be you. You can ironically bitch and complain all you want about the complaining everyone else is doing. What you can't ignore though is that until the patch came out, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone using Sentinel in their main team. It was very clearly out of hand and this evens the playing field a bit. I for one, am glad Capcom is actively making their game better. No matter what you have to say about it, Capcom isn't about to patch infinite combos back in or purposely make characters ridiculously overpowered again just because you exploited the game's faults/imbalances, and can't keep doing it.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Shadow said:
    " @Legend said:
    " @FUN said:
    " @Shadow said:
    They listen to the people who complain the most, and we all know who the majority of these people are. "
    Yep, and looking at every fifth post in this thread, that would be you. You can ironically bitch and complain all you want about the complaining everyone else is doing. What you can't ignore though is that until the patch came out, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone using Sentinel in their main team. It was very clearly out of hand and this evens the playing field a bit. I for one, am glad Capcom is actively making their game better. No matter what you have to say about it, Capcom isn't about to patch infinite combos back in or purposely make characters ridiculously overpowered again just because you exploited the game's faults/imbalances, and can't keep doing it. "
    As far as the game goes I'd rather have 30+ even fighters and 1 underpowered fighter (Sent.) rather than 30+ even fighters and one overpowered fighter (Sent.).  At least now every team won't have one.
    BlueBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BlueBlazer
    @Shadow: But the thing is, it's only been one month. Already people have found out that TONS of characters counter Sent because he has such a big hitbox and the only people that were really complaining about him were people who didn't know how to beat him. People who play fighting games nowadays find something they don't know how to beat and then instead of going into the lab and figuring out how to beat it, they just complain about it. And then shit like this stupid patch happens. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#82  Edited By Pessh
    @BlueBlazer: You're doing the exact same shit with xfactor scrub, bitching on forums, insisting it shouldn't be in the game rather than putting in work.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Legend
    @Shadow said:
    " @Legend said:
    " @FUN said:
    " @Shadow said:
    Yep, and looking at every fifth post in this thread, that would be you. You can ironically bitch and complain all you want about the complaining everyone else is doing. What you can't ignore though is that until the patch came out, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone using Sentinel in their main team. It was very clearly out of hand and this evens the playing field a bit. I for one, am glad Capcom is actively making their game better. No matter what you have to say about it, Capcom isn't about to patch infinite combos back in or purposely make characters ridiculously overpowered again just because you exploited the game's faults/imbalances, and can't keep doing it. "
    Um.. are you confusing me with someone else? I started posting in this thread on the 4th page and I said that if Capcom wanted to patch this game so bad just to show us they care, they should've fixed Dark Phoenix because she's pretty much broken when she has lvl3 x-factor. Where exactly am I complaining every fifth post?  I was happy with the game the way it was. There are ways to deal with Sent, Phoenix and every other character in this game. To put it simply, the game was balanced and didn't really need a balance patch.
    Also, I played more than 400 ranked matches, and there were as many people using using Dante, Taskmaster and Wolverine as the ones using Sent. I defeated many players who had Sent on their team, and many players defeated me and they weren't using him. If you keep losing against  a particular character, then it's not because he's overpowered or that people are exploiting the game's "imbalance", it's because you can't improve the way you play and find techniques to deal with him.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jimi

Sentinel needed a nerf... but not that severe. 

The main problem at the moment is dark phoenix. If she is in your team that limits your other two characters to just building meter, likewise if your opponent sees a 5 meter phoenix the best option is to just run away until time out, which is dumb.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Legend
    @Pessh said:

" @BlueBlazer: You're doing the exact same shit with xfactor scrub, bitching on forums, insisting it shouldn't be in the game rather than putting in work. "

Justin Wong (who is obviously not a scrub) mentioned on several occasions that there should be an option to disable x-factor. You can hear what he has to say here if you want: http://www.justin.tv/canadacup/b/281997808 (skip to 1:12:00). I'm personally fine with x-factor being in the game, though.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#86  Edited By VicRattlehead

is the event mode shit out yet? 

RAGE RAGE RAGE SENTINEL RAGE RAGE RAGE (to stay on topic)

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Pessh
    @Legend: Oh cool, another dick rider. I couldn't care less what Jwong has to say, day 1 he was saying Sentinel was completely broken and that the game is ass. Has nothing to do with that anyway, at no point in my post did I say xfactor was op/fine. The point is, people should spend less people bitching, even if shit is op, and more time playing. The joker that made this thread says the same thing, while he continue to whine about xfactor. He's a hypocrite and i'm calling him out on that, what the fuck does jwong or xfactor have to do with that? Please enlighten me.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Legend
    @Pessh said:
    " @Legend: Oh cool, another dick rider. I couldn't care less what Jwong has to say, day 1 he was saying Sentinel was completely broken and that the game is ass. Has nothing to do with that anyway, at no point in my post did I say xfactor was op/fine. The point is, people should spend less people bitching, even if shit is op, and more time playing. The joker that made this thread says the same thing, while he continue to whine about xfactor. He's a hypocrite and i'm calling him out on that, what the fuck does jwong or xfactor have to do with that? Please enlighten me. "
    Um, first of all, dude, you need to lay off the insults and chill out. You were saying that BlueBlazer was a scrub because he keeps bitching about x-factor instead of putting it in work. My point was that there are people who are not scrubs, who put x-factor in work, and who still think the game would be better off without it.. Justin Wong being one of them. Also, what Justin said day 1 shouldn't be taken as seriously as what he's saying now after many weeks of playing the game and ranking so high in a couple of MvC3 tournaments.
    Other than that, I agree with what you're saying. The game didn't need any balance patches. People should spend less time bitching and more time playing and figuring out how to deal with x-factor, Sent, Phoenix, Dante.. etc.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Pessh
    @Legend: Aimed at the people saying 'even X said X is broken' and the scrubs moaning about shit they can't beat tbh. Just play the game, form your own opinions, work harder, DP isn't unbeatable people are far too quick to use mechanics/characters as scapegoats. Capcom are going to do what they want to do, you can whine on forums about the Sentinel health nerf or you can play the game and get better. I agree, the game doesn't need any patches but I'm not going to cry about those that come into fruition. All people do is whine whine whine, xfactors broken, this is broken, that is broken, how about some discussion about things you like?

Only part I disagree with is the jwong shit, who are you to say which of his words should be taken seriously? Surely he's the only one who knows that. Why even discuss jwong though? He's just a dude, not the top MvC3 player, or any other game for that matter. Remember when people weren't all self entitled and actually formed their own opinions. 

And that's all for me, need to evacuate this thread, too much retard. Good luck Legend.
    BlueBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BlueBlazer
    @Pessh: Lol, bitching about a character and bitching about a core game mechanic are two completely different things.  
    TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By TechHits

Event Mode just went live. 

Its weird its like COD Black ops Contracts, only without the time restrictions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I've just been sloppy with my inputs, but have they taken out R2 as an easy way to activate hypers?  I fought a few and wasn't able to get proton cannon out when I wanted to (which is all the time motherfuckaaaaaa).

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#93  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @TechHits: i kinda like it... gives ye something to do and the online events work in player match so yayayayay.... 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Brodehouse: Did you change your button config? I think default R2 is A1+A2 which is the team hyper combo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer: For me, L2 is the crossover combo and R2 is all attack buttons.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Brodehouse: Ah that might be the default, honestly I use custom so I couldn't recall. But yeah, crossover combo should be the only way to do a one-button Hyper Combo unless you're playing simple mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarvingGamer: Oh totally, I'm still putting in the inputs for each hyper, but using R2 is way more reliable than me trying to push triangle+circle simultaneously.  And probably the most enraging thing possible is knowing you could've won but your execution was sloppy.  Being overmatched against guys who know wallbounce combos and so on, that's just a matter of a superior opponent... facing someone you know you can beat and having it turn on you because you couldn't do a clean Z-motion is fru-uh-strating.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know a thread is fucked up when Pessh is the voice of reason. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#99  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Pessh: happy they got rid of the Akuma infinite that thing was a pain. 

@ricetopher: Yeah but if you remove X-factor, Phoenix is basically useless. 
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Example1013
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @StarvingGamer: Oh totally, I'm still putting in the inputs for each hyper, but using R2 is way more reliable than me trying to push triangle+circle simultaneously.  And probably the most enraging thing possible is knowing you could've won but your execution was sloppy.  Being overmatched against guys who know wallbounce combos and so on, that's just a matter of a superior opponent... facing someone you know you can beat and having it turn on you because you couldn't do a clean Z-motion is fru-uh-strating. "
    You have just highlighted why I find capcom fighting games as of late to be the most frustrating. I always end up breaking my Hadouken strings with akuma with a forward jump, and that usually ends the match for me. And if it's not that, it's when I try to Shoryuken and just forward jump or Hadouken instead. Hell, I've had my super go off with Ryu/ken a couple of times while trying to Shoryuken. Frustrating as hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.