Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

A few issues that might happen with ME 2 on PS3.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Dont wanna keep bringing this topic up, but there are issues that I thought of that could hinder ME 2 on PS3.  

first of all, its good that people will get it that maybe werent able to play it before, but I doubt itll sell very well and there are potential issues I can see:

1. Most of the time, when a game comes to PS3 after a year of being on 360, the port dosent turn out that well. Examples of this are Overlord, Bioshock, Lost Planet, Star Ocean, and stuff like that. Almost every time, they are worse when they hit PS3. Bioshock is a good example, because its using the same engine as ME 2 (UE 3). When bioshock hit PS3, it was blurry, the textures were bunk, the FPS was bad, and the list goes on. since this is using the same engine, this could happen with ME 2 as well. Also, from comparisons I read, UE 3 hardly transfers great to PS3. It usualy ends up ok, but 360 almost always commands a texture win or whatever.  

Also, keep in mind that Bioware dosent have THAT much experience on PS3, let alone enough to be able to take a game that was centeraly coded to 360 hardware and try to get it on PS3 hardware, which is alot different. And their last (and first) game on PS3 (dragon age) might have looked better on PS3, but it ran to a crawl in the FPS department alot of times. So, god willing, they make sure they have enough time to make this right, because if it ends up worse, all that good will will turn to hate from PS3 owners and giigles from 360 fanboys. thats assuming that THEY do the port and they just dont outsource it to save time and manpower.

2. Without ME 1, many could argue your getting a lesser game on PS3 by just getting ME 1. Bioware needs to find a way to make people happy about this without voiding any agreements with MS. They said theyll have a intro segment, but if all that is is just "mass Effect 1 in 5 mintues" I think many will be very dissapointed. I think they should have a selector before you start the game where you can check off chocies that happen in teh game. For example, want Wrex alive? Then click that box saying you want hima live. You know, stuff like that.

Mainly, im just worried about the porting job.   ME 2s default story is still plenty good.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AuthenticM

I'm sure they'll do a pretty fine job.

Oh, and Star Ocean was better on PS3.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @AuthenticM:

eh, I think it had mroe content, but it certainly didnt look better or look just as good. http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=19165&page=2  

This comparison shows that it really didnt look that great on PS3, but it ended in a tie due to PS3 supposedly loading faster and the performance being the same. But it shows that the game at the very least didnt look as good when it hit PS3 way later. And ME 2 is really a  graphicaly touted game.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

The first issue seems to be prevalent with almost all PS3 versions of games, port or not. It's just the fact of the matter, any game that is developed multiplatform will most likely suck more on the PS3, since it's harder to develop for and has an awful GPU. It's unfortunate but not out of the ordinary.  

I say they should just give a Steam or D2D key for ME1; almost every computer can run it at this point. Then allow you to upload the save file onto EA online, and let you download it on console through like a DLC mechanism (but free). 

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By SpiralStairs

LOL MASS EFFECT 2 LOL

RussianDrink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By RussianDrink

The problem with a selector screen is that nobody playing ME2 on PS3 would have any idea who Wrex is much less any emotional connection to him as a character. 

Also Bioshock uses UE 2.5, not UE3.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword
    @Geno:

though that would seem way complicated to me if I was EA. And I hate that everyone assumes that itll be worse on PS3. I never said that it was assumed it, i just said that its highly possible due to recent track records of games that hit that platform a year later.  and to be fair, both consoles have a 'Awful" GPU these days and you are able to get around the faults of said PS3 GPU if you do things right.

I mean, to comment on if it does turn out worse on PS3, why would I bother if I can get it on 360, where I know its already lookin great? Ill have to wait and see, im jsut saying there isnt a great track record for both Bioware and games that come out like this on PS3.
    ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZoomyRamen

I think people are putting far too much emphasis on importing a character, sure it was a great feature..but really..that didnt make or break the game for me, the fantastic story, the awesome combat and graphics make that game what it is. Sure you may miss out on a ton of emails going "REMEBUH ME?!", the actual game is still fantastic and its wonderful that PS3 users can play through. The biggest things in the game? Wrex being dead or not? The game wont be a lesser game because he is alive or not, i mean really, PS3 fans have never really got to know what a bad ass he is, so why would they be annoyed that they cant have him dead or not? 

Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Dirty_Harry

It will have no grass!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ZoomyRamen said:
    " I think people are putting far too much emphasis on importing a character
    I wouldn't sweat the lack of character importing, but missing out on the story of the first is a pretty big loss that, in my opinion, an intro video just can not fill.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Geno
    @Raven_Sword: Both consoles have an awful GPU relative to current technology, but the PS3 has an awful GPU compared to the 360. A CPU can't really be twisted to do the duties of a GPU without a lot of programming magic (and even then doesn't do so very efficiently), which is why the only games that look better than the 360 on the PS3 are those developed by first parties with huge amounts of time and funding. That's beside the point however, I'm just saying that a worse looking version on the PS3 is not really a "concern" since it's pretty par for the course. The main issue is how they will resolve the lack of file import from ME1. 
    ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZoomyRamen
    @ProfessorEss: I was thinking that, and yeah I guess, but yet again, I seriously think that ME2 stands incredibly well on its own. I know its no substution at all, but there is wikipedia, im sure there is a Mass Effect 1 wiki, and yes its not as good as playing ME1, but I dont think its a huge problem really.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By hockeymask27

This a little weird for me to be the one saying it considering at don't even own a PS3. However it's been so long that the ME 2 port might be better. Remember when oblivion and its ps3 version.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#14  Edited By Valkyr

Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean, Oblivion are better on the ps3, Dragon age has better textures on the ps3 but the framerate is not as stable as the 360 version. The big selling point will be 1080p cgi and all the DLC already on the disc. I played Mass Effect 1 on the pc and erased the save file, a month ago I bought a used copy for the 360 because I wanted the save file to play ME2 but now I will just wait for the ps3 release.

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By voodooterror

im 90% sure that there is already ps3 code in the game

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ravensword
    @Geno:

"Par for the course" these days is both versions being very close, with maybe 360 having a bit better whatever as far as textures and all that. I hope they do a good job. i refuse to accept that they will always be worse on PS3. They have improved greatly since 2007 and I think they can continuely do so until theyre even. and with this gen going longer, thats almost a gurantee. However, maybe by the time they do, itll be almost next gen time. But whatevs.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ZoomyRamen: Totally agree with you but having a pre-established connection with the characters does give Mass Effect 2 that extra facet of awesomeness.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ravensword
    @Valkyr:

Can you explain how Star Ocean was better on PS3? that comparison i linked to said it dosent look as good as the 360 version.
    ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZoomyRamen
    @ProfessorEss: Yeah I see your point. Thing is, I dont get people saying its a gamebreaker or that ME2 is pointless without the first. Itll be worth the price and more with the DLC, no doubt it'll be cheaper than the original 360 release or the same but you get every bit of DLC. 
    Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

Uninformed nonsense.  
    Can't wait for these threads to go away.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akrid

The fact that it's in unreal could possibly ease the transition, that's just a wild guess though. In the meantime it's completely pointless to speculate. 

I'm trying to convince myself not to get it when it comes out, but not for the lack of context in the story or anything like that. it feels wrong to buy a game at full price a year after it came out.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ZoomyRamen: oh yeah, certainly not a gamebreaker.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword

this thing seems more like Fanboy fodder to me then anything. Its like it was meant for SONY and Fanboys to beat their chest and say "lolz we gots another of 360s precious franchises on our syestems. we are teh best!" (grammer issues intentional) then anything else. i mean, does EA really expect this thing to make top 10 in NPD for that month or to sell really well? I really cant see this being that financialy benefical to them, which makes me think theyre going to skimp on the port. Why would you spend a ton of money porting this thing right if its probaly hardly going to sell?
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pessh

If you've never played the first game chances are you won't know who Wrex is (talking generally, not you GB guys.) Bombarding people with questions 30 seconds into the game, about events they no absolutely nothing about could well be the worst idea of the year. The events of Mass Effect 1/importing only effects people who have played the first Mass Effect. The majority of people that play ME2 on PS3 won't have played ME 1, and those that have will have already played 2 another system.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phantomzxro

i don't know man i think your making a better deal out of this then it is, all the games you said were not  all that bad of port there were far worse ports out there and with bioware being pretty big i don't think they will waste there efforts in making a bad port. Also i'm sure there are many people on the xbox 360 that still did not play the first game but enjoyed mass effect 2 so whatever they do to speed people up in what happen will be fine by most who just wants to play the game.   I would say the only downer is you won't be able to tranfer your save over but i have faith in bioware to make it a fun ride for PS3 owner and it should stay on one disc which would be a plus side. Now the real problem is will my fanboyness hold out or will I have to buy this for the PS3 too.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BraveToaster
    @SpiralStairs said:
    " LOL MASS EFFECT 2 LOL "
    Am I missing something?
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Valkyr
    @Raven_Sword: The English voice acting is terrible, you can play with japanese voices and english subtitles on the ps3, apart from that they say there are differences on HUD and menu's that make the ps3 version more friendly but I don't know, I don't have the game.
     What I can say is that Dragon Age was not considered a AAA title for Bioware, the budget and the sales expectations were very far from Mass Effect 2 but the ps3 version turned up pretty good, they have till march to make the port which I bet has been in development since before the 360/pc release, you can watch some video interviews where the doctors just keep the door open for a ps3 release of the game.
    Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blueman
    @Raven_Sword said:
    "this thing seems more like Fanboy fodder to me then anything. Its like it was meant for SONY and Fanboys to beat their chest and say "lolz we gots another of 360s precious franchises on our syestems. we are teh best!" (grammer issues intentional) then anything else. i mean, does EA really expect this thing to make top 10 in NPD for that month or to sell really well? I really cant see this being that financialy benefical to them, which makes me think theyre going to skimp on the port. Why would you spend a ton of money porting this thing right if its probaly hardly going to sell? "

I think they had Mass Effect 3 in mind. By putting ME2 on PS3, the ME3 sales will be a lot greater.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ravensword
    @Valkyr:

umm, ME 2 is hitting PS3 in januarey. not sure what you meant.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By natetodamax

Nothing will get PS3 gamers attached and accustomed to characters from the first game but actually playing the first game. An intro segment wouldn't work, as it would just discuss events and characters that they are unfamiliar with.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ravensword
    @natetodamax:

But how many gamers really care about that? I do, but I am not the majority of people. Most people will probaly just wanna see what happened in the first game storywise and they will be fine. In fact, they can just watch this:   

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By snakeitachi

Lol i already own the game on 360 sure the game could not be the best port but personally i dont care its still ME2 on the PS3!
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Valkyr
    @Raven_Sword: Ok forgive my mistake, I don't take so serious a 42 second teaser, if you want to believe the 360 version will still be the best  just believe it (and never watch a PC screenshot taken on a decent rig), I don't care, the 360 version of FFXIII is shit and I don't see any 360 owners complaining, they were happy just for the possibility of playing the game but now that the situation is in favor of the ps3 owner this stupid debate starts.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ravensword
    @Valkyr:

Alot of it is justification of purchase and brand name loyatly adn expectations of said Brand because of past sucess's. I admit im guilty of purchase justification because I spent 600 dollars on this thing, so naturaly im mad when it dosent do good or gets stuff worse on the console I spent 200 dollars less on.. Trying to get over that, but im atleast admiting it.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SpiralStairs
    @Axxol:  I hope not.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By Yummylee

BioShock was brilliant on the PS3... I haven't played it on the 360 but I can't see how it could of been better.

mattbirdy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mattbirdy1986
    @Dirty_Harry said:
    " It will have no grass! "
    this !!
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ravensword
    @phantomzxro:

Do oyu own it already on 360 or PC? If you do, im not sure why you would buy two versions of the same game (says the guy that totaly bought both console versions of Batman AA,GTA 4,Street Fighter 4, and oblivion. but to be fair, one version street fighter 4 was given to me by a friend. )
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jazz

Wait, LP was crap on the ps3 compared to the 360? 
    Wow I must have missed that when I played through both and actually enjoyed the ps3 version over the 360 one.] 
     Or that time I played Bioshock and saw no dip in quality 
    Or that time I played Bayonetta, installed it and didn't give a shit about screen tearing cause i was too busy playing the damn game. 

Stop complaining about something that hasn't been released. Once it's been released bitch all you want, but for now there's more than enough stuff to complain about...MW2 dedicated servers is an oldie, but a goodie. Try revitalising that. Oh hey, how about Kane and Lynch...oooooh damn, I forgot the most obvious one (smacks head) those compressed videos on FFXIII 360 edition. Look, there's a veritable cornucopia of valid things to complain about. A game that hasn't actually been released is not one of them.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Raven_Sword:
    Well if there is nothing new within the game then i may be able to pass but if anything new is within it i may have to pick it up. Also i go for trophies more so then  achievements      so since i have Srank in it I would love to go for that 100% again.  

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#41  Edited By donutfever
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " Dont wanna keep bringing this topic up, but there are issues that I thought of that could hinder ME 2 on PS3.   first of all, its good that people will get it that maybe werent able to play it before, but I doubt itll sell very well and there are potential issues I can see: 1. Most of the time, when a game comes to PS3 after a year of being on 360, the port dosent turn out that well. Examples of this are Overlord, Bioshock, Lost Planet, Star Ocean, and stuff like that. Almost every time, they are worse when they hit PS3. Bioshock is a good example, because its using the same engine as ME 2 (UE 3). When bioshock hit PS3, it was blurry, the textures were bunk, the FPS was bad, and the list goes on. since this is using the same engine, this could happen with ME 2 as well. Also, from comparisons I read, UE 3 hardly transfers great to PS3. It usualy ends up ok, but 360 almost always commands a texture win or whatever.    Also, keep in mind that Bioware dosent have THAT much experience on PS3, let alone enough to be able to take a game that was centeraly coded to 360 hardware and try to get it on PS3 hardware, which is alot different. And their last (and first) game on PS3 (dragon age) might have looked better on PS3, but it ran to a crawl in the FPS department alot of times. So, god willing, they make sure they have enough time to make this right, because if it ends up worse, all that good will will turn to hate from PS3 owners and giigles from 360 fanboys. thats assuming that THEY do the port and they just dont outsource it to save time and manpower. 2. Without ME 1, many could argue your getting a lesser game on PS3 by just getting ME 1. Bioware needs to find a way to make people happy about this without voiding any agreements with MS. They said theyll have a intro segment, but if all that is is just "mass Effect 1 in 5 mintues" I think many will be very dissapointed. I think they should have a selector before you start the game where you can check off chocies that happen in teh game. For example, want Wrex alive? Then click that box saying you want hima live. You know, stuff like that. Mainly, im just worried about the porting job.   ME 2s default story is still plenty good. "
    I played it on Steam, lost my file, need to re-create one, this will be fine for me.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ravensword
    @phantomzxro:

thats all perfectly fine, but coudlnt you just rent it to get all that?
    DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By DXmagma

well apparently there's gonna be a very through opening  that hasn't been thoroughly explained, but it's heavily implied that you get to make decisions in it, so if you just bought the PC version of ME2 and had no control over the past decisions, that is a massive make up. also if they don't get connected to the characters from 1, they'll just get connected to the ones in ME2. i know for a fact when ME3 comes out the only team i'll use is garrus and grunt. until garrus gets mortally wounded and i have to switch out for the cold and calculating legion who saves my life and forces me to save the geth, ruining my relationship with tali.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jiggah
    @DXmagma said:
    " well apparently there's gonna be a very through opening  that hasn't been thoroughly explained, but it's heavily implied that you get to make decisions in it, so if you just bought the PC version of ME2 and had no control over the past decisions, that is a massive make up. also if they don't get connected to the characters from 1, they'll just get connected to the ones in ME2. i know for a fact when ME3 comes out the only team i'll use is garrus and grunt. until garrus gets mortally wounded and i have to switch out for the cold and calculating legion who saves my life and forces me to save the geth, ruining my relationship with tali. "
    Are you saying that it suppose to make up for the lack of a feature that allows you to pick critical decisions from ME1 on the PC?  I'm 100% sure the PC version allowed you to pick ME1 decisions.  As I've stated in another post, they only need a longer opening cinematic that goes over what happened in ME1.  After that they simply use the CURRENT system in ME2 that allows you to pick the critical decisions.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jasta
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " ME 2s default story is still plenty good. "

This is true.

But combined with a ME save it emits the very essence of awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.